Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Johnny Football's Class Schedule
Bookmark and Share
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
Johnny Football's Class Schedule
Johnny Heisman might be hard to find on campus this semester. People wondered how Johnny Manziel would handle all of the attention on the Texas A&M campus after winning the Heisman Trophy in December. Apparently, there's at least a semester-long solution: He's taking all four of his courses online. Manziel said [Monday] while at the Fort Worth Club for the Davey O'Brien Award dinner that he's only on campus -- outside of the actual Bright football building -- about once a month this semester. "It just happened to work out where it was good after the football season with all of the stuff going on," Manziel said. "It was a good time to not have to worry about being on campus and some other things, too."
02-19-2013 05:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
RE: Johnny Football's Class Schedule
Not a big deal. And not very uncommon these days. Hell, what's the point of attending classes on-campus when you can get the same credit for the same class from the comfort of your couch while drinking a six-pack?
02-19-2013 05:27 PM
PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
(02-19-2013 05:27 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  Not a big deal. And not very uncommon these days. Hell, what's the point of attending classes on-campus when you can get the same credit for the same class from the comfort of your couch while drinking a six-pack?

just a six-pack? maybe for breakfast 04-cheers
02-19-2013 05:48 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
Four classes?
02-19-2013 05:56 PM
PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

(02-19-2013 05:56 PM)DiehardHuskie Wrote:  Four classes?

minimum is generally 12 credit hours. 3 per class plus any hours if a class has a lab.
02-19-2013 05:59 PM
Advertisement

Poliicious Offline
1st String

I Root For: WildcatsHuskies
whatever credits he's short he can make up in intersession or summer school.
02-19-2013 08:22 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
I bet he'll take 4 BS online classes in the fall, then go pro. He's basically done with serious classes in school now, I bet.

And usually, at least at Toledo, you would have to take all your legitimate classes (core classes) in person. There were a ton of electives online, but barely any core classes. So this basically shows he isn't taking any serious classes right now.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 08:34 PM by MidnightBlueGold.)
02-19-2013 08:34 PM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(02-19-2013 05:27 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  Not a big deal. And not very uncommon these days. Hell, what's the point of attending classes on-campus when you can get the same credit for the same class from the comfort of your couch while drinking a six-pack?

Don't you think a part of your education is being in a classroom exchanging ideas and conversation about the subject matter. Don't you learn how to interact with people when you are in a classroom. I think online education is kind of a sad commetary on education these days.
02-20-2013 08:45 AM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(02-19-2013 08:34 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  I bet he'll take 4 BS online classes in the fall, then go pro. He's basically done with serious classes in school now, I bet.

And usually, at least at Toledo, you would have to take all your legitimate classes (core classes) in person. There were a ton of electives online, but barely any core classes. So this basically shows he isn't taking any serious classes right now.

Well, there are certain guidelines about adequate progress toward a degree to avoid just loading up on random electives. However, how seriously those guidelines are taken at SEC schools is certainly up for debate.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if A&M didn't have the same policy toward online classes that Toledo does (by the way, I think Toledo's way is the right way to go. Online classes provide nice flexibility, but I'm a little incredulous at any degree that can be attained without stepping on campus).
02-20-2013 08:51 AM
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2013 08:45 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  

Don't you think a part of your education is being in a classroom exchanging ideas and conversation about the subject matter. Don't you learn how to interact with people when you are in a classroom. I think online education is kind of a sad commetary on education these days.

Well, not too many professors agree with your point. I had many classes where there was no participation at all. Sit on your ass, watch some power points and try not to fall asleep was most of my education at NIU.

I learn to interact with people at bars. I get an A for that.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 10:16 AM by HuskieRak.)
02-20-2013 10:16 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators

Completely agree, but that's modern education. It's also texting and e-mailing. Human contact and interaction is a thing of the past. These days, you can even have sex without human contact. Pretty sad IMO.
02-20-2013 10:24 AM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
I think if you're Johnny Manziel, you might find it much easier to learn online. If the courses are legitimate, and he's actually doing school work, I think he's probably much better off not dealing with the classroom.

I imagine a lot of A&M students are also better off not having the distraction of him being there. On the face of it, I realize it looks a bit ridiculous for a kid to not be in school, but there are plenty of good reasons to not have a celebrity in your classroom for both him and everybody else (which he really is at this point, let's be real).
02-20-2013 10:32 AM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2013 10:24 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

Completely agree, but that's modern education. It's also texting and e-mailing. Human contact and interaction is a thing of the past. These days, you can even have sex without human contact. Pretty sad IMO.

I think that might be an issue for some online education's, but I don't think it applies here. Manziel is the leader and face of a team of 100 people. He has plenty of human contact and interaction. More than most of us. I don't think human interaction is an issue here. He's learning plenty about how to deal with people out of the classroom.

If he was in the classroom's, I don't know if he'd be learning anything about human interaction other than how to sign autographs and avoid his classmate's cell phone camera's.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 10:34 AM by HuskieFan84.)
02-20-2013 10:33 AM
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

From what my coworkers say (all Florida grads), Tebow was consistently hounded when he was on campus. Students, and non-students would basically stalk him early morning when he was going to class. Is that something you would want to deal with?
02-20-2013 11:46 AM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(02-20-2013 11:46 AM)HuskieRak Wrote:  From what my coworkers say (all Florida grads), Tebow was consistently hounded when he was on campus. Students, and non-students would basically stalk him early morning when he was going to class. Is that something you would want to deal with?

Apparently Manziel had a normal, in person English class. He showed up the first day and everyone asked him for pictures and autographs. I'm sure most of them posted about it on facebook afterward. That building would've been swarmed by students if Manziel had kept showing up for class and nothing would have gotten accomplished for him or anyone else in the class.

Also, he's not going to graduate. He has his eyes set on the NFL. Nothing wrong with that.
02-20-2013 12:44 PM
PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

Pablo Torre brought up this point on Around The Horn yesterday. If Natalie Portman can attend classes at Harvard after starring as Padme in Star Wars, Manziel should be able to handle classes at A&M.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 01:17 PM by PeoriaHuskie11.)
02-20-2013 01:16 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2013 01:16 PM)PeoriaHuskie11 Wrote:  Pablo Torre brought up this point on Around The Horn yesterday. If Natalie Portman can attend classes at Harvard after starring as Padme in Star Wars, Manziel should be able to handle classes at A&M.

That's a terrible comparison for a lot of reasons.
02-20-2013 04:52 PM
Advertisement

PeoriaHuskie11 Offline
1st String

(02-20-2013 04:52 PM)HuskieFan84 Wrote:  
(02-20-2013 01:16 PM)PeoriaHuskie11 Wrote:  Pablo Torre brought up this point on Around The Horn yesterday. If Natalie Portman can attend classes at Harvard after starring as Padme in Star Wars, Manziel should be able to handle classes at A&M.

That's a terrible comparison for a lot of reasons.

Yeah, Portman's fame would be a lot more distracting, at least for me03-cloud9
02-20-2013 05:35 PM
Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
This guy's got every sorority girl on A&M's campus plus a few more after him. Hard to focus inclass with all the distractions.
02-21-2013 06:26 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

One reason why our education system is a complete joke. Internet too. My nephew had to translate a paper from Spanish for homework. Right to the net, spanish to english conversion, done.

Even Chicago Public schools figured this out. An admin I know said that homework is almost worthless now.

Maybe a T A &M education is about as worthless as the numerous for profit online schools. But then again, he is Johnny Football and from his attitude, makes his own rules.
02-23-2013 08:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.