This Type Of Fundraising Would Solve All Our Needs
02-20-2013 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tkgrrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: This Type Of Fundraising Would Solve All Our Needs
ehh... what they don't tell you is that their operating budget is over $3 billion/yr. Harvard's is $3.5 billion and they still have the worst athletic and gym facilities on earth. The more they raise, the more tuition goes up.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 09:27 AM by tkgrrett.)
02-20-2013 09:21 AM
Original Sabretooth Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Mempho
(02-20-2013 09:21 AM)tkgrrett Wrote:  ehh... what they don't tell you is that their operating budget is over $3 billion/yr. Harvard's is $3.5 billion and they still have the worst athletic and gym facilities on earth.

Someone needs to tell those idiots they're throwing their money at the wrong projects.
02-20-2013 09:27 AM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

I Root For: Memphis
I guess we could raise a billion too if the founders of Google were Memphis grads and Silicon Valley were in the heart of Desoto County.
02-20-2013 09:30 AM
tkgrrett Offline
All American

(02-20-2013 09:27 AM)Original Sabretooth Wrote:  
(02-20-2013 09:21 AM)tkgrrett Wrote:  ehh... what they don't tell you is that their operating budget is over $3 billion/yr. Harvard's is $3.5 billion and they still have the worst athletic and gym facilities on earth.

Someone needs to tell those idiots they're throwing their money at the wrong projects.

Well.. I mean, it definitely isn't increasing the quality of education or reducing tuition so might as well throw students some kind of bone before you split it amongst administrators.
02-20-2013 09:32 AM
Advertisement

Stammers Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Most people know this about Harvard, but I didn't realize the extent of it until I spent time talking to friend's son a few years ago. He said that there were guest speakers at many of his lectures - not just any guest speakers, but industry titans in every field imagineable.
02-20-2013 09:48 AM
QuitoTiger Offline
¿Q' hubo, pues?

"This type".....is not from the blue collar ranks... "which shows that elite institutions continue to grab a disproportionate share of donor dollars."

"In the 2012 fiscal year, roughly 3,500 U.S. colleges and universities raised $31 billion, 2.3 percent more than the previous year. The record was set in 2008 when schools took in $31.6 billion before fundraising dropped during the height of the financial crisis.
"We're climbing out of the doldrums," said survey director Ann Kaplan. "We haven't returned to the high point of 2008, but we're approaching it. I think you can say that about a lot of industries."
Topping the list was Stanford at $1.035 billion, followed by Harvard University at $650 million, Yale University at $544 million, the University of Southern California at $492 million and Columbia University at $490 million."

It's a worthy high bar, but on a different playing field. I suppose 'Dreamers, Thinkers, Doers' could be revamped and morph in to something like 'Visionaries, Radicals, Activists' or something more vital. Maybe some day....
02-20-2013 09:56 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
The Big East needs to add Columbia and Harvard to capture the NY and Boston markets.

# snicker
02-20-2013 10:23 AM
tkgrrett Offline
All American

(02-20-2013 09:48 AM)Stammers Wrote:  Most people know this about Harvard, but I didn't realize the extent of it until I spent time talking to friend's son a few years ago. He said that there were guest speakers at many of his lectures - not just any guest speakers, but industry titans in every field imagineable.

This is true. I did a project analyzing corporate takeovers at the b-school and the professor was able to get us interviews with the actual people involved in every takeover we studied.

Tuition costs still make me angry though.
02-20-2013 10:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.