Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is this sponsorship worth it?
Bookmark and Share
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
Is this sponsorship worth it?
In this day and age, I realize big money is big money; but the possibilities for jokes and negative connections makes this a questionable partnership.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-s...ncaaf.html
02-19-2013 05:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

I Root For: NIU
RE: Is this sponsorship worth it?
Too bad Miami doesn't have their own stadium.
02-19-2013 05:25 PM
numbersdontlie Offline
Livin in a van down by the river.

$5M is $5M i'd be laughing all the way to the bank.
02-19-2013 07:31 PM
7huskie6 Offline
2nd String

Truly THE BIG HOUSE.
02-19-2013 07:34 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
I'd be glad for NIU to have that $5mil
02-19-2013 07:55 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
What is a prison going to get out of sponsorship? It's not like criminals have a choice on where they have to serve their prison sentences.
02-19-2013 08:37 PM
Advertisement

thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
I can think of a lot worse sponsorships... mostly women's hygiene products, but there are others too that are worse than a prison company.
02-19-2013 10:04 PM
MrSaturdayMorning Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Big Northern
(02-19-2013 08:37 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  What is a prison going to get out of sponsorship? It's not like criminals have a choice on where they have to serve their prison sentences.
GEO Group is a publicly traded company - stadium sponsorship helps with brand awareness and may attract new investors. Privatization of corrections also continues to be a widely debated topic, so they may be looking to help swing public opinion in their favor.
02-19-2013 11:06 PM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(02-19-2013 07:31 PM)numbersdontlie Wrote:  $5M is $5M i'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

why would a company that owns and runs prisons spend $5M to advertise.
02-20-2013 08:38 AM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(02-20-2013 08:38 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 07:31 PM)numbersdontlie Wrote:  $5M is $5M i'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

why would a company that owns and runs prisons spend $5M to advertise.

Someone's figured out how to make money in incarceration.

Yay for the human race.
02-20-2013 08:54 AM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2013 11:06 PM)MrSaturdayMorning Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 08:37 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  What is a prison going to get out of sponsorship? It's not like criminals have a choice on where they have to serve their prison sentences.
GEO Group is a publicly traded company - stadium sponsorship helps with brand awareness and may attract new investors. Privatization of corrections also continues to be a widely debated topic, so they may be looking to help swing public opinion in their favor.

I posted the same thing on the Sun Belt board, and an FAU fan said: "This was a gift from thier Foundation that is setup to give back to communities. The CEO is an FAU alum and wanted to give back to the University. Thats why they keep saying this is not a "marketing" deal but a "Gift""
02-20-2013 09:18 AM
Advertisement

MrSaturdayMorning Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Big Northern
(02-20-2013 09:18 AM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 11:06 PM)MrSaturdayMorning Wrote:  

I posted the same thing on the Sun Belt board, and an FAU fan said: "This was a gift from thier Foundation that is setup to give back to communities. The CEO is an FAU alum and wanted to give back to the University. Thats why they keep saying this is not a "marketing" deal but a "Gift""
It may be the case that they were looking for an institution to give to, and the CEO used his influence to make that institution FAU, but from a distance, but the final result (at least to casual observers) is that GEO Group gave FAU money, and FAU in turn named their stadium after the GEO Group. From a distance, it wouldn't look much different than if the official account was that the GEO Group simply bought the naming rights.
02-21-2013 06:35 PM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Where would a prison company financed by the government have $5M to give to a University FB team?
Is it a privately run prison company?
02-21-2013 06:56 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

(02-21-2013 06:56 PM)sterling1man Wrote:  Where would a prison company financed by the government have $5M to give to a University FB team?
Is it a privately run prison company?

It's private run. Or maybe it is publicly traded. But it is not govt run.
02-21-2013 07:35 PM
cagy cager Offline
1st String

republicans, who are all for locking up black folks, will support the "privitazation" of prisons cuz it will make money and decrease government spending....of course, the fact that these sleazy companies will partner with crooked prosecutors and judges to lock up innocent folks won't matter as PROFIT is the main motive, not JUSTICE....
02-21-2013 10:57 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
Here's an article that shows how the for-profit prison system depends on and contributes to high incarceration rates. Not hard to believe since inmates are the raw material for their factory as it were.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/26/opinio...ofits.html

The U.S. has the highest incarceration rates in the world with the possible exception of North Korea. There are a lot of reasons for that but these guys are likely contributing to it. This stadium naming things smells kind of like the Joe Camel advertising campaign from years ago when the tobacco industry tried to make smoking seem fun and harmless. I'm a little surprised any university would accept their money.
02-21-2013 11:30 PM
Advertisement

cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(02-21-2013 10:57 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  republicans, who are all for locking up black folks, will support the "privitazation" of prisons cuz it will make money and decrease government spending....of course, the fact that these sleazy companies will partner with crooked prosecutors and judges to lock up innocent folks won't matter as PROFIT is the main motive, not JUSTICE....

Let's keep that on the S&N board, please.
02-22-2013 08:52 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(02-22-2013 08:52 AM)cawoo22 Wrote:  
(02-21-2013 10:57 PM)cagy cager Wrote:  republicans, who are all for locking up black folks, will support the "privitazation" of prisons cuz it will make money and decrease government spending....of course, the fact that these sleazy companies will partner with crooked prosecutors and judges to lock up innocent folks won't matter as PROFIT is the main motive, not JUSTICE....

Let's keep that on the S&N board, please.

Cagy is on the racist kick again. He's pissed because some of us do not like Eddie Williams. Gotta be racist! Guess he wasn't around when several of us praised Chief Grady.

I can't stand Drew Peterson. Excuse me for being anti-white.
02-22-2013 09:12 AM
timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

This is off topic, but why does it say West Division Title for 2011 in MidnightBlueGold's sig? Am I missing something?
02-23-2013 09:48 AM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

(02-23-2013 09:48 AM)timxlydon Wrote:  This is off topic, but why does it say West Division Title for 2011 in MidnightBlueGold's sig? Am I missing something?

Because UT finished with the same MAC record (7-1) as NIU. Therefore, UT was West division co-champ with NIU.
02-23-2013 10:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.