Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Cronin craves stronger starts from Bearcats
Cronin craves stronger starts from Bearcats
Head coach: No first-half struggles wanted

9:44 PM, Jan 4, 2013

[Image: bilde?Site=AB&Date=20130104&...m-Bearcats]
UC held Pitt to just 27 points in the second half of Monday's win. / Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Written by
Bill Koch

One of the first orders of business for University of Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin as he prepared his team to face St. John’s Saturday was to remind his players what happened last year against the Red Storm.

UC had just come off a big win over Notre Dame only to have St. John’s show up at Fifth Third Arena and knock off the Bearcats 57-55 on a last-second tip-in by Moe Harkless.

“We came out flat and got caught sleeping,” Cronin said.

The 14th-ranked Bearcats (13-1 overall, 1-0 Big East) are coming off another big win, having won on the road at Pittsburgh last Monday, but this time they’re determined not to get caught napping when they face the Red Storm (8-5, 0-1) at 4p.m. at Fifth Third.

The best way to accomplish that is to execute better offensively in the first half than they have in recent games that they have won only because they were able to rally in the second half.

“We’ve just got to be more patient on offense to start games,” Cronin said. “That’s the answer. Our defense is not the problem. I think we’re impatient on the offensive end. When teams make us take our time it takes us a while to settle down and start to read the defense. We try to be too aggressive too early in the shot clock.”

The Bearcats were seven for 32 from 3-point range in the loss to St.John’s last year and fell behind by 15 points after a 21-3 run by the Red Storm to start the second half.

“We’re going to have to get the ball inside against their zone,” Cronin said. “We can’t come out and shoot 33 3s. Last year when we lost to them at home that was a big problem. We missed a lot of open shots but we settled too much.”

St.John’s is coming off a 98-86 overtime loss at Villanova on Wednesday in a game that saw sophomore guard D’Angelo Harrison score 36 points, the most by a St.John’s player since Lamont Hamilton scored 36 against Columbia on Dec.23, 2006.

Harrison leads the Big East in scoring with 22.1 points per game, but UC’s Sean Kilpatrick, who ranks fourth in the league with 18.6 points per game, says Harrison is just one of many capable players in the league.

“He’s a pretty good player,” Kilpatrick said. “That’s what happens in the Big East. You’re not going to get recruited to play in the Big East to be a stiff. Everyone in the Big East can play.”

Cronin was a little more effusive in his praise of Harrison, who was a member of the Big East all-rookie team last year and was a second-team preseason all-league pick this season.

“He was good last year,” Cronin said. “He’s better this year. He’s probably the best scorer in the Big East. He shoots it five feet behind the line with more comfort than anybody in the country that I’ve seen. He poses a lot of problems for you because he can score behind the line. He can go at the rim and he draws a lot of fouls. He’s got our attention, no doubt about it.”

St.John’s, which has lost three of its last five games, plays a zone defense, something the Bearcats haven’t faced very often this season and has the league’s leading shot blocker in center Chris Obekpa, who averages 5.3 blocks per game. Offensively, in addition to getting the ball to Harrison, the Red Storm looks to score in transition.

“We know that they like to run and they like to push the tempo just like we do,” Kilpatrick said. “But with us practicing that every day, we should be all right.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130...m-Bearcats

01-05-2013 03:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
RE: Cronin craves stronger starts from Bearcats
Captain Obvious. Don't we all.

01-05-2013 06:59 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
St. Johns isn't very good and lacks depth. We should be able to wear them down and run them out of the buidling...key word should

01-05-2013 09:11 AM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
I thought that SJU team from last year was pretty good, what happened to them? Harkless goto the NBA?

01-05-2013 10:49 AM
Advertisement

Bruce Monnin Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-05-2013 09:11 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  St. Johns isn't very good and lacks depth. We should be able to wear them down and run them out of the buidling...key word should

So ugly early .. Panic on the game thread .. St. John's wears down .. Bearcats storm ahead for the win .. Game thread fills with mocking of those who were panicky early.

01-05-2013 11:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcat_Bounce Offline
God Like Summoner

I Root For: Winners
(01-05-2013 10:49 AM)Bearcatbdub Wrote:  I thought that SJU team from last year was pretty good, what happened to them? Harkless goto the NBA?

Yes, he was drafted by the Sixers and traded to the Magic in the Dwight Howard deal.

01-05-2013 12:07 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Cronin craved a stronger start...guess he will continue to be starving; we had 24 pts at half

01-05-2013 08:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.