Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Good thing NY is running surpluses...
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
Good thing NY is running surpluses...
http://troyrecord.com/articles/2013/01/2...=fullstory

Quote:Legislation to provide financial aid and other assistance to college-bound illegal immigrants is gaining political support in New York a year after the idea withered in Albany and Washington.

The Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act is being pushed by powerful Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver. Now, fellow Democrat Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the Republicans who share control of the state Senate are interested in discussing the bill.

Known as the Dream Act, the bill would provide a way to help poor immigrant families afford college through the state Tuition Assistance Plan and academic assistance programs. It would also create a commission to raise money for scholarships.

"Our immigrant families, like many struggling in these trying economic times, need financial help to achieve their educational goals," said Silver. "Investing in these inspiring students represents an investment in our future."
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2013 01:18 AM by Bull_In_Exile.)
01-21-2013 03:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Good think NY is running surpluses...
I'm glad it's in your state and not mine. Maybe they'll erect as sign at the state border something like "ALL ILLEGALS - COME LIVE HERE AND GET LOTS OF FREE STUFF!!"
01-21-2013 08:41 PM
Jugnaut Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(01-21-2013 03:42 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  http://troyrecord.com/articles/2013/01/2...=fullstory

Quote:Legislation to provide financial aid and other assistance to college-bound illegal immigrants is gaining political support in New York a year after the idea withered in Albany and Washington.

The Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act is being pushed by powerful Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver. Now, fellow Democrat Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the Republicans who share control of the state Senate are interested in discussing the bill.

Known as the Dream Act, the bill would provide a way to help poor immigrant families afford college through the state Tuition Assistance Plan and academic assistance programs. It would also create a commission to raise money for scholarships.

"Our immigrant families, like many struggling in these trying economic times, need financial help to achieve their educational goals," said Silver. "Investing in these inspiring students represents an investment in our future."

NY is investing in its future insolvency/bankruptcy with this act.
01-21-2013 08:49 PM
Advertisement

smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
How does this invest in NY's future? It just attracts more illegals and many of the ones that get educated and are worth a damn go back home.
01-21-2013 09:39 PM
OhioBobcatJohn Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio
Cuomo 2016.......buying votes with taxpayer money. I think with guy is the next Democrat pretty by. Famous family. Has Clinton and other power brokers from the state. Wall street likely in his pocket too. If you think Obama raised taxes. The Cuomo's never saw a tax they didn't like to raise 100%.
01-22-2013 12:55 AM
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
(01-21-2013 03:42 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  http://troyrecord.com/articles/2013/01/2...=fullstory

It is also a "good thing".
01-22-2013 01:14 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(01-21-2013 08:41 PM)Crebman Wrote:  I'm glad it's in your state and not mine. Maybe they'll erect as sign at the state border something like "ALL ILLEGALS - COME LIVE HERE AND GET LOTS OF FREE STUFF!!"
He lives in Minnesota.
01-22-2013 01:16 AM
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(01-22-2013 12:55 AM)OhioBobcatJohn Wrote:  Cuomo 2016.......buying votes with taxpayer money.
Can you blame him? He looks at the Democrats' track record and thinks "Worked for Bubba and O, why not me?"

Quote:I think with guy is the next Democrat pretty boy.
Have you seen his picture?

Quote:Famous family. Has Clinton and other power brokers from the state. Wall street likely in his pocket too. If you think Obama raised taxes. The Cuomo's never saw a tax they didn't like to raise 100%.
Andrew Cuomo is definitely an across-the-board big-government liberal who believes in high levels of taxation and spending. But -- compared with other Blue-state Democrats -- he's actually more realistic than most, and compared to most other New York Democrats in particular, he's practically the reincarnation of Adam Smith. I think he really does "get", at some level, that New York's industrial/economic decline over the past 50 years has something to do with state fiscal policy. I don't think he's quite sure of what should be the next step in that process, but at least the dim awareness that there is a problem puts him ahead of his own father and most other liberal-Democrats of the post-'60s era.
01-22-2013 01:25 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
RE: Good thing NY is running surpluses...
Ill agree with you there.

He does seem to be the first democratic politician of note in New York who has not just said "All is well, tax some more and it will all be ok" since Daniel Patrick Moynihan and he was a rare bird in his day.
01-22-2013 02:08 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

RE: Good thing NY is running surpluses...
Hey Bull, can you please take my name off your ignore list in your sig since you don't actually have me on ignore? THanks.
01-22-2013 11:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.