BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
Someone has to go..Why can't it be
Bill Koch?????
Figgin idiot

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/uc/2013/02/0...-lawrence/

Someone has to go to make room for Lawrence

While UC fans anticipate the arrival next season of 6-10 power forward Jermaine Lawrence, one of the top high school players in the country who committed to Mick Cronin on Sunday, the Bearcats are left with the problem of having too many scholarship players and not enough scholarships for next year.

UC signed four players to letters-of-intent last fall. The four are guards Kevin Johnson, Troy Caupain and, Deshaun Moorman, along with 6-10 center Jameree Strickland.

The Bearcats lose three scholarship seniors off this year’s team – Cashmere Wright, JaQuon Parker and Cheikh Mbodj. Because they are one under the limit of 13 scholarship players this year, that leaves them with four open spots for next year, all of which have already been accounted for.

Assuming that everyone returns next year from this year’s team, when Lawrence signs his letter-of-intent in April, somebody will have to go to make room for him.

This kind of stupidity shouldn't go unnoticed.
Please email Kock's boss

arodriguez@enquirer.com.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 12:23 PM by BearcatBeta.)
02-05-2013 12:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DDaddy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats

Donators
RE: Someone has to go..Why can't it be
I like your pick!

02-05-2013 12:19 PM
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I am by far a Bill Koch fan but what is wrong with him asking this question in the article? Do you think the same article would not have been written in other schools cities?

He is doing his job by questioning who will need to leave, or not come, to make room for Lawrence.

02-05-2013 12:24 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
wow. we can talk about it but he cannot let a region hear about it?

02-05-2013 12:29 PM
BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
(02-05-2013 12:24 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  I am by far a Bill Koch fan but what is wrong with him asking this question in the article? Do you think the same article would not have been written in other schools cities?

He is doing his job by questioning who will need to leave, or not come, to make room for Lawrence.

He's an A$$. Period
While there are limits to what can be said, discussing
it with the HC and staff in general terms might give
him a clue.
I hate these worthless pieces by Kock. Period

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 12:41 PM by BearcatBeta.)
02-05-2013 12:33 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-05-2013 12:33 PM)BearcatBeta Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 12:24 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  I am by far a Bill Koch fan but what is wrong with him asking this question in the article? Do you think the same article would not have been written in other schools cities?

He's an A$$. Period
him a clue.

I'm a Koch antagonist as much as the next guy but how is the piece he did worthless?

02-05-2013 12:46 PM
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

He's an A$$. Period
him a clue.

damn brother. you might be better off not reading him. i kind of think you get a kick out of reading his articles just so you can say, "ha! this guy's an idiot!" he fills a void in your life

02-05-2013 12:50 PM
bearcatfan1211 Offline
Special Teams

(02-05-2013 12:46 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  

He's an A$$. Period
him a clue.

I'm a Koch antagonist as much as the next guy but how is the piece he did worthless?

I'm guessing because of the negative attitude around it all. Instead of putting out an article raving about Jermaine Lawrence and what this commitment means for the both Mick Cronin and the University and getting the fanbase pumped up, he puts out a debbie downer article about how this guy (Jermaine Lawrence) is coming in so somebody has to be forced out the door.

02-05-2013 12:52 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
(02-05-2013 12:52 PM)bearcatfan1211 Wrote:  I'm guessing because of the negative attitude around it all. Instead of putting out an article raving about Jermaine Lawrence and what this commitment means for the both Mick Cronin and the University and getting the fanbase pumped up, he puts out a debbie downer article about how this guy (Jermaine Lawrence) is coming in so somebody has to be forced out the door.

The problem with that is he actually wrote one on Lawrence. How dare Bill Koch write the obvious question that a lot of people were thinking!

02-05-2013 12:57 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-05-2013 12:52 PM)bearcatfan1211 Wrote:  

He's an A$$. Period
him a clue.

I'm guessing because of the negative attitude around it all. Instead of putting out an article raving about Jermaine Lawrence and what this commitment means for the both Mick Cronin and the University and getting the fanbase pumped up, he puts out a debbie downer article about how this guy (Jermaine Lawrence) is coming in so somebody has to be forced out the door.

He did that already. Here and here.

02-05-2013 12:57 PM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
I can see the angst as to Bill yet again finding a way to poop in the party punch bowl, but he raises a legit question here that many UC fans are wondering. He's still a lazy turd but he asks a legit question here.

02-05-2013 12:58 PM
Advertisement

bearcatfan1211 Offline
Special Teams

(02-05-2013 12:57 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 12:52 PM)bearcatfan1211 Wrote:  

He's an A$$. Period
him a clue.

He did that already. Here and here.

Ok then I stand corrected. I don't read the enquier I just assumed this was all that had been printed since I didn't notice the other two. Which is kind of interesting in itself that only his negative articles get posted and ridiculed on here but his positive ones aren't or aren't discussed as much. Most just have an accumulated hate toward him and will find whatever they can that fits their agenda though.

02-05-2013 01:03 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Cut him slack. He probably got the idea for the article from this board.

02-05-2013 01:03 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
You really aren't going to like this from Mo...

>>>>

3) Mick Cronin has signed too many guys.  And that means someone on the has to go.  If next year's class, which recruiting "experts" seem to be high on, has better players than what the Bearcats have now, we'll be all too happy to make an incumbent player expendable.  And yes, I can name one or two players I'd prefer to not see play anymore. 

But there's a problem highlighted here, and it's far from a UC issue.  Coaches can find replacements for players already under scholarship and run them out.  That might not be a big deal to you and I as fans, but for a business (yes, business) that laughably claims to have the best interests of the student-athletes in mind, the practice of coaches running kids out simply because another new player might be better doesn't seem to really serve the kids, now does it?

Mind you, this isn't exclusive to UC, and we have no idea what Mick and his coaching staff know about the composition of next year's team and what variables will affect it.  There are probably one or two players who would be better served by playing elsewhere and the pressure to win demands that roster upgrades trump everything and nearly every school.

But if the players have little mobility, should the schools have the flexibility to not renew scholarships simply because a newer player might be better.  Perhaps a player isn't a kid athletically, but what if he's getting it done academically and finding success within a specific program at his school?  Maybe he's developed relationships at that school he doesn't want to relinquish.  The system punishes players if they decide one place isn't a good fit, but if someone else decides for them that they don't fit, the system also punishes them?

That doesn't work.

02-05-2013 01:05 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

can we sticky a thread for bill koch articles that way some of us don't have to go around defending a man we don't want to defend?

02-05-2013 01:07 PM
BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
I'm hoping it works itself out.

02-05-2013 02:06 PM
Advertisement

Mopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
Deshaun Mormon is still up in the air as far as qualifying. Everyone who follows UC's recruiting knows this. Logically the first question that should be asked in this situation is not "who is losing their scholarship?!" It's about Mormon's academics. If he is not on pace to qualify there is no question at all. But acknowledging that doesn't generate page views. That is unless you frame the question about Mormon as "Cincinnati Bearcats recruit can't read," which is the tack Koch is most likely to take.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 02:14 PM by Mopper.)
02-05-2013 02:12 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(02-05-2013 01:03 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Cut him slack. He probably got the idea for the article from this board.

I am inclined to agree with you.

02-05-2013 02:16 PM
payday Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats!
An academic scollie can be pulled from a student that doesn't make grade in the class room. Why shouldn't the same apply to an athletic schollie that doesn't make grade on the (floor, field, pool)?

One needs to perform to keep it in either case. It may not be pleasant, but it's reality.

02-05-2013 02:17 PM
R03jsniper Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UC and the Reds
(02-05-2013 02:17 PM)payday Wrote:  An academic scollie can be pulled from a student that doesn't make grade in the class room. Why shouldn't the same apply to an athletic schollie that doesn't make grade on the (floor, field, pool)?

One needs to perform to keep it in either case. It may not be pleasant, but it's reality.

Because first and formost these kids are here to get an education first and play basketball second. If UC made the mistake of signing a guy who never pans out on the floor he still has another future other than basketball and to take his scholarship and education away and kick him to the curb is a little unethical don't ya think?

02-05-2013 02:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.