Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Brooks Gym
Bookmark and Share
fsurookie911 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU FSU UT
Brooks Gym
I was in there the other night for a high school game. I really liked the feel of the place. Honestly a much better atmosphere than the dome. Have they ever looked at expanding it?
02-09-2013 01:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Brooks Gym
(02-09-2013 01:26 PM)fsurookie911 Wrote:  I was in there the other night for a high school game. I really liked the feel of the place. Honestly a much better atmosphere than the dome. Have they ever looked at expanding it?

I think they have looked at it in years past. It was built in 1948 and I think they determined that they could not meet modern codes without a total tear down and rebuild. It is a heck of a place to watch games when then have the bleachers on both sides and the intensity is right down there on the court.
02-09-2013 01:31 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(02-09-2013 01:31 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 01:26 PM)fsurookie911 Wrote:  I was in there the other night for a high school game. I really liked the feel of the place. Honestly a much better atmosphere than the dome. Have they ever looked at expanding it?

I think they have looked at it in years past. It was built in 1948 and I think they determined that they could not meet modern codes without a total tear down and rebuild. It is a heck of a place to watch games when then have the bleachers on both sides and the intensity is right down there on the court.

Is it true that Tennesse came to Brooks and played the Bucs in the early 60's? I saw the Buc freshmen team play the UT freshmen there in '65 or so.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 02:27 PM by Buc66.)
02-09-2013 02:21 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(02-09-2013 02:21 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 01:31 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  

Is it true that Tennesse came to Brooks and played the Bucs in the early 60's? I saw the Buc freshmen team play the UT freshmen there in '65 or so.

I remember watching our freshmen team beat the UT team in early 70's. Also the TN varsity did come to Memorial Gym(Brooks) in about 1963 I think.
02-09-2013 02:33 PM
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

Brooks / Memorial is a cracker box where it can cause your ears to bleed, your ear drums to suffer damage, the decibel level greater than a jet airplane taking off. Intimidation was a feature leaving Buc opponents shaking, nervous and messing up. Home court advantage has always been a powerful feature of ETSU basketball.
02-09-2013 04:59 PM
Advertisement

fsurookie911 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ETSU FSU UT
Wish there was a way to expand the thing. Realistically 6000 seats or so would do it
02-09-2013 05:17 PM
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

I used to announce games from the Brooks/Memorial stage. Fun place...but it does make ETSU look like a high school playing in there.
02-09-2013 05:21 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
I was in there when the biggest event ever was held, a rally for Dan Quayle in 1988. It was louder than any sporting event (seeing the GOP win is a much bigger passion in East Tennessee than basketball) and nobody's ears bled.

PLEASE don't embellish.

In answer to your question, yes, Tennessee did play there in the early '60s. They only won by a point and Ray Mears then told everyone that his Vols would never play again in Johnson City.

In some communities, such a statement would get you scorn from the public and make the locals rush to adopt their true home team while renouncing the Vols.

In this one, the former sports editor of the Kingsport Times-News writes your biography.
02-09-2013 06:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

Embellishing is fun and helps make the point. I didn't know message board had such rules.
02-09-2013 07:22 PM
Advertisement

Stateman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Tennessee
Might not be worth the cost, but OK State did encapsualte their arena and doubled both the size and capacity.

"The original Gallagher-Iba Arena was encapsulated by a new roof structure and concourse. Supporting the entire roof structure are two massive box trusses, nearly a football-field long, 40 feet tall and weighing one million pounds each. Once it was enclosed by the new structure, demolition began on the existing roof structure and upper wall. Construction more than doubled the height of arena from 60 feet to more than 120 feet. "[/size]
02-09-2013 07:32 PM
abuc90 Offline
Special Teams

I've only seen a couple of games in Brooks. It was a great atmosphere both times, but its just too small and outdated. Unless, of course we stay in the Asun, then its perfect.
02-09-2013 10:33 PM
One Of The Last Buc Linemen Offline
Banned

(02-09-2013 06:12 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  They only won by a point and Ray Mears then told everyone that his Vols would never play again in Johnson City.

didn't the exact same thing happen with ut and the lady bucs in brooks gym? i hear pat summit (pat head back then) told susan yow that as long as she was the coach at ut, they would never play at etsu again. that was after a 1 point ut win in triple overtime in brooks gym
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2013 12:14 AM by One Of The Last Buc Linemen.)
02-10-2013 12:13 AM
One Of The Last Buc Linemen Offline
Banned

(02-09-2013 04:59 PM)Mister Jennings Wrote:  Brooks / Memorial is a cracker box where it can cause your ears to bleed, your ear drums to suffer damage, the decibel level greater than a jet airplane taking off. Intimidation was a feature leaving Buc opponents shaking, nervous and messing up. Home court advantage has always been a powerful feature of ETSU basketball.

sounds great, im in. people think its too small,,,,,,,,,but thats the point. small and loud and inimidating. there may not be enough seats for all of our fans, but there may be enough seats for all of our fans willing to pay $25 per game ticket. its got something to do with scarcity (of seats) and market equilibrium (price meeting demand). i know theres at least a couple econ professors that follow buc basketball, maybe they could figure it out for noland so he can make it work
02-10-2013 12:22 AM
Advertisement

You're my boy blue! Offline
Bench Warmer

I wish that they would just tear down brooks gym and build an engineering dept or math dept there.

It's alright to play Milligan and Tusculum type schools there but when you strip it all down the place is basically a high school gym.
02-10-2013 08:07 AM
bucfan1968 Offline
1st String

The last time Ray Mears brought the Vols to Brooks Gym..at that time I think it was still Memorial Gym.. was in the early 60's.. Mears played a slow down stall kind of offensive game.. boring.. East Tennessee fans were used to the run and gun OVC.. but Mears won a lot of games with it..they won that game by i believe one point.. the game was something like 47 to 46 or 48 to 47?????... Sharp shooter A.W. Davis from Rutledge scored the last 10 or so points for Tennessee.. Mears would not play the Bucs after that year because we started recruiting black players.. OVC basketball was very strong at that time.. As well as i can remember UT contended for the SEC championship that year.. and ETSU finished down in the lower part of the pack in the OVC...All of this is from my memory.. so I am probaly off a bit on some of the numbers.....It was around the time that the school changed from ETSC to ETSU.
The style of basketball that UT ..and a few other schools.. played at that time led to the shot clock being added to the game later on...
02-10-2013 04:03 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
(02-09-2013 07:22 PM)Mister Jennings Wrote:  Embellishing is fun and helps make the point. I didn't know message board had such rules.

Thank goodness I got you to admit you DID embellish.

You've identified yourself as a former radio professional, though you refuse to say for who.

For God's sake, honor the profession you once had and TELL THE TRUTH!
02-10-2013 05:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(02-10-2013 05:59 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  
(02-09-2013 07:22 PM)Mister Jennings Wrote:  Embellishing is fun and helps make the point. I didn't know message board had such rules.

Thank goodness I got you to admit you DID embellish.

For God's sake, honor the profession you once had and TELL THE TRUTH!

Uh...........oh,never mind, Mr. Pot................
02-11-2013 01:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.