Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Where is the insider info on USM?
Bookmark and Share
USM Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM | UCI
Where is the insider info on USM?
I'm seeing this and that about maybe USM is on the radar for the Big East and maybe there's something else in the works with the MWC and CUSA but it all seems scattered.

What are the true USM insiders hearing about the direction of the school with regards to conference realignment?

In the end, does the MWC and CUSA finalize the alliance and pick off some nBE schools or does the flagship CUSA school (remaining) USM jump ship to the nBE to form nCUSA?

I need info!
01-04-2013 11:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eagleriffic Offline
King of the Wicker People!

I Root For: Southern Miss
RE: Where is the insider info on USM?
I hate to say it but i think we are stuck here. Id love to see us back with some of our former mates or to the more stable mtn west but for now we are stuck.
01-04-2013 11:07 AM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
You had to sell a home game just to buy out a coach. I doubt you'd want to sell 5 or 6 more to pay exit and entry fees.
01-04-2013 11:08 AM
SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

(01-04-2013 11:03 AM)USM Wrote:  I'm seeing this and that about maybe USM is on the radar for the Big East and maybe there's something else in the works with the MWC and CUSA but it all seems scattered.

What are the true USM insiders hearing about the direction of the school with regards to conference realignment?

In the end, does the MWC and CUSA finalize the alliance and pick off some nBE schools or does the flagship CUSA school (remaining) USM jump ship to the nBE to form nCUSA?

I need info!

I am not an insider but I know this about USM from my days there, and the media in the area. USM isn't going to say much unless they have something they want out, and frankly, until someone makes an overture of a very serious nature, USM is going to act as if there is no news. Right now, I doubt there is any and I just take it, at this time USM is thinking C-USA for 2013 and beyond since nothing else is on the tabe YET.
01-04-2013 11:09 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(01-04-2013 11:08 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  You had to sell a home game just to buy out a coach. I doubt you'd want to sell 5 or 6 more to pay exit and entry fees.

I don't think the exit fee would be much.. The entry might would be the tough one to cover.
01-04-2013 11:23 AM
USM Offline
2nd String

I Root For: USM | UCI
(01-04-2013 11:23 AM)gdunn Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 11:08 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  You had to sell a home game just to buy out a coach. I doubt you'd want to sell 5 or 6 more to pay exit and entry fees.

I don't think the exit fee would be much.. The entry might would be the tough one to cover.

I would think we'd have boosters to cover this fee if it was that good for the program though, no? (ninja edit) I think the entry fee is actually paid as a deduction from the media contract in many cases as well.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 11:30 AM by USM.)
01-04-2013 11:29 AM
Advertisement

SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

If Gen. Hammond saw that the move would mean financial sense, he would get the money, but several things first, one is where is the invite? Two, since no invite (as is known of) we don't know the terms and conditions, so the validity of the move is not a known factor. Just speculation right now and just more food for the rumor mills and talk shows.
01-04-2013 11:41 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
Wouldn't Southern Miss want to be proactive in getting out of Conf USA? Their football profile is much closer to what is in the BE right now. IMO, the BE taking Southern Miss would big a blow to Conf USA. Do you think most Southern Miss fans would want your AD to be on the phone looking to get out?
01-04-2013 11:43 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

(01-04-2013 11:43 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  Their football profile

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to matter much.
01-04-2013 11:48 AM
eagleriffic Offline

I will also add that i believe the General is doing what he can to better our situation conference wise.
01-04-2013 11:50 AM
SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

(01-04-2013 11:43 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  Wouldn't Southern Miss want to be proactive in getting out of Conf USA? Their football profile is much closer to what is in the BE right now. IMO, the BE taking Southern Miss would big a blow to Conf USA. Do you think most Southern Miss fans would want your AD to be on the phone looking to get out?

I imagine the General is keeping an eye on things, but if you don't get invited, you don't join for sure.
01-04-2013 11:54 AM
Advertisement

RowdyRoost Offline
Special Teams

(01-04-2013 11:43 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  Wouldn't Southern Miss want to be proactive in getting out of Conf USA? Their football profile is much closer to what is in the BE right now. IMO, the BE taking Southern Miss would big a blow to Conf USA. Do you think most Southern Miss fans would want your AD to be on the phone looking to get out?

If the the Big East was an AQ conference... then yes, we'd want out of C-USA and into the Big East ASAP. That's what we've always wanted and felt like we deserved... a seat at the table. Now that the Big East has lost its seat... it's just not looking desirable. I see it as getting an invitation to remain in C-USA... so obviously, there's not much excitement on our end.

There were only a few teams I really enjoyed playing... Houston and ECU are examples of those. I could care less to play Tulane or Memphis again. Football-wise, I'd rather play La Tech and Middle Tennessee than those two.

Everybody has concerns about these FCS schools moving up into C-USA. However, it's not like this is something new. I remember when USF was invited to C-USA. I thought it was a ridiculous move. USF proved to be a decent program. I think Old Dominion, Charlotte, and UTSA very well may do the same.

So, for us USM fans... sure, as a whole, we'd rather play with teams we've played against historically. But, its not the end of the world if we stay in C-USA. Both conferences will have the same access. I doubt the money will be greatly different... but I do think the Big East will bring in more TV money.

What I want is a seat at the table. I know it's the longest of shots... but I want us in the Big 12.
01-04-2013 12:56 PM
EagleProf Offline
2nd String

I for one would be very excited about joining the nBE (or CUSA 2.0). Especially if Tulsa came along, with Southern Miss the nBE would be on par with the nMWC (even with BYU) and every other "mid-major" conference would be a far distant third tier. That's the way it once was. If Southern Miss and Tulsa stays in CUSA, the MWC would be the sole 2nd tier conference and everybody else would be part of the third tier. That's not good for the nBE or Southern Miss. Further, and most importantly, we belong with those schools more than a mega-conference half of which are upstarts or sunbelt teams. We have history with Cincy, ECU, Memphis and Tulane as well as UCF and USF. I like La Tech, but that's the only addition to CUSA that has added any luster to the Southern Miss schedule. The rest of the teams will generate less fan interest. Plus, not only would the football be better (better bowl tie-ins, better fan interest/enthusiasm, better rivalries, solid history/tradition, better tv deals/exposure) but basketball and baseball would be far superior too. Southern Miss fans need to swallow some pride and just admit the obvious. As a fan, you want to be in a conference where you love schools and hate schools, not one where you couldn't care less.

One more thing. Forget the BCS. College football is as much about the regular season and bowl season as it is about 5 big bowls. Besides, as we know, every conference is treated the same now anyways, so look to other factors (like those I just mentioned) and clearly Southern Miss in the nBE is a better more exciting deal for us.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 01:48 PM by EagleProf.)
01-04-2013 01:47 PM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston

FWIW--The nBE entry fee is 2.5 million. It is paid 500K a season over 5 years. Assuming the nBE contract pays at least 1.5 million a team, then financially, the S Miss budget would be unchanged. I think the CUSA exit fee is 500K, but it might be higher---seems to be differing opinions on that.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 01:56 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-04-2013 01:55 PM
cyc46 Offline
Eagle for Life!

Once again, here you go: Southern Miss is not worried with the Big East. Why in the world would we pay a ton of money just to play teams like ECU Houston SMU Tulane UCF USF and Memphis? They never helped fill our stadium before, they will not in the future. Southern Miss right now, for the first time in a while is worried with improving Southern Miss. We have a financial mess we have to clean up. There are plans in place to get this done this year and to eventually increase our athletic budget to the 30 million dollar range. I have also heard of upgrades to Reed Green and a major renovation to the way the Eagle Club is handled. Contrary to what every NBE poster will have you believe they arent going to get much more than CUSA. Our best bet is to stay here and build ourselves up and bid our time.
01-04-2013 02:07 PM
cyc46 Offline
Eagle for Life!

(01-04-2013 01:55 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

FWIW--The nBE entry fee is 2.5 million. It is paid 500K a season over 5 years. Assuming the nBE contract pays at least 1.5 million a team, then financially, the S Miss budget would be unchanged. I think the CUSA exit fee is 500K, but it might be higher---seems to be differing opinions on that.

No the NBE opinion is that its 500k, the fact stated by our associate comissioner and the fund the athletic directors of the departing schools put together to cover the fees says otherwise.
01-04-2013 02:08 PM
Advertisement

eagleriffic Offline

(01-04-2013 02:07 PM)cyc46 Wrote:  Once again, here you go: Southern Miss is not worried with the Big East. Why in the world would we pay a ton of money just to play teams like ECU Houston SMU Tulane UCF USF and Memphis? They never helped fill our stadium before, they will not in the future. Southern Miss right now, for the first time in a while is worried with improving Southern Miss. We have a financial mess we have to clean up. There are plans in place to get this done this year and to eventually increase our athletic budget to the 30 million dollar range. I have also heard of upgrades to Reed Green and a major renovation to the way the Eagle Club is handled. Contrary to what every NBE poster will have you believe they arent going to get much more than CUSA. Our best bet is to stay here and build ourselves up and bid our time.

The problem is mtsu, la tech & some of the others arnt going to fill our stadium anymore than tulane or memphis did. The issue would be will we have more fans come see us vs memphis or us vs mtsu? while most ppl will say "true fans will see us play no.matter who it is" & while that is true we have to go after those who are more casual fans who are looking to spend their entertainment dollars. Memphis is more recognizable to the casual south mississippi/hattiesburg resident than a mtsu & the same with tulane, houston & so on
01-04-2013 02:41 PM
So Miss Eagle Offline
Water Engineer

(01-04-2013 02:07 PM)cyc46 Wrote:  Our best bet is to stay here and build ourselves up and bid our time.

I couldn't possibly disagree with this more. Bidding our time in nCUSA will result in (more) fan apathy and horrible recruiting. The only smart move now, no matter how watered down it has become, is to get into the nBE. Just MHO.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 02:43 PM by So Miss Eagle.)
01-04-2013 02:43 PM
Luckyshot Offline
Heisman

(01-04-2013 02:43 PM)So Miss Eagle Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 02:07 PM)cyc46 Wrote:  Our best bet is to stay here and build ourselves up and bid our time.

I couldn't possibly disagree with this more. Bidding our time in nCUSA will result in (more) fan apathy and horrible recruiting. The only smart move now, no matter how watered down it has become, is to get into the nBE. Just MHO.

Smrt move would be to try and get in the MtW's East side at this point.
01-04-2013 05:08 PM
SgtGoldenEagle Offline
Special Teams

Like I have said before, there is no invitation at this time so all is just opinions and theories. What is clear at this point in time is USM is in C-USA and will be unless something changes and those changes must be guaranteed, apparently benefitual to USM and it's future growth. Sure some thinks moving would cure a lot but with my training I have in Sports Admin and Coaching at USM (which trained us to be ADs as well as coaches), you have to look at the overall picture and see what is the best move. You might think the teams you are going to be playing would be a given increase, but if you don't win the conference, what bowls are tied in for you? What TV money and conference shared money will you get? Just a whole lot of different things and the point you might think is the most attractive might not be what you thought.

I don't know Gen. Hammond but I do remember him as a player at USM and always thought he was a heady guy. I trust him and so far I think he is making some good plans, so I trust him to make the right call.
01-04-2013 05:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.