Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Abusing the Transitive Property
Bookmark and Share
HuskieGing Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: NIU
Abusing the Transitive Property
http://myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com

Wish I had discovered this one sooner. All the "... but you lost to Iowa" arguments throughout December drove me crazy. The transitive property is rock solid in mathematics but it's beyond flimsy when applied to college football. Disagree? Then ship the 2012 national championship trophy to DeKalb, since this site can demonstrate we are "better" than the Crimson Tide!
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 05:40 PM by HuskieGing.)
01-08-2013 05:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieGing Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Abusing the Transitive Property
Helpful hint: our Huskies are listed under "N Illinois", i.e. you won't find them alphabetically if you look for "Northern Illinois".
01-08-2013 05:43 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
NIU > Alabama? I knew it the whole time.
01-08-2013 05:45 PM
Advertisement

BobL Offline
Heisman

(01-08-2013 05:43 PM)HuskieGing Wrote:  Helpful hint: our Huskies are listed under "N Illinois", i.e. you won't find them alphabetically if you look for "Northern Illinois".
Try the other way..my team=alabama, your team=NIU
01-08-2013 06:22 PM
HuskieGing Offline
Water Engineer

(01-08-2013 06:22 PM)BobL Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 05:43 PM)HuskieGing Wrote:  Helpful hint: our Huskies are listed under "N Illinois", i.e. you won't find them alphabetically if you look for "Northern Illinois".
Try the other way..my team=alabama, your team=NIU

... or try my team=NIU, your team= Iowa. We are better than Iowa, despite our loss to them, since we spanked Central Michigan and the Hawkeyes lost to 'em. To reiterate, the transitive property simply doesn't work.
01-08-2013 06:29 PM
Advertisement

NIUpride Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Huskies
Kent State, Toledo, and Wisconsin - All who had late season wins that were instrumental in NIU reaching the Orange Bowl - also have a transitive advantage v Alabama.
01-09-2013 01:14 AM
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Lol, I wish I knew about this too. I spent a long afternoon arguing with some SEC fans who tried to tell me that our loss to Iowa made NIU worse than any SEC team.

I proceeded to work up scenarios in which NIU had beaten everyone of their losses... consequently my next employee review at work did not approve of this research time.
01-09-2013 10:05 AM
Advertisement

Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
(01-08-2013 05:30 PM)HuskieGing Wrote:  http://myteamisbetterthanyourteam.com

Wish I had discovered this one sooner. All the "... but you lost to Iowa" arguments throughout December drove me crazy. The transitive property is rock solid in mathematics but it's beyond flimsy when applied to college football. Disagree? Then ship the 2012 national championship trophy to DeKalb, since this site can demonstrate we are "better" than the Crimson Tide!

In mathematics, numbers do not change from day to day, and they do not play up or down to the level of their opponent.

Two was greater than one yesterday, it is greater than one today, and it will be greater than one tomorrow.

(01-08-2013 05:45 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  NIU > Alabama? I knew it the whole time.

They were in 2003. 04-rock

Perhaps we could argue that the Patriots should not be a playoff team because they lost to Arizona in Week 2.

Arizona beat Seattle in Week 1, so Seattle should not be in the playoffs either.
01-09-2013 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU8484 Offline
All American

This site provided much stupid foder on the ESPN Orange Bowl Conversation boards....
01-09-2013 01:55 PM
Advertisement

Huskiefan38 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies!!!
Even western Kentucky is better than Alabama! Psh... Speaking of "deserving" a bcs game, what a joke.

Div I - FBS W Kentucky beat Kentucky 32 - 31
Div I - FBS Kentucky beat Kent 47 - 14
Div I - FBS Kent beat W Michigan 41 - 24
Div I - FBS W Michigan beat Connecticut 30 - 24
Div I - FBS Connecticut beat Louisville 23 - 20
Div I - FBS Louisville beat Florida 33 - 23
Div I - FBS Florida beat Texas A&M 20 - 17
Div I - FBS Texas A&M beat Alabama 29 - 24
01-10-2013 08:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HuskieGing Offline
Water Engineer

Gotta love this site's tagline, too: "Taking illogical arguments to absurd extremes since 2008"
01-10-2013 09:04 AM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(01-10-2013 09:04 AM)HuskieGing Wrote:  Gotta love this site's tagline, too: "Taking illogical arguments to absurd extremes since 2008"

haha yeah.
01-10-2013 09:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.