Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Monsanto vs Elderly Farmer in seed patent case
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Monsanto vs Elderly Farmer in seed patent case
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/15...91607.html

IMO, you cannot patent a living thing, as you cannot guarantee to absolute accuracy the genetics of your product.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2013 09:46 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
02-16-2013 09:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: Monsanto vs Elderly Farmer in seed patent case
Also, I betcha Monsanto wins. They've infected all levels of government and all branches of government just as bad as lobbyists and welfare/warfare statists have.
02-16-2013 09:47 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
It's like I say, most governments are owned by multi-national corporations. Now let's see if the courts are too...
02-16-2013 10:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
I don't know if this case can be fully explained in one article but it seems to paint this as a WTF they talking about? situation.

Quote:The case before the Supreme Court traces its roots to 1999, when Bowman decided to plant a "second crop" of soybeans after he harvested winter wheat from the farmstead he runs near Sandborn, Indiana.

While he used Monsanto's Roundup Ready engineered seeds for his main, or "first" crop, Bowman said he decided to use inexpensive commodity grain that he could purchase from a local grain elevator for his "second" planting of soybeans in late June. Yields are generally lower for late-planted soybeans because conditions tend to be more optimal in April and May.

The mixture of grain Bowman bought, which he dubbed "junk," carried no patent technology agreement and no directive prohibiting seed saving as do the bagged and branded soybean seeds sold by Monsanto and other seed companies.

The soybean crop turned out so good that Bowman saved some of the seed generated by the plants and sowed them the following year for another late crop. He repeated the process year after year, sometimes supplementing his second planting with more commodity grain he used as seed. All the while he continued to buy first-generation seed each year for his main crop of beans. For those purchases, he signed required "technology agreements" pledging not to save the offspring of those seeds.
02-17-2013 10:18 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
I have no problem w/ biotech patents...you won't get progress if you can't make money off of this.

However, the burden of proof should be on Monsanto, to prove that these farmers are actually violating their patents. If nature is providing the benefit, then Monsanto is going to have to deal with that.

But Monsanto seems to have bought off the gov't so they don't have the burden of proof. That sort of corruption benefits no one.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2013 11:11 AM by DrTorch.)
02-17-2013 11:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.