Tulsa's conference future may clear up soon
Bookmark and Share
Southern Miss Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: Southern Miss

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Tulsa's conference future may clear up soon
01-16-2013 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies
RE: Tulsa's conference future may clear up soon
IMHO, Tulsa will be changing conference affiliation. The only thing left to see is whether they head east or west. I would bet on east, if I were a betting man.
01-16-2013 09:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eagleriffic Offline
King of the Wicker People!

Tulsa shoud go east. I think they have more in common with. The east schools than they do west. Also they have had more success with an eastern based conference than they did while in the WAC.
01-16-2013 09:16 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(01-16-2013 08:13 AM)Southern Miss Alum Wrote:  TULSA WORLD: Tulsa's conference future may clear up soon

While nothing "new" is stated in the article and it plays out "what ifs", the only telling comment from almost 3 weeks ago that probably hints at where Tulsa would like to end up was the quote by Tulsa's President Upham below:

During a Dec. 29 interview, Upham said, "I also want to be in a conference that we can be proud of academically. Losing two of the private schools (SMU and Tulane) in Conference USA is damaging to me, in the way I think about the conference."

"Whether that forces us to take an action, I can't speculate. For one thing, it's not our call. We have to have an invitation."

------------------

Everyone knows that SMU and Tulane are headed to the Big East...certainly seems that Tulsa's President would like to stay with SMU and Tulane in the coming years.
01-16-2013 09:27 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
(01-16-2013 09:13 AM)99Tiger Wrote:  IMHO, Tulsa will be changing conference affiliation. The only thing left to see is whether they head east or west. I would bet on east, if I were a betting man.

Tulsa will go to whichever conference doesn't have SDSU. Probably the Big East.
01-16-2013 09:30 AM
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
(01-16-2013 09:27 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 08:13 AM)Southern Miss Alum Wrote:  TULSA WORLD: Tulsa's conference future may clear up soon

While nothing "new" is stated in the article and it plays out "what ifs", the only telling comment from almost 3 weeks ago that probably hints at where Tulsa would like to end up was the quote by Tulsa's President Upham below:

During a Dec. 29 interview, Upham said, "I also want to be in a conference that we can be proud of academically. Losing two of the private schools (SMU and Tulane) in Conference USA is damaging to me, in the way I think about the conference."

"Whether that forces us to take an action, I can't speculate. For one thing, it's not our call. We have to have an invitation."

------------------

Everyone knows that SMU and Tulane are headed to the Big East...certainly seems that Tulsa's President would like to stay with SMU and Tulane in the coming years.

I think this may play a bigger role than some may think - We have always wanted to position ourselves with other like-minded universities (one of the reasons we came to C-USA with Rice and SMU with Tulane already being here).
01-16-2013 09:39 AM
Advertisement

Niner National Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
If/when Tulsa leaves, WKU better be the replacement.
01-16-2013 09:41 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
Recent UTEP alum conversation with Stull (our AD) indicates that he has contact every day with other conference officials. (no link and no proof that this means a damn thing). I would bet that other old and new C-USA school AD's are also having these discussions.

I have a new opinion of where this is going. I think Tulsa is going to the BE regardless of what SDSU does. If SDSU stays with the BE I think Tulsa plus one other school will also join to make 14. If SDSU goes back to the MWC then Tulsa will be number 12 in the BE. I also think UTEP will join the MWC if SDSU stays in the BE and if SDSU goes back to the MWC I think it will be at least a year before the MWC goes to 14 and it will include UTEP and one other Texas school at that time.

Thats my very worthless opinion as of today. I reserve the right to have a different, but just as worthless, opinion either later today or at the latest, tomorrow.
01-16-2013 10:03 AM
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

(01-16-2013 10:03 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  Recent UTEP alum conversation with Stull (our AD) indicates that he has contact every day with other conference officials. (no link and no proof that this means a damn thing). I would bet that other old and new C-USA school AD's are also having these discussions.

I have a new opinion of where this is going. I think Tulsa is going to the BE regardless of what SDSU does. If SDSU stays with the BE I think Tulsa plus one other school will also join to make 14. If SDSU goes back to the MWC then Tulsa will be number 12 in the BE. I also think UTEP will join the MWC if SDSU stays in the BE and if SDSU goes back to the MWC I think it will be at least a year before the MWC goes to 14 and it will include UTEP and one other Texas school at that time.

Thats my very worthless opinion as of today. I reserve the right to have a different, but just as worthless, opinion either later today or at the latest, tomorrow.

That doesn't sound far-fetched at all... I could see all the happening.
01-16-2013 10:10 AM
oldtiger Away
Forgiven Through Jesus' Grace

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardMemphis Hall of Fame
(01-16-2013 10:03 AM)MinerInWisconsin Wrote:  Recent UTEP alum conversation with Stull (our AD) indicates that he has contact every day with other conference officials. (no link and no proof that this means a damn thing). I would bet that other old and new C-USA school AD's are also having these discussions.

UTEP and its huge fan base moving to the MWC would be a really big loss for CUSA in my opinion. CUSA has been very successful in reloading and will do so again, but programs with around 35-40K football and 10K basketball crowds when things are going well are hard to find today. I know those aren't the average attendance numbers today, but they have been in "good times."

Good luck to the Miners in their move it it comes about.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 10:26 AM by oldtiger.)
01-16-2013 10:19 AM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
(01-16-2013 09:27 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

------------------

Yes, it must be about academics. That's why Tulsa, Tulane, and SMU would leave behind by the top ranked university in the conference. 03-puke
01-16-2013 10:19 AM
Advertisement

eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
Let's make this fun and form a "Secret Conference". One in which none of the members actually know who the other members are. You will not even know your opponent until they walk through the tunnel. Make the teams play on neutral fields so playing at USM may or may not equate to playing against USM. Don't even tell the networks which teams they are getting. Switch up uniforms. Change the names on the backs. It'd be a hoot.
01-16-2013 10:28 AM
paco Offline
2nd String

I Root For: nonbcs

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here's my opinion. The BigEast admits UMass and Navy. And maybe
the MWC takes in Tulsa and UTEP.

Its my understanding that some MWC schools (UNM) want a Texas
school in the conference. IMO a problem with UTEP is that its more
geographically attached to NM than Texas. Looks like MWC would
want a school located somewhere near Houston, Dallas/FW, or Austin/SA.
Maybe UTEP and UTSA. As you say...just another worthless opinion.
01-16-2013 10:33 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

(01-16-2013 10:28 AM)eltigre Wrote:  Let's make this fun and form a "Secret Conference". One in which none of the members actually know who the other members are.

I say that you do it by random lot every year :) Every year, just draw out 12 teams and that's your conference for the upcoming season. It makes a hell of a lot more sense than some of these other moves
01-16-2013 10:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
99Tiger Offline
I got tiger blood, man.

I Root For: football wins

Crappies
(01-16-2013 09:30 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 09:13 AM)99Tiger Wrote:  IMHO, Tulsa will be changing conference affiliation. The only thing left to see is whether they head east or west. I would bet on east, if I were a betting man.

Tulsa will go to whichever conference doesn't have SDSU. Probably the Big East.

Yep...and since I firmly believe SDSU will stay in the MWC instead of being a remote BE outpost, I predicted Tulsa would be in the BE soon.
01-16-2013 10:39 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
Valid question I just saw on the BE board. Will the Big East invite Tulsa immediately? Navy won't be there until 2015. If they add Tulsa they still won't have enough teams for a title game until 2015.
01-16-2013 10:52 AM
Advertisement

MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(01-16-2013 10:52 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Valid question I just saw on the BE board. Will the Big East invite Tulsa immediately? Navy won't be there until 2015. If they add Tulsa they still won't have enough teams for a title game until 2015.

Assuming SDSU goes back to the MWC, I think the BE will have a champ game no later than 2014 by adding Tulsa and two other school by this spring so that those schools can be in the conference for the 2014 season. They really would only need 1 of them to join by 2014 but I believe the BE will add 3. They really need to be at 14, like most other conferences that are at risk of losing a team or two along the way.
01-16-2013 11:00 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Another worthless opinion.

I don't know how much things have changed since the MWC was created but if I recall correctly, they reason why they left the WAC was because they didn't like the size of the conference.

I don't see MWC getting any larger than 12. If I'm not mistaken, for football they are already at 11. If SDST stays, then they won't be looking for any more teams.
01-16-2013 11:06 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
...but are there 3 teams the BEast considers worth inviting? I'm not sure.
01-16-2013 11:07 AM
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

(01-16-2013 11:06 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Another worthless opinion.

Isn't that basically what all message boards are?
01-16-2013 11:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.