Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Huskie mascots
Bookmark and Share
pantone1935 Offline
All American

I Root For: huskies
Huskie mascots
Is there a list of Huskie mascots. Currently there is diesel and it seems like in the past there was a Tundra. Is there any historical listing. I know Georgia just numbers them and they are all called uga. ?????

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-04-2013 12:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Huskie mascots
One thing I do think is pretty great is how Butler has their mascots living with a university employee, so they're a presence on campus and can do appearances. Something I hope gets considered when Diesel is ready to retire. Diesel is such a star now, imagine years from now if the next one was basically on campus everyday.
01-04-2013 12:41 PM
NJTB Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
(01-04-2013 12:41 PM)DogTracks Wrote:  One thing I do think is pretty great is how Butler has their mascots living with a university employee, so they're a presence on campus and can do appearances. Something I hope gets considered when Diesel is ready to retire. Diesel is such a star now, imagine years from now if the next one was basically on campus everyday.

Not sure if there is historical listing. I remember Huskie Jr., who was some guy in a giant inflatable Huskie suit.

SI Vault took this photo:
[Image: A_yEsRSCIAAwO4q.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 01:33 PM by NJTB.)
01-04-2013 01:27 PM
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
(01-04-2013 01:27 PM)NJTB Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 12:41 PM)DogTracks Wrote:  One thing I do think is pretty great is how Butler has their mascots living with a university employee, so they're a presence on campus and can do appearances. Something I hope gets considered when Diesel is ready to retire. Diesel is such a star now, imagine years from now if the next one was basically on campus everyday.

Not sure if there is historical listing. I remember Huskie Jr., who was some guy in a giant inflatable Huskie suit.

Ha ha...I really like this pic! Would be fun to have it as an 8 x 10 for our Huskie wall of fame.
01-05-2013 08:06 PM
pjfleck82 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, XFL 2001
If there was a Heisman for mascots, it'd be Diesel's to lose!
01-08-2013 05:01 PM
UnknownScout Offline
2nd String

One of the guy's at Adopt a Husky is already talking to NIU about having his dog as the next mascot, and I know they come out and bring some of the foster's to the Soldier Field games, so that's probably a solid lead on who'll be the next mascot. I'd use my contacts with the Alumni Association and bring my dog out, but she's a red and white.
01-08-2013 05:21 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Is this a contract year for Diesel or something?
01-08-2013 05:46 PM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
(01-08-2013 05:21 PM)UnknownScout Wrote:  One of the guy's at Adopt a Husky is already talking to NIU about having his dog as the next mascot, and I know they come out and bring some of the foster's to the Soldier Field games, so that's probably a solid lead on who'll be the next mascot. I'd use my contacts with the Alumni Association and bring my dog out, but she's a red and white.

we've had red and whites. back in the 90's o the astroturf. They would push victor E out in the doghouse and there was a pack of rescue huskies on the filed with him. There was no "single" mascot at the time. was kinda cool having a half dozen of so hitting the field. Of course those were normal Huskies and about half the size of Diesel.
01-08-2013 05:51 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

How did Diesel get his/her name?
01-08-2013 06:10 PM
HuskieHussy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU, Da Bears
(01-04-2013 01:27 PM)NJTB Wrote:  [quote='DogTracks' pid='8787735' dateline='1357321303']

can we get a link for this???? i can't find it! :(
01-09-2013 11:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
One step weirder (actually half a dozen) than Georgia is Texas A&M who has a graveyard for their mascot dogs with its own scoreboard displaying the score of the game.

Things doesn't get more batsh*t than they do at Texas A&M
01-09-2013 01:02 PM
Advertisement

pjfleck82 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, XFL 2001
Surprised the Booyah's didn't show Diesel once during the Orange Bowl. You saw him from a far when the team was running out at the start and when that guy caught the TD at the end of the first half, but otherwise no closeups of Diesel.
01-09-2013 01:21 PM
DoubleHuskie84 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N I U
(01-09-2013 11:40 AM)HuskieHussy Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 01:27 PM)NJTB Wrote:  [quote='DogTracks' pid='8787735' dateline='1357321303']

can we get a link for this???? i can't find it! :(

Right click on it and view image info....
01-09-2013 01:59 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
(01-09-2013 01:21 PM)pjfleck82 Wrote:  Surprised the Booyah's didn't show Diesel once during the Orange Bowl. You saw him from a far when the team was running out at the start and when that guy caught the TD at the end of the first half, but otherwise no closeups of Diesel.

That surprised me as well. Usually, they can't get enough of Diesel. I guess Herbie didn't want Diesel there, either. 04-chairshot
01-09-2013 05:05 PM
NIUCheerDad Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-08-2013 06:10 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  How did Diesel get his/her name?

Diesel was adopted from Free Spirit (huskyrescue.org).
His original name was Demon but they changed it to Diesel as they thought nobody would adopt him with that name. The 2 names are so close to each other sound wish.

Diesel fits him. He pulls like a diesel truck. HuskieBob has a picture from the Kent State game back in 2008 (I think that was the year) where Diesel is pulling a cheerleader who is on a saucer as the field was covered in snow. That pic is priceless.
01-09-2013 06:39 PM
NIU75 Offline
All American

(01-09-2013 06:39 PM)NIUCheerDad Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 06:10 PM)NIU75 Wrote:  How did Diesel get his/her name?

Diesel was adopted from Free Spirit (huskyrescue.org).
His original name was Demon but they changed it to Diesel as they thought nobody would adopt him with that name. The 2 names are so close to each other sound wish.

Diesel fits him. He pulls like a diesel truck. HuskieBob has a picture from the Kent State game back in 2008 (I think that was the year) where Diesel is pulling a cheerleader who is on a saucer as the field was covered in snow. That pic is priceless.
Thanks for the info. and all your hard work. My kids love Diesel. I hope HuskieBob can post the picture for us
01-09-2013 06:53 PM
Advertisement

niuaccy1976 Offline
1st String

New animal shelter 
focusing on huskies

An animal shelter dedicated to the needs of huskies is now open and ready to serve.

Interesting story in the Chronicle...

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/2013/01/0...s/a6g8aje/
01-10-2013 09:42 AM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(01-08-2013 05:46 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Is this a contract year for Diesel or something?

Diesel's already 9. His Mascottin' days are approaching an end and virtually everyone likes the idea of a live dog as the mascot opposed to just Victor E.

I'm glad to hear that there could be a future mascot in the pipeline. It's a heck of an undertaking to haul the dog everywhere, finding pet-friendly hotels (NIU has helped out with that), and driving to virtually every Huskie road game, no matter how batsh*t far away it is.

Just getting in or out of the stadium with Diesel is a chore because everyone in attendance wants to pet or take a picture with him.

NIUCheerDad has put up with a ton of inconvenience over the years so the rest of us could enjoy Diesel. When he's ready, he deserves the chance to just tailgate and sit in the seats like everyone else.
01-10-2013 03:35 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-10-2013 03:35 PM)cawoo22 Wrote:  
(01-08-2013 05:46 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Is this a contract year for Diesel or something?

Diesel's already 9. His Mascottin' days are approaching an end and virtually everyone likes the idea of a live dog as the mascot opposed to just Victor E.

I'm glad to hear that there could be a future mascot in the pipeline. It's a heck of an undertaking to haul the dog everywhere, finding pet-friendly hotels (NIU has helped out with that), and driving to virtually every Huskie road game, no matter how batsh*t far away it is.

Just getting in or out of the stadium with Diesel is a chore because everyone in attendance wants to pet or take a picture with him.

NIUCheerDad has put up with a ton of inconvenience over the years so the rest of us could enjoy Diesel. When he's ready, he deserves the chance to just tailgate and sit in the seats like everyone else.

01-ncaabbs
01-10-2013 03:38 PM
Huskiefan38 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies!!!
Don't forget about spirit the Huskie... I used to have nightmares about that thing
01-10-2013 03:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.