Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why is there a delay on Tulsa?
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
Why is there a delay on Tulsa?
It seems like several of our additions were added quickly. I think ECU was one, and Tulane came out of nowhere.

Does anyone know why Tulsa is taking some time? Does Tulsa have some "issues" that the others did not? I don't believe Tulsa is hesitating on making a decision, or that they can't get enough votes to get in.

Maybe Tulane just had all of their ducks in a row and they were ready in day or two. That may have been an unusual situation. And the Tulsa add is happening at the same speed that these things normally do.

Or maybe the C7 leaving has complicated the voting process. Is it possible that the only schools that can vote are UConn, Cincinnati, Temple, and USF?

I'm still cautiously optimistic about this conference, but it is somewhat of a cluster right now.
01-27-2013 10:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Why is there a delay on Tulsa?
No need to rush. We really don't need them until 2015

There are more important issues right now.
1. Tv deal for basketball next year.
2. Tv money for new league in 2014
3. Split from C7 deal
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 10:14 AM by Cubanbull.)
01-27-2013 10:12 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
I would guess that we, the C-7, are a big part of the holdup.

Aresco: Hey, just a heads-up, we're going to vote on bringing in Tulsa after you guys leave.
C-7: Sounds great. Do we have that agreement on the name worked out yet?
01-27-2013 10:13 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I wonder if there is no reason to move on Tulsa yet because the conference has time. Another option could be that Cincinnati, UConn, and USF are waiting to see what the Big 12 does this week. Maybe Tulsa wants to see the TV deal first too?
01-27-2013 10:13 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(01-27-2013 10:12 AM)Cubanbull Wrote:  No need to rush. We really don't need them until 2015

This. And I think its debatable that we need Tulsa.
01-27-2013 10:14 AM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
Also, Navy is sounding positive now, but the new contract might not thrill them, so you might not need a #12 if you don't have a #11.
01-27-2013 10:14 AM
Advertisement

TUBballJunkie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
One hypothesis is that we are still negotiating fees.

I imagine it's also difficult to move as quickly simply bc we don't have an AD at the moment...our very capable finance VP and president are handling the duties but they also have a school to run.

We had a board meeting two weeks ago and I'd guess they probably approved a move pending some details. If not well before that.

Just some guesses. Tulsa is extremely tight lipped on everything so we realize reps from other schools probably have more concrete leaked info...
01-27-2013 10:16 AM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(01-27-2013 10:14 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  Also, Navy is sounding positive now, but the new contract might not thrill them, so you might not need a #12 if you don't have a #11.

Good Lord, if Navy doesn't join we're going to start seeing names here like ODU, Charlotte, JMU, Georgia State, Missouri State ....

Overall, it seems like there's several reasons why there's no rush to add Tulsa. And there's not one reason to get it done right now.
01-27-2013 10:30 AM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
I would rather have ODU for the long run. Tulsa is only drawing 20k with all their recent success. ODU has 14k season ticket holders that would explode in the Big East. Umass would also be better.
01-27-2013 10:31 AM
CincyBro Offline
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
My God, what this conference has sunk to.
01-27-2013 10:51 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(01-27-2013 10:13 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  Maybe Tulsa wants to see the TV deal first too?

Ah......no.

Whatever the Big East ends up with will still easily be better vs what Tulsa is stuck with in regards to CUSA (approx $1 Million per year through 2015-2016), let alone the teams that will now make up a majority of the new CUSA like ODU, FAU, North Texas, MTSU, UNCC, FIU, etc....
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 11:50 AM by KnightLight.)
01-27-2013 11:26 AM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(01-27-2013 10:13 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  I would guess that we, the C-7, are a big part of the holdup.

Aresco: Hey, just a heads-up, we're going to vote on bringing in Tulsa after you guys leave.
C-7: Sounds great. Do we have that agreement on the name worked out yet?

The only part of the holdup regarding the C7 is that they are still deciding if they want to pony up some cash to leave early, or if they stick around until 2015 and leave without an exit fee. Nothing else is contractually up for negotiations.

I know you C7 guys believe this will be a splitting of the assets, but it's not. Thats not the holdup. The holdup is waiting for the C7 to decide if they want to bend over and pony up exit fees to leave the conference early, or if they sit tight. Right now they are sitting tight.
01-27-2013 11:31 AM
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
(01-27-2013 10:51 AM)CincyBro Wrote:  My God, what this conference has sunk to.

Hopefully our time here is short 07-coffee3
01-27-2013 11:44 AM
CincyBro Offline
All American

(01-27-2013 11:44 AM)Bearcat_Bounce Wrote:  

Hopefully our time here is short 07-coffee3

One can only hope.03-cloud9
01-27-2013 12:17 PM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS

Sounds like what Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Boston College, the C-7, etc said when UC, UL, USF, DePaul and Marquette were added a few years ago.
01-27-2013 01:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
We don't need Tulsa for a while. Also, Tulsa may want to see how the tv contract negotiations go before making a move that will involve significant expenses.
01-27-2013 01:07 PM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(01-27-2013 10:13 AM)bearcatlawjd Wrote:  I wonder if there is no reason to move on Tulsa yet because the conference has time. Another option could be that Cincinnati, UConn, and USF are waiting to see what the Big 12 does this week. Maybe Tulsa wants to see the TV deal first too?

Maybe reason has broken out that he is no need to add anyone just yet.
01-27-2013 01:19 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
i d guess one reason is the uncertainty about who will be in the conference next tear (2013-14) and the year after. which is probably the hold up with an all sport invite for ecu. once the BE knows when everyone is leaving, they can ask others to join and give them(and the networks) a firm date
01-27-2013 01:37 PM
PEO16 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: all
If we don't need them until 2015, the BE can wait 2 years and see what the landscape looks like. C-USA or the MAC (U Mass) may have developed some other promising candidates by that time. As it is, there's certainly an internal debate within the BE whether to go to the western front or stay east, and time may bring the best answer to that question.

Attack made a good point above that for "mid-majors", interest is mainly tied to winning, most win inconsistently, so the idea is to get teams in major metropolitan areas so that you can capitalize on large numbers when they win. There are some, however, that do win consistently like USM (and they're basically team is really tough). Unfortunately, they didn't last year. Time will tell if that was an anomaly or not. And time might allow them to significantly improve their limited budget. Then you have a school like Marshall that draws fairly well, despite a series of mediocre teams (not bad, but not particularly good). Now, the league will have issues with them academically, which may preclude any real interest. And then U mass, Old Dominion, Charlotte, UTSA, even Ga State.....what if one of them starts winning 9-10 games a year?
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 01:46 PM by PEO16.)
01-27-2013 01:39 PM
CincyBro Offline
All American

(01-27-2013 01:07 PM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  

Sounds like what Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Boston College, the C-7, etc said when UC, UL, USF, DePaul and Marquette were added a few years ago.

Check post #9 before I made post #10. Their talking about adding ODU and UMass for football. I think your post was unwarranted towards me. If talking about ODU and UMass for football is not sinking to the low end right now, you sir are sadly mistaken, aren't you a mod, why are you attacking me and my post.Incidently, I do hope UC,UL and Memphis all end up in the same conf. again.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 02:06 PM by CincyBro.)
01-27-2013 02:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.