Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ohio Schools as MAC Football Champs
Bookmark and Share
chipfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Ohio Schools as MAC Football Champs
I have looked up the MAC Football Champs since 1997 (When Divisions were established and there was a MACC), and found it interesting that during that period only 5 times out of 16 were Ohio schools the champ (Toledo 2; Miami 2; Akron 1) despite having half of the league's schools in Ohio. Not sure what it means, but to me it was a bit of a surprise.
02-07-2013 08:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bobcat95 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RE: Ohio Schools as MAC Football Champs
(02-07-2013 08:10 AM)chipfan Wrote:  I have looked up the MAC Football Champs since 1997 (When Divisions were established and there was a MACC), and found it interesting that during that period only 5 times out of 16 were Ohio schools the champ (Toledo 2; Miami 2; Akron 1) despite having half of the league's schools in Ohio. Not sure what it means, but to me it was a bit of a surprise.

I'm not really surprised to hear that. In the early years, Marshall was the dominant team with Western/Miami/Toledo challenging their dominance occassionally. Remember the days when all of the MAC Championship games were played in Huntington, West Virginia? More recently, CMU and NIU have been the more dominant programs. Toledo has been the most consistant Ohio program, so if there were 1 team I would expect to have more championships without looking back, they would have been it.
02-07-2013 08:41 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-07-2013 08:41 AM)bobcat95 Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 08:10 AM)chipfan Wrote:  I have looked up the MAC Football Champs since 1997 (When Divisions were established and there was a MACC), and found it interesting that during that period only 5 times out of 16 were Ohio schools the champ (Toledo 2; Miami 2; Akron 1) despite having half of the league's schools in Ohio. Not sure what it means, but to me it was a bit of a surprise.

I'm not really surprised to hear that. In the early years, Marshall was the dominant team with Western/Miami/Toledo challenging their dominance occassionally. Remember the days when all of the MAC Championship games were played in Huntington, West Virginia? More recently, CMU and NIU have been the more dominant programs. Toledo has been the most consistant Ohio program, so if there were 1 team I would expect to have more championships without looking back, they would have been it.

I totally agree with your assessment----the Pennington/Leftwich era at Marshall, the LeFavour era at CMU and now the Harnish/Lynch era at NIU account for a lot of those championships. Toledo was down a few years there as well-----even in 2008 when they beat Michigan they were only 3-8 (including the victory over Michigan!)
02-07-2013 09:13 AM
The Optimist Offline
1st String

I Root For: Nicheless MAC
The Ohio schools are at a disadvantage with the MAC being so heavily centered in Ohio. Recruits get spread around thinly...
02-07-2013 09:52 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(02-07-2013 09:52 AM)The Optimist Wrote:  The Ohio schools are at a disadvantage with the MAC being so heavily centered in Ohio. Recruits get spread around thinly...

That's one interpretation. There's probably something to that.
02-07-2013 10:08 AM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo

To that point, Toledo has played in five MAC Championship games since 1997. Unfortunately four of those were played against Marshall and the three losses were all in games played at Marshall's stadium.

Ohio schools have played in a lot of MAC Championship games that they did not win. Toledo has lost three, Ohio has lost 2 or 3. BG has lost 1. Have I missed any?
02-07-2013 10:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU007 Online
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I don't think it has anything to do with recruits being spread out too much in Ohio. Nobody is limiting Ohio teams to Ohio recruits. I think it's the other stuff mentioned - Marshall playing at home, then one team gets a good QB and wins for a few years.
02-07-2013 11:11 AM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
There must be a mistake here somewhere.....what about the Flagship program in Athens? Not one championship?
02-07-2013 11:45 AM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(02-07-2013 10:55 AM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  

To that point, Toledo has played in five MAC Championship games since 1997. Unfortunately four of those were played against Marshall and the three losses were all in games played at Marshall's stadium.

Ohio schools have played in a lot of MAC Championship games that they did not win. Toledo has lost three, Ohio has lost 2 or 3. BG has lost 1. Have I missed any?

Miami to Toledo in 2004 and to CMU in 2007.
02-07-2013 12:36 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO

if you take out the Marshall wins its 5 of 11, which is about average.
02-07-2013 12:36 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(02-07-2013 12:36 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  

Uh, KSU in 2012.
02-07-2013 12:38 PM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(02-07-2013 12:38 PM)axeme Wrote:  

Uh, KSU in 2012.

Kent St has football?
02-07-2013 12:44 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

(02-07-2013 12:44 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 08:41 AM)bobcat95 Wrote:  I'm not really surprised to hear that. In the early years, Marshall was the dominant team with Western/Miami/Toledo challenging their dominance occassionally. Remember the days when all of the MAC Championship games were played in Huntington, West Virginia? More recently, CMU and NIU have been the more dominant programs. Toledo has been the most consistant Ohio program, so if there were 1 team I would expect to have more championships without looking back, they would have been it.

Uh, KSU in 2012.

Kent St has football?

Maybe. What do you think?

COGS
02-07-2013 12:57 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-07-2013 12:57 PM)axeme Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 10:55 AM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  To that point, Toledo has played in five MAC Championship games since 1997. Unfortunately four of those were played against Marshall and the three losses were all in games played at Marshall's stadium.

Uh, KSU in 2012.

Kent St has football?

COGS

I never saw those runs before. Just like Cribbs and Edelman, it is impossible to tackle him once he gets into open field.
02-07-2013 10:25 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(02-07-2013 10:25 PM)DICK Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 12:57 PM)axeme Wrote:  
(02-07-2013 12:36 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  Miami to Toledo in 2004 and to CMU in 2007.

Uh, KSU in 2012.

Kent St has football?

COGS

I never saw those runs before. Just like Cribbs and Edelman, it is impossible to tackle him once he gets into open field.

Reminds me a bit of this guy here:

02-07-2013 11:12 PM
El Grande Flippero Offline
1st String

I Root For: BG!! SU!!
That run by Archer to put Kent up 24-17 was insane.....I was sitting kinda low on the east side of the stadium and saw him disappear into a clump of guys and then suddenly reappear a few seconds later zipping accross the field. It took a few seconds to process because it seemed so nonsensical.

I watched a lot of football at the Doyt...I can't recall ever seeing a back with a pair of 70+ TD runs answered with 70+ yard TD passes not just on the next possession but the next play by the same WR. Archer and Gallon were trading shots like Ali and Frazier. Hated the outcome....but that was a fun game to watch.
02-07-2013 11:35 PM
Advertisement

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
Ohio U has not won a championship in over 50 years and is giving the rest of the Ohio schools a black-eye. It is not fair to include them as they are an outlier. This entire argument would be more fair to the rest of us if we exclude them as they can't and won't ever win a MAC Championship. 05-stirthepot

02-08-2013 07:11 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

(02-07-2013 11:35 PM)El Grande Flippero Wrote:  That run by Archer to put Kent up 24-17 was insane.....I was sitting kinda low on the east side of the stadium and saw him disappear into a clump of guys and then suddenly reappear a few seconds later zipping accross the field. It took a few seconds to process because it seemed so nonsensical.

I watched a lot of football at the Doyt...I can't recall ever seeing a back with a pair of 70+ TD runs answered with 70+ yard TD passes not just on the next possession but the next play by the same WR. Archer and Gallon were trading shots like Ali and Frazier. Hated the outcome....but that was a fun game to watch.

The second run still looks eerie. You are right about the first part of the run. Your mind tells you he is going down in that clump of tacklers and blockers, then it's startling to see him running cross field. When he gets inside the 30 over on the right side, it looks like there are BG defenders on both sides coming up that will have a shot at him, but he weaves through like there is some kind of force field around him that doesn't let anyone get within reach. That run was just other worldly.
02-08-2013 07:25 AM
rocket 51 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
RHawks>>>>>Eric Page...Bernard Reddy, thank you.
02-08-2013 08:08 AM
exCincy Kid Offline
All American

I Root For:
Miami (Oh) Yeah posted: Ohio U has not won a championship in over 50 years and is giving the rest of the Ohio schools a black-eye. It is not fair to include them as they are an outlier. This entire argument would be more fair to the rest of us if we exclude them as they can't and won't ever win a MAC Championship.

eCK: Flagship program!
02-08-2013 11:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.