UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Still no mention of UAB
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

I Root For: UAB
Still no mention of UAB
Here is the latest from Andy Katz.

3. The remaining Big East athletic directors will meet in Dallas on Jan. 11 to discuss their latest moves, including the update on the television negotiations. Tulsa and UMass have been discussed as possible additions if the Big East decides to expand, according to multiple sources. Rice and Southern Miss were also tossed around. Meanwhile, the Mountain West expects to move on San Diego State by the end of this week, according to a league source. The MWC has to decide if it will go to 12 or 14. The MWC has interest in SMU and Houston, but SMU has let it be known to the MWC it has no interest as the Mustangs and Cougars are set to go to the Big East. UTEP desperately wants to be in the MWC, according to a source, and is on the MWC list. BYU is the first choice for the MWC but at this juncture the Cougars want to remain independent in football, WCC in other sports.

The common denominator in all of this realignment talk is UAB is never, ever mentioned. UAB's football program has become the butt end of all C-USA jokes. We had our chance and failed, and some of that failure lies with the UA BOT hiring our previous coach. UAB's football program is leading UAB athletics right down the toilet. There are several other schools, new to football, that will quickly rise above UAB, such as UTSA and Charlotte.

Again, UAB football is the albatross around the neck of UAB's athletic department. We are drowning!
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 11:10 AM by KevMo4UAB.)
01-07-2013 10:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
RE: Still no mention of UAB
I'm not surprised, Kev. It's all part of the "grand design" to keep UAB athletics diluted. You may hear Tulsa and Southern Miss get a whiff of consideration for conference expansion/realignment before UAB. Sad but obvious, and our apathetic attendance in football and basketball (men's and women's) is not exactly helping matters any.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 10:33 AM by Matrix.)
01-07-2013 10:31 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
What part of "devoted to the CUSA" do you not understand?

Tulsa president has taken the opposite approach and said they will do what ever is necessary to get out of CUSA.
01-07-2013 10:33 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Know what?

I think I'll just keep going out to watch MY team play.
01-07-2013 10:34 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Why would we want to be mentioned for a league that will not be in existence in the near future? I would stop worrying about it because when it is all said and done we will have the same access to te playoff as every school mentioned there.

Btw is there any difference playing a home football game against SMU or UTSA? Are we rely gonna draw less for FAU than we do Tulane? Win football games and full the seats.

I'm with Smaug. I'm gonna go watch UAB.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 10:36 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
01-07-2013 10:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tibber Offline
1st String

I Root For:
BlazerTalk Award
[Image: PCT1261.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 10:45 AM by tibber.)
01-07-2013 10:44 AM
Advertisement

KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

(01-07-2013 10:35 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Why would we want to be mentioned for a league that will not be in existence in the near future? I would stop worrying about it because when it is all said and done we will have the same access to te playoff as every school mentioned there.

Btw is there any difference playing a home football game against SMU or UTSA? Are we rely gonna draw less for FAU than we do Tulane? Win football games and full the seats.

The Big East is not going away. They will continue to pick off schools from other conferences. These schools will have promising football programs, unlike UAB. What does Tulane have that UAB doesn't? The construction of an OCS.
01-07-2013 10:44 AM
tibber Offline
1st String

I Root For:
BlazerTalk Award
Jesus, I've even said similar things as you about football and even I think you're being hysterical.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 10:52 AM by tibber.)
01-07-2013 10:46 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

If tibber things you're being unduly pessimistic, then it may be time to take a few deep breaths. 03-lol
01-07-2013 10:53 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
Perhaps "committed to C-USA" means we can't spend millions just to go to the Little East. Maybe if it was a significant step up but I just don't see it that way any more. We're all on the outside looking in.
01-07-2013 10:57 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

Most of us were upset when Solomon suggested that we move to the sunbelt, so its reasonable that we are upset that the sunbelt has come to us. UAB very well could be the only longtime C-USA member left in C-USA. Whether its advantageous or not to go to the Big East, never being mentioned says a lot about our athletics program.
01-07-2013 11:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uab278 Offline
All American

Look, our football is sub par but it will be better in a few years. I am not sure why we are not getting any mentions in realignment talks, but I do know we have the tradition in basketball for a better conference than CUSA. If things keep going the way they are going then we will be the dominant force in CUSA, and this means a bid every year. The argument about football no longer makes sense as they added freaking Memphis before this year (granted they made a commitment to improve facilities and such...). Overall, I do not care where UAB plays as long as they are playing D1 sports.
01-07-2013 11:05 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(01-07-2013 10:57 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Perhaps "committed to C-USA" means we can't spend millions just to go to the Little East. Maybe if it was a significant step up but I just don't see it that way any more. We're all on the outside looking in.

I hadn't thought of that.

Why commit scarce resources on something that's looking more and more like a lateral move daily.
01-07-2013 11:09 AM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-07-2013 10:35 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Why would we want to be mentioned for a league that will not be in existence in the near future? I would stop worrying about it because when it is all said and done we will have the same access to te playoff as every school mentioned there.

Totally agree.
01-07-2013 11:11 AM
uab278 Offline
All American

(01-07-2013 11:09 AM)Smaug Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 10:57 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Perhaps "committed to C-USA" means we can't spend millions just to go to the Little East. Maybe if it was a significant step up but I just don't see it that way any more. We're all on the outside looking in.

I hadn't thought of that.

Why commit scarce resources on something that's looking more and more like a lateral move daily.

The only thing that will suck if Southern Miss leaves is that we lose the rivalry with Southern Miss and Memphis. Now if those two schools continued to play us then I am just fine where we are currently located.
01-07-2013 11:14 AM
tibber Offline
1st String

I Root For:
BlazerTalk Award
I was and am bummed about losing the Memphis rivalry, and it would suck a lot if we lost our other rival in USM, but the Big East quit being worth getting upset over when the Catholic schools left. Louisville, UConn and Cincy are bolting as soon as they can, making it even less worth it. You wanna talk about the viability of football, fine, maybe we should but panicking over this sideshow of a sideshow that is realignment is pointless.
01-07-2013 11:16 AM
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
(01-07-2013 11:14 AM)uab278 Wrote:  The only thing that will suck if Southern Miss leaves is that we lose the rivalry with Southern Miss and Memphis. Now if those two schools continued to play us then I am just fine where we are currently located.

I'm afraid we're going to lose USM to the Western division any way. :/
01-07-2013 11:18 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

If other schools want to fork out $10 million to make a lateral move, so be it.

I would rather our money be dedicated to something else.
01-07-2013 11:21 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Everyone keeps saying lateral move.

How is it a lateral move when what is left is inferior. CUSA is replacing teams with schools I didn't even know had D1 athletic programs (UTSA)
01-07-2013 11:24 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Big east is toast.
01-07-2013 11:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.