Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

A few observations I had from the ORU and Loyola games.
Bookmark and Share
mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

I Root For: Memphis
MyBB A few observations I had from the ORU and Loyola games.
I was in the student section, row B, for both the Oral Roberts and Loyola games ... so here is a synopsis of what I saw:

1) CC is struggling, and struggling bad
2) Joe Jackson has stepped it up BIG time. I think the switch from him to the "2" has benefited him, even though he runs the point during the game, at points.
3) DJ Stephens is just simply amazing. The effort he gives on the court is ridiculous. He is the crowd favorite and gets the loudest ovations, and now that he's in the starting lineup, man - the crowd just gets crazy loud when he is announced. His dunks are worth the price of admission.
4) My favorite player on the team - Geron Johnson. Why? Dude plays with a fire; you can see it in his eyes and he gets under the opposition and sometimes even the ref's skin. I remember the ref during the Oral Roberts game gave "number 55" a warning and GJ was like "Whaaa?" But, I knew he earned that one, haha. One of our players got knocked down and the Oral Roberts player was trying to help him back up, but GJ was already there and kind of gave the Oral Roberts player a little push - not a biggie, but just a good nudge in which the ref had to intervene.
5) Coach is just plain coach - stomping all around, clapping, showing the flash cards, etc. The closest I heard to him yelling an obscenity was when he yelled "Godddddddddd Dangggggggggit"
6) Damien Wilson - man, what a revelation off the bench. He is going to be fun to watch for the next 3 years.
7) Shaq Goodwin - such a beast for a freshman. Him and Damien are going to be great next year with the folks we have coming in. Shaq needs to get more rebounds though.
8) Antonio Barton - he is our silent assassin. As Pete Gillen would say "Tough as Nails". I believe he led the team in points scored during the Oral Roberts game and then he played good in the Loyola game - and everyone remembers that tumble he had out of bounds. The FEF was crazy quiet.
9) Tarik Black - couldn't watch him play because of the groin injury, but he did cheer on his teammates.
10) Adonis Thomas - he is another one that is struggling. I don't know what it is either, the kid has got the moves and is getting to the rim with that back-to-the-basket move, but when he turns around to shoot it, it always seemed to me that it was pulling to the left. He would basically be missing "bunny shots" at that point. Its kind of bad, because I could tell he was working extremely hard when he was on the court ... its just that his turnaround shot isn't falling.
11) Coach Aki - he is always up and talking to the players and coaching them up. He's a good one.
12) The Blue Crew is in desperate need of support - They've got a good 3-5 people that are always there, however if I've got a student ticket, there is no way I should be sitting in Row B, which is right behind them. Anyways, I chalk it up to Christmas Break ... hopefully it isn't like that all the time.
13) MSOTS - What else can you say about the Mighty Sound of the South? They are amazing - year in and year out. Man, they are great to hear and they keep the spirit alive at games and are usually the first ones to start a chant. I give the few Blue Crew members credit, they did try to start a chant, only to get overruled by the MSOTS!
14) Our dance squad, or whatever you want to call them - no not the cheerleaders, but the dance/hip-hop squad ... man oh man ... very good! 03-wink
01-03-2013 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
RE: A few observations I had from the ORU and Loyola games.
Wow, by that assessment you would think Memphis is ranked in the Top 5. The Tigers have a beast, an assassin, an amazing athlete, a guy that plays with fire and coaches coaching the team up.

Not to mention someone stepping up BIG time.

Fixed per request of grammar hammer.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2013 02:06 PM by salukiblue.)
01-03-2013 01:42 PM
mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

Hmmmm, I think I mentioned beast a total of 1 time, assassin a total of 1 time, amazing a total of 1 time, a guy that plays with fire 1 time, and a coach that is "coaching" (always talking to the players) 1 time - yet I mention 2 players that are struggling ... seems you are mixing up the singular with the plurals there buddy.
01-03-2013 01:46 PM
Advertisement

IRISHMO120 Offline
All American

Good stuff Mempho...
01-03-2013 01:52 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(01-03-2013 01:46 PM)mempho_to_diego Wrote:  Hmmmm, I think I mentioned beast a total of 1 time, assassin a total of 1 time, amazing a total of 1 time, a guy that plays with fire 1 time, and a coach that is "coaching" (always talking to the players) 1 time - yet I mention 2 players that are struggling ... seems you are mixing up the singular with the plurals there buddy.

Hey pal, fixed it for you.
01-03-2013 02:07 PM
Advertisement

MemphisCanes Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: THE Tigers
I observed that our frontcourt is supsect without Tarik Black.

I also observed we handled two top 150ish teams without our (arguably) best player.
01-03-2013 02:09 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(01-03-2013 02:09 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  I observed that our frontcourt is supsect without Tarik Black.

I also observed we handled two top 150ish teams without our (arguably) best player.

I expect a more thorough review Saturday. Hopefully it will be as sparkling, if not better, than the one the OP gave.
01-03-2013 02:13 PM
Advertisement

mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

(01-03-2013 02:13 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  
(01-03-2013 02:09 PM)MemphisCanes Wrote:  I observed that our frontcourt is supsect without Tarik Black.

I expect a more thorough review Saturday. Hopefully it will be as sparkling, if not better, than the one the OP gave.

saluki, can I have your perspective on yesterday's game?
01-05-2013 03:23 PM
missjtiger Offline
KOKO'S MOMMA/D.J.'S MOMS
Jersey Retired

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS

Crappies
(01-05-2013 03:23 PM)mempho_to_diego Wrote:  
(01-03-2013 02:13 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  

saluki, can I have your perspective on yesterday's game?

04-jawdrop
01-05-2013 03:25 PM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
Wish Damien had got some pt in Knoxville. He's earned it.
01-06-2013 01:41 PM
mempho_to_diego Offline
2 legit 2 quit

(01-06-2013 01:41 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  Wish Damien had got some pt in Knoxville. He's earned it.

I was wondering the same thing ... BUT, I was okay with the short rotation. Really, if you look at the box score, we only used 8 players since Stan "The Man" Simpson logged a total of 1 whole minute, with 2 personal fouls ... heh. Also, Hall only played 5 minutes, so really we played with 7 players.

Joe Jackson - 37 minutes
Adonis Thomas - 35 minutes
Chris Crawford - 31 minutes
Geron Johnson - 28 minutes
D.J. Stephens - 27 minutes
Shaq Goodwin - 24 minutes
Antonio Barton - 12 minutes

Imagine if Shaq wasn't in foul trouble, then we'd most likely not see Stan Simpson or Hall ... maybe for just quick breathers. If you look back at the replay as well, Memphis nor Tennessee called a timeout in the first half until well under 1 minute. Maybe that is because longer timeouts, since we were on ESPN.
01-06-2013 06:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.