New column: Cronin Deserves Credit For Rebuilding Bearcats

01-11-2013 07:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
RE: New column: Cronin Deserves Credit For Rebuilding Bearcats
This is what the 3rd straight year we've seen this type of article?

01-11-2013 09:18 AM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I think Dan is pointing out that in past years when things took a wrong turn during the season people were calling for Mick to be fired. The last two years has showed the ability to end losing streaks and go on a run. We lose the next two, I am sure this board will be in meltdown mode but I doubt people are going to want Mick fired except outside the fringe.

01-11-2013 09:38 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Well, when the fanbase is like the mayor from Nightmare Before Christmas with the smiley face on one side of the head and the angry face on the other and they keep spinning around, makes it interesting from game to game.

01-11-2013 10:27 AM
Advertisement

BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
(01-11-2013 10:27 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Well, when the fanbase is like the mayor from Nightmare Before Christmas with the smiley face on one side of the head and the angry face on the other and they keep spinning around, makes it interesting from game to game.
So??? We're fans. You don't think Duke fans, Sparty, Tosu et al
don't second guess after a loss?
So tell me, if we lose this weekend vrs Rutgers, what would you
suggest as fans reactions?
a) Oh well, we lost. Maybe we will win the next one. I'd call it the Rosie Reds Fan. Show up at every game, hope Reds win. Then go home.
b) Pinpoint what we see as the reasons and discuss them here
c) Cancel my UCATS

You're not invested if you just sit on the sidelines

01-11-2013 10:59 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Howdy, El Mayor.

01-11-2013 11:17 AM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
(01-11-2013 10:27 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Well, when the fanbase is like the mayor from Nightmare Before Christmas with the smiley face on one side of the head and the angry face on the other and they keep spinning around, makes it interesting from game to game.

Does your characterization of the fanbase as the two faced Mayor include football as well when we had "fans" bash one of our own football players relentlessly, suggesting the coaching staff were idiots for not benching him even when he was 5-0, we're only playing him because he was their recruit, and threatening not to attend any more games if said player continued to get minutes.

There's a difference between fans venting after a loss or losing 3 of 4 and analzying and critiquing the team, and going off the deep end/calling for the coach's head. I don't see much of the latter from our fanbase. Fans of any decent program are going to be unhappy after 3 losses in 4 games and they may actually post about it on message boards. It doesn't make them a jeckyl and hyde fan base. It just makes them fans who are passionate enough to want to talk/post about the team. Mick himself points out in the article how he's unhappy with the offensive and defensive struggles of late so I guess he'd be lumped in this characterization of the fanbase as well.

01-11-2013 11:34 AM
Advertisement

BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
Pot,,meet kettle

01-11-2013 11:48 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-11-2013 11:34 AM)Murph29 Wrote:  

Does your characterization of the fanbase as the two faced Mayor include football as well when we had "fans" bash one of our own football players relentlessly, suggesting the coaching staff were idiots for not benching him even when he was 5-0, we're only playing him because he was their recruit, and threatening not to attend any more games if said player continued to get minutes.

There's a difference between fans venting after a loss or losing 3 of 4 and analzying and critiquing the team, and going off the deep end/calling for the coach's head. I don't see much of the latter from our fanbase. Fans of any decent program are going to be unhappy after 3 losses in 4 games and they may actually post about it on message boards. It doesn't make them a jeckyl and hyde fan base. It just makes them fans who are passionate enough to want to talk/post about the team. Mick himself points out in the article how he's unhappy with the offensive and defensive struggles of late so I guess he'd be lumped in this characterization of the fanbase as well.

This is a good assessment. I don't mind when people get upset at the situation. It's only natural and we all do it. In the end we are just really passionate fans who want the best for the Bearcats. But what I have a problem with is some people making wild accusations about the coach or players based on a single loss, like the thread the other day about Sean Kilpatrick being too focused on the NBA to score points. Without any kind of facts to back that up they just sound ignorant and immature.

01-11-2013 12:01 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
losing 3 in a row at home, after being ranked in the top 10 is tough. Hope they turn it around.

01-11-2013 12:34 PM
Advertisement

HattoriHanzo Offline
Bench Warmer

Fans being passionate and questioning things is simply a way to stay engaged. Not like we have any direct way to affect outcomes other than with our ticket purchase, or lack thereof. Nice to be able to vent a little after a loss, no matter how unhinged some of it sounds at the time.

I'd say our fan base is quite tame when compared to some others. Now that we've had some down time between games, rational thought has returned and I think this was a necessary, and inevitable, bump on the road to becoming whatever this team is meant to become. Weaknesses have been exposed, but with plenty of time for correction. Would rather we be talking about the lack of inside game and passing woes now then wondering what the hell happened in March.

01-11-2013 03:53 PM
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
Everyone questions coaching moves after a loss, but it's pretty amazing to me how little respect Cronin has won from the fans. Every defeat = outcoached.

01-11-2013 04:11 PM
Murph29 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: humble people
(01-11-2013 04:11 PM)levydl Wrote:  Everyone questions coaching moves after a loss, but it's pretty amazing to me how little respect Cronin has won from the fans. Every defeat = outcoached.

Anyone who has witnessed the last few years has to understand he can coach. I think there is a tiny tiny number of fans who don't respect Cronin. The critiques I see on here tend to be typical fan stuff and sometimes the coach can be part of that critique but that doesn't mean fans don't respect him.

01-11-2013 05:27 PM
Advertisement

HattoriHanzo Offline
Bench Warmer

I respect Mick a great deal. Very few could've done what he's done at UC, given what he inherited.

01-11-2013 06:15 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I've said it before will say it again...Mick has done an amazing job here all things considered. I hope we can keep him a very very long time.

01-11-2013 09:01 PM
levydl Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-11-2013 05:27 PM)Murph29 Wrote:  
(01-11-2013 04:11 PM)levydl Wrote:  Everyone questions coaching moves after a loss, but it's pretty amazing to me how little respect Cronin has won from the fans. Every defeat = outcoached.

Anyone who has witnessed the last few years has to understand he can coach. I think there is a tiny tiny number of fans who don't respect Cronin. The critiques I see on here tend to be typical fan stuff and sometimes the coach can be part of that critique but that doesn't mean fans don't respect him.

I don't think it's so much posters here. Fans at bars or people walking back to the cars after games.

01-11-2013 11:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.