Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Why would we want to play UT in football?
Bookmark and Share
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
Why would we want to play UT in football?
If they want BB only, why not? Memphis should be beating their azz most every year.

In football, the Tigers get killed and the LB is about 40% orange.

And don't say $$$, because Memphis gets a crap deal on the revenue split.
01-04-2013 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Why would we want to play UT in football?
Money, interest, and exposure. Questions?
01-04-2013 10:18 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
Is it a great time to be a Tiger or what?
01-04-2013 10:19 AM
missjtiger Offline
KOKO'S MOMMA/D.J.'S MOMS
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

Crappies
:grumpy:
01-04-2013 10:21 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
Money and the outside shot at a 1996-esque upset.

On the same note, we could ask why would we want to play them in basketball.
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(01-04-2013 10:18 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Money, interest, and exposure. Questions?

Interest?

The last UT/Memphis game at the LB drew 39,742.

A 2-6 Tennessee team scored 50 points in a row to win 50-14.

You want that exposure?
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
First off, No we don't. We get our gate, they get theirs. Our gate of $50 tickets X 55,000 to 60,000 = $2.75 million for one game, minimum.
Secondly, this is not the same Tenn team from the 80s and 90s.
Thirdly, if we want to be big boys, we've got to PLAY the big boys, not run from them like a whinny little b!tch.
Fourthly, HOPEFULLY, this is not going to be the same Tigers team from the 90s and 00s (sans DW years).
01-04-2013 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(01-04-2013 10:21 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 10:18 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  Money, interest, and exposure. Questions?

Interest?

You want that exposure?

New sheriff in town, anybody, anywhere, anytime. But if you schedule us again, don't jack us around.
01-04-2013 10:23 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
(01-04-2013 10:21 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  

Interest?

You want that exposure?

Big shat. Memphis has been getting beat by 40 the last three years prior to Fuente. And claiming that about 40,000 (which was low for TN/Memphis) is a shame than you haven't been paying attention of late.
01-04-2013 10:24 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-04-2013 10:22 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  First off, No we don't. We get our gate, they get theirs. Our gate of $50 tickets X 55,000 to 60,000 = $2.75 million for one game, minimum.
Secondly, this is not the same Tenn team from the 80s and 90s.
Thirdly, if we want to be big boys, we've got to PLAY the big boys, not run from them like a whinny little b!tch.
Fourthly, HOPEFULLY, this is not going to be the same Tigers team from the 90s and 00s (sans DW years).

04-rock
01-04-2013 10:25 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(01-04-2013 10:21 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  Money and the outside shot at a 1996-esque upset.

Because Memphis should beat them almost every year. It is a chance to "show" them and the state to the Top Dog is in basketball. UT is going to be rough the next couple years in bball. Outside of Stokes and Hubbs, Martin has brought in slaw, and there is no indication he can pull great players on a consistent basis.

Most high level kids don't want to go to a school that drops 36 points in a game. So, Memphis should be able to run at least three or four more games off without a loss.

Football is different, especially in the way how much one loss can hurt and even in UTk's lean years they were still beating Memphis.
01-04-2013 10:26 AM
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
(01-04-2013 10:15 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  And don't say $$$, because Memphis gets a crap deal on the revenue split.

Are you sure about that? I thought that Memphis keeps 100% of the ticket revenue when they play at the Liberty Bowl. Ut keeps the ticket revenue when the game is at Neyland.

We sell our UT tickets for $50 each and usually sell about 60k tickets.

That is $3 Million in ticket revenue for a single home game. That is probably more than our total ticket revenue for ALL of last season
01-04-2013 10:29 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(01-04-2013 10:22 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  First off, No we don't. We get our gate, they get theirs. Our gate of $50 tickets X 55,000 to 60,000 = $2.75 million for one game, minimum.

Again, that is the BAD part. They should SPLIT the h/h gates.

And, as posted above, the last game in Memphis drew 39,742.

(01-04-2013 10:22 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Secondly, this is not the same Tenn team from the 80s and 90s.

Last three games: Tenn won 50-14, 56-28 and 40-14 (two of those in Memphis).

(01-04-2013 10:22 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Thirdly, if we want to be big boys, we've got to PLAY the big boys, not run from them like a whinny little b!tch.

Well, Memphis already has UCLA, Missouri, Kansas among others on the schedule (and a better conference than CUSA).
01-04-2013 10:31 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-04-2013 10:26 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 10:21 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  Money and the outside shot at a 1996-esque upset.

Because Memphis should beat them almost every year. It is a chance to "show" them and the state to the Top Dog is in basketball. UT is going to be rough the next couple years in bball. Outside of Stokes and Hubbs, Martin has brought in slaw, and there is no indication he can pull great players on a consistent basis.

Most high level kids don't want to go to a school that drops 36 points in a game. So, Memphis should be able to run at least three or four more games off without a loss.

Football is different, especially in the way how much one loss can hurt and even in UTk's lean years they were still beating Memphis.

Bruce Pearl had some damn good UT squads, and the jury is out on Counzo, but I don't get the "we should beat them every year" argument:

First, there are tons of teams we should beat every year. That's not a reason to schedule them. This game is special because the rivalry makes it fun. Same with football.

Second, we obviously have a problem beating them every year.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 10:39 AM by MemphisCanes.)
01-04-2013 10:36 AM
TigerLogic Offline
@MarionTiger

I Root For: The Gringo
I don't want to play the SEC in anything. They don't draw in Memphis like they used to.

I want to quit the back burner in SEC country mentality and start playing ACC, Big 12, and Big 10 schools. That's not running from competition, that's trying to make a change since the last 50 years of playing SEC schools hasn't done anything for us other than a little gate money sometimes. I don't think it is worth it anymore. Let's start thinking bigger. We can't get away from being in SEC country, but we can quit focusing on seeing it that way.

If Arkansas State can get Purdue and Nebraska, then so can we. I would think we would actually have more to offer. We can offer a basketball/football trade with some of these Big 5 schools.

Let's build more relationships with schools outside the SEC footprint (which is untouchable for us anyway...)

You know, even when we beat Ole Miss, UT, or MSU, the series is so skewed, we can't get excited or brag anyway. What is the point of continuing that? SEC football isn't a rivalry... we haven't won enough for it to be a rivalry. Let's build ourselves up and come back to the SEC when it is a more even playing field. And if don't you think it isn't even, look at the coaching staff Arkansas just bought.

Just my minority opinion, I know already...
01-04-2013 10:36 AM
IRISHMO120 Offline
All American

Don't say Money....Thats funny,why else would you do it...kindly bring some financial facts when you come back to refute..audited not SWAG estimates.
01-04-2013 10:37 AM
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(01-04-2013 10:37 AM)IRISHMO120 Wrote:  Don't say Money....Thats funny,why else would you do it...kindly bring some financial facts when you come back to refute..audited not SWAG estimates.

What I am saying is that "best case" is Memphis keeps their gate from the 60K LB and UT keeps their gate from 100K Neyland. Negotiate a split of revenues.

Football is a sport where you CAN replace a game for a game. You don't think there won't be 50K+ at the UCLA game?

Also, isn't one of the benefits of playing in the BE that the conference revenues will be greater, thus reducing the need to schedule beatdown for a payday?
01-04-2013 10:46 AM
MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-04-2013 10:46 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 10:37 AM)IRISHMO120 Wrote:  Don't say Money....Thats funny,why else would you do it...kindly bring some financial facts when you come back to refute..audited not SWAG estimates.

What I am saying is that "best case" is Memphis keeps their gate from the 60K LB and UT keeps their gate from 100K Neyland. Negotiate a split of revenues.

Football is a sport where you CAN replace a game for a game. You don't think there won't be 50K+ at the UCLA game?

Also, isn't one of the benefits of playing in the BE that the conference revenues will be greater, thus reducing the need to schedule beatdown for a payday?

10 years ago it wasn't a sure beatdown. Iremember somewhere in 2001-2004 UT barely got out of a packed Liberty Bowl with their skin. Going into the BE with more football support, it's not outlandish to think that future games between UT and Memphis can be competitive. We can't beat top teams if we don't play top teams.
01-04-2013 10:49 AM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(01-04-2013 10:31 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  

Again, that is the BAD part. They should SPLIT the h/h gates.

And, as posted above, the last game in Memphis drew 39,742.

(01-04-2013 10:22 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Secondly, this is not the same Tenn team from the 80s and 90s.

Last three games: Tenn won 50-14, 56-28 and 40-14 (two of those in Memphis).

(01-04-2013 10:22 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Thirdly, if we want to be big boys, we've got to PLAY the big boys, not run from them like a whinny little b!tch.

Well, Memphis already has UCLA, Missouri, Kansas among others on the schedule (and a better conference than CUSA).

1) Nobody does that in our situation. We are lucky to get straight up home and homes with BCS teams. You have to take advantage of every one of those you can.

2) That game was an anomaly. We were 1-7 going into that game. The TN fans knew it was a forgone conclusion they would win, and so did we. I'm shocked the attendance was THAT high.
01-04-2013 10:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(01-04-2013 10:36 AM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 10:26 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  

Bruce Pearl had some damn good UT squads, and the jury is out on Counzo, but I don't get the "we should beat them every year" argument:

First, there are tons of teams we should beat every year. That's not a reason to schedule them. This game is special because the rivalry makes it fun. Same with football.

Second, we obviously have a problem beating them every year.

I'm just looking at the forseeable future.

Next year the Vols lose McBee, Miller and Hall. Perhaps Stokes. Not sure if Maymon will come back, and if he does I have heard he is really limited with his knees.

UT brings in Hubbs. They beat out the likes of Auburn, Charleston and UTEP for AJ Davis and signed another 3* PG. Last year's recruits (minus stokes) were all 3* and the two that are healthy are averaging 3.1 ppg and 1.7 ppg.

Next year, Golden and Mcrae are gone.

Meanwhile, Memphis is bringing in talent every year. The game would be in Memphis next year ( likely win) so then next game in Knoxville would be a team with only Cuonzo players (Hubbs and a bunch of 3*). Memphis' 2014 isn't terribly deep, so unless Leron goes to UTk there isn't much to worry about.

If Memphis wins tonight, there is a good chance that the Tigers could be in the middle of a streak that should play out to 6+ wins in a row.
01-04-2013 10:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.