Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Make a nomination for 2013 Hall of Fame
Bookmark and Share
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
Make a nomination for 2013 Hall of Fame
Just saw this on facebook. I looked at the alphabetic listing and was very surprised to not see Coach Joe's name.

I think an NIU alum needs to nominate Joe Novak for the Huskie Hall of Fame. I am not an alum...

http://www.niuhuskies.com/genrel/021813aac.html
02-19-2013 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
RE: Make a nomination for 2013 Hall of Fame
(02-19-2013 11:29 AM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  Just saw this on facebook. I looked at the alphabetic listing and was very surprised to not see Coach Joe's name.

I think an NIU alum needs to nominate Joe Novak for the Huskie Hall of Fame. I am not an alum...

This will be Coach Novak's first crack at eligibility, since we just completed his fifth season since his retirement.

Quote:The NIU Athletics Hall of Fame is open to standout Huskie student-athletes and teams 10 years after the completion of their eligibility and to coaches and administrators five years after their retirement/departure from NIU. In order to be measured for induction, the individual or team must have provided outstanding contributions to intercollegiate athletics at Northern Illinois University. Anyone can send in nominations for any all-time Huskie standout or team to be considered by the committee.

It doesn't need to be an alum to put forward a nomination.
02-19-2013 12:06 PM
golf4501 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-19-2013 12:06 PM)cawoo22 Wrote:  
(02-19-2013 11:29 AM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  Just saw this on facebook. I looked at the alphabetic listing and was very surprised to not see Coach Joe's name.

This will be Coach Novak's first crack at eligibility, since we just completed his fifth season since his retirement.

Quote:The NIU Athletics Hall of Fame is open to standout Huskie student-athletes and teams 10 years after the completion of their eligibility and to coaches and administrators five years after their retirement/departure from NIU. In order to be measured for induction, the individual or team must have provided outstanding contributions to intercollegiate athletics at Northern Illinois University. Anyone can send in nominations for any all-time Huskie standout or team to be considered by the committee.

It doesn't need to be an alum to put forward a nomination.

Thomas Hammock needs to be nominated as well. If I read the rules correctly, Turner isn't eligible until next year
02-19-2013 12:09 PM
NIUslumo Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
I sent an email to Compher that it's about time we had a special honor for Coach Novak. A couple ideas I mentioned were a statue or re-naming one of the streets Joe Novak Way.

I also mentioned that it would be nice to see the 2003 team honored this fall on the 10th anniversary. That team is near and dear to a lot of our hearts, and I'd love to see them all out there one Saturday afternoon.
02-19-2013 01:13 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(02-19-2013 01:13 PM)NIUslumo Wrote:  I sent an email to Compher that it's about time we had a special honor for Coach Novak. A couple ideas I mentioned were a statue or re-naming one of the streets Joe Novak Way.

I also mentioned that it would be nice to see the 2003 team honored this fall on the 10th anniversary. That team is near and dear to a lot of our hearts, and I'd love to see them all out there one Saturday afternoon.

Excellent suggestions. Let us know when/if you receive a reply.
02-19-2013 01:35 PM
Advertisement

thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2013 01:13 PM)NIUslumo Wrote:  I sent an email to Compher that it's about time we had a special honor for Coach Novak. A couple ideas I mentioned were a statue or re-naming one of the streets Joe Novak Way.

+1
Frankly, I'm a tad afraid of a statue (ie: pigdog).

I really like the "Joe Novak Way" idea. ( Slight pun on "Way".)
Could we also rename a "cross street" "The Hard Way"?

RE: Honoring the 2003 Team.
Alas, we have WMU on the road this year......05-stirthepot
02-19-2013 01:52 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(02-19-2013 01:52 PM)thxjoenovak Wrote:  

+1

No we don't. PJ's gotta come to DeKalb this year.
02-19-2013 02:00 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(02-19-2013 02:00 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  

+1

No we don't. PJ's gotta come to DeKalb this year.

Ooops. Correct. Thanks BB.

In that case, with a 10 Year Anniversary salute certainly in order, would they 05-stirthepot and schedule it with the WMU?
02-19-2013 02:23 PM
NIUslumo Offline
1st String

Compher wrote back immediately and said they were all great ideas, and CC'd 2 others (Assoc ADs) and passed along the suggestions to the Athletics Hall of Fame. I'd love to see something special happen for Novak this fall. It would be perfect timing with the 2003 anniversary. He did also say they were working on something for the 83 team. I'm trying to remember, didn't they honor that team somewhat recently? I'm not sure if it was the 25th anniversary or what, but, I thought they were honored and it was the Toledo game that season.

I'd sure love to see something happen for Novak.

Love the Hard Way, idea by the way. Also, just thinking, it would be nice to see that slogan somewhere on the new scoreboard.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 02:28 PM by NIUslumo.)
02-19-2013 02:27 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators

+1

That's the name of the alley behind the Grotto.
02-19-2013 02:36 PM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(02-19-2013 02:27 PM)NIUslumo Wrote:  Compher wrote back immediately and said they were all great ideas, and CC'd 2 others (Assoc ADs) and passed along the suggestions to the Athletics Hall of Fame. I'd love to see something special happen for Novak this fall. It would be perfect timing with the 2003 anniversary. He did also say they were working on something for the 83 team. I'm trying to remember, didn't they honor that team somewhat recently? I'm not sure if it was the 25th anniversary or what, but, I thought they were honored and it was the Toledo game that season.

I'd sure love to see something happen for Novak.

Love the Hard Way, idea by the way. Also, just thinking, it would be nice to see that slogan somewhere on the new scoreboard.

The '83 team was inducted into the HOF as a team, that might be what you remember. 2008 was the 25th anniversary of that team and also Homecoming, so it was probably when they went in (I think some went in as individuals previously).

I just spent most of that day with my pants figuratively around my ankles basking in the glow of Huskie dominance. 03-cloud9
02-19-2013 03:25 PM
Heisman

For SURE at the very minimum Coach Novak needs to be in the Hall of Fame...I like the street idea more so than a statue since we could end up with a disaster like pig dog as someone pointed out. Honoring the 2003 team this year would be fantastic. Great idea!

**I just emailed my nomination of Coach Novak in to the address at the bottom of the form.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2013 04:14 PM by HuskieFootball Addict.)
02-19-2013 03:56 PM
Heisman

How about those of us who believe Coach Novak deserves to be honored with induction into the Hall of Fame write & show our support? If us diehards don't do it who will?

Send a letter or an email:

Northern Illinois University Intercollegiate Athletics
Hall of Fame, Convocation Center 200
1525 W. Lincoln Hwy
DeKalb, IL 60115

E-mail: huskieathleticsupportfund@niu.edu
02-20-2013 11:48 AM
Advertisement

DoubleHuskie84 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N I U
[/quote]

It'll be on a frigid Wednesday night with 11K clapping wearing gloves....
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 12:57 PM by DoubleHuskie84.)
02-20-2013 12:53 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-20-2013 12:53 PM)DoubleHuskie84 Wrote:  I also mentioned that it would be nice to see the 2003 team honored this fall on the 10th anniversary. That team is near and dear to a lot of our hearts, and I'd love to see them all out there one Saturday afternoon.

[/quote]

Our last 2 Nov weeknight games vs Toledo had 17k+...second largest crowd of each year IIRC.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013 03:34 PM by HuskieJohn.)
02-20-2013 03:33 PM
NIUTOM51 Offline
2nd String

These are all outstanding ideas ! Let's honor the 2003 team and Coach Joe in style. It would be a great day for Huskie football !!!
02-20-2013 04:09 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(02-20-2013 03:33 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(02-20-2013 12:53 PM)DoubleHuskie84 Wrote:  I also mentioned that it would be nice to see the 2003 team honored this fall on the 10th anniversary. That team is near and dear to a lot of our hearts, and I'd love to see them all out there one Saturday afternoon.

Our last 2 Nov weeknight games vs Toledo had 17k+...second largest crowd of each year IIRC.
[/quote]

Only because it was Toledo and a big game, and they were pushing students to go.
02-21-2013 10:53 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(02-21-2013 10:53 AM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(02-20-2013 03:33 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

Only because it was Toledo and a big game, and they were pushing students to go.
[/quote]

And gave away a bunch ot tickets.
02-21-2013 10:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.