UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memphis game and thoughts
Blazeralou Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB
MyBB Memphis game and thoughts
I just wanted to give a few thoughts on the Memphis game and more. I really thought we did play hard but just weren't good enough and I do think next year with a real point guard it will be easier for Haase to run his system. The real reason I wanted to post this thread is about the fans and tickets.

If you didn't know I'm 16 and I haven't missed a home game in 3 years. Although I am more fortunate then some and I acknowledge that, I do think more fans could come to games and should and of course once we start winning it will happen.

Although we could wait until the winning does happen, I had some thoughts on the UAB marketing situation. If you may remember the year we won the Conference Championship, we did many things that I think the marketing head (Brad Smith?) could do this year and years to follow. First of all, what ever happened to the Parachuting T-shirts? Although it is a kid thing, I do think it got people to the games. Also, because we get about 2000 people can we not lower the price of tickets and really lower the price of season tickets??? Why not do it if you could atleast make some money and get a bigger/better crowd.

I just wanted to post my thoughts on this, I'd love to hear you guys' response.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 02:06 AM by Blazeralou.)
01-13-2013 02:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mcblazer Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Memphis game and thoughts
It took us awhile to recover from a young Murry Bartow, and it will take us awhile to recover from Wimp Jr. In recruiting, coaching, and attendance. The best we can do now is to remember and honor Coach Bartow's legacy and allow no more Crimson stains or cheating thugs in our future associations.
01-13-2013 04:02 AM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
Our struggles shooting the ball from outside continues. I was very impressed with the crowd and atmosphere last night. I felt like going in that this was one of our best opportunities to beat Memphis that we've had in a while. We definitely have to improve our shooting percentage as we move on with the rest of the season.
01-13-2013 08:11 AM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

I believe the price of tickets are reasonable right now.
01-13-2013 08:14 AM
Blazer Nation Offline
Water Engineer

(01-13-2013 08:14 AM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  I believe the price of tickets are reasonable right now.
But the thing is if you lower ticket prices more people come to the games and more
People buy stuff from the concession stands.
01-13-2013 12:18 PM
Blazeralou Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-13-2013 08:14 AM)KevMo4UAB Wrote:  I believe the price of tickets are reasonable right now.

I agree with that but because no one is buying them for that price do you just keep them and hope for that? Why not give away tickets to schools, churches, organizations whatever and get a crowd each game who will cheer on their team and maybe 1/25th will end up buying tickets but that's more than what we have now.
01-13-2013 12:38 PM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(01-13-2013 12:18 PM)Blazer Nation Wrote:  
But the thing is if you lower ticket prices more people come to the games and more

No, that isn't necessarily true. This is a simple economic concept. Basically, you say at X price we can sell Y number of tickets. You then determine how much you'll make where each X&Y meet, and find the highest amount. This is where you should set your ticket prices. I cannot imagine somebody at UAB hasn't done this math. Getting people in the stands just to fill the seats isn't necessarily the best thing for generating revenue.
01-13-2013 12:52 PM
Blazeralou Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-13-2013 12:52 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(01-13-2013 12:18 PM)Blazer Nation Wrote:  

No, that isn't necessarily true. This is a simple economic concept. Basically, you say at X price we can sell Y number of tickets. You then determine how much you'll make where each X&Y meet, and find the highest amount. This is where you should set your ticket prices. I cannot imagine somebody at UAB hasn't done this math. Getting people in the stands just to fill the seats isn't necessarily the best thing for generating revenue.

What is the problem with giving tickets to let people come try out the games? I mean it could be 1/8th full each game or 3/8th with the same exact revenue and maybe more from concessions.
01-13-2013 12:56 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
It is going to take Coach Haase a year or so to get the tension and control that Davis demanded out of our guys. By this time next year Coach Haase will have a fun & gun offense without our guys being so tight.
01-13-2013 01:17 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-13-2013 12:56 PM)Blazeralou Wrote:  What is the problem with giving tickets to let people come try out the games? I mean it could be 1/8th full each game or 3/8th with the same exact revenue and maybe more from concessions.

If you devalue your product that way, it will be seen as valueless.

"UAB football is so bad that they can't get Legion Field half full if they give the tickets away."

Men's basketball is our prestige sport. Yes, it's a rebuilding year, and we're not as good as we want to be, but that's no reason to go crazy.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 01:22 PM by UAB Band Dad.)
01-13-2013 01:19 PM
mobileblazer Offline
DadofTwins

I think Troy tickets are more $ than ours.
01-13-2013 01:39 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Because they only seat about 5 thousand or so.

It is about trying to maximize your profits.
01-13-2013 01:40 PM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

1. I don't think the price of tickets is keeping people away. If Louisiana-Monroe a few weeks ago was free admission, there wouldn't have been a larger crowd. That's the interest level in our program right now.

2. We do fan appreciation nights already. $1 tickets.

3. We can't afford our stadium and other facilities. We need to sell tickets, not give them away.

4. General admission is only $12 or $15.

5. Students already get in free.

6. Parking is free.

7. We've been around since the 80s. We're a real, established program. UTSA can give tickets away. We'll be fine.
01-13-2013 01:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Blazeralou Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-13-2013 01:43 PM)thebernreuter Wrote:  1. I don't think the price of tickets is keeping people away. If Louisiana-Monroe a few weeks ago was free admission, there wouldn't have been a larger crowd. That's the interest level in our program right now.

2. We do fan appreciation nights already. $1 tickets.

3. We can't afford our stadium and other facilities. We need to sell tickets, not give them away.

4. General admission is only $12 or $15.

5. Students already get in free.

6. Parking is free.

7. We've been around since the 80s. We're a real, established program. UTSA can give tickets away. We'll be fine.

I know but what is wrong with giving a few to organizations or schools or groups to gain more interest. Why not?
01-13-2013 01:49 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

That has been done. I'm sure if a group wanted to come to the game that they would get a discounted group rate.
01-13-2013 01:51 PM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

Now if you wanted to experiment with this and do a more graduated pricing system, where different sections widely varied in price, you could evaluate the results and make a decision accordingly. For example, I would have paid $100 to sit front row, mid-court at the game last night, easily. Maybe a few rows back, off-center, could be $75. The entire top three rows in the "endzone" and corner sections of the arena could be free, and you could have one or two $5 sections or something. But the $5 sections would have to be mediocre sight lines for it to be a valid experiment.

How many people would be so eager to save the $15 that they opt to sit in so-so seats? I doubt many would do that. $20 is probably perfect. And again, general admission sections are cheaper.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 01:52 PM by thebernreuter.)
01-13-2013 01:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(01-13-2013 01:49 PM)Blazeralou Wrote:  I know but what is wrong with giving a few to organizations or schools or groups to gain more interest. Why not?

We do that.
01-13-2013 01:52 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
People are not coming to the game because tickets are too expensive. They are not coming because there is not a product they want to see. You don't introduce them to the pro cut with reduced prices. You do it with promotions and inventives. We are doing more of that than we used to, but not enough.
01-13-2013 02:00 PM
demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
There will can debates back and forth about marketing and how to sell tickets, but one thing is for certain;

Nobody ever came to a UAB game for the t-shirts dropped from the rafters.

(01-13-2013 02:05 AM)Blazeralou Wrote:  First of all, what ever happened to the Parachuting T-shirts? Although it is a kid thing, I do think it got people to the games.
01-13-2013 02:11 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
"Who wants a T shirt" was the beginning of the end for school spirit being exhibited during timeouts.
01-13-2013 02:18 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.