Bookmark and Share
aughnanure Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Marquette
MU Source: WaPo rumors not true
FWIW

MU: League rumors not true
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/191910991.html

Newark, N.J. - A Marquette official said Tuesday night that major portions of a Washington Post story about a new league with two divisions of six teams each wasn't true.

According to the story, the East division would be Georgetown, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, Providence and either Richmond or Siena. The West or Midwest division would be Marquette, DePaul, St. Louis, Xavier, Dayton and Butler.

Marquette doesn't see Richmond or Siena as part of its new league.

It was also reported that Georgetown President John J. DeGioia is the person "who has been charged with piecing together the new league" because the six other Catholic 7 presidents are interested in the process.

Marquette disputed that, too.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 09:10 PM by aughnanure.)
02-19-2013 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
RE: MU Source: WaPo rumors not true
shocking... oh wait no its not
02-19-2013 09:11 PM
bostonspider Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Richmond
Marquette does not want UR, not a real surprise. . I would imagine they want Xavier, Dayton, SLU, Creighton and Butler. It will be interesting to see who among the 7 gets what they want. I cannot imagine the eastern 5 really want all the additions to be from the Midwest.
02-19-2013 09:51 PM
aughnanure Offline
2nd String

(02-19-2013 09:51 PM)bostonspider Wrote:  Marquette does not want UR, not a real surprise. . I would imagine they want Xavier, Dayton, SLU, Creighton and Butler. It will be interesting to see who among the 7 gets what they want. I cannot imagine the eastern 5 really want all the additions to be from the Midwest.

Marquette doesn't care about Dayton. Marquette wants Creighton and SLU. I would be fine with Richie Rich over UD and hope MU and DePaul would take that trade.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 09:56 PM by aughnanure.)
02-19-2013 09:53 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

I Root For: VCU
(02-19-2013 09:53 PM)aughnanure Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 09:51 PM)bostonspider Wrote:  Marquette does not want UR, not a real surprise. . I would imagine they want Xavier, Dayton, SLU, Creighton and Butler. It will be interesting to see who among the 7 gets what they want. I cannot imagine the eastern 5 really want all the additions to be from the Midwest.

Marquette doesn't care about Dayton. Marquette wants Creighton and SLU. I would be fine with Richie Rich over UD and hope MU and DePaul would take that trade.
Huh. Funny that Williams' has only ever mentioned Butler and VCU then.
02-19-2013 10:24 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
(02-19-2013 09:11 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  shocking... oh wait no its not

Those Providence sources seem to know what they are talking about...
02-19-2013 10:29 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
might want to reread the article:
Marquette doesn't see Detroit, which was mentioned as a possibility, or Siena as part of its new league.

not a word in there about Richmond.
02-19-2013 10:31 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
(02-19-2013 10:31 PM)stever20 Wrote:  might want to reread the article:
Marquette doesn't see Detroit, which was mentioned as a possibility, or Siena as part of its new league.

not a word in there about Richmond.

The article says, "Marquette doesn't see Richmond or Siena as part of its new league."
02-19-2013 10:32 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

No it does not. The Bolded sentence in the blog now says "Marquette doesn't see Detroit, which was mentioned as a possibility, or Siena as part of its new league."
02-19-2013 10:35 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
You are both right. except stever is right..er because it looks like it was updated to correct that sentence. So you guys might have read it before the "correction" was made before this - "Updated: 9:26 p.m." time.

I can see Marquette going for VCU and Georgetown aiming for Richmond.
02-19-2013 10:45 PM
bostonspider Offline
2nd String

Very interesting. Sounds like someone effed up. Marquette very well might not want UR in the new conference, but if Villanova and Georgetown do, I would bet it happens.
02-19-2013 11:02 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-19-2013 10:45 PM)ivet Wrote:  You are both right. except stever is right..er because it looks like it was updated to correct that sentence. So you guys might have read it before the "correction" was made before this - "Updated: 9:26 p.m." time.

lol, the good ole updated story.

makes me think Richmond may be really in play then, as someone at Marquette would have set the story straight to the blogger...
02-19-2013 11:07 PM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

(02-19-2013 11:07 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 10:45 PM)ivet Wrote:  You are both right. except stever is right..er because it looks like it was updated to correct that sentence. So you guys might have read it before the "correction" was made before this - "Updated: 9:26 p.m." time.

lol, the good ole updated story.

makes me think Richmond may be really in play then, as someone at Marquette would have set the story straight to the blogger...
Occam's Razor: the correction was made to reiterate that Detroit and Siena aren't options, otherwise it reads as Detroit being an option and we know that's not true. Seems like an errant, hasty blog post and not a tip of the cards.
02-19-2013 11:23 PM
aughnanure Offline
2nd String

Wow. That was fast.
02-19-2013 11:33 PM
monroedoctrine Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
If Georgetown wants Richmond in, I am kind of shocked. If Georgetown wants a Richmond team, however, expect it to happen. No offense to Marquette.
02-20-2013 06:41 AM
aughnanure Offline
2nd String

(02-20-2013 06:41 AM)monroedoctrine Wrote:  If Georgetown wants Richmond in, I am kind of shocked. If Georgetown wants a Richmond team, however, expect it to happen. No offense to Marquette.

It's not that Marquette doesn't want Richmond. It's that they want SLU and Creighton. And Georgetown ain't Texas in this conference. Richmond is quite a reach when you have 2 currently successful Jesuit/Catholic universities sitting their to grab. Here's hoping Dayton is the loser in all this. I've only heard St. John's is the one in their corner.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 09:46 AM by aughnanure.)
02-20-2013 09:46 AM
Advertisement

monroedoctrine Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-20-2013 09:46 AM)aughnanure Wrote:  And Georgetown ain't Texas in this conference.

Don't be so sure.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 10:01 AM by monroedoctrine.)
02-20-2013 10:01 AM
nathanhm Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-20-2013 10:01 AM)monroedoctrine Wrote:  
(02-20-2013 09:46 AM)aughnanure Wrote:  And Georgetown ain't Texas in this conference.

Don't be so sure.

I don't think Georgetown is Texas by any stretch of the imagination but I think academically and basketball wise we are the #1 school in the league. That being said you can't play basketball with yourself so its essential the schools maintain positive working relationships with each other.

From a conference leadership perspective I see that responsibility being split upon 5 of the C7. Seton Hall & DePaul being the exceptions.

Its also important when we invite the 5 schools who are joining us we integrate them into conference leadership quickly.
02-20-2013 10:18 AM
bostonspider Offline
2nd String

(02-20-2013 06:41 AM)monroedoctrine Wrote:  If Georgetown wants Richmond in, I am kind of shocked. If Georgetown wants a Richmond team, however, expect it to happen. No offense to Marquette.

Looking at this from President John J. DeGioia's point of view, I am not really surprised Richmond would be very attractive. They are the most highly ranked academically of all the candidates, and would probably be second only to Georgetown in rankings in the new conference. I am sure the administrations are familiar with each other, especially as UR's former president, still a professor on campus, was VP of Georgetown prior. Richmond is undoubtedly wealthy, and has the ability through donors and athletic endowment to spend what is necessary to be competitive and thrive. Richmond is less than two hours from Georgetown, so the Hoyas get a close local rival, which is still in a separate media market. Richmond and Georgetown already play each other in many of the olympic sports. Richmond's athletic program has been quite strong in the A10, and the basketball team has been very competitive. Richmond will be bringing a men's lacrosse team to the new conference, which we know is important to Georgetown. Their coaches, JTIII and Mooney likely know each other fairly well because of the Princeton connection. Lots of little reasons that make it very understandable that Georgetown might want Richmond. I would think Marquette would have similar connections with some of the midwest candidates.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 10:22 AM by bostonspider.)
02-20-2013 10:21 AM
thegalen Offline
2nd String

No doubt GT and Marquette have a lot of weight to swing around (as they should), but let's remember who is really in charge here:
Quote:DeFilippo said the move was dictated in part by the expansion of the Southeastern Conference to include Texas A&M, which prompted the Big 12 to inquire about Pittsburgh, which is in the Northeast, an area in which the ACC felt it necessary to expand.
“Mike Krzyzewski didn’t stop expansion the last time and he was not going to start expansion this time,’’ said DeFilippo, who added that the mega-deals negotiated with the Big 12 and Pac-12 in recent months had caused an “unbelievable shift in the marketplace.’’

“Did [Richard] Brodhead [Duke president] help with this thing? Sure, he’s chair [of the expansion committee].’’

ACC commissioner John Swofford also emphasized that the expansion plans had many purposes, including elevating basketball.

“We wanted to do what is best for the conference,’’ he said, “in not only increasing our footprint in the Northeast but to help us competitively in all areas with schools who would also fit into what we wanted in the profile of our schools.

“Pittsburgh and Syracuse both are good fits, and they both have outstanding basketball programs. That’s definitely a plus.’’

The overwhelming force behind the move, DeFilippo insisted, was television money.

The ACC just signed a new deal with ESPN that will increase the revenue for each school to approximately $13 million. With the addition of Pittsburgh and Syracuse, said DeFilippo, another significant increase will come.

“We always keep our television partners close to us,’’ he said. “You don’t get extra money for basketball. It’s 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do....’
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/ar...?page=full

The map and the money, and then basketball, are the biggest drivers here.
02-20-2013 11:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.