Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Nuk Hopkins forgoing his senior season
catdaddy_2402 Offline
I'm not an ACC cheerleader

I Root For: Clemson and ECU
Nuk Hopkins forgoing his senior season
clemsontigers.com

Quote:Hopkins had one of the best seasons in Clemson history from a receiving standpoint. The native of Central, SC and nearby Daniel High School had 82 receptions for 1405 yards and 18 touchdowns in 13 games. He established ACC records for touchdown receptions in a season, consecutive games with at least one touchdown reception (10) and most games with a reception touchdown (12).

He finished the season with 13 catches for 191 yards and two touchdowns in Clemson's win over seventh ranked LSU in the Chick-fil-A Bowl, a 25-24 Clemson victory. His yardage total was a record for the 45-year old bowl game. He was named to a national All-Bowl team as selected by Sports Illustrated this week.

Quote:Hopkins established Clemson career records for touchdown receptions (27), 100-yard receiving games (12), and total reception yards (3020). He is second in total receptions with 206 for his 39 career games. The 191-yard game in the Chick-fil-A Bowl was his sixth 100-yard game of the year, tying the Clemson single season mark. He caught at least one pass in each of his last 36 games to tie Jerry Butler's (1975-78) record.

Hopkins also tied the Clemson mark for touchdown receptions in a game with three on two occasions this year, once against Ball State and once at Duke. Twice he scored three touchdowns in under nine minutes.

Quote:Records Set by DeAndre Hopkins (14)

Game (3)

Total Receptions: 13 vs. Auburn, LSU
Touchdown Receptions: ^3 vs. Ball State, Duke
Shortest Time 3 Touchdowns: 7:47 vs. Duke

Season (7)

Touchdown Receptions: #18
Consecutive 100-yard Games: ^3
100-Yard Receiving Games: ^6
Receiving Yards/Game: 108.1
Total Receiving Yards: 1405
Consecutive Games Receiving Touchdown: #10
Most Games with TD Catch: #12

Career: (4)

Touchdown Receptions: 27
100-Yard Receiving Games: 12
Receiving Yards: 3,020
Consecutive Games Catching a Pass: ^36

^ - Denotes tied record
# - ACC Record

As hard as it is to believe since Hopkins was arguably the best WR in the country this year, I was more worried about losing Boyd than losing Hopkins. We might not have the single player to replace Hopkins, but we have the talent already on roster to be fine at receiver. Between Watkins, Humphries, Peake, and Bryant we have experienced receivers ready to step up and fill the gap, and redshirt Germone Hopper is going to be the next great Clemson WR along the lines of Rod Gardner, Airee Curry, Chansi Stuckey, Aaron Kelly, and Hopkins.
01-10-2013 09:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HtownOrange Offline
All American

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Nuk Hopkins forgoing his senior season
Who do you have lined up to replace Boyd? WR is much easier to replace so you are probably right to worry about losing Boyd over Hopkins. I was glad to see Boyd stay, it benefits Swinney and Co. Clemson staying in the national picture helps the ACC as a whole.
01-10-2013 09:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
catdaddy_2402 Offline

(01-10-2013 09:11 PM)HtownOrange Wrote:  Who do you have lined up to replace Boyd?

Cole Stoudt and Chad Kelly right now. Most of the fanboys expect Kelly to be the #2 QB next year, but don't sleep on Stoudt, as he has performed every time he has had to step in the breech.
01-10-2013 09:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HtownOrange Offline
All American

Even better, then, as Stoudt and Kelly will have an extra year to mature. I was not a fan of Kelly, so I haven't followed him. He seemed to into himself and not the team. I take your word for his performance with the Tigers. I may be correct if Stoudt surpasses him.
01-10-2013 09:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

catdaddy_2402 Offline

Thing is Stoudt has a year longer in the system, and even midway through Stoudt's true freshman season it was no sure thing that Boyd was going to be the starter. Boyd was the leader on paper, but Stoudt (and Tony McNeal, RS Fr last year who missed the season due to a knee injury) both enrolled early and have as much time in the system as Boyd. Stoudt won 2nd string duties in 2011 with walk-on Donny McElveen (grandson of Summerville (SC) HS John McKissick, the winningest coach at any level of football) handling 3rd string duties.

Stoudt easily beat out RS FR classmate Morgan Roberts (transferring to Harvard this off season) and Kelly last year in fall camp for the backup duties, and Roberts got all the 3rd string mop up duty ahead of Kelly in blowouts this year.

Kelly is talented. Kelly had one incident last summer where he picked a fight witht he wrong person and got knocked the eff out. Of course that tends to happen to most people who pick fights with 350lb offensive linemen. Other than that Kelly has been a model citizen, despite the butt hurt propaganda coming from Syracuse message boards.
01-10-2013 09:38 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Where is Hopkins projected to go? 1st or 2nd round?

We were over Kelly along time ago...he is yours now. 04-cheers

We kinda like our new QB outta TX who was in the Elite 11 camp.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2013 09:45 PM by TexanMark.)
01-10-2013 09:44 PM
catdaddy_2402 Offline

Late 1st, early 2nd.

Lot's of QBs make the Elite 11 camp. Only 11 make it. Chad Kelly is a true Elite 11 QB. Just like Tajh Boyd.
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2013 09:51 PM by catdaddy_2402.)
01-10-2013 09:51 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(01-10-2013 09:51 PM)catdaddy_2402 Wrote:  Late 1st, early 2nd.

Lot's of QBs make the Elite 11 camp. Only 11 make it. Chad Kelly is a true Elite 11 QB. Just like Tajh Boyd.

Gotta take the money...as a receiver you might be around for only 4-5 years. We are losing an OL a year early (Pugh) and he might go as high as the 3rd. I think what colored his decision was he missed the first half of the season recovering a major shoulder surgery in the Spring.

I think 24 kids made Elite 11 this year...still pretty good. Ryan Nassib was a 2 star along with our OL Pugh outta HS and both will go in the first 2-3 rounds.
01-10-2013 09:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.