Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

This team has 2 of the most unique players I can remember here
Bookmark and Share
450bench Online

I Root For: Memphis
This team has 2 of the most unique players I can remember here
DJ Stephens and Geron Johnson

Sure there are similarities between DJ and Michael Wilson and similarities between Geron and DRose...legit similarities...But have we seen a guy in DJ come from nowhere to being one of the best and most uniquely talented human highlight films of recent memory? The spark he gives the team is like nothing I can remember. He's also got the best timing of any player I've ever seen. When he's on the floor you can bet that he will do something that makes you simply jump out of your seat and high five people you don't know...He brings the team and the fans to another level, home or away.

Johnson's sincerity and incredibly driven attitude, toughness and intensity makes people say "damn that guy is NOT playing around," including opposing players and fans. Combine that with insane skill, body control and God given talent make him as unique of a player as I can recall here. He puts on a clinic defensively which is unheard of from such a highly skilled player on the offensive end.

I think it's rare to have a truly unique, quality player on your team but to have 2 of them combined with the other quality, high level players, like a lot of the guys we have, is just bizarre.

You just can't teach what these 2 bring to the table. You've either got IT or you don't. Both of these guys have "it."
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 12:41 AM by 450bench.)
02-14-2013 12:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
RE: This team has 2 of the most unique players I can remember here
(02-14-2013 12:35 AM)450bench Wrote:  DJ Stephens and Geron Johnson

Sure there are similarities between DJ and Michael Wilson and similarities between Geron and DRose...legit similarities...But have we seen a guy in DJ come from nowhere to being one of the best and most uniquely talented human highlight films of recent memory? The spark he gives the team is like nothing I can remember. He's also got the best timing of any player I've ever seen. When he's on the floor you can bet that he will do something that makes you simply jump out of your seat and high five people you don't know...He brings the team and the fans to another level, home or away.

Johnson's sincerity and incredibly driven attitude, toughness and intensity makes people say "damn that guy is NOT playing around," including opposing players and fans. Combine that with insane skill, body control and God given talent make him as unique of a player as I can recall here. He puts on a clinic defensively which is unheard of from such a highly skilled player on the offensive end.

I think it's rare to have a truly unique, quality player on your team but to have 2 of them combined with the other quality, high level players, like a lot of the guys we have, is just bizarre.

You just can't teach what these 2 bring to the table. You've either got IT or you don't. Both of these guys have "it."

Without the emergence of DJ and arrival of Geron, This team would not be that good....Took a lot of pressure off Joe and AT....Now with everything starting to come together, I'm starting to get excited about a run in March. Surely the seeding will take care of itself.05-mafia
02-14-2013 12:48 AM
MGR Offline
1st String

Could not agree more. Next years team may be better, who knows. But watching DJ is worth the ticket price alone. You said it all. Man alive.

There is lots to appreciate about G. Johnson. More than anything, his on court toughness and confidence is legit.

I don't think we have seen that swagger here since the final four in 08. I remember a video clip of the teams before the final four games in 08. It showed each team walking together. When it showed the Memphis team, CDR was in the middle driibbling the ball. I still think of that video clip and get chills. No matter what happened in that final game, the swagger of that team was not hype. It was for real. That is the same feeling I get watching Geron Johnson. I have a feeling our team is getting that same swagger that you can't fake.
02-14-2013 12:54 AM
BigTigerMike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Geron is the difference-making player that the Tigers never had under the Pastner era going into the NCAA tournament that can truly help win some games. Will Barton was a good player but not on the same level with the kind of skills and intangibles that Geron brings to the table
02-14-2013 12:59 AM
450bench Online

(02-14-2013 12:59 AM)BigTigerMike Wrote:  Geron is the difference-making player that the Tigers never had under the Pastner era going into the NCAA tournament that can truly help win some games. Will Barton was a good player but not on the same level with the kind of skills and intangibles that Geron brings to the table

Dead-nuts on...04-cheers
02-14-2013 01:09 AM
TigerBill Offline
Imperator Optimus Maximus

I Root For: Liberation

Donators
This is why I voted DJ as MVP early on. Regardless of what we do now, if DJ had not carried us emotionally through the early part of the season nothing we do now would matter.
02-14-2013 08:46 AM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
I think Wolo is scared of Geron. Their interviews are always the shortest.
02-14-2013 09:11 AM
missjtiger Offline
KOKO'S MOMMA/D.J.'S MOMS
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

Crappies
(02-14-2013 09:11 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  I think Wolo is scared of Geron. Their interviews are always the shortest.

I don't blame Wolo....Geron has the meanest/scariest face. Intimidation is putting it mildly. [Image: scared-1.gif]
02-14-2013 09:32 AM
papajohn Offline
1st String

Great post 450 and so true.

Geron plays with an intensity and fire that is very contagious for his teammates and must be very frustrating for his opponents.

DJ is simply amazing. In a way, he's like DeAngelo. You have to come to every game while he's here, because magic is possible at any moment. Last year, when he wasn't able to play as much due to his asthma and injuries, one of the guys i sit with brought a neighbor who had never been to a game before. When DJ came into the game, my buddy leaned over to our guest and said something like, "watch this guy, he will do something to amaze you within the next 90 seconds".
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 10:35 AM by papajohn.)
02-14-2013 10:31 AM
transitt Offline
The William Hung of Memphis music

I Root For: A fresh start
Geron makes some Rose like offensive plays. However, he reminds me more of Antonio Anderson. The boy has some 'dawg' in him. Haven't seen that attitude since the number Anderson put on Robert Vaden. Anderson got so much in Vaden's head that I don't think Robert wanted to come out of the locker room.
02-14-2013 10:45 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
Sykes had 9 turnovers last night. Most of those can be attributed to Geron.

#manhandled
02-14-2013 10:49 AM
Advertisement

Tygrys Offline
Heisman

(02-14-2013 10:49 AM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Sykes had 9 turnovers last night. Most of those can be attributed to Geron.

#manhandled

I distinctly remember after one defensive trip (I think Geron forced a turnover on Sykes) where they were walking back down the court and Geron was talking in his ear the whole way. You could tell that Sykes wanted no part of Geron. He was definitely in his head in the second half!
02-14-2013 11:19 AM
Original Sabretooth Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Mempho
Geron's emergence has been a godsend for Chris Crawford.
02-14-2013 11:24 AM
TigerJJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Tiger Victories
Geron is a better defender than DRose was. His all around play and intensity is taking this team to a higher level.
02-14-2013 01:05 PM
Mimi Offline
Who farted??

I Root For: reasonableness
DJ playing very well overall, and Geron's addition has worked, especially the last few games.

And...Joe's emergence as the most consistent best player in the team if not the league is huge.

Chris emerging from a shooting slump- as Geron emerged...and overall solid play. Same attitudes existed late last year..winning 7 in a row, nearly all over good teams and easily, before one (very important) game with a bad outing left a sour image of a team that was better than people remember.

Marshall- should be geeked...need all to play well. Go Rebounders.
02-14-2013 02:23 PM
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
(02-14-2013 12:35 AM)450bench Wrote:  DJ Stephens and Geron Johnson

And so....THANK YOU, JOSH!!! 04-bow01-ncaabbs
02-14-2013 02:57 PM
Advertisement

21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
(02-14-2013 10:31 AM)papajohn Wrote:  Great post 450 and so true.

Geron plays with an intensity and fire that is very contagious for his teammates and must be very frustrating for his opponents.

DJ is simply amazing. In a way, he's like DeAngelo. You have to come to every game while he's here, because magic is possible at any moment. Last year, when he wasn't able to play as much due to his asthma and injuries, one of the guys i sit with brought a neighbor who had never been to a game before. When DJ came into the game, my buddy leaned over to our guest and said something like, "watch this guy, he will do something to amaze you within the next 90 seconds".

I learned I couldn't be five minutes late to a DeAngelo game or I would miss a touchdown. I remember being in line to enter after an unavoidable delay, I heard the crowd roar, and said, "Darn, I missed a D run." Ditto with DJ. I am in my seat before the lights go down. DJ, alone, is worth the admission price of about 8 tickets.
02-14-2013 03:03 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
While I agree about DJ, I don't think it applies so much to Geron.
DJ is outside of the box. Geron is a prototypical elite level basketball player. He has the size/strength/skill/speed/iq/ etc. of a very good basketball player. Not that it is common, in fact, it is rare here in Memphis but along the lines of Tyreke and Rose.
02-14-2013 03:06 PM
motiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tiger's
The difference between Will and Geron is one of them is a TEAM player! And thats what has helped us this year. Not just one hot shot. IMOP
02-14-2013 03:10 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(02-14-2013 03:10 PM)motiger Wrote:  The difference between Will and Geron is one of them is a TEAM player! And thats what has helped us this year. Not just one hot shot. IMOP

I know that is so easy to toss out there.

I disagree completely. If we hadn't had W. Barton we would have lost a LOT more games last season. He carried our team through many games. Yes, he screwed up against St Louis, without him we wouldn't have gotten to PLAY St Louis.
In fact, if we are going to throw out opinions such as the above, I am willing to say we would have been NIT bound without Will Barton last season.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 03:14 PM by memtigbb.)
02-14-2013 03:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.