Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

so much gloom and doom
Bookmark and Share
icehole3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
so much gloom and doom
ND deserves some credit, that was some of the best offensive execution I've seen in a long time. When you execute the pick and roll correctly you can make a team look pretty bad on defense. In the pick and roll your point guard has to have the confidence to make that pass to the releasing pick player and then also the pick player has to make good decisions with the ball because he will have many options and the ND bigs put on a clinic.

The encouraging thing I saw last night was the last 10 minutes UC saw what ND was doing and realized finally...hey we can do that too. I saw several nice pick and rolls executed by UC , I thought they used the pick and roll more this game than the total games played so far combined. Now they could easily go back to standing around and passing the ball at the 3 point line and then rushing a shot up in the final 8 seconds.

So I see some promise in the offense going forward. I also saw some nice penetration and was encouraged that the UC bigs took a pass from the pick and roll and actually threw down a dunk off it, now I need to see the bigs take a pass off the pick and roll take 1 dribble and make a pass to a wide open player like the ND bigs were able to do.

01-08-2013 03:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DashRiprock Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: so much gloom and doom
(01-08-2013 03:57 AM)icehole3 Wrote:  ND deserves some credit, that was some of the best offensive execution I've seen in a long time. When you execute the pick and roll correctly you can make a team look pretty bad on defense. In the pick and roll your point guard has to have the confidence to make that pass to the releasing pick player and then also the pick player has to make good decisions with the ball because he will have many options and the ND bigs put on a clinic.

The encouraging thing I saw last night was the last 10 minutes UC saw what ND was doing and realized finally...hey we can do that too. I saw several nice pick and rolls executed by UC , I thought they used the pick and roll more this game than the total games played so far combined. Now they could easily go back to standing around and passing the ball at the 3 point line and then rushing a shot up in the final 8 seconds.

So I see some promise in the offense going forward. I also saw some nice penetration and was encouraged that the UC bigs took a pass from the pick and roll and actually threw down a dunk off it, now I need to see the bigs take a pass off the pick and roll take 1 dribble and make a pass to a wide open player like the ND bigs were able to do.

Agree completely. Also, like how Shaq Thomas saw considerably more playing time than usual and even a contribution from Gaines. ST especially will be important to develop for team to reach new heights (and especially after this year).

01-08-2013 06:50 AM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Notre Dame is higher ranked for a reason. They are a well coached team and their passing at many times was excellent. You can tell they practice that a lot.

01-08-2013 06:56 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
It's certainly not a bad loss, but 3 straight home losses is unacceptable. You're dead on about ND's passing burning us. It's easy to complain about a team shooting the lights out from 3 on you, but if we leave guys that wide open like that all year we'll be complaining about team's having career days from 3 frequently.

01-08-2013 07:38 AM
Advertisement

BigDawg Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
ND is way under-ranked IMO. They have one loss really early in the season to a solid St. Joes team in OT and they have crushed a lot of pretty solid teams, including UK who hung around with Duke around the same time. I was really impressed with how good their offense was at spreading the floor and you have to worry about everyone on the floor scoring. I believe ND will be in the top 10 at some point in the near future.

01-08-2013 10:52 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcat T Offline
All American

I Root For:
The sad thing was the students were back and ready to win....we always seem to let the fans down just when they are getting back on board with the 3 straight well attended games yet 3 losses. tough to fill the place when you don't win at home. Hopefully this is just a bump in the road as I really like this team. I wil have to say we really miss Yancy at times...This was the kind of game he would have thrived in. Justin Jackson must be a part of the balance of the season and fast! Good contributions from the young guys though as they continue to develop. The Black Out was great! Nd did what they needed to do throughout the game...it was amazing though to review the stats it seemed like they would have had more assists and rebounds than us?

01-08-2013 11:16 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Nd is good

Great passing, smart, can pick and roll etc

Of course they will, regardless of seeding, lose in the first round like always. I have been bitten by this team in my bracket every year and this year im not gonna get nailed by ND early exit.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 01:58 PM by Bearcats#1.)
01-08-2013 01:58 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(01-08-2013 07:38 AM)uccheese Wrote:  It's certainly not a bad loss, but 3 straight home losses is unacceptable. You're dead on about ND's passing burning us. It's easy to complain about a team shooting the lights out from 3 on you, but if we leave guys that wide open like that all year we'll be complaining about team's having career days from 3 frequently.

Yep

01-08-2013 02:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.