Open TigerLinks

Travis Ford defends Zags and Memphis
Bookmark and Share
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
On Tim Brando show this morning, John Rothstein was guess hosting. He said it's hard to evaluate teams like Gonzaga and Memphis due to the conferences they play in. Travis Ford, Okie State's coach, said Gonzaga is the best team they've played this year. Also said it doesn't matter whom you play. What matters is looking at players on the team and their talent level, and how they play together despite the opponent.

Pastner was on the same show earlier. Apparently, he and Rothstein had a Twitter debate about this last night. Rothstein did say that we played well against Louisville, and asked how much we had improved since then. It was apparent he hasn't seen us play since then.

Not gonna change that perception until we go to the Big East.
02-19-2013 01:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Zhivago Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Travis Ford defends Zags and Memphis
(02-19-2013 01:31 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Rothstein did say that we played well against Louisville, and asked how much we had improved since then. It was apparent he hasn't seen us play since then.

Rothstein has been in studio at halftime for all of the recent games on CBS College Sports. He's had something to say each time, usually pretty flattering. (Duh, we've been crushing people at the half lately.) So it's kind of weird for him to make a comment like the one you quoted.
02-19-2013 01:36 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(02-19-2013 01:36 PM)Zhivago Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 01:31 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Rothstein did say that we played well against Louisville, and asked how much we had improved since then. It was apparent he hasn't seen us play since then.

Rothstein has been in studio at halftime for all of the recent games on CBS College Sports. He's had something to say each time, usually pretty flattering. (Duh, we've been crushing people at the half lately.) So it's kind of weird for him to make a comment like the one you quoted.

That's right. I forgot that. I usually ignore the halftime shows and flip to other games. Apparently, he asked the question for the audience's benefit, not his own. Definitely a common perception out there.
02-19-2013 01:49 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
Travis Ford the old UK point guard?
02-19-2013 02:12 PM
Derby Offline
tigris rex

DonatorsSkunkworksCrappiesDonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
(02-19-2013 02:12 PM)fsquid Wrote:  Travis Ford the old UK point guard?

yes
02-19-2013 02:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(02-19-2013 01:31 PM)TripleA Wrote:  On Tim Brando show this morning, John Rothstein was guess hosting. He said it's hard to evaluate teams like Gonzaga and Memphis due to the conferences they play in. Travis Ford, Okie State's coach, said Gonzaga is the best team they've played this year. Also said it doesn't matter whom you play. What matters is looking at players on the team and their talent level, and how they play together despite the opponent.

Pastner was on the same show earlier. Apparently, he and Rothstein had a Twitter debate about this last night. Rothstein did say that we played well against Louisville, and asked how much we had improved since then. It was apparent he hasn't seen us play since then.

he was a damn good point guard at uk (pre cal - before we hated them), he is from madisonville, ky. someone that posts here, madtiger i think, is from there.

travis ford has street cred. rothstein, not so much.

rothstien is every twitter boys dream
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 02:34 PM by shere khan.)
02-19-2013 02:26 PM
Advertisement

MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2013 01:31 PM)TripleA Wrote:  On Tim Brando show this morning, John Rothstein was guess hosting. He said it's hard to evaluate teams like Gonzaga and Memphis due to the conferences they play in. Travis Ford, Okie State's coach, said Gonzaga is the best team they've played this year. Also said it doesn't matter whom you play. What matters is looking at players on the team and their talent level, and how they play together despite the opponent.

The Big East, as we know it, has one good year left if you're talking about greatly enhanced competition. If you're talking about higher visibility, some on here have already expressed their dire opinion of NBC Sport's viewership. If that's true, and I'm not saying I believe it is, where would the change in perception come from.
02-19-2013 02:38 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
Yeah, even though Rothstein has been watching us play, he just can't get past that non-power conference bias that so many have. At least this is our last year to worry about it, hopefully.
02-19-2013 02:39 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
MTigerBlue, yeah, the BE changes greatly after next season, but unless we lose more teams, we'll be playing Cincy, UConn and Temple in conference, maybe even twice apiece. All have good reps and are frequent tourney teams, so it will still be much better than the current CUSA. And we can still play UL OOC.

If we lose those guys to more raids, then we have to hope we go, too. But meanwhile, still much better.
02-19-2013 02:49 PM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(02-19-2013 02:49 PM)TripleA Wrote:  MTigerBlue, yeah, the BE changes greatly after next season, but unless we lose more teams, we'll be playing Cincy, UConn and Temple in conference, maybe even twice apiece. All have good reps and are frequent tourney teams, so it will still be much better than the current CUSA. And we can still play UL OOC.

If we lose those guys to more raids, then we have to hope we go, too. But meanwhile, still much better.

Plus we will probably be playing some C7 teams after next year.
02-19-2013 03:03 PM
Willie Becton Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Fair Play.

yep
02-19-2013 03:05 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(02-19-2013 03:03 PM)Stammers Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 02:49 PM)TripleA Wrote:  MTigerBlue, yeah, the BE changes greatly after next season, but unless we lose more teams, we'll be playing Cincy, UConn and Temple in conference, maybe even twice apiece. All have good reps and are frequent tourney teams, so it will still be much better than the current CUSA. And we can still play UL OOC.

Plus we will probably be playing some C7 teams after next year.

Not sure. If we play 18 or more conference games, continue to play 18 home games, keep UL as OOC, and possibly play OM and UT to help football, that leaves little room for any home and homes elsewhere.
02-19-2013 03:47 PM
EarthBoundMisfit Offline
Tongue tied and twisted

I Root For: CardiacAblation
(02-19-2013 02:26 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

he was a damn good point guard at uk (pre cal - before we hated them),he is from madisonville, ky. someone that posts here, madtiger i think, is from there.

travis ford has street cred. rothstein, not so much.

rothstien is every twitter boys dream

Madtiger may be from here I dunno...but I am the MT.org poster living in Madisonville,KY. (I'm FROM Memphis,TN however....)
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 03:54 PM by EarthBoundMisfit.)
02-19-2013 03:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger USA Offline
1st String

Don't really like Rothstein too much but..

It seems like an good lead-in question to ask the coach. Nice complement and then throws it over to Pastner for comment - better than answering the question first and then throwing it over to Pastner.

I think our fan base is too sensitive about this topic - it's a legitimate question and as we climb the rankings and get more exposure & TV time we have to answer the question.
02-19-2013 04:05 PM
princessbuttercup1963 Offline
All American

What are their twitter account names. I would like to read the twitter war. I didn't know Josh had a twitter account.
02-19-2013 04:24 PM
lenetzach Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Tigers
I understand that it is a question a lot of uninformed fans have.

But if any analyst or fan cannot evaluate a team that they have seen play, I won't waste my time listening to anything else they have to say. You either can or you can't.
02-19-2013 05:03 PM
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
It is easy to see why Gonzaga is where they are: wins vs. Oklahom and Ok State. Wins over Kansas State and Baylor (hell they are rolling through the Big 12). Loss on a last second shot @ Butler and Illinois.
02-19-2013 05:08 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2013 02:38 PM)MTigerBlue Wrote:  The Big East, as we know it, has one good year left if you're talking about greatly enhanced competition. If you're talking about higher visibility, some on here have already expressed their dire opinion of NBC Sport's viewership. If that's true, and I'm not saying I believe it is, where would the change in perception come from.

Assuming that Temple and UConn hang around, there will be much more media focus on the Tigers in far larger markets than we presently have.

A ranked Tigers team going into the Philly or NYC/Connecticut markets against a ranked Temple or UConn team will be a big game attracting national attention, far more than us against USM in Hattiesburg. No slur against USM.

Cincy too, to a lesser extent.
02-19-2013 05:21 PM
BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

(02-19-2013 05:03 PM)lenetzach Wrote:  I understand that it is a question a lot of uninformed fans have.

But if any analyst or fan cannot evaluate a team that they have seen play, I won't waste my time listening to anything else they have to say. You either can or you can't.

As TripleA mentioned he may have asked the question for the benefit of the audience, thus allowing Josh to respond in his own words.

There have been too many analysts commenting on our improved play since the Louisville game for him not to hear it IMO. Plus he's seen us play since UL.
02-19-2013 05:41 PM
BealeStreetTiger Offline
Banned

(02-19-2013 05:08 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  It is easy to see why Gonzaga is where they are: wins vs. Oklahom and Ok State. Wins over Kansas State and Baylor (hell they are rolling through the Big 12). Loss on a last second shot @ Butler and Illinois.

They also whipped up a good ST Mary’s team in their own house. Hopefully most of the OC teams we schedule in the future won’t have a down year like some have had this season.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 05:48 PM by BealeStreetTiger.)
02-19-2013 05:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.