Bookmark and Share
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Forbes: Big Ten most valuable college conference; SEC fourth
Forbes: Big Ten most valuable college conference; SEC fourth

CBSSports.com wire reports
Jan. 16, 2013 12:48 PM ET

NEW YORK -- The Southeastern Conference isn't No. 1 in one category: revenues.

Forbes released a list Wednesday of the estimated annual revenues for the top conferences in college sports. The SEC, boasting the reigning national champions in football and men's basketball, is fourth.

But that will likely change soon, because most of the money comes from television deals, and the SEC is renegotiating its contracts after expansion.

The Big Ten is No. 1 with revenues of $310 million -- $250 million of that coming from TV. The Pacific 12 Conference is second at $303 million and the Atlantic Coast Conference third at $293 million.

The SEC had revenues of $270 million.

The Forbes financial data came from the NCAA, BCS, conferences, news reports and estimates.

01-16-2013 03:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Forbes: Big Ten most valuable college conference; SEC fourth
SEC getting a big pay raise....

...with the new playoff and TV deals. Teams could be seeing between 10 and 14 million more per year than in the 2011-12 fiscal year, and that doesn't take into consideration that the SEC might expand to 16 shortly.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/col...s/1836389/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01-16-2013 03:31 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Man do i want to get into the ACC....

for all the BS product on the field in fb the past several years the conference (with hoops' help I know) still makes a killing....

me want some!

01-16-2013 10:34 PM
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I need to keep reminding people that the ACC is not going to be our savior in this conference shuffling.

Big 10 or Big 12 is our best option.

The ACC will be will be the next conference raided and what is left will be the same as the Big East was.

01-16-2013 11:04 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
(01-16-2013 11:04 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  I need to keep reminding people that the ACC is not going to be our savior in this conference shuffling.

The ACC will be will be the next conference raided and what is left will be the same as the Big East was.

There's nothing in it for the Big Ten to add Cincinnati. No money, no expansion of the conference footprint, no increase in tv revenues, no nothing.

It's the ACC or Big XII. Big XII would be much more stable, but Cronin would hate it. ACC would be, as you said, basically a return to the Big East 2.0, but Cronin would love it and football would be fine.

01-16-2013 11:14 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(01-16-2013 11:14 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 11:04 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  I need to keep reminding people that the ACC is not going to be our savior in this conference shuffling.

There's nothing in it for the Big Ten to add Cincinnati. No money, no expansion of the conference footprint, no increase in tv revenues, no nothing.

It's the ACC or Big XII. Big XII would be much more stable, but Cronin would hate it. ACC would be, as you said, basically a return to the Big East 2.0, but Cronin would love it and football would be fine.

Agree Coop....on all points. This is why I want the ACC. In addition, we could compete right off the bat in the ACC. It may not be the B10 or B12 in football but the money will be good, they just signed a 15 yr deal with the OB and we would have a shot to be a confernce leader in fb. In hoops we would be down the pecking order to blue bloods UNC and Duke, but after that we'd be right there with UofL, Gtech etc. The ACC is our best fit overall.

01-17-2013 05:52 AM
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-17-2013 05:52 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 11:14 PM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  

Agree Coop....on all points. This is why I want the ACC. In addition, we could compete right off the bat in the ACC. It may not be the B10 or B12 in football but the money will be good, they just signed a 15 yr deal with the OB and we would have a shot to be a confernce leader in fb. In hoops we would be down the pecking order to blue bloods UNC and Duke, but after that we'd be right there with UofL, Gtech etc. The ACC is our best fit overall.

You are assuming that GA Tech and UNC or even FL State and Clemson will be in the ACC. All of them may be gone. What does that leave for a conference. The Big East leftovers and being the fifth conference in a four conference world. And don't think that the OB contract does not have an escape clause if there is a significant change in the conference membership.

Everyone says we don't bring anything to the Big 10. Who thought that Rutgers and Maryland would be in the Big 10 three months ago? There are no blueprints for what is hapening in the conference shuffle. ANYTHING can happen!

01-17-2013 08:52 AM
Overrated Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
OSU won't let us in the Big 10. We have no chance there.

01-17-2013 08:56 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-17-2013 08:52 AM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  Everyone says we don't bring anything to the Big 10. Who thought that Rutgers and Maryland would be in the Big 10 three months ago? There are no blueprints for what is hapening in the conference shuffle. ANYTHING can happen!

A bunch of people. Rutgers has been on the Big Ten's radar for a long time and it was brought up each time expansion rumors were starting. Why? Because they're a huge market and very good academic school.

Maryland fits the Big Ten profile well, but many assumed they wouldn't leave the ACC. Still mentions of them as a candidate to join the Big Ten or SEC once in a while if both were looking to move up the east coast.

Edit:

Let's put this to rest: what is it that the Big Ten and every other conference are most worried about? Generating more money. What doesn't the Big Ten get a ton of if Cincinnati were to join? Money. OSU already gives them the state of Ohio and is one of the handful of national powers that have interest across the country. They don't need Cincinnati and it would be stupid to add them.

There's only one school in the Big Ten footprint they'd add and it's not Cincinnati.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2013 09:04 AM by Coopdaddy67.)
01-17-2013 09:01 AM
Advertisement

cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-17-2013 09:01 AM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  
(01-17-2013 08:52 AM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  Everyone says we don't bring anything to the Big 10. Who thought that Rutgers and Maryland would be in the Big 10 three months ago? There are no blueprints for what is hapening in the conference shuffle. ANYTHING can happen!

A bunch of people. Rutgers has been on the Big Ten's radar for a long time and it was brought up each time expansion rumors were starting. Why? Because they're a huge market and very good academic school.

Maryland fits the Big Ten profile well, but many assumed they wouldn't leave the ACC. Still mentions of them as a candidate to join the Big Ten or SEC once in a while if both were looking to move up the east coast.

Edit:

Let's put this to rest: what is it that the Big Ten and every other conference are most worried about? Generating more money. What doesn't the Big Ten get a ton of if Cincinnati were to join? Money. OSU already gives them the state of Ohio and is one of the handful of national powers that have interest across the country. They don't need Cincinnati and it would be stupid to add them.

There's only one school in the Big Ten footprint they'd add and it's not Cincinnati.

To add to this, can we put the "Ohio State is keeping Cincinnati out of the Big Ten" theories to rest, too?

01-17-2013 09:26 AM
marcuscan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats + UF
(01-17-2013 09:26 AM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  

Edit:

To add to this, can we put the "Ohio State is keeping Cincinnati out of the Big Ten" theories to rest, too?

Also....can we cease the whole Cronin will be hamstrung with a move to the Big XII?!? Plenty of kids leave the east coast to play ball. Even the best (Durant) do it. A good recruiter, is a good recruiter.

mc

01-17-2013 10:23 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-17-2013 10:23 AM)marcuscan Wrote:  Also....can we cease the whole Cronin will be hamstrung with a move to the Big XII?!? Plenty of kids leave the east coast to play ball. Even the best (Durant) do it. A good recruiter, is a good recruiter.

I think it's a significant enough issue that it's going to force Cronin to change recruiting strategies. Does that mean he can't and won't get commitments from good prospects? Hell no, but a lot of those east coast prospects were drawn to the Big East because of 1) Exposure, 2) Being in the best conference, and 3) Location. Without that, you're definitely going to see a decline in interest from those prospects and change where you recruit.

If I'm not mistaken, all of Cronin's HS recruits have come from Ohio and eastward (read: Big East country) aside from Dixon.

01-17-2013 10:32 AM
cmhcat Offline
Special Teams

Edit:

Hard to believe that such a truly God awful football conference as the Big Ten can still command such an audience. It amazes me that cable operators carry their network. They have very little interesting content to show.

01-17-2013 10:33 AM
Advertisement

Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-17-2013 10:33 AM)cmhcat Wrote:  Hard to believe that such a truly God awful football conference as the Big Ten can still command such an audience. It amazes me that cable operators carry their network. They have very little interesting content to show.

They have a couple football games every Saturday, that's enough.

01-17-2013 10:36 AM
cmhcat Offline
Special Teams

(01-17-2013 10:36 AM)Coopdaddy67 Wrote:  
(01-17-2013 10:33 AM)cmhcat Wrote:  Hard to believe that such a truly God awful football conference as the Big Ten can still command such an audience. It amazes me that cable operators carry their network. They have very little interesting content to show.

They have a couple football games every Saturday, that's enough.

I know I would not pay for it if offered the choice...I suspect there are many others who would feel the same way.

01-17-2013 11:25 AM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

There's a lot of channels I wouldn't pay for if I had a choice. That doesn't really matter in this situation though.

01-17-2013 11:33 AM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators

Edit:

I guess you don't appraise Cincinnati the same way I do...I have spent multiple years doing economic appraisals of fortune 500 companies looking at balance sheets and strengths / weaknesses / opportunities for growth...from a University standpoint, I would valuate The University of Cincinnati extremely well.

I have heard Big 10 ADs (plural) speak favorably about the University of Cincinnati with regards to admission...we are in that conversation regardless of what you believe. Unfortunately (fortunately for some on here who dislike the B1G) we are sitting squarely on the bubble...but there was significant dislike with the last 2 additions conference wide (hurting rivalry games for TV revenue does not sit well across the board)...I have been told AT LEAST 1 addition will come from the B1G current footprint...my GUESS would be Pitt along with another ACC school.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2013 11:51 AM by SeniorBearcat.)
01-17-2013 11:50 AM
Advertisement

Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

There is no growth potential in terms of television revenue. You can't change location and it's UC's biggest issue in regards to the Big Ten. They would not grow the pot of money and would lessen the take for each University. You know what they'll like after Rutgers and Maryland are officially in the Big Ten? Those huge checks becoming a reality.

Also, it's very easy to protect Big Ten rivalry games. Just switch the divisions around (rename them too). Start with putting Michigan and OSU in the same one.

01-17-2013 12:08 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

Even if we get into a diluted ACC so what...they signed a 15 yr deal that their champ plays in the OB.

01-17-2013 02:28 PM
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I am sure there are out clauses in that contract if the conference membership changes dramatically.

I would think that losing 3-4 top football teams would open the door to that clause being implemented.

01-17-2013 04:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.