Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gale Catlett
Bookmark and Share
bcat80 Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats

Donators
Gale Catlett
After reading about Brian Williams' death, I got to thinking about how well those teams played. Do you think UC would have done better in the late 70s & 80s with Catlett? I know he was the reason we were put on probation back then but I thought he was a great coach.

01-16-2013 03:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cmhcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: Gale Catlett
(01-16-2013 03:21 PM)bcat80 Wrote:  After reading about Brian Williams' death, I got to thinking about how well those teams played. Do you think UC would have done better in the late 70s & 80s with Catlett? I know he was the reason we were put on probation back then but I thought he was a great coach.

Without question...UC would not have entered the dark period if Catlett had stuck around. He was a great recruiter and a good bench coach. I think he would have been maybe a half step behind Crum's record at Louisville over that time frame...but there was that probation thing...

01-16-2013 03:55 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
Good coach and a scumbag. Glad he left.

01-16-2013 06:21 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
(01-16-2013 06:21 PM)QSECOFR Wrote:  Good coach and a scumbag. Glad he left.

Well, that's fairly clear. Anything else to add?

01-16-2013 06:36 PM
tdbearcat Offline
Water Engineer

The "dark period" was effectively caused by him. Glad he left too.

01-16-2013 06:54 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(01-16-2013 06:36 PM)ctipton Wrote:  

Are you 2 married?

01-16-2013 08:24 PM
Advertisement

Former Lurker Offline
All American

I Root For: UC...who else?
That was some d@mned good basketball and fun times back in the day. Don't project today's standards back upon a different time.

01-16-2013 09:03 PM
tdbearcat Offline
Water Engineer

(01-16-2013 09:03 PM)Former Lurker Wrote:  That was some d@mned good basketball and fun times back in the day. Don't project today's standards back upon a different time.

Not me. I am projecting MY standards as they existed then and continue to exist today.

Catlett ruined our program for years.

01-16-2013 10:05 PM
OneUChoopsfan Away
I'm Black & White

I Root For: U. C. I LOVE

Donators
(01-16-2013 08:24 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  

Are you 2 married?

No, but pushing hard for same sex marriage.

03-lmfao

01-16-2013 10:20 PM
BringBackthe Glory Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcat Nation
(01-16-2013 10:20 PM)OneUChoopsfan Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 08:24 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  

Are you 2 married?

No, but pushing hard for same sex marriage.

03-lmfao

That WAS pretty funny.

01-17-2013 09:18 PM
Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I could never stand Catlett. I always thought he was a total scumbag as well. And yes he was the one responsible for those rough years that followed.

01-17-2013 11:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cmhcat Offline
Special Teams

(01-17-2013 11:40 PM)Marcus Wrote:  I could never stand Catlett. I always thought he was a total scumbag as well. And yes he was the one responsible for those rough years that followed.

Catlett learned under some of the greats: Lefty Driesell, Adolph Rupp, and Ted Owens. He lifted UC basketball back to national prominence. He earned three consecutive NCAA bids back when there were only 32 teams invited. He assembled a team that was nearly good enough to win it all. Some people were turned off by his style but it was smart because it attracted attention and that was important then and it is now. Kids have to recognize who you are if you expect to get them to play for you. But that's just my opinion. I'd like to know how he was responsbile for ten years of bad basketball. Many schools have gone on probation and not fallen as far and for as long as UC did.

01-18-2013 08:37 AM
ShenandoahCat Offline
Water Engineer

(01-17-2013 11:40 PM)Marcus Wrote:  I could never stand Catlett. I always thought he was a total scumbag as well. And yes he was the one responsible for those rough years that followed.

I was always amazed at how he could take a shower curtain and turn it into a sports coat.

01-18-2013 09:46 AM
Vewb1 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Bearcats
Catlett had some great players and great teams while he was here including the late Brian Williams, Robert Miller (6'11" player from Louisville with a 48" vertical leap), Pat Cummings, Collier. I remember a heartbreaking loss to Notre Dame in 1974-75? Notre Dame stole the ball under the basket and score to take the lead.

01-20-2013 08:55 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I will be honest, as huge a UC fan as I am I do not know much about Catlett years...I didn't move to OH/attend UC until the early 90's. I know we sucked most of the 80's and we were good in the 70's with guys like Cummins, and I know Catlett got us in trouble but I do not know the specifics. What did he do that landed us on probation?

01-20-2013 09:04 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
(01-20-2013 09:04 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I will be honest, as huge a UC fan as I am I do not know much about Catlett years...I didn't move to OH/attend UC until the early 90's. I know we sucked most of the 80's and we were good in the 70's with guys like Cummins, and I know Catlett got us in trouble but I do not know the specifics. What did he do that landed us on probation?

You should have seen us in the late 50s-early 60s. 5 straight Final Fours. Two straight National Championships and blew the third.

01-20-2013 11:11 AM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(01-20-2013 09:04 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I will be honest, as huge a UC fan as I am I do not know much about Catlett years...I didn't move to OH/attend UC until the early 90's. I know we sucked most of the 80's and we were good in the 70's with guys like Cummins, and I know Catlett got us in trouble but I do not know the specifics. What did he do that landed us on probation?

Total scuzz recruiting...arranged to have alumni pay recruits and players. Had free charge accounts so players could buy big pimpin' clothes, cars, free airfare for families...good times. Of course he did the honorable thing and beat feet to a new job at West Virginia leaving UC to clean up the mess he created.

01-20-2013 11:44 AM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
(01-20-2013 11:44 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

Total scuzz recruiting...arranged to have alumni pay recruits and players. Had free charge accounts so players could buy big pimpin' clothes, cars, free airfare for families...good times. Of course he did the honorable thing and beat feet to a new job at West Virginia leaving UC to clean up the mess he created.

His wife was very wealthy, I suspect that's where the money came from. As I remember though, the final nail in UC's coffin was when a booster gave a birthday cake to a recruit when he was on an official visit here on his birthday.

01-20-2013 12:09 PM
cmhcat Offline
Special Teams

I wonder how different that was than a lot of top programs in those days...we probably don't have any players from that era who could weigh in here but, for example, does anyone believe that Kentucky wasn't cheating? Catlett probably learned it from his experience under the likes of Rupp and Driesell.

01-20-2013 12:14 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators

Leaving us with Ed Badger and the inimitable Tony Yates for the next 11 years.

01-20-2013 12:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.