A little SDSU Smoke?
01-15-2013 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PoiseState Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BSU and WWU
RE: A little SDSU Smoke?
I just do not see the divisions they have listed. I would rather be in the western division.
01-15-2013 09:57 PM
k5james Offline
1st String

I Root For: SDSU
Lol, that guy has zero credibility.
01-15-2013 10:14 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
(01-15-2013 10:14 PM)k5james Wrote:  Lol, that guy has zero credibility.
still in denial, eh

What about when your Prez sends out a statement confirming what they/we already know?
01-15-2013 10:31 PM
Yoda Offline
1st String

I Root For: Fresno State
(01-15-2013 09:57 PM)PoiseState Wrote:  I just do not see the divisions they have listed. I would rather be in the western division.

Boise recruits CA far to heavily to be left out of the state entirely. I understand why they would want to put top programs in different divisions -- to maximize the appeal of the CCG. I think that Nevada and San Jose State end up in the same division as BSU. So maybe something like this...

Southern Division or whatever
Air Force & New Mexico
Fresno State & San Diego State
Hawaii & UNLV

Northern Division or whatever
Boise State & Utah State
Colorado State & Wyoming
San Jose State & Nevada

Might need non-directional names but you get the point... Everybody plays games in CA.

Yoda out...

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2013 11:14 PM by Yoda.)
01-15-2013 11:12 PM
PoiseState Offline
Special Teams

(01-15-2013 11:12 PM)Yoda Wrote:  
(01-15-2013 09:57 PM)PoiseState Wrote:  I just do not see the divisions they have listed. I would rather be in the western division.

Boise recruits CA far to heavily to be left out of the state entirely. I understand why they would want to put top programs in different divisions -- to maximize the appeal of the CCG. I think that Nevada and San Jose State end up in the same division as BSU. So maybe something like this...

Southern Division or whatever
Air Force & New Mexico
Fresno State & San Diego State
Hawaii & UNLV

Northern Division or whatever
Boise State & Utah State
Colorado State & Wyoming
San Jose State & Nevada

Might need non-directional names but you get the point... Everybody plays games in CA.

Yoda out...

Maybe we will see something like the PAC does where certain teams from the north division are guaranteed games in Cali every year. Does Boise pull that kind of cache? I guess we will see. I want to play Fresno, SDSU, NEV, UNLV every year. I just do not see Boise giving that up.
01-15-2013 11:42 PM
Advertisement

k5james Offline
1st String

(01-15-2013 10:31 PM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  
still in denial, eh

What about when your Prez sends out a statement confirming what they/we already know?

Im just laughing at anybody who takes that guy seriously. I have more AD connections than he does.
01-15-2013 11:53 PM
PoiseState Offline
Special Teams

(01-15-2013 11:53 PM)k5james Wrote:  
still in denial, eh

Im just laughing at anybody who takes that guy seriously. I have more AD connections than he does.

What do you think happens versus what you want to happen?
01-16-2013 12:15 AM
Yoda Offline
1st String

Interesting quote from that link, "We have heard reports from San Diego radio hosts that San Diego State wishes to stay in the Mountain West Conference if they can get out of the Big East Conference without having to pay the $5 million dollar fine." Everybody assumes that they can get out for free now, since Boise left, but I'm not so sure.

The contract lets them out for free if there is no other western member -- on June 30, 2013. If they leave by the end of January, then do they get out for free or not? I don't think that the June 30 "get out of jail card" is triggered if they leave before that date. What would prevent the nBE from adding New Mexico State on June 30?

My point is, one of the hangups may be that they are still negotiating with the nBE as to an exit fee -- and with the MWC as to help paying whatever they end up being on the hook for.

================================================

One other thing...

I can't find it now, but I saw a reference (possibly a tweet) somewhere to SDSU putting off their announcement because Aresco wanted to meet with them. So does Aresco finally have a proposal that he thinks will win the day? Are they going to finally put a full western division on the table?

Or not. I mean it's a question that is built on a tweet -- one that I can't even find -- so don't exactly take it to the bank.

It might still be an exciting week.

Yoda out...

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 01:16 AM by Yoda.)
01-16-2013 01:10 AM
k5james Offline
1st String

(01-16-2013 12:15 AM)PoiseState Wrote:  
still in denial, eh

I don't know, which is my point. Anybody saying they know what we're going to do is taking out of their arse right now. Our athletic department has been on lock down since December.
01-16-2013 01:16 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

(01-16-2013 01:10 AM)Yoda Wrote:  Interesting quote from that link, "We have heard reports from San Diego radio hosts that San Diego State wishes to stay in the Mountain West Conference if they can get out of the Big East Conference without having to pay the $5 million dollar fine." Everybody assumes that they can get out for free now, since Boise left, but I'm not so sure.

The contract lets them out for free if there is no other western member -- on June 30, 2013. If they leave by the end of January, then do they get out for free or not? I don't think that the June 30 "get out of jail card" is triggered if they leave before that date. What would prevent the nBE from adding New Mexico State on June 30?

My point is, one of the hangups may be that they are still negotiating with the nBE as to an exit fee -- and with the MWC as to help paying whatever they end up being on the hook for.

One other thing...

I can't find it now, but I saw a reference (possibly a tweet) somewhere to SDSU putting off their announcement because Aresco wanted to meet with them. So does Aresco finally have a proposal that he thinks will win the day? Are they going to finally put a full western division on the table?

Or not. I mean it's a question that is built on a tweet, so don't exactly take it to the bank.

Yoda out...

That would hilariously be worth it. However since the nBE also needs a football schedule in place very soon, they'd need to invite NMSU now. It's a win win for the rest of MWC, nBE gets stuck w/ NMSU and SDSU has to pay 5 Million(why would the rest of us agree to help after what they said)
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 01:22 AM by Fresno St. Alum.)
01-16-2013 01:17 AM
Advertisement

SteveAztec Offline
1st String

I Root For: San Diego State
(01-16-2013 01:16 AM)k5james Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 12:15 AM)PoiseState Wrote:  
still in denial, eh

I don't know, which is my point. Anybody saying they know what we're going to do is taking out of their arse right now. Our athletic department has been on lock down since December.

Not as much as you think. I am meeting with the head of Athletics on Thursday. It should be an interesting conversation. 04-cheers

***And no, I won't be able to talk about what is said in the meeting. Sorry.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 01:32 AM by SteveAztec.)
01-16-2013 01:30 AM
k5james Offline
1st String

(01-16-2013 01:17 AM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 01:10 AM)Yoda Wrote:  Interesting quote from that link, "We have heard reports from San Diego radio hosts that San Diego State wishes to stay in the Mountain West Conference if they can get out of the Big East Conference without having to pay the $5 million dollar fine." Everybody assumes that they can get out for free now, since Boise left, but I'm not so sure.

One other thing...

Or not. I mean it's a question that is built on a tweet, so don't exactly take it to the bank.

Yoda out...

That would hilariously be worth it. However since the nBE also needs a football schedule in place very soon, they'd need to invite NMSU now. It's a win win for the rest of MWC, nBE gets stuck w/ NMSU and SDSU has to pay 5 Million(why would the rest of us agree to help after what they said)

Thats exactly the kind of thinking that makes me want to dump this short sighted league.

I'd rather be in the BE with NMSU than the MWC. It's not like NMSU's football history is significantly worse than USU's.

Hell, we already have NMSU on the schedule this year anyway.
01-16-2013 01:42 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

(01-16-2013 01:42 AM)k5james Wrote:  

One other thing...

Yoda out...

Thats exactly the kind of thinking that makes me want to dump this short sighted league.

I'd rather be in the BE with NMSU than the MWC. It's not like NMSU's football history is significantly worse than USU's.

No bowl since 1960 is much worse than anyone in all of FBS. Even Kent St. who had not been to a bowl since 1972 made it this year. USU has been 2 or 3 years in a row, also in 1997. But hey keep telling yourself that.

like my response to someones hypothetical is actual thoughts of the MWC03-banghead

Tell you what, if the nBE further weakens itself to keep you(they won't, get over yourself, UTEP can be our #12 just the same) by adding NMSU, we'll let you back out again since you have found your western partner.
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 01:54 AM by Fresno St. Alum.)
01-16-2013 01:48 AM
k5james Offline
1st String

(01-16-2013 01:48 AM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  

One other thing...

Yoda out...

No bowl since 1960 is much worse than anyone in all of FBS. Even Kent St. who had not been to a bowl since 1972 made it this year. USU has been 2 or 3 years in a row, also in 1997. But hey keep telling yourself that.

like my response to someones hypothetical is actual thoughts of the MWC03-banghead

Tell you what, if the nBE further weakens itself to keep you(they won't, get over yourself, UTEP can be our #12 just the same) by adding NMSU, we'll let you back out again since you have found your western partner.

Like I said, not significantly worse than USU.

Lol, like UTEP is a solid replacement for SDSU. They were a boat anchor in the WAC, just like they will be in the MWC.
01-16-2013 02:17 AM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

(01-16-2013 02:17 AM)k5james Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 01:48 AM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  

One other thing...

Yoda out...

Like I said, not significantly worse than USU.

Lol, like UTEP is a solid replacement for SDSU. They were a boat anchor in the WAC, just like they will be in the MWC.
I didn't know I said they were solid, I just said they can be #12 just the same as SDSU if you decide to stay gone. We already got who we needed in BSU, our icing will be red and black or orange and blue, that's up to SDSU. I thought it was USU that would weigh us down according to you they're the same as NMSU.
01-16-2013 02:28 AM
Advertisement

Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

Ask yourself, why would the nBE settle for NMSU just to keep SDSU, where most schools wouldn't want to have to fly out to SD to play that game and sure as hell don't want to go to NMSU ever, plus pay both of you 70% of their per year contract(say 3Million, so a little over 2mill to each, to each of you) over just paying Tulsa 100%(3 mill) and not having to travel way out west twice. So it's over 1Mill cheaper a year to let you go and not have to add NMSU. Heh if Tulane made them groan NMSU may get Houston to jump ship.
01-16-2013 02:39 AM
Road Apple Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Boise State
(01-16-2013 02:39 AM)Fresno St. Alum Wrote:  Ask yourself, why would the nBE settle for NMSU just to keep SDSU, where most schools wouldn't want to have to fly out to SD to play that game and sure as hell don't want to go to NMSU ever, plus pay both of you 70% of their per year contract(say 3Million, so a little over 2mill to each, to each of you) over just paying Tulsa 100%(3 mill) and not having to travel way out west twice. So it's over 1Mill cheaper a year to let you go and not have to add NMSU. Heh if Tulane made them groan NMSU may get Houston to jump ship.

The Big East is not going to add NMSU or any other team west of Tulsa. The effort to add UNLV and Fresno State is over, and they are not talking to UTEP either. That leads me to believe that other sources are right in that the BE wants to rebuild around a geographic model with a western division with members located east of the Rockies. That is why they turned into a milquetoast about keeping SDSU as a member and are already looking over CUSA for a suitable replacement.

It could be pointed out that their intentions were apparant when they added ECU and Tulane on top of Temple and Memphis, while giving lip service about adding "western partners" to the league to satisfy BSU and SDSU.
01-16-2013 06:51 AM
Yoda Offline
1st String

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. Nobody is considering NMSU. I just picked the first non-MWC/PAC school west of the Mississippi that popped into my head because I didn't want the argument to focus on whether or not this or that MWC team might jump if offered. So I picked somebody who would almost certainly jump if offered to illustrate the matter.

If SDSU accepts the MWC's offer before June 30, then I think that the exit penalty applies and they would owe the nBE the $5 mil. The fact that the nBE is "probably" not going to add another western school between January 31 and June 30 is irrelevant; they have the right to try. The exit penalty isn't waived until June 30, 2013 and if SDSU accepts the MWC's offer before then I think they owe the exit penalty.

Or at least it is enough of a legal question that it complicates the whole negotiation. If the MWC demands an answer by Jan 31 and is unwilling to help with the exit penalty, if it is owed, then SDSU would theoretically have to actually pay $5 mil ($6.5 mil including the Big West?) to rejoin the MWC. That's a whole different kettle of fish than if they only had to pay the BW. So the Aztec fans who want to stay in the nBE could possibly get their wish -- not because their administration wants to stay but because they can't afford to buy their freedom. Unlike entrance fees, which can be spread out over several years, exit fees require a lump sum payment within "X" number of days of leaving the conference.

Further, this could force SDSU to be a much more active nBE partner in trying to find a way to take more western members in that, the nBE might be more favorably inclined to renegotiate that exit penalty if SDSU works with them. But they might not be too; I don't know. I'm beginning to think that if the nBE sells the name to the C-7 then they should rename themselves the Big Exit Fee Conference.

Just for clarity, everything that I've said here is speculation except that I'm about 99% certain that the contract gives the nBE until June 30 to find another western member and the exit fee is not eliminated until that date passes and they have failed to do so.

Yoda out...

Well if the jerseyguy is correct, then SDSU and the nbe would have appeared to have agreed to just part company. Which means that either I was full of **** or that they agreed to just part company as friends.

http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4783

Either way, if it is true, then welcome back Aztecs -- even if you don't want to be here...

Yoda out again...

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 10:38 AM by Yoda.)
01-16-2013 09:38 AM
eldermars Offline
2nd String

I Root For: BYU

SDSU back to the MWC is the least surprising news since... Chris Petersen turned down his last job offer.
01-17-2013 06:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.