Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Blaudschun--C-7 2013 Exit Still On The Table.
Bookmark and Share
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Blaudschun--C-7 2013 Exit Still On The Table.
The Big East’s television future is secure for the next seven years. Now Aresco and Company must make the break up with the Catholic 7 as smooth as possible. Sources in the Big East say that both sides are very close to reaching an agreement, perhaps as soon as the next few weeks.

The first major announcement will be the departure date. The consensus opinion seems to be that will be July of 2014, but on Saturday afternoon one Big East source said that a departure by this July is still being discussed. How that would work that quickly remains to be seen.

http://ajerseyguy.com/
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 04:32 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-23-2013 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Blaudschun--C-7 2013 Exit Still On The Table.
I'm to the point where I'll be stunned if 2013 DOESN'T happen!
02-23-2013 06:04 PM
monroedoctrine Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
I don't see how we can pass up $2.5 million to play SMU and Tulane. Not to mention Houston. And Central Florida.

Price will probably be the name.
02-23-2013 07:10 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(02-23-2013 07:10 PM)monroedoctrine Wrote:  I don't see how we can pass up $2.5 million to play SMU and Tulane. Not to mention Houston. And Central Florida.

Price will probably be the name.
Tulane not joining until 2014 anyway. But the other are joining this year.
02-23-2013 07:17 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I for one would be ok if we don't get the name. I mean, folks are going to know who the real deal is.
02-23-2013 07:20 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

i think something to watch is if there is a delay in the BE presidents voting for the new tv deal. My thinking is they are hammering out the final details of the split right now. i think the 10 million for next year was done by Aresco on purpose to force the split this year.
02-26-2013 08:45 AM
Advertisement

Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

I Root For: UConn
(02-26-2013 08:45 AM)stever20 Wrote:  i think something to watch is if there is a delay in the BE presidents voting for the new tv deal. My thinking is they are hammering out the final details of the split right now. i think the 10 million for next year was done by Aresco on purpose to force the split this year.

Just curious. Why would Aresco care about forcing anything?
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 10:20 AM by Melky Cabrera.)
02-26-2013 09:07 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-26-2013 09:07 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 08:45 AM)stever20 Wrote:  i think something to watch is if there is a delay in the BE presidents voting for the new tv deal. My thinking is they are hammering out the final details of the split right now. i think the 10 million for next year was done by Aresco on purpose to force the split this year.

Jusr curious. Why would Aresco care about forcing anything?

his schools would get more money per school...

i mean right now, lets say the fb deal is 15 million(last year of deal so a minimal jump from the average of the deal).

The total money coming into the conference is 25 million dollars...

if he only has 10 schools plus Notre Dame- with Rutgers and Louisville and ND not getting any money presumably since they withdrew- that's only 8 mouths to feed that 25 million dollars to.

If C7 is still there- that's 7 more mouths to feed.
02-26-2013 09:13 AM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(02-26-2013 09:13 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 09:07 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  

Jusr curious. Why would Aresco care about forcing anything?

his schools would get more money per school...

i mean right now, lets say the fb deal is 15 million(last year of deal so a minimal jump from the average of the deal).

The total money coming into the conference is 25 million dollars...

if he only has 10 schools plus Notre Dame- with Rutgers and Louisville and ND not getting any money presumably since they withdrew- that's only 8 mouths to feed that 25 million dollars to.

If C7 is still there- that's 7 more mouths to feed.

I understand the reasoning, but Aresco is a CEO, not a conference member. He's not going to make an extra dime one way or the other. If his membership has other reasons besides money why they want to keep it together for another year, why would he care? His job is to accomplish their agenda, not to be in conflict with it.

Your post implied that he is trying to force something that wouldn't otherwise happen, suggesting that the nBE presidents might be opposed to that. I don't see what would motivate him to create a subterfuge to accomplish this goal against the wishes of his membership.

Perhaps I'm reading what you said incorrectly.
02-26-2013 10:24 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

Of course Aresco isn't goign to get more money personally- but forcing this would get more money for his schools next year.

I do however think his league has some major schisms that are going to come out. I think for one there is almost ironically bigger schism between football and basketball than what the old big east had in the hybrid.

Also- I said back when the split took place that I thought Aresco with the Tulane add knew that it would force the split. I think he's wanted us gone(with the hybrid) for ever.
02-26-2013 10:30 AM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(02-26-2013 10:30 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Of course Aresco isn't goign to get more money personally- but forcing this would get more money for his schools next year.

I do however think his league has some major schisms that are going to come out. I think for one there is almost ironically bigger schism between football and basketball than what the old big east had in the hybrid.

Also- I said back when the split took place that I thought Aresco with the Tulane add knew that it would force the split. I think he's wanted us gone(with the hybrid) for ever.

You seem to think that Aresco has his own agenda. I'm not getting that. Why would he?

Your comment about a football/basketball schism is very interesting. Good point.
02-26-2013 10:41 AM
Advertisement

NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
(02-26-2013 10:41 AM)Melky Cabrera Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 10:30 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Of course Aresco isn't goign to get more money personally- but forcing this would get more money for his schools next year.

You seem to think that Aresco has his own agenda. I'm not getting that. Why would he?

Your comment about a football/basketball schism is very interesting. Good point.

Stever has his tin foil hat on for sure today. 03-lmfao
02-26-2013 11:01 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I think Aresco wanted us gone especially after seeing the TV money figures- because he knew he could get more per school for the football schools with a split than without a split.
02-26-2013 11:12 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-26-2013 11:12 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I think Aresco wanted us gone especially after seeing the TV money figures- because he knew he could get more per school for the football schools with a split than without a split.

I dont think so. I think Aresco had no real idea what he was walking into. The basketball schools have been seriously contemplating a split since last summer. Louisville's departure was the final straw (not Tulane).

Aresco made several attempts to keep the C-7 such as a proposal to add a couple of basketball only schools and to divide into divisions. The divisions would have been set up such that the C-7 along with UConn and Temple would have made up one division. All the newbies, Cinci, Memphis, along with Butler and another A-10 addition would have made up the other division. There would have been a home and home round robin in each division and some minimal cross division play (2 to 4 games). He offered the C-7 most of the benefits of a new conference without the split. Thoes are not the actions of a man who wants a split. I dont think he was at all interested in forcing a split. I think he simply had no idea of how to stop it (probably because there wasnt/isnt a way to stop it).
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 01:39 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-26-2013 01:39 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
It's possible that, once a split was happening, Aresco wants it as soon as possible. If he plans to sell us the name, there's no point to the incoming schools rebranding two years in a row--might as well roll out the Big 11/Metro Conference/Conference America this spring.

It's also possible that Aresco thought he could make his schools more money in over the whole contract by lowballing the 2013-14 basketball contract. He didn't get very much money though, so I'm not sure how that was supposed to work.
02-26-2013 01:53 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-26-2013 01:53 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  It's possible that, once a split was happening, Aresco wants it as soon as possible. If he plans to sell us the name, there's no point to the incoming schools rebranding two years in a row--might as well roll out the Big 11/Metro Conference/Conference America this spring.

It's also possible that Aresco thought he could make his schools more money in over the whole contract by lowballing the 2013-14 basketball contract. He didn't get very much money though, so I'm not sure how that was supposed to work.

maybe he did get more money???
02-26-2013 02:42 PM
Advertisement

HoyaAnt Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Georgetown
I am not sure how the voting for the new BE TV contracts actually works. If the B7 have a vote then perhaps they can use that as leverage to leave this coming July as oppose to 2014. In addition, since the conference has now secure their TV contract with ESPN, perhaps its best for both the B7 and the current conference to go their separate ways and avoid prelonging the obvious.
02-26-2013 02:54 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(02-26-2013 02:42 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 01:53 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  It's possible that, once a split was happening, Aresco wants it as soon as possible. If he plans to sell us the name, there's no point to the incoming schools rebranding two years in a row--might as well roll out the Big 11/Metro Conference/Conference America this spring.

maybe he did get more money???

That would mean that, if you separate 2013-14 from the multi-year deal, those guys are getting even less than $20M per year. That's unlikely. Possible, if Aresco was insisting on a certain level of basic-cable football coverage that Fox wasn't interested in.
02-26-2013 03:00 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns

Well if we do leave after this season and take the name do they get to keep their BCS AQ for that last season?
02-26-2013 03:16 PM
Melky Cabrera Offline
Bill Bradley

(02-26-2013 03:16 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  

Well if we do leave after this season and take the name do they get to keep their BCS AQ for that last season?

Of course they do.
02-26-2013 03:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.