Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question to Mattsarz or others about the Super Bowl
CardHouse Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
Question to Mattsarz or others about the Super Bowl
Matt, you are a TV guy. Just wondering why the Super Bowl hasn't been tried on a Saturday Night? The Super Bowl is the tops for American sports, but Sunday is not a "party" night for most with work the next day, especially those in the Eastern time zone.

Would ratings be any worse? (I tend to think no). Why not try it once? I'd bet America would gravitate to it the same as a Saturday night as they would a Sunday night since we are talking about the first week February when not much is going on anyway (and it's cold outside for a lot of us).
01-28-2013 11:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

I Root For: SU, Ariz. St.
RE: Question to Mattsarz or others about the Super Bowl
Frankly, there's never been a need to experiment with the Super Bowl due to poor ratings. No need to change, and I hope they don't.

You actually answered your own question in some ways. Sunday may not be a party night, but its a night that more folks are home in front of the TV compared to Saturday nights. TV networks want to maximize viewers and Sunday is a better night for it. As for it not being a party night, I've had several co-workers take at least 1/2 day off after SBS. A scheduled day off, not calling in sick.

Not TV related but I'll bet you that a bunch of restaurants, not bars, restaurants would hate the idea of a Saturday Super Bowl. When I worked in a restaurant several years ago, Sunday was not a busy night, but Saturday was. Super Bowl Sunday would be the one Sunday where I'd be sent home after about an hour when no one went out to eat. Flip SB to a Saturday, probably kills that restaurant's business that night, and Sunday isn't going to replace it.

Pizza & wing places? May not matter to them. But the sit down places, they would be hit.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2013 06:55 AM by mattsarz.)
01-29-2013 06:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

This might be a better example. Assume all things being equal, including a 6:30pm kickoff on a Saturday.

In the event of a blowout at halftime, which night are you more likely to consider alternate entertainment options, like going to the movies. Saturday or Sunday?
01-29-2013 07:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I've often wondered about this... best answer I've ever seen!
01-29-2013 11:55 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
Have you ever heard of the term "Friday Night Death Slot?" It is the term used to describe Friday nights on TV as a graveyard. Saturday night is only slightly better.

The two nights with the highest TV viewership are Sunday and Thrusday. That is why shows like Survivor and Biggest Loser always have thei rlive Finale's on Sunday, because more people are available to watch.

The NFL would not voluntarily move the Super Bowl to a Saturday Night. While sports draw better on Saturday's than most any other sport, the same event never draws near as well as they do on Sunday. All you have to do is look at the TV ratings for the NFL playoffs to see. The second Sunday game always dwarfs the Saturday Night game in attendance.

In the 70's and 80's, there were a few TV shows that thrived on Saturdays because everyone else simply gave up. Sam with ABC and Fridays. But in general, you avoid those two nights whenever possible.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2013 03:20 PM by adcorbett.)
01-29-2013 03:18 PM
Advertisement

mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(01-29-2013 03:18 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  Have you ever heard of the term "Friday Night Death Slot?" It is the term used to describe Friday nights on TV as a graveyard. Saturday night is only slightly better?

Yeah. Saturday night has pretty much become a rerun night for the networks. You can win the night with a 2.0 rating for the 2nd run of a Law & Order: SVU episode.

You the viewer are a captive audience on Sunday night. Essentially you aren't going anywhere. That was the point I was attempting to make with the alternate entertainment choices. Malls, big box stores, some movie theatres are closed on Sunday nights or have their final showing early in the evening. Not the case on Saturdays. You have until 9pm or 10pm, even later for the movies or the bar band at the local tavern.

That same train of thought likely was the reason why the NFL and the networks have their Saturday NFL doubleheaders on WC and Divisional Round weekends at 4:30pm and 8pm ET. OK, the 1st game sucked and you might have left the house to get some beer or laundry detergent, but you're not missing that 2nd game to go to the movies, because you won't know that game sucked until about 9:30pm ET.

And note that this really only affects the Eastern time zone and maybe some on Central time. Mountain and Pacific time are unaffected by this b/c the game ends at 7pm or 8pm local time for them.
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2013 03:31 PM by mattsarz.)
01-29-2013 03:26 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
Easiest way to piss off a TV producer: threaten to move their show to Saturday Night.
01-29-2013 03:34 PM
CardHouse Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
Thanks for the responses. I still think the Super Bowl itself would influence American behavior on that Saturday night. With this overall Saturday night challenge for TV viewership, it's interesting that the Final Four has kept the Saturday-Monday format.
01-29-2013 10:02 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-29-2013 10:02 PM)CardHouse Wrote:  Thanks for the responses. I still think the Super Bowl itself would influence American behavior on that Saturday night. With this overall Saturday night challenge for TV viewership, it's interesting that the Final Four has kept the Saturday-Monday format.

Which I HATE! If anyone needs to change, the Final Four needs to move to Friday / Sunday, or even Saturday/Sunday... I truly despise championship games on Monday night... but maybe that's because I have to be at work every morning at 6:30 AM ?
01-30-2013 07:07 AM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
Re: Question to Mattsarz or others about the Super Bowl
I just wish the Super Bowl started a little earlier. If kickoff were even 5:30 EST instead of 6:30 it would be huge. That would mean the game would end at 9 9:30 instead of 10 10:30. I'm awake either way, but let's face facts if you've gotta drive say an hour back from somewhere it sucks. And are you really kickin everyone out as soon as the game is over?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
01-30-2013 07:35 AM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I remember when CBS ruled the broadcast world based on its Saturday night lineup (All In The Family, MASH, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, et. al.).
01-30-2013 07:45 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2013 07:45 AM)Wolfman Wrote:  I remember when CBS ruled the broadcast world based on its Saturday night lineup (All In The Family, MASH, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, et. al.).

I also remember when Star Trek was in its first run... rushing home from school to see Capt. Kirk battle the Gorn / Rock Monster / Klingons / Romuluns / etc.

Back in those days you knew that the football national champion was going to come from this set: Alabama, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Georgia, USC, Nebraska, Michigan. No one else had a realistic shot. We are so much more inclusive now, eh?
01-30-2013 08:23 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
You Guys are old! 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

Unfortunately, I remember those days as well. But at least I was a kid then. 03-lmfao
01-30-2013 09:08 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2013 09:08 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  You Guys are old! 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

Unfortunately, I remember those days as well. But at least I was a kid then. 03-lmfao

Well, the school I was rushing home from was elementary... I think Star Trek was in re-runs by the time I was in 3rd grade or so?
01-30-2013 10:10 AM
mattsarz Offline
TV Guide

(01-29-2013 10:02 PM)CardHouse Wrote:  Thanks for the responses. I still think the Super Bowl itself would influence American behavior on that Saturday night. With this overall Saturday night challenge for TV viewership, it's interesting that the Final Four has kept the Saturday-Monday format.

The Final Four gets only about 20% of the viewers of the Super Bowl. Also doesn't have the advertising spend that the Super Bowl does.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 12:28 PM by mattsarz.)
01-30-2013 11:11 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(01-30-2013 07:07 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

Which I HATE! If anyone needs to change, the Final Four needs to move to Friday / Sunday, or even Saturday/Sunday... I truly despise championship games on Monday night... but maybe that's because I have to be at work every morning at 6:30 AM ?

Don't you just love some good 'ol introspection? :)
01-30-2013 11:24 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2013 11:24 AM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  

Yeah, figuring out how much I hate waking up at 4:45 AM every day took a LOT of introspection... 01-wingedeagle
01-30-2013 12:04 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
(01-30-2013 12:04 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(01-30-2013 11:24 AM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  

Yeah, figuring out how much I hate waking up at 4:45 AM every day took a LOT of introspection... 01-wingedeagle

Man, Im usually still hugging my pillow with a big comfortable smile on my face at that time in the morning, lol.
01-30-2013 12:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.