http://sports.yahoo.com/news/big-ten-pla...ncaaf.html
02-12-2013 08:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieJ Online
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
RE: Big 10 Scheduling changes
Just another step for them to create 4 new super conferences and leave everybody else out in the cold. They will cut FBS by half bvy the time they are finished. Really a shame that the greed will win out as they chase after as many $s has they can get their grimy hands on. Guys like Delany and Gordon Gee will ruin college sports forever.
02-12-2013 08:46 AM
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
(02-12-2013 08:46 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  Just another step for them to create 4 new super conferences and leave everybody else out in the cold. They will cut FBS by half bvy the time they are finished. Really a shame that the greed will win out as they chase after as many $s has they can get their grimy hands on. Guys like Delany and Gordon Gee will ruin college sports forever.

Yes, its very apparent that the Big Ten likes each other a LOT. Too bad they are only three or four teams deep.
02-12-2013 08:52 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(02-12-2013 08:46 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  Just another step for them to create 4 new super conferences and leave everybody else out in the cold. They will cut FBS by half bvy the time they are finished. Really a shame that the greed will win out as they chase after as many $s has they can get their grimy hands on. Guys like Delany and Gordon Gee will ruin college sports forever.

They are also trying to not have ANY FCS wins count toward bowl eligibility.

That would help us in more than one way.
02-12-2013 09:03 AM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
Quote:Schools have additional concerns about keeping seven home games per year to generate revenue.
Sums up the inherent unfairness of college football nicely.
02-12-2013 09:56 AM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
(02-12-2013 08:46 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  Guys like Delany and Gordon Gee will ruin college sports forever.

+1
02-12-2013 10:37 AM
Advertisement

RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
wonder if this will impact our ability to schedule with Big10 teams and even play them in Soldier Field?
02-12-2013 05:46 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(02-12-2013 05:46 PM)RitzHuskie Wrote:  wonder if this will impact our ability to schedule with Big10 teams and even play them in Soldier Field?

Doubt it, those are attractive games for the b10 opponent. It means 1 or 2 less B10 games per decade I would imagine...
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 07:05 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
02-12-2013 07:04 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
I wonder what the buyout is that Nebraska would have to pay us for the SF game if they can't keep it in the schedule.
02-12-2013 08:46 PM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(02-12-2013 08:46 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  I wonder what the buyout is that Nebraska would have to pay us for the SF game if they can't keep it in the schedule.

Thats a game they will keep, a high-profile away game they get paid decently for... Soldier field may help us guarantee that we don't feel the drop off as much as some other MAC teams.
02-12-2013 10:07 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

The Big Ten also said they won't schedule FCS teams anymore.
02-12-2013 10:08 PM
Advertisement

HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
(02-12-2013 10:07 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 08:46 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  I wonder what the buyout is that Nebraska would have to pay us for the SF game if they can't keep it in the schedule.

Thats a game they will keep, a high-profile away game they get paid decently for... Soldier field may help us guarantee that we don't feel the drop off as much as some other MAC teams.

Agreed. The BIG model is all about maximizing revenue / exposure and I would think they have an eye on improved SOS for playoff considerations which is why no more FCS teams. Soldier Field provides a venue for them to showcase and market their programs and as long as we stay competitive it will be considered a good OOC game for them.
02-12-2013 10:30 PM
bigdhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu, bears
(02-12-2013 10:30 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 10:07 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  

Agreed. The BIG model is all about maximizing revenue / exposure and I would think they have an eye on improved SOS for playoff considerations which is why no more FCS teams. Soldier Field provides a venue for them to showcase and market their programs and as long as we stay competitive it will be considered a good OOC game for them.

O,K., I like the Soldier Field games.....I know some fans don't. But what does this mean, we schedule Iowa or Wisconsin every 3 yrs? How about Northwestern at SF? or are the Wildcats in love with Wrigley Field? maybe a better shot with Purdue?......just wondering
02-12-2013 11:29 PM
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
(02-12-2013 11:29 PM)bigdhuskie Wrote:  O,K., I like the Soldier Field games.....I know some fans don't. But what does this mean, we schedule Iowa or Wisconsin every 3 yrs? How about Northwestern at SF? or are the Wildcats in love with Wrigley Field? maybe a better shot with Purdue?......just wondering

I don't think anybody knows exactly what it means yet, because it will partly depend on whether the Big Ten goes to 9 or 10 conference games. If they go to 10, I'd think one of the non-conference games will be home-home series with other BCS conference schools (and I think that was hinted at in an article I read). That would only leave 1 other non-conference game and I'm not sure exactly what they would do with it. If they go to 9, obviously they'd all have an additional game to play with.

It will also depend on how hell-bent they are on keeping at least 7 home games once they figure out if they're playing 9 or 10. I think if they go to 10, it might be hard to play them somewhere other than in their stadium. They'd have 5 conference home games, then (presumably, again based on what was said) a home game against a BCS opponent every other year with the other year being a road game against that same opponent. They'll definitely want 7 in the year they have the home BCS game if they're only getting 6 in the other year, and I don't see them ever playing 5 home conference games, away at a BCS school, then on the road or at a neutral site against a MAC/Sun Belt/CUSA school.
(This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 11:44 PM by UIHuskie.)
02-12-2013 11:39 PM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
(02-12-2013 10:08 PM)7 Wrote:  The Big Ten also said they won't schedule FCS teams anymore.

I'm torn on this one. On one hand it's kind of a joke when top FBS teams play FCS teams. On the other hand this will be a financial blow to FCS teams who depend on those paycheck games.
02-13-2013 09:51 AM
Stpetebeachrocketfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
(02-13-2013 09:51 AM)NIU1981 Wrote:  
(02-12-2013 10:08 PM)7 Wrote:  The Big Ten also said they won't schedule FCS teams anymore.

I'm torn on this one. On one hand it's kind of a joke when top FBS teams play FCS teams. On the other hand this will be a financial blow to FCS teams who depend on those paycheck games.

Here is the article. I agree with Alvarez that these games are not appealing. NIU has played an FCS team every year and I have a feeling that they are not that attractive to you guys either when taken into account the rest of the schedule. Toledo wasnt playing FCS teams on a regular basis but we have a couple on the schedule coming up. However, I am glad we also have Missouri, Iowa State, Navy & Miami U coming to the Glass Bowl as well, so maybe that offsets? You guys have some nice games at Soldier Field coming up too.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...-fcs-teams
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 09:56 AM by Stpetebeachrocketfan.)
02-13-2013 09:56 AM
Advertisement

NIUslumo Offline
1st String

(02-13-2013 09:56 AM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  

Here is the article. I agree with Alvarez that these games are not appealing. NIU has played an FCS team every year and I have a feeling that they are not that attractive to you guys either when taken into account the rest of the schedule. Toledo wasnt playing FCS teams on a regular basis but we have a couple on the schedule coming up. However, I am glad we also have Missouri, Iowa State, Navy & Miami U coming to the Glass Bowl as well, so maybe that offsets? You guys have some nice games at Soldier Field coming up too.

Believe me, we would trade for your schedule any day of the week. Scheduling is a sore subject. I'm so tired of FCS and very little ability to schedule a solid home and home with a lower tier FBS that peaks my interest.
02-13-2013 09:59 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

but there will be more competition for FCS teams that will want to play NIU for less money because there is less supply.
02-13-2013 10:02 AM
HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
So does this increase the chances of us getting more games with U of I and Northwestern? Both typically schedule at least one instate game a year.
02-13-2013 10:06 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-13-2013 09:56 AM)Stpetebeachrocketfan Wrote:  Here is the article. I agree with Alvarez that these games are not appealing. NIU has played an FCS team every year and I have a feeling that they are not that attractive to you guys either when taken into account the rest of the schedule. Toledo wasnt playing FCS teams on a regular basis but we have a couple on the schedule coming up. However, I am glad we also have Missouri, Iowa State, Navy & Miami U coming to the Glass Bowl as well, so maybe that offsets? You guys have some nice games at Soldier Field coming up too.

Yes NIU needs to ditch playing the FCS teams unless its absolutely necessary.

I don't think that anyone considers a SF game as part of our home schedule. Its just a very close away game with a better ratio of NIU fans.
02-13-2013 10:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.