I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Syracuse basketball rallies past Cincinnati in wild finish
[Image: logo_v001.png]

Syracuse basketball rallies past Cincinnati in wild finish
By Mike Waters | mwaters@syracuse.com
on January 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM

[Image: 12150538-large.jpg]
Syracuse's Michael Carter-Willkiams get tied up in the lane by Cincinnati's Jermaine Sanders and Ge'Lawn Guyn in first half action at the Carrier Dome. Denis Nett/syracuse.com

Just two days after making several critical plays to beat then-No. 1 Louisville on the road, the Syracuse Orange came through in the clutch again to rally past No. 21 Cincinnati in front of 24,281 fans at the Carrier Dome on Monday.

The Orange rallied from a 51-44 deficit to stun the Bearcats 57-55, outscoring Cincinnati 13-4 in the final five minutes.

C.J. Fair made what turned out to be the game-winning basket as he tipped in a Jerami Grant miss with 19 seconds remaining.

Syracuse trailed 49-42 with 5:44 left in the game, but pulled to within 51-48 on back-to-back shots from Brandon Triche. However, Cincinnati’s JaQuon Parker hit a huge 3-pointer to give the Bearcats a 6-point margin.

Michael Carter-Williams tied the game at 55 on a 3-pointer from the top of the key with 1:19 left in the game. Carter-Williams scored 14 of his team-high 16 points in the second half.

After Carter-Williams tied the game, Cincinnati’s Cashmere Wright missed a 3-pointer, but Cheikh Mbodj out-fought the Orange for the rebound. Wright dribbled into the lane, but lost the ball. Fair came up with the steal with 43 seconds left.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim called timeout with 39.2 seconds on the game clock and 31 on the shot clock.

Grant drove down the lane, but missed. As two Cincinnati players went up for the rebound, Fair came flying in and tipped the ball back toward the basket. It went in, giving Syracuse a 57-55 lead. It was Syracuse’s first lead since 24-22 just three minutes into the second half.

Cincinnati still had plenty of time to tie or win the game. But Wright’s 3-pointer from the top of the key rimmed out with 4 seconds on the clock. Cincinnati eventually sent Triche to the line with 2.5 seconds left, but he missed the front end of the one-and-one.
However, Parker’s desperation shot from midcourt came after the final buzzer.

Fair and Triche both scored 13 points for Syracuse (18-1 overall, 6-0 Big East).

Cincinnati was led by Sean Kilpatrick, who had 21 points. He made six 3-pointers.

Syracuse’s rally preserved the nation’s longest homecourt win streak. Syracuse has now won 35 consecutive games at the Carrier Dome.

Syracuse won for the third straight time without senior forward James Southerland, who missed his third straight game after being declared ineligible prior to the Orange’s game against Villanova on Jan. 12. Syracuse had beaten Villanova and Louisville without Southerland.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball...cart_river

01-21-2013 06:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
RE: Syracuse basketball rallies past Cincinnati in wild finish
[Image: logo_syracuse.gif]

Fair, No. 3 Syracuse edges No. 21 Cincinnati 57-55

By JOHN KEKIS
AP Sports Writer

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) C.J. Fair tipped in the go-ahead basket with 19.4 seconds left and No. 3 Syracuse rallied past No. 21 Cincinnati 57-55 on Monday.

Trailing by seven with just over 5 minutes left, Syracuse tied it at 55 on Michael Carter-Williams' 3-pointer from the top of the key with 80 seconds left.

Fair's tip came after Jerami Grant drove the lane and missed. Cincinnati's Cashmere Wright missed a 3 from straight on with 2.9 seconds left and the Orange had their 35th straight win at home, the longest active streak in Division I.

The Orange outscored the Bearcats 13-4 in the final minutes. Fair finished with 13 points.

Syracuse (18-1, 6-0 Big East) was coming off a 70-68 win at Louisville on Saturday that knocked the Cardinals out of the No. 1 spot in the nation. The Orange, tied for third in the rankings with Kansas, are the only Big East team with an unblemished conference record.

Syracuse is 28-1 in regular-season play in the Big East in the past two years, that lone loss coming at Notre Dame exactly one year ago Monday.

The Bearcats (16-4, 4-3 Big East) had won three in a row. They lost on the road for the first time in eight games.

Carter-Williams had 16 points and seven assists and Brandon Triche had 13 points for the Orange.

Wright, who sprained his right knee Tuesday in a win over DePaul and did not play in Cincinnati's overtime victory against Marquette on Saturday, finished with five points on 2-for-13 shooting. He was 1 of 8 on 3s.

Sean Kilpatrick led Cincinnati with 21 points and JaQuon Parker had 11.

Syracuse's James Southerland, tied for second on the team in scoring at 13.6 points per game, missed his third straight game because of an eligibility issue. He was in street clothes on the bench.

Cincinnati played the shot-clock game with its deliberate half-court approach and kept the game close despite a poor shooting performance in the opening half.

Trailing by just a basket at the break, the Bearcats started the second with a 12-2 spurt keyed by consecutive 3-pointers from Parker when he was left unguarded in the right corner.

A high-arcing 3 by Kilpatrick was the fourth make in five tries from long range for the Bearcats and gave them a 36-29 lead with 13:46 left.

Carter-Williams responded with seven straight points, his 3 from the top of the key making it 36-all midway through the half.

Undaunted, the Bearcats kept charging, and Kilpatrick's sixth 3-pointer of the game and a layup by Cheikh Mbodj completed an 11-4 spurt that gave them a 49-42 lead with 5:44 left.

Triche, whose helped boost Syracuse at Louisville, then hit two straight jumpers and fed Grant for a slam dunk to draw the Orange within 54-50 with 3:17 left.

http://stats.syracuse.com/cbk/recap.asp?...final=true

01-21-2013 07:05 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
COMMENTS

Ed61orange
The Orange were lucky to steal one today. Was interested to see how JB's words on centers needing to play better would be put into action. It went as expected. Question uis: how can the centers play better if they never touch the ball. Sure they can play defense or get a rebound (maybe), but they need to be more a part of the offense.
6 Minutes Ago

Pinkpanther6
Never in doubt Cuse fans!!!!
10 Minutes Ago

orangebull
wow...the CUSE gods were in the dome today....incredible to think they made those last 4 "must" shots to stay in it, as jb said "the game was over if one of them don't go in"......

cinci has to be slapping themselves stupid after giving that one away....lost some of that confidence i had from the lville game, but it doesn't get much more exciting than that!!!

come on bigs, get some "O", would you please.......man this team stresses me.......................................................GO CUSE!!!
24 Minutes Ago

orangebull
man......bt is one tough guard the way he can penetrate and score with great body control...that is impressive to see!!
26 Minutes Ago

Cousin of Caligula
MCW hasn't had things this easy since he walked in to Lord and Taylor's.
29 Minutes Ago

OJkillz
Finishing 13-4 to clip a tough Cincy unit is big brass....
balls.

Welcome back, MC Dubz. Where ya been?
32 Minutes Ago

SeattleOrange
SO happy we don't have to hear MCW bashers talking out of their holes anymore. Tonight he proved once again he's one of the top pointguards in the country. He's a sophomore who is learning on the fly and making HUGE plays for his team. That deep 3 at the end and that monster dunk were $$$$$. Love that kid...and his confidence is only growing.
kansacuse likes this.
39 Minutes Ago

brod44
The bashers only compliment Triche and will never enjoy how good this kid really is.
25 Minutes Ago

papatee
They got POUNDED on the boards. Very lucky to win this one.
Cousin of Caligula likes this.
39 Minutes Ago

raybob
Def. boards Yes, offensive boards.....No. Pound on it Papa! 35 straight games straight at home. Do me a favor and don't tune in next game!
32 Minutes Ago

ESF1985
After an emotional win on the road not surprised that this was a tough game against a very solid, well coached team. A win is a win and hopefully some things learned.
44 Minutes Ago

northcarcuse
yes, always better learning from a win, than a loss.
26 Minutes Ago

BlazeOrange
Sure beats losing 87-70 as was predicted here earlier by someone.
SeattleOrange likes this.
47 Minutes Ago

SeattleOrange
The trolls are back in their sleeping bags picking their holes again...they've got nothin' say today. Great weekend to be a CUSE FAN!!!
37 Minutes Ago

jimromeclone
What an ugly win. I didn't think we had it or even deserved it, but I'll take it.

We've got to find a way to got our bigs (Rak, DJC, BMK) involved offensively. These guys need some sets drawn up to get easy baskets. Only 4 shots and 2 points from those three will not get it done deep into the tournament. I'd kill to have a Rick Jackson or Arinze Onuaku on this team!
50 Minutes Ago

kansacuse
That was a very good Cincinnati team. The showed a tough zone and it wasn't pretty on their end also. What was nice was our guards running ice water on their shooting. Appreciate the win!
38 Minutes Ago

kingkenyan2
The espn guys thought that final foul with 2.5 seconds remaining, should have been a two shot foul - intentional, so obvious stevie wonder would have seen it.
I am ready to watch some blowouts. These games are killers...
52 Minutes Ago

northcarcuse
should have been intentional. Ridiculous no call by the ref. The Cincy player grabbed his shirt without the ball. Also the clock operator at the dome needs to wake up. Brandon shot the first foul with 2.5 seconds on the clock. After the rebound there was 2.4 seconds.
47 Minutes Ago

brod44
JB played the right combos for another win. Again it was MCW, with Fair making the one big play, and the others contributing. Triche, who made some good shots late, could have iced it but he choked and Jimmy was not happy. Grant keeps showing us he wants the ball and plays defense.
56 Minutes Ago

jimdoglk27
When will you jerks realize that BT is the heart of the team and its best player. Your constant negative comments do not help his confidence.
ESF1985 likes this.
53 Minutes Ago

jimromeclone
CJ Fair is our best player. I'd prefer both CJ and BT to be more vocal, but it's not in their personalities unfortunately.
kansacuse likes this.
47 Minutes Ago

ESF1985
Agree. Also noticed that Trevor Cooney was giving it everything he had on D. Looked at the box and saw he had 4 steals.
kansacuse likes this.
47 Minutes Ago

SeattleOrange
WCW mades some MONSTER shots today!! MCW is hitting on all cylinders...
43 Minutes Ago

kansacuse
LOTTERY PICK
33 Minutes Ago

malomar
Another gutsy win by turning up the defensive pressure at the end of the game. Winning ugly against what are probably the two best defensive teams in the BE after SU, says a lot about the heart of this team. Hopefully there is no let down as we go on the road. Nova gave us a battle the first game in the Dome so I expect another close one on the road. This team is still looking for that instant offense that Southerland gave us but Grant & Cooney are looking better each game.
Keita played with a lot of hustle today but I think Rak is our best center. I think he is still struggling learning to play the PF position and gets frustrated switching between the two positions.
kansacuse likes this.
1 Hour Ago

jimdoglk27
I know crap about BB but it makes me feel good that you know less. Rak didn't deserve to be out there.
55 Minutes Ago

kansacuse
Why do you have to down someone elses post? Just make your point and stop trying to make yourself look better than the troll you seem to be!
29 Minutes Ago

hughmcpeck
As a number 1fan of the Cuse. and that i live in nc , the Cuse was in the the house again lol , its a heart attack watching these last two games ,,,,but it seem at the last min or two they pull it off ,,,,, that to me is great coaching and playing ball ,,,, the boys from syracuse are the best ,,, now i might have the police comeing to my house from screaming to loud !! but its ok like i told them before !! I was watching the the orange game !!!! ;]
raybob and kansacuse like this.
1 Hour Ago

SU_Hoopfan
Good job guys. Please work on boxing out for the defensive rebounds. Also, Christmas's dunk from under the back board was awesome! More of those please.

Cuse better mop the floor with Nova in their next game. No need to let that one be close.
raybob and kansacuse like this.
1 Hour Ago

BlazeOrange
Much harder to locate people when playing zone. The Bearcats were heaving up such bricks that they were getting rebounds 10-15 feet from the hoop. Syracuse is never a great rebounding team but today was a total anomaly. I've never seen a team make so many 3s while missing so badly on so many other shots from behind the arc.

Today was a good win. Having to play Cincy two days after playing at L-Ville is as tough as it gets in the Big East.
raybob and SeattleOrange like this.
49 Minutes Ago

CuseFever
Dude, after the win in Louisville Saturday and the nail biter tonight. I am ready for some blowouts!! I don't think my heart can take to much more of this!! Glad for the win, they looked a little tired, but had enough in the tank to pull out the victory!!! My boy Brandon is ice cold with the jumper and Michael Carter Williams is getting better each game!! Go Cuse!
raybob, hughmcpeck and ESF1985 like this.
1 Hour Ago

ESF1985
Was just thinking the same things.
1 Hour Ago

Orangegypsy
I second that! A little less suspense, please!
1 Hour Ago

northcarcuse
Cuse had no business winning this game. Cincy was hot in second half, and kept scoring off the offensive glass, the entire game. We got very little from our bigs (something that has to improve fast). But Cuse pulled it out somehow; a combination of Boeheim tweaking the lineup the whole game to find some combination that would work, and a dose of MCW clutch play (again) near the end. I've watched Cuse since 1981, and have seen them pull out dozens of wins when it seemed there was no way they could win. Credit to JB.
1 Hour Ago
View more items

OJkillz
They who live by the threes....
30 Minutes Ago

hfstern
As Coach B. says we are in trouble, With these centers they were lucky to win the last two games. Wake up Coleman. Do you know how good you can be?
17 Minutes Ago

usavet
"So Sorry Ciny!". Way to go Cuse!!. You can be proud of yourself's, and rightly so!!!
1 Hour Ago
Syracusified
yourselves
1 Hour Ago
usavet
(thanks Ma)
1 Hour Ago

01-21-2013 07:14 PM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
[Image: logo_v001.png]

Poliquin: The Syracuse basketball team grits out another victory
By Bud Poliquin, Post-Standard columnist
on January 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM, updated January 21, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Print

[Image: 12151276-large.jpg]
Early in the second half, Syracuse's Brandon Trich drives the lane on Cincinnati's Cheikh Mbodj and Jaquon Parker .Dennis Nett/syracuse.com

Syracuse, N.Y. -- For a half, anyway, on Monday afternoon all those who’d feared a double hangover was in the making were looking like prophets.

The undermanned Syracuse Orange, remember, was coming off that big win in Louisville where No. 1 had fallen; the upstart Cincinnati Bearcats, on the other hand, had survived in overtime against No. 25 Marquette. And both squads – triumphant on Saturday, but only after having paid a toll – had just hours, really, to regain their emotional footing before meeting in the Carrier Dome.

Good luck with that, right? And 20 slogging minutes into the affair (during which a mere 15 of a combined 53 field-goal attempts found the net), there was none of it. Good luck, that is.

“This,” said a courtside wag during Monday’s break, “ain’t exactly Louisville.”

And then . . . it was.

And in the end, after a 22-18 first-half trudge gave way to a 37-35 session following the intermission . . . after SU had stared without blinking at a 49-42 deficit with less than five minutes to play . . . after Brandon Triche and Michael Carter-Williams, who’d score 51% of their side’s points, had again taken over from their spots in the Syracuse backcourt . . . after the Bearcats’ Cashmere Wright missed a dead-on three-pointer with 2.9 seconds on the clock that would have sealed an upset . . . after the Orange had claimed a 57-55 victory . . . well, after all of that, there were few in the holiday house of 24,281 who’d recalled anything about any early-game baggage.

Emotional, physical or otherwise.

Sure, that wasn’t really Syracuse-Louisville. But it ended up being pretty close. And take a gander at the Orange now -- 18-1, ranked 4th in the nation, riding a 35-game winning streak at home and looking as gritty as fistful of fresh sandpaper.

Hangover? We should all perform in such a fashion on the day (or two) after.

“This was definitely tough,” admitted Carter-Williams, the sophomore whose numbers (16 points and seven assists) were again big. “We were banged up and sore. To come back, and a game later beat Cincinnati? It’s just a great feeling. We were a little fatigued out there. Now we have chance to get a little rest and get back to being ourselves.”

The question, of course, is what would that be?

For anybody knows, there might not be another James Southerland sighting beyond the one seen again on Monday of the senior forward sitting in civilian togs on the SU bench. Meanwhile, Syracuse's three-headed big man – Rakeem Christmas/Rakeem Christmas/Baye Moussa Keita, who produced all of five points and five rebounds against Cincinnati – is still being formed out there in the Orange ether.

So, beyond the rocks of Triche and Carter-Williams and C.J. Fair, “ourselves” is still in need of definition.

This, though, is not: The Orange, which Jim Boeheim insisted early Monday evening could have/should have lost three of its last four contests, keeps finding a way. Not to lose, that is.

Hangover or not.

(Bud Poliquin’s "To The Point" observations and columns appear virtually every day on syracuse.com. His work can also be regularly found on the pages of The Post-Standard newspaper. Additionally, Poliquin can be heard weekday mornings between 10 a.m.-12 noon on the sports-talk radio show, "Bud & The Manchild," on The Score 1260-AM. Poliquin can be reached at bpoliquin@syracuse.com.)

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.s...cart_river

01-21-2013 07:19 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
UC Bearcats lose nailbiter at Syracuse, 57-55
Orange extend longest win streak in Division I

Jan. 21, 2013 7:37 PM,

[Image: bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=ab&D...p;amp;q=60]
Bearcats guard Sean Kilpatrick drives to the basket against Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams during the second half of the Orange's 57-55 win Monday at the Carrier Dome.

Written by
Bill Koch

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Call it a batted ball that happened to go in the basket, as University of Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin did. Or a freak rebound, which is how senior guard JaQuon Parker described it.

By whatever name, C.J. Fair’s tip-in with 19 seconds left was the devastating blow that lifted Syracuse to a come-from-behind 57-55 victory over the Bearcats on Monday afternoon before 24,281 fans at the Carrier Dome.

Fair’s tip-in of Jerami Grant’s missed shot with the score tied at 55-55 allowed the Orange to extend the longest home winning streak in the nation to 35 games and left the UC players shaking their heads.

“We tipped it and then he tipped it,” said UC guard Sean Kilpatrick, who led the Bearcats with 21 points. “We thought it was at least going to go in the air like every other ordinary rebound would. Instead, it just rolled in.”

Cronin said he looked at the video immediately after the game and saw three players get a hand on the ball – two from UC, plus Fair. One of those UC players was Cheikh Mbodj.

“I was trying to hit it away from him,” Mbodj said. “We both hit it at the same time.”

Fair was happy to take credit for the game-winner, no matter how it happened. “I tipped that in,” Fair said. “I did have help. But I think I was the last person that touched it. I’ll take it. Even if I didn’t, I’ll take the win.”

The Bearcats still had a chance to prevail in after Fair’s tip-in, but Cashmere Wright’s 3-point shot from the top of the key rolled off the rim with three seconds left.

After Wright’s missed shot, the Bearcats fouled Brandon Triche, who missed the front end of the one-and-one with 2.5 seconds to play. Following a UC timeout, Titus Rubles threw the ball inbounds from under the Syracuse basket to Parker, who launched a shot from just across mid-court, but it wasn’t close.

Before the game UC (16-4, 4-3) learned that it had jumped back into the AP Top 25 at No. 21 after a one-week absence. No. 3 Syracuse (18-1, 6-0) won its eighth straight game.

Michael Carter-Williams led Syracuse with 16 points. It was his 3-point basket that tied the score at 55-55 with 1:21 left.

Wright returned to the lineup after missing Saturday’s Marquette game with a sprained right knee. He played 29 minutes and scored five points on 2-of-13 shooting. He was not available to talk to reporters after the game.

UC was on the verge of a huge upset when it led, 51-44, with 5:08 left, but was outscored 13-4, the rest of the game, going 1-for-6 from the field during that span with two turnovers.

The Bearcats nearly pulled off the upset despite going 9:54 in the first half without scoring. They shot 20.7 percent in the half and scored a season-low 18 points, but trailed only 22-18 at intermission.

UC came out firing in the second half, outscoring the Orange, 15-4, to take a 33-26 lead. The Bearcats’ zone defense held Syracuse 23 points below its league-leading offensive average, out-rebounded the Orange, 38-28, and led for all but 2:48 of the second half. Syracuse had only eight offensive rebounds, but one of them was the difference in the game.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim, whose team knocked off No. 1 Louisville on Saturday, said the Orange were fortunate to win.

“We should’ve lost both these games,” Boeheim said. “That’s why Rick (Pitino) was so upset the other day. There was almost no way on earth that Louisville should have lost that game on Saturday. And there was less of a chance for Cincinnati to lose this game. They had it. The game was over.”

Cronin didn’t disagree.

“I wish he could call the Big East and see if he could give us the ‘W,” Cronin said. They out-executed us down the stretch. You’ve got to give their kids credit. They never quit. They kept playing. We weren’t able to get the defense stops that they were able to get. That’s what it boiled down to.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130...r-Syracuse

01-21-2013 09:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.