Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wishful thinking....but
Bookmark and Share
72Grad Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: East Tennessee
Wishful thinking....but
if and when football returns to State I'd like to see the following named to coaching positions: Billy Taylor HC, Jamey Chadwell OC, Mark Collins DC, Jim Beverly OLC....best thing about these people is that they are all State grads and doing well in both college and professional football.
01-14-2013 12:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Wishful thinking....but
Amen. You didn't mention Mike Smith. You talk wishful thinking...he's made all the money he needs...now he can come home and make football happen at his Alma mater!
01-14-2013 12:44 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
Not bad, but I thunk you might be shortsighting Collins.
01-14-2013 12:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Great list 72!
01-14-2013 12:47 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

(01-14-2013 12:44 PM)Mister Jennings Wrote:  Amen. You didn't mention Mike Smith. You talk wishful thinking...he's made all the money he needs...now he can come home and make football happen at his Alma mater!
That's not going to happen.

I have a thread for you, Mr. It was hijacked but can be saved, and you're the only one who can do it.

I would like your thoughts and takes on it.
01-14-2013 12:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

Taylor would be a solid hire IMO

"Taylor-coached defenses at ETSU and Elon caused an incredible 92 takeaways in three years from 2002 to 2004. His Buccaneer defensive unit led the SoCon in 2002 and 2003, and the Phoenix ranked second in the league in takeaways in 2004 with 25. His 2003 ETSU defense ranked among the top 30 in the nation in eight different defensive categories."

link to his bio page: http://www.ttusports.com/sports/fball/co...ylor_billy
01-14-2013 12:51 PM
Advertisement

slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: etsu
no knock on taylor or chadwell, but satterfield would be a better hc/oc...

defense does not put butts in seats.

lots of alums to choose from though.
01-14-2013 01:22 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

(01-14-2013 01:22 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  defense does not put butts in seats.

See: Curtain, Steel.
01-14-2013 01:33 PM
slappywhite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: etsu
(01-14-2013 01:33 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  
(01-14-2013 01:22 PM)slappywhite Wrote:  defense does not put butts in seats.

See: Curtain, Steel.

great comparison scoop...
01-14-2013 01:38 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

It is. Or, if you prefer: it is.

Steelers never sold out prior to '72, and those early Steelers teams were built on defense. Now they've sold out every game since then save for the '87 strike game.

Brian Noland has those West Virginia ties and that's near Pittsburgh. How 'bout the new fight song-

There Ya Go
There Ya Go
There Ya Go
Mullins, Adios

The nightmare's over and you're just a ghost!
01-14-2013 02:00 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2013 12:40 PM)72Grad Wrote:  if and when football returns to State I'd like to see the following named to coaching positions: Billy Taylor HC, Jamey Chadwell OC, Mark Collins DC, Jim Beverly OLC....best thing about these people is that they are all State grads and doing well in both college and professional football.

Some great names there! I cannot wait to see our next quarterback take the field.
01-14-2013 05:47 PM
Advertisement

PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Does Paul Hamilton have any more sons?
01-14-2013 05:48 PM
Bucster Offline
All American

(01-14-2013 05:48 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  Does Paul Hamilton have any more sons?

God I hope not.
01-14-2013 06:25 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

Nooooooo!!!!!
01-14-2013 07:10 PM
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

Okay, but please- PLEASE- don't have any overzealous fans start scouting pee wee teams now.

Please!
01-14-2013 08:03 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2013 08:03 PM)PittsburghBucs Wrote:  Okay, but please- PLEASE- don't have any overzealous fans start scouting pee wee teams now.

Please!

We are just having some fun! Been a long time since this kind of news. Giddy is the word right now.
01-14-2013 08:30 PM
Advertisement

Tree Street Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: East Tennessee
(01-14-2013 05:47 PM)bucfan81 Wrote:  
(01-14-2013 12:40 PM)72Grad Wrote:  if and when football returns to State I'd like to see the following named to coaching positions: Billy Taylor HC, Jamey Chadwell OC, Mark Collins DC, Jim Beverly OLC....best thing about these people is that they are all State grads and doing well in both college and professional football.

Some great names there! I cannot wait to see our next quarterback take the field.

I suggest that ETSU take a look at John Shoop, the former offensive coordinator for the University of North Carolina. He was not implicated in the scandal at Carolina, but the taint continues to hurt his chances of landing a job.

I've never met Coach Shoop, but we have a mutual friend who tells me that he has a great offensive mind, a talent for motivating young men, and admirable ethical principles (despite the situation at UNC).

Most posters on this board probably know more about the college coaching scene than I do. But this just for fun. Right?

Read more about the coach at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Shoop
01-14-2013 10:26 PM
ReturnOfMommaBear Offline
2nd String

B. Taylor

The long-term success of a new program depends on having a long-term commitment from a head coach. Any other "flashy" names are here and gone in five years and then the revolving door begins.

We need to look at Chattanooga on this one (who is a defensive guy, btw) and now App State with S. Satterfield.

Alumni player returns, a six year contract to show support and knowing that he will be someone who will eat, breathe, and bleed Blue and Gold. Give him the money to bring in a staff who will deploy a system and create low-turnover. (Mullins bragged about how there is little turnover now... it's because they are paying better than many other school's can come close to shelling out). Someone who lives to tell the story and make the connections, sell the program every single day!!!

I know he would give his all and this is his dream job. He understands FCS football in terms of funding, scholarship allocations, and recruitment. He has long-terms ties with coaches from Knoxville up with her own base of recruting. I could go on. He would also be able to put the alumni players back on campus with open checkbooks.

If you bring in a BCS/FBS guy, they get the whole "sticker shock" experience with set resources and limited knowledge of a comprehensive model. Most of these guys don't understand the harsh reality of making 63 scholarships work for 85 guys.

LONG TERM. Not revolving door.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2013 06:29 AM by ReturnOfMommaBear.)
01-15-2013 06:25 AM
etsudolfan Offline
2nd String

(01-15-2013 06:25 AM)ReturnOfMommaBear Wrote:  B. Taylor

The long-term success of a new program depends on having a long-term commitment from a head coach. Any other "flashy" names are here and gone in five years and then the revolving door begins.

We need to look at Chattanooga on this one (who is a defensive guy, btw) and now App State with S. Satterfield.

Alumni player returns, a six year contract to show support and knowing that he will be someone who will eat, breathe, and bleed Blue and Gold. Give him the money to bring in a staff who will deploy a system and create low-turnover. (Mullins bragged about how there is little turnover now... it's because they are paying better than many other school's can come close to shelling out). Someone who lives to tell the story and make the connections, sell the program every single day!!!

I know he would give his all and this is his dream job. He understands FCS football in terms of funding, scholarship allocations, and recruitment. He has long-terms ties with coaches from Knoxville up with her own base of recruting. I could go on. He would also be able to put the alumni players back on campus with open checkbooks.

If you bring in a BCS/FBS guy, they get the whole "sticker shock" experience with set resources and limited knowledge of a comprehensive model. Most of these guys don't understand the harsh reality of making 63 scholarships work for 85 guys.

LONG TERM. Not revolving door.

I agree, we need someone who is committed. This is not a rebuilding project, but a building project. We don't even have a team yet...so whomever the coach is needs time. Someone with Knoxville ties definitely helps (there are many good players that come from the Knoxville area that are often overlooked by UT), but we also need someone who can recruit well in the state and region. Since we are a mid-major school, we don't want to become that school that develops great coaches only to have larger universities pluck them from us putting us back at square one. The revolving door comment was spot on!
01-15-2013 06:43 AM
BucNut22 Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU, MICH, UC
Hiring a coach with ETSU ties would be ideal in a perfect world but I don't consider that a prerequisite. That is especially true when we talk about jump starting the program from scratch (essentially what we're talking about here). The new coach will need to have a certain level of success but more importantly generate interest in the program. Now that doesn't mean you need to go out and try to hire Nick Saban but you need a certain level of splash. The next coach will need to be part coach and part salesmen (Bruce Pearl without the NCAA violations type guy). Pearl wasn't a big name guy but he had an infectious personality that made a splash even if his name didn't.

As someone who doubles as a Cincinnati fan, I have to say that the revolving door fear isn't as pronounced as it may seem. The instability and uncertainty is certainly not what you want. If guys are moving on to bigger and better things it's likely because they did a damn good job. Eventually you want a guy that will stick around for the long haul but in the short term, when you're trying to build, there are more important factors.
01-15-2013 07:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.