Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Problems on College campuses
Bookmark and Share
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
Problems on College campuses
I only posted this because in the past posters was saying that they would never allow their kids to attend NIU because of all of the problems

I said at the time that it is not an NIU problem but a nationwide problem;;
Witness the shooting recently at that campus in Texas. We as a society have to recognize that and work on a solution and not playing the name game.

I get tired of some lurkers coming on to focus on NIU as if we were the only university with problems

http://www.suntimes.com/
01-29-2013 07:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goniu1523 Offline
1st String

RE: Problems on College campuses
What am i looking at on the suntimes site?

The Loyola story?
01-29-2013 07:41 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

The problem with NIU is the perception and then reality. You and I know there are crimes on all college campuses. The perception with many parents is that NIU has a lot more crime than U of I and ISU. Perception is very hard to change when most parents, students and future students believe it.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2013 07:48 PM by NIU75.)
01-29-2013 07:46 PM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(01-29-2013 07:46 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  The problem with NIU is the perception and then reality. You and I know there are crimes on all college campuses. The perception with many parents is that NIU has a lot more crime than U of I and ISU. Perception is very hard to change when most parents, students and future students believe it.

Then NIU has to make a conscious effort to change those perceptions, because it's hurting the school and the Dekalb community. I'm not holding my breath, though. NIU has never been good at getting out in front of an issue and breaking inertia.
01-30-2013 09:07 AM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

All of the BS that has happened the past 2 year's has occured by the apartments around greek row area, and it's not the frat bros. DeKalb needs to make concentrated efforts to clean that area out, because the perception IS terrible. I agree the campus is fine, but too many kids come out from chicago on weekends, get into fights that make the news and tarnish the schools image. Hell, I just asked my GF is she wanted to head to a concert out there, was all gung ho until I told her it was at NIU, to which she replied she doesn't feel comfortable out there.....SMH
01-30-2013 09:40 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(01-30-2013 09:40 AM)NIU8484 Wrote:  All of the BS that has happened the past 2 year's has occured by the apartments around greek row area, and it's not the frat bros. DeKalb needs to make concentrated efforts to clean that area out, because the perception IS terrible. I agree the campus is fine, but too many kids come out from chicago on weekends, get into fights that make the news and tarnish the schools image. Hell, I just asked my GF is she wanted to head to a concert out there, was all gung ho until I told her it was at NIU, to which she replied she doesn't feel comfortable out there.....SMH

That image has lingered around for many years - even before the recent tragedies. It even exists in the dorms. I've heard of several parents who have said "no thanks" after visiting the dorms. I also know of parents who will not send their kids to NIU, feeling that it is not safe. It's unfortunate, but that's the impression.
01-30-2013 09:44 AM
Advertisement

huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(01-30-2013 09:44 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(01-30-2013 09:40 AM)NIU8484 Wrote:  All of the BS that has happened the past 2 year's has occured by the apartments around greek row area, and it's not the frat bros. DeKalb needs to make concentrated efforts to clean that area out, because the perception IS terrible. I agree the campus is fine, but too many kids come out from chicago on weekends, get into fights that make the news and tarnish the schools image. Hell, I just asked my GF is she wanted to head to a concert out there, was all gung ho until I told her it was at NIU, to which she replied she doesn't feel comfortable out there.....SMH

That image has lingered around for many years - even before the recent tragedies. It even exists in the dorms. I've heard of several parents who have said "no thanks" after visiting the dorms. I also know of parents who will not send their kids to NIU, feeling that it is not safe. It's unfortunate, but that's the impression.

+1

Two friends of mine, both of which are NIU alums, have said no way are their kids going to NIU. It was a tough decision for them, but the situation in the dorms and the the atmosphere in and around campus were the deciding factors.
01-30-2013 10:44 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2013 10:44 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  

+1

Two friends of mine, both of which are NIU alums, have said no way are their kids going to NIU. It was a tough decision for them, but the situation in the dorms and the the atmosphere in and around campus were the deciding factors.

Well I guess its a very good thing that Lincoln is going to be demoed at the end of the year.

Hopefully Douglas is next after Grant South reopens.

I also think that the new dorm along with Gilbert will help turn the perception of the dorms at least.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 10:52 AM by HuskieJohn.)
01-30-2013 10:51 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-30-2013 10:51 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  

+1

Well I guess its a very good thing that Lincoln is going to be demoed at the end of the year.

I also think that the new dorm along with Gilbert will help turn the perception of the dorms at least.

Why? Are bad things only happening in those dorms?
01-30-2013 10:57 AM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(01-30-2013 10:57 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

+1

Demolishing old dorms isn't the answer. From talking to a person I know that works in the towers, the situation is not good there.
01-30-2013 11:07 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Universities should be open minded places
and safe havens for debate, differences of opinion, people
with disabilities whom are often marginalized by society and in same cases
even more so in Universities where fear reigns over anyone outside the norm.

You cannot build a barbed wire fence around DeKalb. Most visitors are good and
no threat to students. Forums discussing Aspergers , might help students not feel threatened
by students who for no fault of their own lack the social insights , neuro-typicals (normal)
people have. Students with Aspergers (Bill Gates and Albert Einstein(reportedly had Aspergers)
tend to be the most non-violent group, yet suffer from the most accusations of harassment.

Even the College of Special Education has reportedly expelled Asperger NIU students from its
department due to prejudice and not wanting to deal with students whom are different.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 11:12 AM by sterling1man.)
01-30-2013 11:11 AM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-30-2013 11:07 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  
(01-30-2013 10:57 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(01-30-2013 09:44 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  That image has lingered around for many years - even before the recent tragedies. It even exists in the dorms. I've heard of several parents who have said "no thanks" after visiting the dorms. I also know of parents who will not send their kids to NIU, feeling that it is not safe. It's unfortunate, but that's the impression.

+1

Demolishing old dorms isn't the answer. From talking to a person I know that works in the towers, the situation is not good there.

Exactly.
01-30-2013 11:25 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-30-2013 11:11 AM)sterling1man Wrote:  Universities should be open minded places

no threat to students. Forums discussing Aspergers , might help students not feel threatened
by students who for no fault of their own lack the social insights , neuro-typicals (normal)
people have. Students with Aspergers (Bill Gates and Albert Einstein(reportedly had Aspergers)
tend to be the most non-violent group, yet suffer from the most accusations of harassment.

Even the College of Special Education has reportedly expelled Asperger NIU students from its
department due to prejudice and not wanting to deal with students whom are different.

Not sure what this all means, but I think that NIU needs to raise its admission standards to decline students who have no business being in college. Look at our graduation rate.

The situation in the dorms is real. I wonder if other universities in the state have a similar situation?
01-30-2013 11:28 AM
NIU75 Offline
All American

Based on the posts, NIU has a real problem not a perception problem.
01-30-2013 11:29 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-30-2013 11:29 AM)NIU75 Wrote:  Based on the posts, NIU has a real problem not a perception problem.

Let's put it this way. I'm as big a supporter of NIU as anyone. If I had college-age kids, I would proudly send them to NIU - but NOT if they are required to stay in the dorms (unless it were to be in a select dorm with serious students).
01-30-2013 11:34 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Solutions to improving safety in DeKalb and other University city might include the following:

1) Form specially trained student patrols working with the police to police themselves.(Equipped with batons and communication devices).

2) Establish a database of students who visit DeKalb and have students register friends with security whom with co-operation of
Chicago and DeKalb police could cross check databases to keep an eye on people with criminal records and especially sex offenders.

3) Protective measures against the very few dangerous people should include self defense classes and educational tutorials on the different types of
socially impaired students e.g. High fx autism, Aspergers etc and for students to show compassion to the latter and not treat them like lepers.
Tutorials for new students on how to recognize and avoid dangerous situations.
01-30-2013 11:35 AM
Advertisement

sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-30-2013 11:28 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(01-30-2013 11:11 AM)sterling1man Wrote:  Universities should be open minded places

Not sure what this all means, but I think that NIU needs to raise its admission standards to decline students who have no business being in college. Look at our graduation rate.

The situation in the dorms is real. I wonder if other universities in the state have a similar situation?

How does one decide who should be a student and who should not be?
What admission requirements are you referring to?
01-30-2013 11:38 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2013 11:34 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(01-30-2013 11:29 AM)NIU75 Wrote:  Based on the posts, NIU has a real problem not a perception problem.

Let's put it this way. I'm as big a supporter of NIU as anyone. If I had college-age kids, I would proudly send them to NIU - but NOT if they are required to stay in the dorms (unless it were to be in a select dorm with serious students).

How about the dorm where the hallways look like this...

[Image: 14556_10151354180907288_405123165_n.jpg]
01-30-2013 11:38 AM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

Holy Crap...Is that the New Dorm? Looks like a Marriott....
01-30-2013 11:41 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-30-2013 11:34 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

What is happening in the dorms?
01-30-2013 11:41 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.