US New World Report Ranks NIU
Bookmark and Share
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
US New World Report Ranks NIU
College of Education On Line

http://www.niutoday.info/2013/01/17/u-s-...in-nation/

I posted this because there are posters that discount NIU's academic credentials
01-18-2013 08:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU75 Offline
All American

RE: US New World Report Ranks NIU
Thanks for the good news. Online classes are a cash cow for NIU.

I am not proud of the 56% graduation rate and 71% retention rate of freshman. ISU is at 71% for graduation and 85% for retention. U of I is at 82% graduation rate and 93% for retention rate. Numbers are posted on the latest FAFSA report for my children.
01-18-2013 09:19 PM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
Those retention/grad numbers are disappointing in light of ISU's. they've made a commitment to raise the bar there and have passed NIU in some areas.

Having attended a couple of other schools since getting my degree from NIU (and now being back as a grad student pursuing another masters), our school does a sh*t job of supporting students academically and socially in comparison with others.

I hate to admit that, but I think it's the truth. I got my undergrad in 1995, attended two other schools for my teaching certificate and then my first master's. now I'm back at NIU as a grad student and it's the same bureaucratic nightmare it always was. To me, that's why the retention numbers are so crappy.
01-18-2013 11:55 PM
Huskie359 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU & SOX
I'm no expert in analyzing retention numbers, but it has always been my understanding that any college or university with a high percentage of commuter students (NIU & UIC for example) will always have less than average retention numbers and graduation rates. Their are huge advantages of being so close to the main population center, for example while at NIU I had intenships in both Rockford and Lisle. My first job was in Aurora and I was able to start my position in a part time capacity while still in school. Location of NIU was a huge advantage to me. Obviously, the primary negative is the "suitcase school" designation, which brings with it lower retention rates and graduation rates, and some would say less of a college atmosphere.
01-19-2013 09:13 AM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
Spin it this way to anybody that asks. Far fewer make it through NIU than the other schools. Getting into to school is easier, but we have programs that are tough to get into like Business, Physical Therapy, Nursing, Engineering. Once you weed out the weak ones that leave for another school, the grads that make it through are of higher quality. I am not a big fan of places like U of I that tend to grade higher once you are in based on your high school rank, grades, etc. I prefer to hire an NIU grad that worked hard and make it through. SUre I would like to see the numbers better on retention, but I feel there is a reason beyond the "suitcase school" mentality.
01-19-2013 09:40 AM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(01-19-2013 09:40 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  Spin it this way to anybody that asks. Far fewer make it through NIU than the other schools. Getting into to school is easier, but we have programs that are tough to get into like Business, Physical Therapy, Nursing, Engineering. Once you weed out the weak ones that leave for another school, the grads that make it through are of higher quality. I am not a big fan of places like U of I that tend to grade higher once you are in based on your high school rank, grades, etc. I prefer to hire an NIU grad that worked hard and make it through. SUre I would like to see the numbers better on retention, but I feel there is a reason beyond the "suitcase school" mentality.

Low graduation rate is NOT good, no matter how people spin it.
01-19-2013 09:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2013 09:40 AM)HuskieJ Wrote:  Spin it this way to anybody that asks. Far fewer make it through NIU than the other schools. Getting into to school is easier, but we have programs that are tough to get into like Business, Physical Therapy, Nursing, Engineering. Once you weed out the weak ones that leave for another school, the grads that make it through are of higher quality. I am not a big fan of places like U of I that tend to grade higher once you are in based on your high school rank, grades, etc. I prefer to hire an NIU grad that worked hard and make it through. SUre I would like to see the numbers better on retention, but I feel there is a reason beyond the "suitcase school" mentality.

I don't think your point is "spin" at all.

I have college age kids and between them and their friends etc. I've heard some say ISU classes are not much different than high school.

PLEASE....I mean no disrespect to ISU students/grads.....this is just college-age kid chatter....for whatever that's worth. As HuskieJ points out, it can vary with the particular curriculum.
01-19-2013 10:05 AM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

I wonder how much those rates have to do with the Chance program...they just recycle these kids in and out each year, which has to severely effect our retention and graduation rates.

I think programs like that have benefits, but it shouldnt be at NIU. There should be an interview process first for kids who are serious about going to college and need that chance rather than just letting anyone come who signs up. Second, the state should have the program at SIU, EIU or WIU instead of NIU. I say this because its farther away from Chicago and less likely for these kids friends who arent in school to come up nonstop and distract them and cause trouble.It would give these kids a better chance of succeeding IMO. Any of the recent alumni or current students know what im talking about. Just check out the rec center all day and then read the police blotter in the Northern Star. Basically everyday it involved kids from Chicago mugging people etc who didnt even goto school at NIU. Im not saying this is 100% on the chance program, but it definitely plays a huge factor. NIU has a negative connotation of being a "ghetto" school. Its sad but true...
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2013 10:25 AM by NIU32.)
01-19-2013 10:23 AM
DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-19-2013 09:13 AM)Huskie359 Wrote:  I'm no expert in analyzing retention numbers, but it has always been my understanding that any college or university with a high percentage of commuter students (NIU & UIC for example) will always have less than average retention numbers and graduation rates. Their are huge advantages of being so close to the main population center, for example while at NIU I had intenships in both Rockford and Lisle. My first job was in Aurora and I was able to start my position in a part time capacity while still in school. Location of NIU was a huge advantage to me. Obviously, the primary negative is the "suitcase school" designation, which brings with it lower retention rates and graduation rates, and some would say less of a college atmosphere.

This is an interesting notion. So, here's some schools either in cities, or like us- within an hour or so from a city.

UIC's grad rate is 58% with 78% freshman retention.
UWM 43/70
EMU 40/76
SIUE 46/70
Akron 34/72
Kent State 49/72
Ball State 60/79
Toledo 44/65
VCU 50/86
ECU 57/81
Cincinnati 46/85
Louisville 48/78

Not scientific, but it does look like there's something to that point. Really want to see numbers more like Ball State.

Cincy and Louisville have made big strides in their academic reputation but still have weak numbers. If the next president came out of Louisville with an agenda to build up NIU's academic standing in a comparable way I'd be thrilled.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2013 10:26 AM by DogTracks.)
01-19-2013 10:25 AM
NIU75 Offline
All American

(01-19-2013 10:23 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  I wonder how much those rates have to do with the Chance program...they just recycle these kids in and out each year, which has to severely effect our retention and graduation rates.

I think programs like that have benefits, but it shouldnt be at NIU. There should be an interview process first for kids who are serious about going to college and need that chance rather than just letting anyone come who signs up. Second, the state should have the program at SIU, EIU or WIU instead of NIU. I say this because its farther away from Chicago and less likely for these kids friends who arent in school to come up nonstop and distract them and cause trouble.It would give these kids a better chance of succeeding IMO. Any of the recent alumni or current students know what im talking about. Just check out the rec center all day and then read the police blotter in the Northern Star. Basically everyday it involved kids from Chicago mugging people etc who didnt even goto school at NIU. Im not saying this is 100% on the chance program, but it definitely plays a huge factor. NIU has a negative connotation of being a "ghetto" school. Its sad but true...
The black white issue at NIU has not changed from the 70s. At the basketball games, blacks students will sit with black students and white students will sit with white students. I have never seen this at an ISU or U of I game. Some things never change in DeKalb. Check it out at tonight's game.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2013 10:38 AM by NIU75.)
01-19-2013 10:37 AM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(01-19-2013 10:23 AM)NIU32 Wrote:  I wonder how much those rates have to do with the Chance program...they just recycle these kids in and out each year, which has to severely effect our retention and graduation rates.

Good post. And, it's not just an NIU issue, it's a major contributor to the larger problems in the city of DeKalb.
01-19-2013 10:48 AM
Advertisement

DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Data on NIU

NIU is 70th percentile among public colleges nationally in graduation (really thought that would be closer to middle of the pack). But only 46th percentile in retention.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2013 10:58 AM by DogTracks.)
01-19-2013 10:57 AM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2013 10:48 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  

Good post. And, it's not just an NIU issue, it's a major contributor to the larger problems in the city of DeKalb.

Its definitely a major issue to the city of DeKalb. Its sad, as an alum i want to brag about NIU when i bring friends up there, but sometimes the image is less than to be desired. I hope they fix this sooner rather than later
01-19-2013 05:48 PM
NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(01-19-2013 05:48 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  

Its definitely a major issue to the city of DeKalb. Its sad, as an alum i want to brag about NIU when i bring friends up there, but sometimes the image is less than to be desired. I hope they fix this sooner rather than later

I know plenty of students who cant wait to be done with school so they can leave because of how bad its gotten. Everyone still makes good friends and has good experiences, but it has gotten worse over the year with muggings etc.
01-19-2013 06:08 PM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

The college of education disqualifying 25% of teacher applicants does not help our cause in anyway.
Time to change the power of tenured faculty to disqualify educational students who they believe would not make good teachers.
The badwill generated against NIU by this college is huge and unfortunate .
01-21-2013 12:39 PM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I think programs like that have benefits, but it shouldnt be at NIU.

And NIMBYism rears its ugly head.
01-21-2013 05:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU32 Offline
Heisman

(01-21-2013 05:42 PM)niuguy Wrote:  

I think programs like that have benefits, but it shouldnt be at NIU.

And NIMBYism rears its ugly head.

have you not been on campus for awhile man? i suggest you go check it out if not. my sister and her friends are scared to be out at night...for good reason. As for your whole NIMBYism thing, its funny you didnt copy my entire post. The reason I said its not good to have at NIU is bc of the proximity of Chicago and how friends of kids in the chance program who dont even go to school come up on the weekends all the time and cause distractions, stir up trouble, bc of how close it is. What if the chance program was at SIU, not sure those same kids are making the 6 hour drive on the regular and hey its probably benefit the kids in the program as well bc they would finally be away from all of that. THAT was my point
01-22-2013 08:05 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-19-2013 05:48 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  

+1. I always talk up NIU to friends with college-age kids, but they want nothing to do with NIU for that very reason. Instead, they are sending their kids to schools like EIU and WIU.
01-22-2013 08:47 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Was Garrett Wolfe involved in the CHANCE program?
01-22-2013 11:49 AM
DoubleHuskie84 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N I U
(01-22-2013 11:49 AM)sterling1man Wrote:  Was Garrett Wolfe involved in the CHANCE program?

Are you?
01-22-2013 01:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.