Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Early Big East power rankings for 2013
Bookmark and Share
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Early Big East power rankings for 2013
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/i...r-rankings

Time to take an early look at the new-look Big East headed into 2013. Now, a few caveats: First, these rankings are subject to change many times before the season begins. Second, I am basing them mostly on returning starters and results from 2012. Since a majority of this league is new, I have not had time to sit down and watch every single game from every program.

Third -- we still have no idea if this is what the league will look like in 2013!

So give me a little time and take these for what they are -- a first take on 2013 with much more to come. *Note: Those looking for Pitt and Syracuse, check the ACC blog.

1. Louisville. I think we can all agree here -- the Cardinals will go into the season as the prohibitive favorite to win the Big East. Teddy Bridgewater returns, along with just about every starter on a team that beat Florida in the Sugar Bowl. Get ready for this team to try to make another run.

2. Cincinnati. I know the Bearcats have had a coaching change, but I like that the core nucleus returns. Cincinnati should have the best offensive line in the league; Brendon Kay got his sixth year, and so did emerging middle linebacker Greg Blair. While there are major players who have to be replaced, Cincinnati showed this year it has players to step right in and get the job done.

3. Rutgers. I honestly think this might be too high for the Scarlet Knights. I may just still be suffering from sitting through the entire Russell Athletic Bowl. But there are major questions that have to be answered -- is Gary Nova any better at quarterback? Can Savon Huggins step right in for Jawan Jamison? Who steps up on a defense that loses its biggest playmakers? Far too many unknowns.

4. UCF. I like Blake Bortles, and I like Storm Johnson, and the Knights are coming off a 10-win season as they join the Big East. To me, they are the best looking of the newcomers. Key players on defense have to be replaced, and don't forget that this team could be serving a postseason ban.

5. San Diego State. The Aztecs return a majority of their starters, including Mountain West Offensive Player of the Year Adam Muema, who ran for 1,458 yards and 16 touchdowns this year. I watched their San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl meltdown from start to finish. My takeaway -- if this team wants to make a serious run, it needs much better play out of quarterback Adam Dingwell.

6. USF. In all honesty, the Bulls could be lower, given their performance the past two years. They have no quarterback. No running back. Questions all over the place on defense. And a new coach. Willie Taggart is going to need some time to change the program, but I think there is enough talent at some of the skill positions and up front for the Bulls to be more competitive in 2013.

7. Connecticut. Considering the best players on defense are gone, it is hard to believe the Huskies will be much improved in 2013 over 2012. The defense was the best part of this team, and now it must replace the Big East leader in sacks, (Trevardo Williams), along with Sio Moore, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Jory Johnson and Dwayne Gratz. Offensively, this group needs an overhaul. Will it get one before it's too late?

8. Houston. The Cougars had a rough first year under new coach Tony Levine, finishing 5-7 in 2012. But there are some key players returning and a new offensive coordinator who should help steady the ship. Watch out for cornerback Trevon Stewart, named a FWAA freshman All-American.

9. Temple. I think the Owls have a chance to make some major leaps up this list depending on how spring practice shakes out. There is a new coach in town in Matt Rhule, who knows better than anyone what it takes to win at Temple. He needs to make a decision at quarterback and find a running back, for starters.

10. SMU. I do not have much hope for the Mustangs in Year 1, at least not yet. This team is taking bigger losses than any Big East newcomer. Starting running back Zach Line is gone. So are defensive standouts Margus Hunt, Ja'Gared Davis and Taylor Reed.

11. Memphis. The Tigers made marked improvement in 2012 under Justin Fuente, going 4-8 -- including a three-game winning streak to end the season. Seventeen starters return, including quarterback Jacob Karam, so the Tigers definitely have momentum going into Year 1 in the Big East.

01-08-2013 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Early Big East power rankings for 2013
Sort of OT but here are the ACC Early Rankings. Looks like even in the ACC Pitt is overrated.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=...6715035174

01-08-2013 01:59 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Weird not seeing USF as the favorite to win the Big East in a pre-season prediction.

01-08-2013 02:02 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(01-08-2013 02:02 PM)Racinejake Wrote:  Weird not seeing USF as the favorite to win the Big East in a pre-season prediction.

Plenty of time for somebody to do that, keep hope alive.

01-08-2013 02:38 PM
Advertisement

bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Looks about right. Pretty pumped that Louisville is coming here next year. Could be an enormous football game.

01-08-2013 02:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
indycat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
Agreed--U of L and UC should be head and shoulders above the rest of the league and the game here might just determine the BCS berth. Worst case: I'm hoping for a trip to Orlando for the Russell (former Citrus) Bowl if they wind up in second place.
Here's hoping an invite to the ACC precedes all this so we don't have to think about what the Big East will look like in 2014.

01-08-2013 03:08 PM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
(01-08-2013 03:08 PM)indycat Wrote:  Agreed--U of L and UC should be head and shoulders above the rest of the league and the game here might just determine the BCS berth. Worst case: I'm hoping for a trip to Orlando for the Russell (former Citrus) Bowl if they wind up in second place.
Here's hoping an invite to the ACC precedes all this so we don't have to think about what the Big East will look like in 2014.

If the Big East schedulers are smart they put the keg o' nails game on the last weekend of the schedule , maybe even that Friday night . They seem good at setting that big last weekend game in years past. Which is 50% luck too

01-08-2013 03:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.