Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

In defense of Wolo.
Bookmark and Share
olegus Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
In defense of Wolo.
Sports broadcasters as a group do not appeaer to me to be the most literate members of society. There are exceptions of course. I will back up this statement with pointing out things you hear during every game and will hear again and then let you be the judge.
first basketball. Team B has the ball and trails by 2. The announcer says" team B can tie the game or take the lead with a 3. Really? Wow that is brilliant. Most of us didn't know that. If you can't think of anything besides that to say just be quiet.
next . The two possesssion game. Team A leads by 3 and hits a free throw. the commentator says , It is now a 2 possession game. No it is not. Team B could take the lead in 2 possessions but they must score on those two possessions and Team A must be prevented from scoring.or team B has the ball trailing by 6. The announcer says " It is still a two possession game" The fact he has no idea how many possessions team B will need to tie. They might tie in two possessions but most likely they won't any in any event most of us viewing already know how to keep score and don't need to be told that.
Time is expired Team B is trailing by 2 and Hot Shot Jones is at the line with 3 free throws. Without a doubt the announcer will say. " Jones needs to hit 2 to tie or 3 to win. Damn !!! no kidding , I didn't know that. There are other examples but I will move to football.
same thing on the 2 posssession game. at least half of fans watching a pro or college game know that 8 points is max that a team can score on one possession and if one team had more than an 8 point lead the other team needs at least 2 possessions to take the lead or tie or whatever but that certainly does not mean that they will. The announcer has no idea how many possessions they will need. No need to state the obvious. or one team trails by 4 late in the game like less than a minute and they are driving. The commentator says . They have got to score a touchdown, a field goal does them no good". OMG you mean there are no 4 point field goals.??? there are many other examples but I will end with my all time favorite if anyone is still readiing. That is making singular things plural. I cringe when I hear an anouncer talking speak of " the Alabamas" or the Floridas" etc. Are there other Alabamas that I don't know about and no not UAB or Huntsville , they don't count. Same for any sport, Most of them do it or at least a goodly portion of them do, Worst of all however in my opinion is to say" A Tiger Woods" or " A Michael Jordan". There may be others who share the same name but there is only one Tiger and one Michael. There can never be more.
Just saying that Wolo isn't the only one who makes statements that are less than brilliant. It seems to just go with the job.
I write this here as my wife will no longer let me talk about this at home, During the broadcasts I just bite my tounge and move on.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2013 11:09 AM by olegus.)
01-21-2013 11:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

djfanintn Offline
All American

RE: In defense of Wolo.
paragraphs .... just hit enter
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2013 11:09 AM by djfanintn.)
01-21-2013 11:08 AM
olegus Offline
1st String

(01-21-2013 11:08 AM)djfanintn Wrote:  paragraphs .... just hit enter

Damn, I spend half an hour writting this and the comment is about paragraphs . LOL thanks
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2013 11:14 AM by olegus.)
01-21-2013 11:12 AM
TigerLogic Offline
@MarionTiger

I Root For: The Gringo
I get your point. I wish Wolo was only limited to those types of errors. I don't dislike the man, just not a big fan, really. Honestly, he doesn't seem to care whether he is liked or not.
01-21-2013 11:16 AM
Irish Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tigers
Wolo is ill-prepared. Most of the folks you talk about are very well prepared. We are talking apples and oranges.
01-21-2013 11:22 AM
TigerLogic Offline
@MarionTiger

I Root For: The Gringo
(01-21-2013 11:22 AM)Irish Wrote:  Wolo is ill-prepared. Most of the folks you talk about are very well prepared. We are talking apples and oranges.

I agree, and that is part of what I meant by he doesn't care. I don't see much effort from Wolo. Listeners have complained about things for years, but he won't change. He's milking it...
01-21-2013 11:31 AM
Advertisement

83msu Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS!
I heard an SEC announcer say playing nylon song after a made basket. I almost upchucked.
01-21-2013 11:55 AM
4Blue Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: hometown
Wolo is not the best but he is far from the worst. I am heard much worse from some of the other area schools. The Ole Miss Announcer sounds like the high school football announcers you hear on AM.
01-21-2013 12:21 PM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(01-21-2013 11:12 AM)olegus Wrote:  

Damn, I spend half an hour writting this and the comment is about paragraphs . LOL thanks

I laughed from the first sentence on, olegus. Good comments.
01-21-2013 12:34 PM
MGR Offline
1st String

Olegus,very funny stuff.

I still don't agree about Wolo though.

For instance, I remember Big Jack once while calling a football game said a certain receiver was in motion...and Jarvis had to tell him that he was actually running off the field.

With Jack I found that adoreable. Wolo just makes me nauseated.
01-21-2013 12:41 PM
TigerSeth Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
In defense of my eyes

Sports broadcasters as a group do not appeaer to me to be the most literate members of society. There are exceptions of course. I will back up this statement with pointing out things you hear during every game and will hear again and then let you be the judge.
first basketball. Team B has the ball and trails by 2. The announcer says" team B can tie the game or take the lead with a 3. Really?

Wow that is brilliant. Most of us didn't know that. If you can't think of anything besides that to say just be quiet.

next . The two possesssion game. Team A leads by 3 and hits a free throw. the commentator says , It is now a 2 possession game. No it is not. Team B could take the lead in 2 possessions but they must score on those two possessions and Team A must be prevented from scoring.or team B has the ball trailing by 6. The announcer says " It is still a two possession game" The fact he has no idea how many possessions team B will need to tie.

They might tie in two possessions but most likely they won't any in any event most of us viewing already know how to keep score and don't need to be told that.
Time is expired Team B is trailing by 2 and Hot Shot Jones is at the line with 3 free throws. Without a doubt the announcer will say. " Jones needs to hit 2 to tie or 3 to win. Damn !!! no kidding , I didn't know that. There are other examples but I will move to football.

same thing on the 2 posssession game. at least half of fans watching a pro or college game know that 8 points is max that a team can score on one possession and if one team had more than an 8 point lead the other team needs at least 2 possessions to take the lead or tie or whatever but that certainly does not mean that they will.

The announcer has no idea how many possessions they will need. No need to state the obvious. or one team trails by 4 late in the game like less than a minute and they are driving. The commentator says . They have got to score a touchdown, a field goal does them no good". OMG you mean there are no 4 point field goals.??? there are many other examples but I will end with my all time favorite if anyone is still readiing.

That is making singular things plural. I cringe when I hear an anouncer talking speak of " the Alabamas" or the Floridas" etc. Are there other Alabamas that I don't know about and no not UAB or Huntsville , they don't count. Same for any sport, Most of them do it or at least a goodly portion of them do, Worst of all however in my opinion is to say" A Tiger Woods" or " A Michael Jordan". There may be others who share the same name but there is only one Tiger and one Michael. There can never be more.

Just saying that Wolo isn't the only one who makes statements that are less than brilliant. It seems to just go with the job.
I write this here as my wife will no longer let me talk about this at home, During the broadcasts I just bite my tounge and move on.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2013 12:45 PM by TigerSeth.)
01-21-2013 12:44 PM
Advertisement

jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM--------NEVER MEMPHIS OR TIGERS---------JUST-------UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
01-21-2013 06:04 PM
memtigbb Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-21-2013 12:21 PM)4Blue Wrote:  Wolo is not the best but he is far from the worst. I am heard much worse from some of the other area schools. The Ole Miss Announcer sounds like the high school football announcers you hear on AM.

I agree completely. I have heard some terrible, terrible announcers.

Now the issue is, usually you hear the really bad announcers at programs that really dont care, or dont have money for that particular program. Yes the Rice basketball announcer is really bad, worse than Wolo. That doesnt mean anything to me, I dont want to compare to Rice in basketball. I dont want to set a bar at, "well atleast we are better than Rice".

We are supposed to be a first class basketball program. We certainly have a city that rallies for the Tigers. We should have a broadcaster, the FACE of the program actually someone you want to listen to.

A lot of you dont remember the years when people turned down their tv sets so they could listen to the radio guy. Or remember people carrying their radios to the ballgames so they could listen. It may very well have been a once in a lifetime type radio guy. I hope not, I would like to see Memphis bring another.
01-21-2013 06:53 PM
Harry J Offline
Fan of the spoarts

(01-21-2013 06:04 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM--------NEVER MEMPHIS OR TIGERS---------JUST-------UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

01-21-2013 07:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
I remember lots of people listening to their transistor radios in the stadium back in the day.
01-21-2013 08:20 PM
tigermark Offline
Special Teams

(01-21-2013 06:04 PM)jsw3ent Wrote:  UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM--------NEVER MEMPHIS OR TIGERS---------JUST-------UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UOFM UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

That's what I was going to say: U OF M
01-21-2013 11:52 PM
Advertisement

450bench Offline

To spend 30 minutes of your life, that's 30 minutes you'll never get back, defending Wolo as an announcer is admirable...I don't understand why anyone would do that but it's a noble gesture on your part
01-22-2013 01:38 AM
olegus Offline
1st String

(01-22-2013 01:38 AM)450bench Wrote:  

To spend 30 minutes of your life, that's 30 minutes you'll never get back, defending Wolo as an announcer is admirable...I don't understand why anyone would do that but it's a noble gesture on your part

Did you not read what I wrote? I was talking to my son last week about the dumb things sport announcers say and I thought Id like to post that . I used the convention of " a defense of Wolo" as a way to do it. As far as defending Wolo; I said nothing in his defense other than there are a lot of not so bright cliche quoting sport announcers that we listen to every day and most of it just goes over people's head who do not stop long enough to analyse what is said. As far as wasting 30 minutes of my life , I didn't have a lot of other things to do at 5 in the morning. I guess I could have read from a book I have started , but chose otherwise. How much time do you spend reading this board and writing post? Do you have nothing better to do?
I am not accused of being noble very often, but thanks.
It also appears that I don't have a lot to do at 3:30 a.m. either.
01-22-2013 04:28 AM
gotigers1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers!

Just wait until we start playing Ole Miss all the time.

UofM rimming no UofM gets the rebound..........
01-22-2013 10:21 AM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Gus

Good sportscasting is becoming a lost art. There was a time when you could listen to a game and follow it. Too much cutesy Jim Rome crap now. Just call the damn game accurately is alll I ask
01-22-2013 10:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.