Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Nbe TV contract length of 6 years is too long; Technology is changing quickly.
Bookmark and Share
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Nbe TV contract length of 6 years is too long; Technology is changing quickly.
The major problem I see in the Nbe tv contract is that NBC is going to sell games to other networks. Who are these networks? And which games will be sold? Will Cincy, UConn, UCF, and USF get the vast share of tv telecasts whereas other schools receive only a few telecasts? This is very, very troublesome. But it is not the only other major problem.

The Nbe is for six long years. It appears to me, not an astute tv or tech person, that broadcast technology and outlets are changing quickly. The fact that the CUSA contract runs 3 more years probably gives sufficient time for all of this to play out, and then when CUSA renegotiates its tv contract, the conference will know what is on the table in terms of alternatives. My guess is there will be more broadcast alternatives on the table; therefore, more possibilities for CUSA.

I think the 6 year term of the Nbe, at this point of time of rapid change, is too long, and will have a negative impact just as the too long ACC and MWC tv contracts.

I watched the Tulsa @Arkansas football game on my computer via ESPN. To me, this is preferable than CSS. And I don't have CSS on my cable anyway. This is the new technology I am thinking about here....and just wonder how networks like ESPN and FOX are going to do with this in the future? It would really be wonderful especially for CUSA basketball, which is nonexistant on tv currently.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 11:50 AM by Tallgrass.)
02-13-2013 11:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
OP SUCKS at writing titles
Once again, no one cares what you think
02-13-2013 11:37 AM
SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: OP SUCKS at writing titles
(02-13-2013 11:37 AM)PGPirate Wrote:  Once again, no one cares what you think

just as nobody cares what you think since you can't even make a rational statement, just hateful. Why don't you make a reasonable point or it is asking too much of you? :muttering:
02-13-2013 11:57 AM
Big Dub Offline
C-USA Troll?

RE: The Nbe TV contract length of 6 years is too long;
(02-13-2013 11:35 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  The major problem I see in the Nbe tv contract is that NBC is going to sell games to other networks. Who are these networks? And which games will be sold? Will Cincy, UConn, UCF, and USF get the vast share of tv telecasts whereas other schools receive only a few telecasts? This is very, very troublesome. But it is not the only other major problem.

The Nbe is for six long years. It appears to me, not an astute tv or tech person, that broadcast technology and outlets are changing quickly. The fact that the CUSA contract runs 3 more years probably gives sufficient time for all of this to play out, and then when CUSA renegotiates its tv contract, the conference will know what is on the table in terms of alternatives. My guess is there will be more broadcast alternatives on the table; therefore, more possibilities for CUSA.

I think the 6 year term of the Nbe, at this point of time of rapid change, is too long, and will have a negative impact just as the too long ACC and MWC tv contracts.

I watched the Tulsa @Arkansas football game on my computer via ESPN. To me, this is preferable than CSS. And I don't have CSS on my cable anyway. This is the new technology I am thinking about here....and just wonder how networks like ESPN and FOX are going to do with this in the future? It would really be wonderful especially for CUSA basketball, which is nonexistant on tv currently.

You're definitely on to something regarding new technologies, there is no question that all games in the future will be broadcast legally and clearly via the web, I guess the hard part will be deciding how they can make the most profit from this format without slitting their own throat, i.e. television itself.
02-13-2013 11:59 AM
SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

RE: The Nbe TV contract length of 6 years is too long;
(02-13-2013 11:59 AM)Big Dub Wrote:  
(02-13-2013 11:35 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  The major problem I see in the Nbe tv contract is that NBC is going to sell games to other networks. Who are these networks? And which games will be sold? Will Cincy, UConn, UCF, and USF get the vast share of tv telecasts whereas other schools receive only a few telecasts? This is very, very troublesome. But it is not the only other major problem.

You're definitely on to something regarding new technologies, there is no question that all games in the future will be broadcast legally and clearly via the web, I guess the hard part will be deciding how they can make the most profit from this format without slitting their own throat, i.e. television itself.

The difference the internet makes in broadcast, be it tv or radio is impressive. I did a national talk radio show for years and before I retired from it cameras were being used in studio and we started using pictures and stuff in our broadcast. I also could stream my show to other parts of the world which enabled my show to be broadcast live in Stockholm Sweden on a station there. It was cool having callers from other parts of the world like Germany, Sweden, Australia, and Finland as well as making a power impression on those powers you wanted to oppose.
02-13-2013 12:13 PM
PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
(02-13-2013 11:57 AM)SgtGoldenEagle Wrote:  

just as nobody cares what you think since you can't even make a rational statement, just hateful. Why don't you make a reasonable point or it is asking too much of you? :muttering:

No, I am just pointing out typical TG. He goes on these random rants daily. Give it a month or two, and you'll intimately know.
02-13-2013 12:13 PM
Advertisement

SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

(02-13-2013 12:13 PM)PGPirate Wrote:  

No, I am just pointing out typical TG. He goes on these random rants daily. Give it a month or two, and you'll intimately know.

actually it is a very good topic and if you know something about broadcasting you would find it a topic well worth exploring, and if you could put aside that attitude long enough to examine the subject you might learn something from it instead of attacking because it is such and such a person. Look at the content first and decide not the poster.
02-13-2013 12:16 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
RE: The Nbe TV contract length of 6 years is too long; Technology is changing quickly
(02-13-2013 12:16 PM)SgtGoldenEagle Wrote:  
(02-13-2013 12:13 PM)PGPirate Wrote:  

actually it is a very good topic and if you know something about broadcasting you would find it a topic well worth exploring, and if you could put aside that attitude long enough to examine the subject you might learn something from it instead of attacking because it is such and such a person. Look at the content first and decide not the poster.

well said...to some this board is a country club and they tend to overlook the facts and choose to attack

to OP....there are things that are going to happen over the next few years that nobody can accurately predict. I for one like how CUSA is positioned with the new schools that have the potential to be realized over the next few years. I think the timing could be perfect for us. I think it can also be said that the timing couldn't be worse for the nBE.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 12:32 PM by stinkfist.)
02-13-2013 12:30 PM
Tulsafanzz Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
RE:The Nbe TV contract length of 6 years is too long; Technology is changing quickly.
This is a Tallgrass thread I agree with, not just because of the technology issues, but also because it appears to be a low ball offer.

Per Frank the Tank & others that follow this stuff closely, the Big East is caught making a TV deal at a bad time. They say there are not multiple suitors out there today, unlike a year ago. If that is the reason for the low $ offer, why not sign a very short term deal, one or two years, & try again at a better time.

As far as technology goes, I will wait to see all the details of the contract before deciding how Aresco did in that area. We still don't know the finer points of the deal, because it is not even official yet.
02-13-2013 08:51 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
RE: The Nbe TV contract length of 6 years is too long.

This is THE CUSA BOARD TALLGRASS!!!

Give it an eff'ing rest for crying out loud dude!!!
02-13-2013 09:00 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-13-2013 08:51 PM)Tulsafanzz Wrote:  If that is the reason for the low $ offer, why not sign a very short term deal, one or two years, & try again at a better time.

Because NBC probably wouldn't agree to a short term deal. Six years is probably as short as they will go.
02-13-2013 09:02 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-13-2013 09:02 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  
(02-13-2013 08:51 PM)Tulsafanzz Wrote:  If that is the reason for the low $ offer, why not sign a very short term deal, one or two years, & try again at a better time.

Because NBC probably wouldn't agree to a short term deal. Six years is probably as short as they will go.

To the best of my knowledege 6 years is the shortest terms Ive seen on these conference deals with the networks. Most are way longer.
02-13-2013 09:18 PM
GreenBison Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall | SBC
RE: The Nbe TV contract length of 6

I've been preaching this for 3 years and no one will listen.

ESPN 360... that's the future... targeted advertising even with different viewers in the same house... It's all about the Cookies Bro!
02-13-2013 11:02 PM
stinkfist Offline

(02-13-2013 09:00 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  

c'mon...this applies directly to CUSA future tv negotiations....the post is valid
02-14-2013 01:40 AM
stinkfist Offline

...exactly why I like our spot and not the nBE....timing is everything
02-14-2013 01:42 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-14-2013 01:40 AM)stinkfist Wrote:  

c'mon...this applies directly to CUSA future tv negotiations....the post is valid

Actually it doesn't. This is a thread about the nBE, not CUSA.
02-14-2013 10:14 AM
Advertisement

b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
(02-13-2013 09:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

To the best of my knowledege 6 years is the shortest terms Ive seen on these conference deals with the networks. Most are way longer.

True, although at the value we are talking about if I were the Big East I'd say to NBC that I'd take half the money for half the years.
02-14-2013 10:19 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(02-14-2013 10:14 AM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  

The word CUSA appears in his original post 4 times, so how is it not CUSA related.
02-14-2013 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stinkfist Offline

(02-14-2013 10:22 AM)ICB Wrote:  

The word CUSA appears in his original post 4 times, so how is it not CUSA related.

Xactly! What happens with their contract is directly related to ours....the addition of their future school defection will almost certainly affect us as well...my simple mind wonders if anyone bites at this point and what the outs are if they don't....just like playing hold 'em
02-14-2013 10:53 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-14-2013 10:22 AM)ICB Wrote:  

He modified his post to include CUSA after he was called out. I would not have said anything if his original post had included a relation to CUSA which it didn't.
02-14-2013 12:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.