Notre Dame in Big East for 2013-14
Bookmark and Share
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Notre Dame in Big East for 2013-14
Saw this on the BE board from Commuter Bob:
Brian Hamilton ‏@ChiTribHamilton
BREAKING: #NotreDame HC MIke Brey: "We do know we'll be in the Big East next season. That decision was made last Friday."

#NotreDame HC Mike Brey on Big East: "The last hurrah is going to be next year, not this year."

#NotreDame HC Mike Brey on @CollegeGameDay arriving: "The circus is coming to town and I have my cotton candy. We're going to have fun."

#NotreDame HC Mike Brey on Big East next year: "I feel strongly that the Catholic schools are going to be there with us."
02-07-2013 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

monroedoctrine Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: Notre Dame in Big East for 2013-14
"I HOPE? strongly that the Catholic schools are going to be there with us."
02-07-2013 12:22 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

lol, I agree. Makes me wonder if the Aresco leagues deal is with ESPN if the split happens in 2013-14 so we can be with fox.
02-07-2013 12:30 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
I think the question of when Notre Dame moved always depended on when the C-7 split. It seems like there was a decision last Friday that Notre Dame would stay--which means that the C-7 are staying for 2013-14.

Notre Dame wants to leave as soon as they can without having to pay an exit fee. That means, basically, as soon as Aresco will let them go. But if the C-7, Louisville and Rutgers all get to leave without staying 27 months, it would be very hard to hold Notre Dame to 27 months in court. If the C-7 agree to stay one more as a reasonable timeframe to make adjustments, it's much easier to say that the league needs one more year to make adjustments from Notre Dame, Louisville and Rutgers as well. So if the C-7 is leaving now, Notre Dame gets to follow. If the C-7 is stuck for a year, Notre Dame is stuck for a year.

I still don't know what to make of the Jersey Guy column that Aresco is negotiating with us to get us to stay. IT seems to me that we'd be the ones negotiating to get them to let us go early.
02-07-2013 12:38 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-07-2013 12:38 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  I think the question of when Notre Dame moved always depended on when the C-7 split. It seems like there was a decision last Friday that Notre Dame would stay--which means that the C-7 are staying for 2013-14.

Notre Dame wants to leave as soon as they can without having to pay an exit fee. That means, basically, as soon as Aresco will let them go. But if the C-7, Louisville and Rutgers all get to leave without staying 27 months, it would be very hard to hold Notre Dame to 27 months in court. If the C-7 agree to stay one more as a reasonable timeframe to make adjustments, it's much easier to say that the league needs one more year to make adjustments from Notre Dame, Louisville and Rutgers as well. So if the C-7 is leaving now, Notre Dame gets to follow. If the C-7 is stuck for a year, Notre Dame is stuck for a year.

I still don't know what to make of the Jersey Guy column that Aresco is negotiating with us to get us to stay. IT seems to me that we'd be the ones negotiating to get them to let us go early.

If C7, Louisville, and Rutgers have paid $$$ to leave early, then it wouldn't be hard to hold ND to 27 months in court- either wait the time, or pay the $$$. Brey's statement would seem to mean it's up in the air right now- not a lock at all.
02-07-2013 12:43 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

I Root For: St. Johns
Maybe the prenup allows us to leave without the 27 month wait that came well after the fact. I mean we are not held to any exit fee's, so logic dictates that we are not bound by any time frame. This would line up with the recent things Aresco has been saying about negotiating for us to stay one more year.
02-07-2013 12:52 PM
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline

(02-07-2013 12:43 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 12:38 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  I think the question of when Notre Dame moved always depended on when the C-7 split. It seems like there was a decision last Friday that Notre Dame would stay--which means that the C-7 are staying for 2013-14.

If C7, Louisville, and Rutgers have paid $$$ to leave early, then it wouldn't be hard to hold ND to 27 months in court- either wait the time, or pay the $$$. Brey's statement would seem to mean it's up in the air right now- not a lock at all.

No, Notre Dame has a contract saying they don't have to pay to leave as long as they follow the rules. That's precedent that Notre Dame leaving doesn't damage the conference if it's done in an orderly manner. The waiting period is to ensure that it IS done in an orderly manner, that you don't have schools jumping to other conferences and leaving the Big East to scramble to fill a schedule the way West Virginia did. The secondary issue would be that if Notre Dame bolted, it weakens the league in court against the other teams (C-7, Rutgers, Louisville) trying to leave.

It would be really hard to show how Aresco's conference would suffer damages by Notre Dame leaving in 2014 vs 2015. What are the damages there? How does the Aresco league suffer by ND leaving with 18 months notice vs the full 27? It doesn't.

You'd be trying to enforce a rule on Notre Dame that you didn't enforce on any of the other 12 teams that left the conference. Without a really compelling reason, you're not going to win that case. (West Virginia leaving, you could show losses because we had to scramble to fill the football schedules. The others, not so much.)
02-07-2013 12:54 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

All the others would have paid extra $$$ to leave the conference....

And let's think about it- I can pretty much guarantee nothing has been agreed to yet. If it had- we would have heard about it for sure.

As far as us being able to leave without the 27 months- I don't think so. We were allowed to leave with no fees. He's trying to use the name to keep us here in 2013-14. That's a trade off.
02-07-2013 01:33 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/col...7781.story

"I feel strongly that the Cathiclic schools are going to be there with us," Brey said. "That's one of the reasons we decided to sit tight. It looked like the Catholic schools were not going to be able to formulate the league they're going to put together. Could they put it together in the next six weeks? Nothing would shock me."

Definitely doesn't look like any final decision has been made by the C7.
02-07-2013 01:36 PM
johnbragg Offline

(02-07-2013 01:33 PM)stever20 Wrote:  All the others would have paid extra $$$ to leave the conference....

And let's think about it- I can pretty much guarantee nothing has been agreed to yet. If it had- we would have heard about it for sure.

As far as us being able to leave without the 27 months- I don't think so. We were allowed to leave with no fees. He's trying to use the name to keep us here in 2013-14. That's a trade off.

Except in that case it's not a trade.

1. We get the name
2. We get to leave a year early (compared to staying the full 27 months.)
02-07-2013 03:13 PM
AMDG Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: SLU
(02-07-2013 01:36 PM)stever20 Wrote:  http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/col...7781.story

"I feel strongly that the Cathiclic schools are going to be there with us," Brey said. "That's one of the reasons we decided to sit tight. It looked like the Catholic schools were not going to be able to formulate the league they're going to put together. Could they put it together in the next six weeks? Nothing would shock me."

He has it on good authority from Teo's girlfriend.
02-07-2013 03:13 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-07-2013 03:13 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 01:33 PM)stever20 Wrote:  All the others would have paid extra $$$ to leave the conference....

Except in that case it's not a trade.

1. We get the name
2. We get to leave a year early (compared to staying the full 27 months.)

Depends on everything else. If we got those 2, but then didn't get any of the exit fees or hoops units- that would be a trade.
02-07-2013 03:20 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
2014? 2015?

It doesn't appear to be that big of a deal either way for ND.

If it were, Swarbrick would write the check.
02-07-2013 04:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

Like I said before, it is completely possible that we are not locked into a 27 month wait. The prenup was written prior to any kind of wait to exit the league was in the books. If we can leave without paying exit fee's than it stands to reason that we can leave without waiting 27 months. It goes along with everything we've been hearing the last two weeks from Aresco. If we were stuck he wouldn't be trying to convince us to stay one more year.
02-07-2013 05:16 PM
FriarTuck420 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Providence
ND is in a win win situation. If they think the C7 are staying the gt t sit back and watch what happens with the conference realignment. If the C7 bolt early ND is in position to recieve money from the settalment.

Either way, I like the idea of on more go around. Throw in a couple more decent teams and your looking at a potential 11 team bid come tourney time with 3 - 4 more going NIT and one other going to the CIB tournament.
02-07-2013 05:21 PM
IrishBluejay Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: CU and ND
(02-07-2013 03:13 PM)AMDG Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 01:36 PM)stever20 Wrote:  http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/col...7781.story

Hold everything.

Looks like Brey was speaking out of turn. ND Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick just tweeted that ND's 2014 arrival in the ACC is not certain, clarifying that negotiations continue.
02-07-2013 05:22 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-07-2013 05:16 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Like I said before, it is completely possible that we are not locked into a 27 month wait. The prenup was written prior to any kind of wait to exit the league was in the books. If we can leave without paying exit fee's than it stands to reason that we can leave without waiting 27 months. It goes along with everything we've been hearing the last two weeks from Aresco. If we were stuck he wouldn't be trying to convince us to stay one more year.

I think you are really dreaming here. no where has anyone said that there isn't the 27 month waiting time. That time was done the same time as the prenup.

It doesn't go along with everything with Aresco. He's negotiating. We know what we're getting, but what about the fees or units. Maybe he is ok with us leaving, but they keep all the $$$.
02-07-2013 05:23 PM
johnbragg Offline

(02-07-2013 05:22 PM)IrishBluejay Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 03:13 PM)AMDG Wrote:  

Hold everything.

Looks like Brey was speaking out of turn. ND Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick just tweeted that ND's 2014 arrival in the ACC is not certain, clarifying that negotiations continue.

That seems to mean that I wildly over-reacted to today's news--all it means is that ND isn't moving for 2013-14. Not that there's been any agreement at all about 2014.

That fits with the lack of mention of Notre DAme paying, and the lack of confirmation of Notre Dame paying.
02-07-2013 06:43 PM
NJRedMan Offline
Tasted It

(02-07-2013 05:23 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 05:16 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  Like I said before, it is completely possible that we are not locked into a 27 month wait. The prenup was written prior to any kind of wait to exit the league was in the books. If we can leave without paying exit fee's than it stands to reason that we can leave without waiting 27 months. It goes along with everything we've been hearing the last two weeks from Aresco. If we were stuck he wouldn't be trying to convince us to stay one more year.

I think you are really dreaming here. no where has anyone said that there isn't the 27 month waiting time. That time was done the same time as the prenup.

It doesn't go along with everything with Aresco. He's negotiating. We know what we're getting, but what about the fees or units. Maybe he is ok with us leaving, but they keep all the $$$.

Has anyone actually said we have to wait? Im not talking about reporters, but an actual big east or C7 representative? No. If The Jersey Guy is the actual mouth for Aresco then why would Aresco try to get us to stay by offering us the Big East name?
02-07-2013 07:03 PM
johnbragg Offline

(02-07-2013 07:03 PM)NJRedMan Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 05:23 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

Has anyone actually said we have to wait? Im not talking about reporters, but an actual big east or C7 representative? No. If The Jersey Guy is the actual mouth for Aresco then why would Aresco try to get us to stay by offering us the Big East name?

I remember when Notre DAme left, there were press nuggets that they wouldn't have to pay their exit fee if they stayed the 27 months. I said those press nuggets were wrong, since the bylaws didn't say anything about that--bylaws say 27 months AND $5M.

Since Notre Dame was widely reported as having to wait 27 months, later revealed to be part of the Pre-Nup, I think it's established that 27 months is part of the Pre-Nup. Obviously that could be shortened by mutual agreement.

From today's Chicago Tribune:

"Big East bylaws mandated a 27-month waiting period before departure and there was some thought that Notre Dame -- which wouldn't owe the league a penny of relocation fees if it waited that long -- would negotiate an early exit to jump in with fellow Big East exports Syracuse and Pittsburgh for the 2013-14 athletic calendar."

No exit fee if Notre Dame waits 27 months. That's not in the bylaws. So it must be in the Pre-nup.

Quote:If The Jersey Guy is the actual mouth for Aresco then why would Aresco try to get us to stay by offering us the Big East name?

Jersey Guy is also a sloppy clown. I don't have a better answer then that.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2013 07:25 PM by johnbragg.)
02-07-2013 07:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.