This is great. Thanks for posting it.

01-08-2013 04:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Crewdogz Offline
I'm Your Huckleberry

I Root For: America
Donators
RE: Bob Valvano's awesome rant
That was great and I pointed out in the thread about rankings that Florida ended up ranked higher that UL in both polls despite the on the field results.

01-08-2013 04:56 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(01-08-2013 04:44 PM)ThinkBigPine Wrote:  This is great. Thanks for posting it.

My pleasure04-cheers

01-08-2013 05:39 PM
franzeal Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
Entertaining listen, thanks. That said, I have no hope for this populace. They would need a radio host to point out common sense.

01-08-2013 05:45 PM
Advertisement

daap_bearcat97 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: THE UC Bearcats
This is awesome and it call out exactly what is wrong with college football! I am a huge fan now!

I would love to just love to hear all the ND apologists, after their 28 pt butt whoopin, explain when everyone out there said UC didn't belong in the Sugar bowl playing Florida. We lost to Florida by a similar point spread as ND did to Bama last night, but you don't hear anyone saying that ND didn't belong. Plus we had just lost our coach, etc. Being that we aren't a "tradition" we don't get the respect and that is ridiculous.

Ok, done with my rant...04-cheers Go Cats.

01-08-2013 05:47 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
Absolutely amazing. I am now one gigantic Bob Valvano fan. Did he do this on ESPN radio?

01-08-2013 05:48 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
(01-08-2013 05:47 PM)daap_bearcat97 Wrote:  This is awesome and it call out exactly what is wrong with college football! I am a huge fan now!

I would love to just love to hear all the ND apologists, after their 28 pt butt whoopin, explain when everyone out there said UC didn't belong in the Sugar bowl playing Florida. We lost to Florida by a similar point spread as ND did to Bama last night, but you don't hear anyone saying that ND didn't belong. Plus we had just lost our coach, etc. Being that we aren't a "tradition" we don't get the respect and that is ridiculous.

Exactly. Remember how far we fell in the final poll from #3? ND gets their a$$ handed to them and go only from one to three. What a crock.

01-08-2013 06:06 PM
bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

(01-08-2013 06:06 PM)JackieTreehorn Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 05:47 PM)daap_bearcat97 Wrote:  This is awesome and it call out exactly what is wrong with college football! I am a huge fan now!

Exactly. Remember how far we fell in the final poll from #3? ND gets their a$$ handed to them and go only from one to three. What a crock.

I thought what hurt UC was that there were five undefeated teams heading into the bowls plus a couple of really good one and two loss teams in 2009. That was a loaded year.

The rant was awesome. Too bad we don't enough media types doing this. I would argue that ESPN coverage of college football is that worse than most political news shows. For pro sports ESPN and company as bad.

01-08-2013 06:48 PM
Advertisement

mptnstr@44 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Nati Bearcats
Valvano took guts to say what he said. I'm sure ESPN was not happy to be called out.
Thank you Bob for sticking up for every school (especially the Big East schools) that get no respect when they've earned it.

01-08-2013 07:28 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Meh, he stuck up for Louisville which happens to be part of the "in-crowd".

The day someone at ESPN starts sticking up for UC I will amazed.

01-08-2013 09:18 PM
mbl95 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Beautifully done by him. College Football..............is being completed corrupted and he called it out. When image, reputation, perception, and backroom corporate interests so blatently work together to perpetuate a "power to the few and priveledged"..............vs. letting teams and athletes decide a championship on the field................it cuts to the heart of the very essence of sport. The networks are in complicit w/ the "big conferences" to hoard the money and access..........and ESPN is leading the way w/ guys like Herbstreit. Until there is an expanded playoff format (8 or 16 teams) with the revenue distribution that comes w/ it....the latest moves will only make it worse. Way to go Bob V!

01-09-2013 01:53 AM
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:
A playoff is coming. It just won't be the NCAA running the show.

Four, sixteen team conference braking away from the NCAA.

01-09-2013 09:13 AM
Advertisement

bearcatlawjd Offline
All American

(01-09-2013 09:13 AM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  A playoff is coming. It just won't be the NCAA running the show.

Four, sixteen team conference braking away from the NCAA.

Nobody is breaking away from the NCAA. Title IX and the required funding of women's sports probably keeps everybody together.

01-09-2013 09:54 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Must be nice to have an in-town media that sticks up for you - an ESPN-affiliated one at that.

01-09-2013 10:00 AM
BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
Or a local media that has a national influence

01-09-2013 10:05 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(01-09-2013 10:05 AM)BearcatBeta Wrote:  Or a local media that has a national influence

That's one thing I noticed when I left Cincinnati. Cincinnati sports medida types have zero national pull. Other than being buddies with Mike DeCourcey (who lives here), Lance McAlister has zero national pull. Mo has even less. When I moved to Columbus, I quickly noticed the sports guys on the radio rubbing elbows with the Reece Davis's and Chris Fowler's of the world. It was if they all had known each other for years and those guys are so familar with Columbus that they knew every bar and tavern in town.

Ironically, the one guy who might have a little juice is Dan Hoard. It was no coincidence that on the occasion he filled in for Mo he was able to snag in Mike Aresco. At first blush one could argue the regular guys are not interested, but I also have to think the fact Dan had the right connections played a role in getting the interview.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 10:31 AM by CliftonAve.)
01-09-2013 10:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.