Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What is the probability of UTA (Texas Arlington) adding football?
Bookmark and Share
FloridaJag Offline
All American

I Root For: USA, FSU, and UWF
Exclamation What is the probability of UTA (Texas Arlington) adding football?
We can't expect UALR to add football anytime soon. It would be great for the SBC if UTA addec football within the next four years. What is the prognosis?
01-22-2013 04:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tuffguy21 Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
RE: What is the probability of UTA (Texas Arlington) adding football?
I don't think UTA has any plans to add football, but I think they would be more able to add football than UALR. UALR is fought tooth and nail by Arkansas to prevent the addition of football, I don't think there would be any such opposition from any of the state schools in Texas. Their only real opposition is themselves. If the administration, boosters, and students back the re-addition of football, I could see it as a positive addition.
01-22-2013 04:23 PM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

(01-22-2013 04:23 PM)Tuffguy21 Wrote:  I don't think UTA has any plans to add football, but I think they would be more able to add football than UALR. UALR is fought tooth and nail by Arkansas to prevent the addition of football, I don't think there would be any such opposition from any of the state schools in Texas. Their only real opposition is themselves. If the administration, boosters, and students back the re-addition of football, I could see it as a positive addition.

It would be great have an SBC game every other weekend in the heart of the Ft. Worth - Dallas metro.

It would be great for Texas State and Arkansas State. I can see ULL prospering from those games as well. I know a ton of Mobilians that live in Dallas. I can see some travel plans in future if UTA adds football.
01-22-2013 04:38 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
UTA had it until the 1980s, then dropped it. The students voted to revive in 2004ish? Ultimately, the President decided that a new basketball arena was in order. Enter the College Park Center.

I'm not sure if they would ever bring it back. The Cowboys are the national team of Texas and UTA is spitting distance from their Stadium. TCU, SMU, and North Texas are within 30 mintues.
01-22-2013 04:41 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(01-22-2013 04:04 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  We can't expect UALR to add football anytime soon. It would be great for the SBC if UTA addec football within the next four years. What is the prognosis?

Would love for UTA to add football; however, right now the odds are Slim and None . .. and Slim just left town . .. . Reports out of Arlington are at least 4-5 years before football were added (if and when a decision to add is made). . . . during this craziness that is realignment, God only knows where any of our schools will be by then . . ..
01-22-2013 04:42 PM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

(01-22-2013 04:42 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(01-22-2013 04:04 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  We can't expect UALR to add football anytime soon. It would be great for the SBC if UTA addec football within the next four years. What is the prognosis?

Would love for UTA to add football; however, right now the odds are Slim and None . .. and Slim just left town . .. . Reports out of Arlington are at least 4-5 years before football were added (if and when a decision to add is made). . . . during this craziness that is realignment, God only knows where any of our schools will be by then . . ..

So I count 2018 as a possibility. Can the SBC survive until then with just adding App State and Ga Southern?
01-22-2013 04:54 PM
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(01-22-2013 04:54 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  

So I count 2018 as a possibility. Can the SBC survive until then with just adding App State and Ga Southern?

the new ad has said that he wanted to get some of the other facilities upgraded first. they have added the 78 mil $ arena and are wrapping up indoor practice facilities for baseball and softball now, so maybe there will be some talk about football before too long..I know that they had figured that they would have to build an athletic bldg. at the stadium first and I have not heard anything about that yet...there would probably be no chance of using jerry world so the stadium would need some work.
01-22-2013 05:09 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Even though its in Texas I'm not interested in another FBS startup.
01-22-2013 05:15 PM
UTAMavalum83 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UT Arlington
(01-22-2013 05:15 PM)slycat Wrote:  Even though its in Texas I'm not interested in another FBS startup.

Well, hey - really appreciate that enthusiastic shout of support slycat.

It wouldn't ever compete in FBS; would likely follow the same path that UTSA is taking (indy, indy, provisional - member). IF it happened. Don't hold your breath (we aren't); yet if we get the right new President, it could happen. Can't think of anything more I'd like to see as an alum. Crazy to sit back and watch your school and T-SA jump up and get so much attention. It just isn't right . . . .
01-22-2013 09:01 PM
Bobcat87 Offline
San Marvelous Cat

I Root For: TXST, A&M, UNT
(01-22-2013 09:01 PM)UTAMavalum83 Wrote:  
(01-22-2013 05:15 PM)slycat Wrote:  Even though its in Texas I'm not interested in another FBS startup.

Well, hey - really appreciate that enthusiastic shout of support slycat.

It wouldn't ever compete in FBS; would likely follow the same path that UTSA is taking (indy, indy, provisional - member). IF it happened. Don't hold your breath (we aren't); yet if we get the right new President, it could happen. Can't think of anything more I'd like to see as an alum. Crazy to sit back and watch your school and T-SA jump up and get so much attention. It just isn't right . . . .

Hey, MavAlum . . Let's watch the throwing around of the "crazy" word.
T-SA getting lots of attention - Crazy! I'm right there with ya.
TX ST getting lots of attention - Crazy .. not so much.
A school the size of UTA without a Football Program, Now that's Crazy . . . Go get a Prez. that'll put a program on the field, then we'll get a real rivalry goin' 04-cheers
01-22-2013 09:44 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
It's not that I have anything against UTA I'm just thinking there are better options. If its done do it right and think it through like UTSA did. Problem is UTSA is in an untapped market and UTA is in a saturated market.
01-22-2013 09:51 PM
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

(01-22-2013 09:51 PM)slycat Wrote:  It's not that I have anything against UTA I'm just thinking there are better options. If its done do it right and think it through like UTSA did. Problem is UTSA is in an untapped market and UTA is in a saturated market.

you are right about that. I used to argue with long time AD bill reeves about upgrading and enlarging facilities and he would say " no need till we sell out the venues we have" to which I would reply that even in an area as populous as the dfw metroplex, very few people would be willing to hop in their car and drive to uta to watch them play any kind of game against a mcneese state or a ne la. etc. now that we have a new arena and can bring in folks like ou, we can draw 7,000 to a basketball game. I think if we added footall we could maybe have a cpl. home hames against maybe texas tech or uh and draw some nice crowds. probably as untexas has proved, only a few would show up for uta vs troy or middle tenn. or schools such as that...
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2013 03:45 PM by runamuck.)
01-23-2013 03:44 PM
untgeorge Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(01-23-2013 03:44 PM)runamuck Wrote:  
(01-22-2013 09:51 PM)slycat Wrote:  It's not that I have anything against UTA I'm just thinking there are better options. If its done do it right and think it through like UTSA did. Problem is UTSA is in an untapped market and UTA is in a saturated market.

you are right about that. I used to argue with long time AD bill reeves about upgrading and enlarging facilities and he would say " no need till we sell out the venues we have" to which I would reply that even in an area as populous as the dfw metroplex, very few people would be willing to hop in their car and drive to uta to watch them play any kind of game against a mcneese state or a ne la. etc. now that we have a new arena and can bring in folks like ou, we can draw 7,000 to a basketball game. I think if we added footall we could maybe have a cpl. home hames against maybe texas tech or uh and draw some nice crowds. probably as untexas has proved, only a few would show up for uta vs troy or middle tenn. or schools such as that...

UTSA did not have to build a stadium. UTA needs $75 mil to $100 mil. Aye, there's the rub.
01-23-2013 06:13 PM
CaliforniaCajun Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisiana
(01-22-2013 05:09 PM)runamuck Wrote:  

the new ad has said that he wanted to get some of the other facilities upgraded first. they have added the 78 mil $ arena and are wrapping up indoor practice facilities for baseball and softball now, so maybe there will be some talk about football before too long..I know that they had figured that they would have to build an athletic bldg. at the stadium first and I have not heard anything about that yet...there would probably be no chance of using jerry world so the stadium would need some work.

UTA built a new stadium before they dropped football. What happened to it?
01-24-2013 01:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UTArlingtonMaverick Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT Arlington
(01-24-2013 01:31 AM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote:  

Built around 1980 and still there. Used by the university's (ranked) track & field team, high schools rent it out, and assorted other rentals and uses. It is in a good state of repair; has not been allowed to fall apart. But, it would need millions of dollars for additions and much updating to bring it up to today's standards. The facilities arms race has continued unabated since football was cancelled. Of course, we'd also need the now-obligatory football athletic training facility for $25 million (or so), too. You never know for sure, but I don't expect football to be added. If we were out in the woods somewhere, maybe. But, we are truly in a saturated market with many, many entertainment options...and it is a winner's market. It is the pro sports, more than anything, that has changed the college dynamic in DFW. Back in the day before pro sports, SMU used fill-up the Cotton Bowl; now, they get a few thousand.
01-24-2013 07:22 AM
Senatobia Offline
2nd String

I Root For: stAte
Back in the day SMU paid better than the Cowboys.
01-24-2013 09:08 AM
Advertisement

FloridaJag Offline
All American

(01-24-2013 09:08 AM)Senatobia Wrote:  Back in the day SMU paid better than the Cowboys.

Tell the Truth! +1
01-24-2013 01:29 PM
FloridaJag Offline
All American

(01-24-2013 07:22 AM)UTArlingtonMaverick Wrote:  
(01-22-2013 04:42 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  Would love for UTA to add football; however, right now the odds are Slim and None . .. and Slim just left town . .. . Reports out of Arlington are at least 4-5 years before football were added (if and when a decision to add is made). . . . during this craziness that is realignment, God only knows where any of our schools will be by then . . ..

Built around 1980 and still there. Used by the university's (ranked) track & field team, high schools rent it out, and assorted other rentals and uses. It is in a good state of repair; has not been allowed to fall apart. But, it would need millions of dollars for additions and much updating to bring it up to today's standards. The facilities arms race has continued unabated since football was cancelled. Of course, we'd also need the now-obligatory football athletic training facility for $25 million (or so), too. You never know for sure, but I don't expect football to be added. If we were out in the woods somewhere, maybe. But, we are truly in a saturated market with many, many entertainment options...and it is a winner's market. It is the pro sports, more than anything, that has changed the college dynamic in DFW. Back in the day before pro sports, SMU used fill-up the Cotton Bowl; now, they get a few thousand.

UTA just has to do what FSU did. Doak Campbell was called the "Erector Set". FSU just started adding about 4 to 5 thousand seats a year. UTA can start adding seats as cash or donations become available.
01-24-2013 01:37 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

(01-24-2013 01:37 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  
(01-24-2013 07:22 AM)UTArlingtonMaverick Wrote:  
(01-22-2013 04:54 PM)FloridaJag Wrote:  So I count 2018 as a possibility. Can the SBC survive until then with just adding App State and Ga Southern?

UTA just has to do what FSU did. Doak Campbell was called the "Erector Set". FSU just started adding about 4 to 5 thousand seats a year. UTA can start adding seats as cash or donations become available.

I bought 4 seats when uta built that stadium. It is not too bad and could be updated to easily equal some of the other stadiums in the belt. the west side is all concrete with a good multi-level press box and there is a large block of arm chair seats down the center..the ones us maverick club members bought. it may hold about 14,000. a couple of years ago they put down a top of the line playing surface. we would need to build the athletic complex building down at the south end but the school has shown that when they decide to build something it is usually first class. the kiss of death would be and was once before, playing off campus at say jerry world, but that place would draw large crowds for anyone who plays there. I think the big holdup would be that the school would have to add 2 women's sports at the same time.
01-24-2013 04:57 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
I would say it is 30/70 in the next 5 years with the 30 being adding football the 70 not

there is a pretty big need for a stadium renovation and then the needed womens sports

the one way I could see it happening is if Jerry decided to move the Cowboys training facility from Valley Ranch to Arlington and part of the deal was a practice field that happened to seat 30-35K and the City of Arlington would probably have to kick in some cash as well

for that to happen real estate would have to probably go up significantly and then Jerry could cash in turning the Valley Ranch land into homes

what is the status of getting a president for UTA?

I see on their website they have added a pretty detailed donations page that appears to be a gear up for a full fledged capital campaign and I think that is part of why Spaniolo stepped down I don't think he wanted to be there for the 5 or 6 years a campaign would run and he realized that a change at the top during a major campaign is not a good idea

as of now UTSA, UTEP, UTD, Texas Tech, UH, and TxState are all in the middle of or nearing the end of very successful capital campaigns (well actually UH is kind of gearing up for one that was announced as 1 billion and 1 dollar as the goal, but the news from then on has been not much)

Tech is nearing the end of 1 billion, UTEP is 250 million I believe as is UTD, UTSA is 100 million and they are killing that and have already upped the goal, TxState was 100 million and they are over that by 20% and still have some time left

so that leaves north Texas state and UTA as the only emerging research universities in Texas without an ongoing capital campaign......there was rumors that north Texas state would announce one in Sept, but as usual they failed to meet their deadline and also their hot shot 6 figure fund raiser bill lively that was hired as lee the idiot jacksons hand picked butt buddy had promised to stay at least a year and up to 3 years to get things going and he resigned after less than 9 months about months back....so major fail there as well and probably why the Sept big announce came and went

so really if UTA can get a president in the next 3 months and start working on something right away they can probably get theirs going before north Texas state gets off the pot

also the UT System a couple of years back had a major initiative to leverage what was learned from UT Austin about fundraising and then transfer that knowledge to the other system components and start setting similar goals for them and it looks that that is in action with UTEP, UTD and UTSA
01-25-2013 12:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.