Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2013 Needs
Bookmark and Share
niufb83 Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
2013 Needs
1st , I had an awesome time in Miami and it is definitely something I will never forget. My wife and I had an absolute blast! I was a proud man walking around Miami for a couple of days with Huskie gear on! Even prouder when I walked into the stadium.

I think the mismatch up front was certainly evident against FSU, but I think a place that we need to improve to have any shot against teams like FSU is Wide Receiver and in particular, the size of those receivers. We need a big , physical kid that can go toe to toe with physical corners and win jump balls. We have some really good receivers, but all of them are prototypical inside and slot receivers. It is hard to get big receivers due to that type of guy being at a premium, but I think if we had one or two, our offense takes on a whole new dimension.

Just a thought.
01-03-2013 10:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
RE: 2013 Needs
DT Brian Canoy and LB Austin Smaha from the 2012 recruiting class are now listed in NIU's student directory so they should be joining the team for spring ball.
01-04-2013 12:39 AM
MrSaturdayMorning Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Big Northern
(01-03-2013 10:19 PM)niufb83 Wrote:  We need a big , physical kid that can go toe to toe with physical corners and win jump balls. We have some really good receivers, but all of them are prototypical inside and slot receivers. It is hard to get big receivers due to that type of guy being at a premium, but I think if we had one or two, our offense takes on a whole new dimension.

Just a thought.

It'd be great to get some of those 6'2"+ receivers who can grab jump balls, but as you said, really tall receivers who have also demonstrated FBS potential are tough to come by, as many of them go to AQ conference programs. However, there are still some tall receivers playing for FCS programs, and a program of NIU's caliber should certainly be able to make a play on some of them. We would just need to trust in our ability to coach them up, since many of them may be in FCS because AQs and even some FBS mid-majors may have passed them up for a reason (which doesn't necessarily mean they're bad, as some of them actually become NFL prospects). At that point, if it turns out they're just not that good, you may find yourself dropping a scholarship on a player who has size, but just can't compete at the FBS level.
01-04-2013 01:38 AM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
I'd like the NIU offense to be less read-option dependent. NOT saying get rid of it, but if NIU used some real RB's and other formations more often, I think the offense might be even more potent.
01-04-2013 02:05 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(01-04-2013 12:39 AM)NIU1981 Wrote:  DT Brian Canoy and LB Austin Smaha from the 2012 recruiting class are now listed in NIU's student directory so they should be joining the team for spring ball.

We knew that Canoy was grey shirting but we thought we lost Smaha to grades. Good news!
01-04-2013 10:21 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-04-2013 02:05 AM)The Frisky Biscuit Wrote:  I'd like the NIU offense to be less read-option dependent. NOT saying get rid of it, but if NIU used some real RB's and other formations more often, I think the offense might be even more potent.

FORD

Move him back to RB!
01-04-2013 10:22 AM
Advertisement

bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(01-03-2013 10:19 PM)niufb83 Wrote:  I think a place that we need to improve to have any shot against teams like FSU is Wide Receiver and in particular, the size of those receivers. Just a thought.

It is always good to have tall, talented wide receivers. However the receivers on this year's team were outstanding. Montel Moore got behind the FSU defense on more than one occasion, Jordan Lynch just had a bad night and did not put the ball on him.

I think that Lynch just had a bad game which is understandable when you are running for your life and getting tackled by 300 pound plus behemoths. Man if he had just hit one or two deep balls it could have made for an even more interesting night. As it was we were in the game for 3+ quarters so I can't complain and Lynch is still one of my all time favorite Huskies.
01-04-2013 01:18 PM
niucyberdawg Offline
1st String

maybe Hurd has some younger relatives....

(sarcasm intended)
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 01:21 PM by niucyberdawg.)
01-04-2013 01:21 PM
niusfactuary Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU,Cubs,Bears

DonatorsSurvivor Runner-up
(01-04-2013 01:18 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  
(01-03-2013 10:19 PM)niufb83 Wrote:  I think a place that we need to improve to have any shot against teams like FSU is Wide Receiver and in particular, the size of those receivers. Just a thought.

It is always good to have tall, talented wide receivers. However the receivers on this year's team were outstanding. Montel Moore got behind the FSU defense on more than one occasion, Jordan Lynch just had a bad night and did not put the ball on him.

I think that Lynch just had a bad game which is understandable when you are running for your life and getting tackled by 300 pound plus behemoths. Man if he had just hit one or two deep balls it could have made for an even more interesting night. As it was we were in the game for 3+ quarters so I can't complain and Lynch is still one of my all time favorite Huskies.

I hope Montel Moore gets recognized by Jiff Comphers for the great season he had.
01-04-2013 01:38 PM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
Mmmmmm...Jiff Comphers.....
01-04-2013 02:07 PM
Turner4Heisman Offline
1st String

(01-04-2013 01:21 PM)niucyberdawg Wrote:  maybe Hurd has some younger relatives....

(sarcasm intended)

Funny you mention that, the birdman is the first person I thought of when reading the first few posts. He was the closest we have had I think to a tall dominant receiver in the last 10 years.

Hurd was listed from what I found at 6'3" and McCareins at 6'2". For some reason I thought McCareins was taller.
01-04-2013 02:33 PM
Advertisement

cartershaw Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, UT
(01-04-2013 01:38 PM)niusfactuary Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 01:18 PM)bikechuck Wrote:  

I hope Montel Moore gets recognized by Jiff Comphers for the great season he had.
03-lmfao
01-04-2013 02:47 PM
cartershaw Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, UT
(01-04-2013 02:33 PM)Turner4Heisman Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 01:21 PM)niucyberdawg Wrote:  maybe Hurd has some younger relatives....

(sarcasm intended)

Funny you mention that, the birdman is the first person I thought of when reading the first few posts. He was the closest we have had I think to a tall dominant receiver in the last 10 years.

Hurd was listed from what I found at 6'3" and McCareins at 6'2". For some reason I thought McCareins was taller.

Brescacin(sp?) is listed at 6'4" i thought..

Would have liked to see more TE involvement.
01-04-2013 02:48 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-04-2013 02:48 PM)cartershaw Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 02:33 PM)Turner4Heisman Wrote:  

(sarcasm intended)

Brescacin(sp?) is listed at 6'4" i thought..

Would have liked to see more TE involvement.
I pronounce his name as Canada
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 02:55 PM by HuskieJohn.)
01-04-2013 02:54 PM
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
Nice tall receivers yes...but we also need somebody who can really step up in the RB position. Coach Novak mentioned that when we spoke at the airport.
And that's weird to say after all those years of being running back U...
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 07:43 PM by HuskieFootball Addict.)
01-05-2013 07:42 PM
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
(01-04-2013 01:38 AM)MrSaturdayMorning Wrote:  
(01-03-2013 10:19 PM)niufb83 Wrote:  We need a big , physical kid that can go toe to toe with physical corners and win jump balls. We have some really good receivers, but all of them are prototypical inside and slot receivers. It is hard to get big receivers due to that type of guy being at a premium, but I think if we had one or two, our offense takes on a whole new dimension.

Just a thought.

It'd be great to get some of those 6'2"+ receivers who can grab jump balls, but as you said, really tall receivers who have also demonstrated FBS potential are tough to come by, as many of them go to AQ conference programs. However, there are still some tall receivers playing for FCS programs, and a program of NIU's caliber should certainly be able to make a play on some of them. We would just need to trust in our ability to coach them up, since many of them may be in FCS because AQs and even some FBS mid-majors may have passed them up for a reason (which doesn't necessarily mean they're bad, as some of them actually become NFL prospects). At that point, if it turns out they're just not that good, you may find yourself dropping a scholarship on a player who has size, but just can't compete at the FBS level.

Did you make this "orange peel" Huskie? It's way cool!
01-05-2013 07:43 PM
Advertisement

bigdhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu, bears
(01-05-2013 07:42 PM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  Nice tall receivers yes...but we also need somebody who can really step up in the RB position. Coach Novak mentioned that when we spoke at the airport.
And that's weird to say after all those years of being running back U...

Absolutely....gotta get stronger at RB position. maybe Bowers or Ford can step up. who else is projected at RB next season?
Agree w/ earlier post, Lynch had some opptys on pass plays, just didn't execute
01-05-2013 10:55 PM
cagy cager Offline
1st String

McCareins may have been taller, turner, but Hurd was higher.
01-05-2013 11:04 PM
MrSaturdayMorning Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Big Northern
(01-05-2013 07:43 PM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  Did you make this "orange peel" Huskie? It's way cool!

Thanks; yeah, I made it the day we got the "official" announcement. :)
01-06-2013 12:13 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
We need someone who can recruit like Jerry Kill was able to, otherwise next season will be the last hoorah in a longtime.
NIU after Novak recruited great coaches who kept the winning tradition alive. Why did we not hire a young hotshot assistant from a great program who can recruit?
Has NIU taken winning for granted? I hope not.
01-06-2013 01:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.