Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Question For Any Basketball Gurus
Bookmark and Share
tiger-viper Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
why are our players so focused on backing people out of the lane instead of going for the rebound? shouldn't they be moving towards the ball instead of away from it? i understand the concept of boxing your man out, but shouldn't you make a rebound attempt once the ball leaves the rim? it seems our guys just keep on backing their man out. just curious.
01-26-2013 05:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
RE: Question For Any Basketball Gurus
Adonis froze several times on loose balls. Tarik struggles with this as well.
01-26-2013 05:09 PM
jgardne Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
i thought today the 2-3 times it happened that the culprit was our guards were leaking out for an outlet pass. On the missed ft both jj and ab just vacated the lane before we secured the rebound. on the other play crawford was sprinting up the floor.

watch tony allen for the grizz, he makes sure to go get the board on those plays. We should know we don't have a guy like dorsey who will gobble everything up under the rim
01-26-2013 05:13 PM
GRNMTNTIGER Offline
Tiger Fool

We had some butterfingers today. Looked like the jitters but I don't get it. We should be able to hold on to more balls.
01-26-2013 05:16 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

(01-26-2013 05:09 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Adonis froze several times on loose balls. Tarik struggles with this as well.

Tarik certainly has a problem with this on the defensive rebounding side. He has a habit of allowing the defensive rebound to come to him. When he's up against opponents who are hustling their butts off, like today, he misses out on quite a few easy rebounds by not going after the ball aggressively.
01-26-2013 05:26 PM
JTS Offline
All American

I Root For:
I'll answer it by saying that it's time for our big man coach to move on.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2013 05:30 PM by JTS.)
01-26-2013 05:29 PM
Advertisement

misplaced tiger Offline
1st String

I Root For:
the right way to rebound is to get on a man. most coaches will teach it this way. now once you get your body on a man, you should be going for the ball.
01-26-2013 05:36 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(01-26-2013 05:29 PM)JTS Wrote:  I'll answer it by saying that it's time for our big man coach to move on.

I think Williams has done well working with the bigs on post moves. Not saying you're wrong but I don't put our lack of getting loose balls on the coaches.
01-26-2013 05:55 PM
JTS Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-26-2013 05:55 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  
(01-26-2013 05:29 PM)JTS Wrote:  I'll answer it by saying that it's time for our big man coach to move on.

I think Williams has done well working with the bigs on post moves. Not saying you're wrong but I don't put our lack of getting loose balls on the coaches.

In watching other teams play it appears to me that our big guys lack fundamentals around the basket.
01-26-2013 06:53 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(01-26-2013 06:53 PM)JTS Wrote:  
(01-26-2013 05:55 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

In watching other teams play it appears to me that our big guys lack fundamentals around the basket.

They sure shoot a high percentage to have poor fundamentals.

I think they are just not physical enough in any aspect of the game...that includes our guards
01-26-2013 06:58 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
Didnt someone last year explain the reason Will B. got so many rebounds was because the staff schemed for the bigs to block out so the guards could rebound and run.
01-26-2013 07:01 PM
Advertisement

MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
(01-26-2013 05:02 PM)tiger-viper Wrote:  why are our players so focused on backing people out of the lane instead of going for the rebound? shouldn't they be moving towards the ball instead of away from it? i understand the concept of boxing your man out, but shouldn't you make a rebound attempt once the ball leaves the rim? it seems our guys just keep on backing their man out. just curious.

Yes. First step is seal your man, but then someone has to go get it. DJ is the only one that seems like he "wants" the rebounds sometimes.
01-26-2013 07:03 PM
tigers311 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Truth
(01-26-2013 07:01 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  Didnt someone last year explain the reason Will B. got so many rebounds was because the staff schemed for the bigs to block out so the guards could rebound and run.

I remember hearing something like that
01-26-2013 07:15 PM
Pressed Rat Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Ten gurus and counting; which guru will be the next?
01-26-2013 07:21 PM
Tanyaskees Offline
Hall of Famer

Speaking of BB gurus, did anyone else see this. Is this a new play or what? Tom Herrion was squatting on the sideline like he always does (I was waiting for the fake heart attack, the camera was right on him), instead he proceeded to slap himself on the butt 3 times. Looked like he was trying to call a play. I am still trying to figure out what that play was….did anyone see it? If so, enlighten me please, I must have been too busy laughing at that point to see what happened next. 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
01-26-2013 07:25 PM
BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
(01-26-2013 07:01 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  Didnt someone last year explain the reason Will B. got so many rebounds was because the staff schemed for the bigs to block out so the guards could rebound and run.

Yes, that was the official reason given for Black having so many fewer rebounds than Barton.
01-26-2013 08:56 PM
Advertisement

dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(01-26-2013 08:56 PM)BandwagonJumper Wrote:  

Yes, that was the official reason given for Black having so many fewer rebounds than Barton.

I call BS
01-26-2013 09:05 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: memphis
(01-26-2013 09:05 PM)dan o Wrote:  
(01-26-2013 08:56 PM)BandwagonJumper Wrote:  

I call BS

I do as well, but generally when Tarik is in the game we do better on team rebounding.
01-26-2013 09:08 PM
Chi-TownTiger Offline
Got Stripes?

Donators
(01-26-2013 05:09 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Adonis froze several times on loose balls. Tarik struggles with this as well.

I think somebody is in Adonis' ear. Like lay low until the draft or something. He never seems to be engaged in the game to me. Weird. Either that or he is afraid to get hurt.

You watch his vids from High School and he is so athletic. Now he looks like he can't even jump. I just know something is going on but I can't figure out what it is.
01-26-2013 09:11 PM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(01-26-2013 09:11 PM)Chi-TownTiger Wrote:  

I think somebody is in Adonis' ear. Like lay low until the draft or something. He never seems to be engaged in the game to me. Weird. Either that or he is afraid to get hurt.

You watch his vids from High School and he is so athletic. Now he looks like he can't even jump. I just know something is going on but I can't figure out what it is.

Better be careful with that kind of talk
01-26-2013 09:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.