Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT- El Paso still...
Bookmark and Share
shyminer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP MINERS
OT- El Paso still...
The safest city in America, and one of the best places to watch a football game :)

http://www.kvia.com/news/El-Paso-again-r...index.html
02-05-2013 11:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

I Root For: UTEP Miners
RE: OT- El Paso still...
El Paso finally became number one. We have routinely been the second and fourth safest city with a population of 500K or more. We are now the safest. Viva El Paso!
02-05-2013 11:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Yeah, I always thought it was really ignorant of people to assume that because Juarez is a crime-ridden, free-fire zone, El Paso must be the same. I'm guessing though that El Paso probably has a fairly high concentration of federal law enforcement--FBI, Border Patrol, DEA, ATF, etc--to make sure things stay across the border, and maybe that also has the effect of cutting down on local crime and making El Paso unusually safe.
02-05-2013 11:39 AM
mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

(02-05-2013 11:39 AM)cotton1991 Wrote:  Yeah, I always thought it was really ignorant of people to assume that because Juarez is a crime-ridden, free-fire zone, El Paso must be the same. I'm guessing though that El Paso probably has a fairly high concentration of federal law enforcement--FBI, Border Patrol, DEA, ATF, etc--to make sure things stay across the border, and maybe that also has the effect of cutting down on local crime and making El Paso unusually safe.

Pretty much correct on all counts. Though, in Ciudad Juarez, the fire fights are usually concentrated and specific. Still, you don't want to be around when it goes down. Also, no sense is being successful in Ciudad Juarez as that just makes you a candidate to be kidnapped. Very sad.

The good news, and the reality, is that stuff stays over there. In the five plus years that Ciudad Juarez has gone to **** there have only been two incidents of spillover crime. Two too many but still. Most illegals just want to work. The vast majority don't cause a problem. Sure, some commit crime just as some of any demographic do. El Paso is largely middle class and hard working.

As you mentioned, there is a large population of peace officers and law enforcement in El Paso. Some point to Fort Bliss but I am not convinced that is a crime deterrant. As a matter of fact, murders (what few there are) and driving fatalities have gone up since Fort Bliss expanded.

Beheadings and kidnappings make for great smack talk though 05-stirthepot
02-05-2013 11:58 AM
panicstricken Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulsa
Juarez is at least getting better.

I just wish the Mexican Govt would settle on one Cartel and let them run the drug trade.

I was in Mexico (Punta Mita) last week. Even in the Nayarit Riveria there is a pretty heavy military presence.

I love Mexico

Im probably gonna do the UTEP trip this year as it might be the last time I get to do it. Always wanted to visit that part of the state.
02-05-2013 12:02 PM
shyminer Offline
Heisman

I wish I could hit up Juarez... the few times I went, it was fun!
02-05-2013 12:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(02-05-2013 12:41 PM)shyminer Wrote:  I wish I could hit up Juarez... the few times I went, it was fun!

As one of the older members of this board I remember going to Juarez as a youth on the street cars. I don't think they have existed for a long time. Point is though that it was very safe to go back and forth across the border and very common to go over with your family for dinner at some great eateries. Times have really changed but I'm glad El Paso is keeping things safe.
02-05-2013 12:46 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Going to Juarez in my youth make for great memories. Sometimes we'd be in school and we'd agree to play hookey and go to Juarez to play pool. Going home was another matter as we'd be broke and we'd have to scrounge pennies and nickels to buy a loaf of bread to eat. LOL
After my graduation most everyone went to K-4 or the Bronco drive-ins to buy beer and flautas and party a bit. Those were the days my friend.
02-05-2013 01:13 PM
adluther Offline
1st String

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but things like this article are misleading. Intentional misleading Statistics used.

Anyone who is knowledgable in statistics, undergrad/grad level experience, know better than to trust any of these reports that you'll find on the front page of Yahoo or like this one, no matter what publishing company releases them.

For example, a year ago, a top publication released an article "Best Healthcare cities" in the US. One would assume cities like Nashville (where HCA is located), Dallas, NYC, Boston, and other big health care cities would be on this list. Nope. Top city was Lakeland, FL. The reason this occured.. the stastics used. This poll/article used open hospital beds per capita/population as the defining factor. So if there is a city with a small population and a huge hospital they'd be on the list. Or if a small city had a hospital with alot of deaths, resulting in open hospital beds, they'd still be a top health care city.

All that to say, this report is B/S and uses misleading stastics to create the report. No one believes that NYC, LA, El Paso and San Diego are in the top ten safest cities. 01-wingedeagle I'm not saying El Paso is as bad as everyone makes it out to be... but I defeinitely wouldn't consider it one of the safest cities. If it had not been for LA/NYC, i'd assume cities are ranked top to bottom as 'safest' based on law enforcement per capita. ..Which does not equal safest.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 01:38 PM by adluther.)
02-05-2013 01:35 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(02-05-2013 01:35 PM)adluther Wrote:  Not to rain on anyone's parade, but things like this article are misleading. Intentional misleading Statistics used.

Anyone who is knowledgable in statistics, undergrad/grad level experience, know better than to trust any of these reports that you'll find on the front page of Yahoo or like this one, no matter what publishing company releases them.

For example, a year ago, a top publication released an article "Best Healthcare cities" in the US. One would assume cities like Nashville (where HCA is located), Dallas, NYC, Boston, and other big health care cities would be on this list. Nope. Top city was Lakeland, FL. The reason this occured.. the stastics used. This poll/article used open hospital beds per capita/population as the defining factor. So if there is a city with a small population and a huge hospital they'd be on the list. Or if a small city had a hospital with alot of deaths, resulting in open hospital beds, they'd still be a top health care city.

All that to say, this report is B/S and uses misleading stastics to create the report. No one believes that NYC, LA, El Paso and San Diego are in the top ten safest cities. 01-wingedeagle I'm not saying El Paso is as bad as everyone makes it out to be... but I defeinitely wouldn't consider it one of the safest cities. If it had not been for LA/NYC, i'd assume cities are ranked top to bottom as 'safest' based on law enforcement per capita. ..Which does not equal safest.

I understand that's what our city administration and MPD head says when these come out. However, I don't care what statistics they use, the city and MPD have had ample opportunity to fix the problem.

I've traveled a good bit in my day and there's no other place that I'd rather live than in my hometown because it truly does have a unique attraction to folks that understand it, but we need to get off of the bottom of that list and fix the issues; social and otherwise.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2013 02:26 PM by oldtiger.)
02-05-2013 01:49 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(02-05-2013 11:17 AM)shyminer Wrote:  The safest city in America, and one of the best places to watch a football game :)

Where is the pic of the guy getting the handjob?
02-05-2013 01:52 PM
Advertisement

07owl Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
I would think El Paso is so much safer than Juarez because the bosses of the violent people in Juarez give strict orders to keep the violence on the Mexican side. Not in their best interests to get U.S. law enforcement involved.
02-05-2013 02:44 PM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
I have good memories of Juarez. I heard things are better now and hopefully things like public safety and the economy will improve for Juarenses.

El Paso is really a safe city. I've been to cities the size of El Paso (Albuquerque, Tucson, Fresno, etc) and just by watching the local news or reading the local paper you can tell the huge difference in crime in those cities compared to El Paso.

El Paso has beat the odds because according to the "experts" it should be a very violent city:

1) It's minority majority town (85% Hispanic)
2) It's on the border
3) It has a high poverty rate
4) It has a high HS dropout rate
5) The lack of "entertainment" (which I never understood because if you're a boring person you'll get bored regardless where you live)
6) Lack of good jobs
7) A high obesity rate

It's really amazing how El Paso has proved the "experts" wrong.
02-05-2013 03:13 PM
shyminer Offline
Heisman

(02-05-2013 01:52 PM)Thegoldstandard Wrote:  
(02-05-2013 11:17 AM)shyminer Wrote:  The safest city in America, and one of the best places to watch a football game :)

Where is the pic of the guy getting the handjob?

Well we know the most ignorant city now04-cheers
02-05-2013 03:32 PM
Pyrizzo Offline
Eyes in the Sky

I Root For: nothing
When I lived in El Paso there was only one thing I worried about...and that was my car being stolen. It has happened numerous times to family and friends. I definitely lucked out. I never feared for my life, just my property.
02-05-2013 03:38 PM
MinerTime Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UTEP
(02-05-2013 11:19 AM)mistabinks Wrote:  El Paso finally became number one. We have routinely been the second and fourth safest city with a population of 500K or more. We are now the safest. Viva El Paso!

Where ya been Mista? This is actually the third year in a row that we are #1. 04-rock

El Paso ranked safest large city in U.S. for 3rd straight year - EPTimes
02-06-2013 12:48 AM
Advertisement

mistabinks Offline
Glory Road Resident

Third year in a row or third time at #1?

Regardless, the best stat:

El Paso has been in the top three large cities with the lowest crime rates since 1997.
02-06-2013 01:42 AM
shyminer Offline
Heisman

Third yr straight Binks!
02-06-2013 10:39 AM
RUNVSFD MINER Offline
The voice in your head...See?

I Root For: UTEP
I can walk into a grocery store in any neighborhood in El Paso, without any hesitation.....

Can't say the same about Albuquerque, Tucson, and other comparable towns.
02-06-2013 08:42 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
There have been 19 posts in this thread and I haven't seen this.......

Congratulations El Paso, UTEP, and Miner fans. Can't get any better than #1. Being the safest city beats the heck out of recruiting classes, W/L records, conference championships, etc. All that other stuff is for fun, being safe is for real.

Congrats, that's a stat to be proud of.
02-07-2013 12:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.