Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

41.25 million for ACC vs ND in Orange
westmc9th Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ACC/UNC/PITT
41.25 million for ACC vs ND in Orange
@McMurphyESPN: In new playoff format, Notre Dame gets $13.75M for Orange Bowl trip, ACC $41.25M sources tell @espn
01-03-2013 01:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: 41.25 million for ACC vs ND in Orange
Quick math says that this makes the average annual payout for the ACC $30.9375 mil, assuming ND gets 2 invites, or $2.21 million/school/year during the 8 years the OB hosts the ACC #1. For ND, this equates to $3.4375/million/year during the 8 years the OB hosts the ACC #1, assuming again that ND gets 2 bids.
01-03-2013 01:17 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
So the Orange Bowl still gives the ACC substantially less than the other conferences are guaranteed?
01-03-2013 11:52 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(01-03-2013 11:52 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  So the Orange Bowl still gives the ACC substantially less than the other conferences are guaranteed?

compared to the Pac-12 and the Big XII, its about $10 million difference for 8 years in a 12 year period = $6.6666 million/yr (conference-wide). The bigger issue is that the ACC is the only 14 team conference not getting a pay bump (the SEC and the B1G are making extra).
01-04-2013 02:45 AM
ndlutz Offline
I am the liquor.

I Root For: Pitt
However you slice it, it's not good for the ACC. They needed to do better with the Orange Bowl than this. Hopefully this isn't a harbinger of things to come.
01-04-2013 03:13 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
It's less true, but "substantially less" is dependent upon how one defines "substantially"

Over the 12 year contract:

4 years the OB is a semi-final game ACC gets $220 million total

then, depending upon who the opponent is in the other 8 years

1) if all 8 years the opponent is an SEC/BiG team the ACC gets an additional total of $220 million.

2) if one year ND and the rest SEC/BiG team the ACC gets an additional total of $233.75 million.

3) if two years ND and the rest SEC/BiG team the ACC gets an additional total of $247.5 million.

So, the maximum for the ACC over 12 years from the contract bowls will be $467.5 million and the minimum will be $440 million.

The maximum from the contract bowls the Pac-12 and Big 12 will receive is $480 million.

The maximum from the contract bowls the SEC or the BiG (but not both) can receive over the 12 years is $617.5 million and the minimum (and this is true for both) will be $562.5 million.

ND's maximum from the contract bowls over the 12 years can be $27.5 million while the minimum could be zero.

I'll let posters themselves decide what is a "substantial" divide and what is not.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 06:28 AM by omniorange.)
01-04-2013 06:27 AM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-03-2013 01:17 PM)orangefan Wrote:  Quick math says that this makes the average annual payout for the ACC $30.9375 mil, assuming ND gets 2 invites, or $2.21 million/school/year during the 8 years the OB hosts the ACC #1. For ND, this equates to $3.4375/million/year during the 8 years the OB hosts the ACC #1, assuming again that ND gets 2 bids.

You are only talking into account 8 of the 12 years. Every article I've read since the payouts have been finalized have referred to $40 million payouts annually to the SEC, BiG, Pac-12, and Big 12. There is no mention of $40 million only in the 8 years the Rose and Sugar are not semi-final games.

When ESPN signed the deals for the contract bowls, it was for 12 years, not 8 years and the value included the years when the Rose, Sugar, and Orange were going to be in the semi-finals.

When ESPN signed the playoff deal they were essentially paying for the NC game and three Access Bowls over a 12 year period. And that pool of money is separate from the monies for the contract bowls as can be seen in this article which was already previously discussed on this board.

ESPN College Football Playoff Deal

From 2014 to 2025, the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC will earn an average of at least $91 million annually, sources told ESPN Tuesday.

It leaves an average of $345 million annually, which the commissioners have decided to split in two ways: 75 percent ($258.75 million) divided equally among the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC, and the remaining 25 percent ($86.25 million) divided among the Big East, MWC, MAC, C-USA and Sun Belt.

That alone gives the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and ACC an average of $51.75 million annually. The SEC, Big 12, Pac-12 and Big Ten also each will receive an additional $40 million annually for their contract bowl deals with ESPN: Allstate Sugar (SEC, Big 12) and Rose Bowl Game presented by Vizio (Pac-12, Big 12).

Brett McMurphy doesn't get to the $91 million annually without including the separate and distinct contract bowl monies of $40 million annually. And in the latter part, he doesn't mention the ACC because all of the details of the OB contract were not yet finalized.

Now we know the final numbers.

If ND doesn't play in the OB as an ACC opponent in the 8 years it is not a semi-final game then the average the annual payout average for the ACC will be $36.67 million + the $51.75 million from the playoff pool for $88.42 million annually.

If ND plays once in those 8 years, the ACC average from the OB will be $37.8 million + the $51.75 million for $89.55 million annually.

If ND plays twice in those 8 years, the ACC average from the OB will $38.95 million + the $51.75 million for $90.7 million annually.

Is it less than the others? But like above, I will let posters decide for themselves if it is substantially less. All I wanted to do with this post is to point out that one cannot come to the true overall value of the OB contract without accounting for the 4 years it is a semi-final game and the ACC is the "sole rights" owner.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 07:05 AM by omniorange.)
01-04-2013 07:03 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(01-04-2013 06:27 AM)omniorange Wrote:  It's less true, but "substantially less" is dependent upon how one defines "substantially"

1) if all 8 years the opponent is an SEC/BiG team the ACC gets an additional total of $220 million.

2) if one year ND and the rest SEC/BiG team the ACC gets an additional total of $233.75 million.

3) if two years ND and the rest SEC/BiG team the ACC gets an additional total of $247.5 million.

So, the maximum for the ACC over 12 years from the contract bowls will be $467.5 million and the minimum will be $440 million.

The maximum from the contract bowls the Pac-12 and Big 12 will receive is $480 million.

The maximum from the contract bowls the SEC or the BiG (but not both) can receive over the 12 years is $617.5 million and the minimum (and this is true for both) will be $562.5 million.

ND's maximum from the contract bowls over the 12 years can be $27.5 million while the minimum could be zero.

I'll let posters themselves decide what is a "substantial" divide and what is not.

Cheers,
Neil

That's the way I see it, too.

Am I angry that the ACC - despite better TV ratings - will at best get $1 million per year less than the Pac12 and Big12? YES, I am! However, that's NOT $1 million per team - it's $1.04 million/14 = $74,000 per team. Honestly, that's chump change.

Even the difference between the SEC max and the ACC min is $14.8 million/year, or $1.06 million/year per team. Galling, yes; game-changing, no.
01-04-2013 07:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-04-2013 07:04 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 06:27 AM)omniorange Wrote:  It's less true, but "substantially less" is dependent upon how one defines "substantially"

Cheers,
Neil

That's the way I see it, too.

Am I angry that the ACC - despite better TV ratings - will at best get $1 million per year less than the Pac12 and Big12? YES, I am! However, that's NOT $1 million per team - it's $1.04 million/14 = $74,000 per team. Honestly, that's chump change.

Even the difference between the SEC max and the ACC min is $14.8 million/year, or $1.06 million/year per team. Galling, yes; game-changing, no.

I get it. But go have some morning java, because your math is slightly off.

The difference between the Pac-12 and Big 12 conferences and the ACC conference, even if it's the ACC minimum is $3.33 million annually and at best will be $1.2 million annually. Per team average would vary due to varying conference sizes but that is not a significant total amount either way.

The difference between the maximum the SEC conference can get and the ACC conference could get is nearly $15 million annually since for the SEC to get their maximum the ACC could only get their minimum. That could be seen as a significant difference by some.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 07:14 AM by omniorange.)
01-04-2013 07:14 AM
sufan Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SU

Cheers,
Neil

Another excellent, informative article. Are you confident the ACC gets the full 55 million during the 4 years the OB is a semifinal site?

If so and as you detail the ACC is getting essentially the same as the PAC and Big 12.

The major remaining question I believe is the payout to a conference for the teams that are selected for the playoff/access bowls beyond the contract bowl.

Any idea how much that might total and be allocated?
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 09:30 AM by sufan.)
01-04-2013 09:29 AM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-04-2013 09:29 AM)sufan Wrote:  Another excellent, informative article. Are you confident the ACC gets the full 55 million during the 4 years the OB is a semifinal site?

I'm basing this on the fact that every article I've read indicates that as co-media rights owners of the Rose the BiG/Pac-12 will share $80 million annually and that as co-media rights owners of the Sugar the SEC and the Big 12 will share $80 million. So logic and common sense seems to indicate that as sole media rights owner of the Orange, in those years that they are not sharing with BiG/SEC/ND, the ACC gets the full $55 million. Now, could there be information that the media has not reported correctly on the Rose and Sugar, sure. But I do know John Swofford made a big deal about having "sole media rights" of the OB and the only way this makes sense is using the common sense logical approach.

Of course, nothing says this has to be logical or make sense. 03-wink

Quote:The major remaining question I believe is the payout to a conference for the teams that are selected for the playoff/access bowls beyond the contract bowl.

From the ESPN article I linked in the post after the one you are responding to, there is this:

about $125 million is expected to go toward expenses, including an academic reward component, game participation, team expenses, allotment to Football Championship Subdivision conferences and other items.

But that is the pot of everything else, so if there has been a report of how much each of those items will receive, I haven't seen it yet.

Cheers,
Neil
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 10:19 AM by omniorange.)
01-04-2013 10:19 AM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(01-04-2013 10:19 AM)omniorange Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 09:29 AM)sufan Wrote:  Another excellent, informative article. Are you confident the ACC gets the full 55 million during the 4 years the OB is a semifinal site?

I'm basing this on the fact that every article I've read indicates that as co-media rights owners of the Rose the BiG/Pac-12 will share $80 million annually and that as co-media rights owners of the Sugar the SEC and the Big 12 will share $80 million. So logic and common sense seems to indicate that as sole media rights owner of the Orange, in those years that they are not sharing with BiG/SEC/ND, the ACC gets the full $55 million. Now, could there be information that the media has not reported correctly on the Rose and Sugar, sure. But I do know John Swofford made a big deal about having "sole media rights" of the OB and the only way this makes sense is using the common sense logical approach.

Quote:The major remaining question I believe is the payout to a conference for the teams that are selected for the playoff/access bowls beyond the contract bowl.

From the ESPN article I linked in the post after the one you are responding to, there is this:

about $125 million is expected to go toward expenses, including an academic reward component, game participation, team expenses, allotment to Football Championship Subdivision conferences and other items.

But that is the pot of everything else, so if there has been a report of how much each of those items will receive, I haven't seen it yet.

Cheers,
Neil

The ACC effectively sold some of our OB rights to the SEC/B1G to get their votes for the equal distribution of other championship/playoff game revenue. The Pac and the Big XII were then appeased when the OB agreed to not take the SEC/B1G champion becuase that shifts value from the OB (ACC, SEC, and B1G) to the access bowls (benefitting the Big XII and the Pac-12). There is no secret payout. When there's THAT much money on the line, things always make sense.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 10:59 AM by nzmorange.)
01-04-2013 10:58 AM
sufan Offline
Bench Warmer

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks. It would be nice to see this explicitly confirmed but what you say makes total sense and certainly is my hope.

This is a major positive for the ACC and all in all shows the ACC did very well: at least as well as the PAC and Big 12.

As for the remaining $125 million, if perhaps 80 million (?) goes to the 6 playoff/access bowl conference teams, and one of those teams is one of the non Big 5 members, the net to the 5 Big 5 conference teams (conferences) might perhaps be approximately 67 million, with at least 3 Big 5 conferences usually involved, although it perhaps becomes more complicated since in some years when the contract conference champion plays in an access bowl, presumably they don't get an additional amount (or do they)?

Final question: is the actual championship game included in all this or is there a separate TV deal and separate payout for participating teams/conferences to be decided on?

Very complicated!
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 11:13 AM by sufan.)
01-04-2013 11:09 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I am not a numbers guy. Matter of fact crunching numbers bores the crap out of me. That's why I have an account, an accounting department and a wife to do the checkbook. With that being said, if A numbers novice like me self understands this correctly, The ACC will be making 1 million a year less in The New BCS than the so-called football factories of The SEC.

Couple that with what looks to be a monster ACC basketball contract is it possible The ACC will be making more than The Big 12 with its God-awful basketball?
CJ
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 11:13 AM by CardinalJim.)
01-04-2013 11:12 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

(01-04-2013 11:09 AM)sufan Wrote:  Thanks. It would be nice to see this explicitly confirmed but what you say makes total sense and certainly is my hope.

This is a major positive for the ACC and all in all shows the ACC did very well: at least as well as the PAC and Big 12.

As for the remaining $125 million, if perhaps 80 million (?) goes to the 6 playoff/access bowl conference teams, and one of those teams is one of the non Big 5 members, the net to the 5 Big 5 conference teams (conferences) might perhaps be approximately 67 million, with at least 3 Big 5 conferences usually involved, although it perhaps becomes more complicated since in some years when the contract conference champion plays in an access bowl, presumably they don't get an additional amount (or do they)?

Final question: is the actual championship game included in all this or is there a separate TV deal and separate payout for participating teams/conferences to be decided on?

Very complicated!

"The average numbers are not firm because the revenue escalates over the life of the contract. In 2014, the first year of the new system, the total revenue would be less than $400 million; in 2025, the last year, the revenue would be well over $600 million.

The five so-called "power" conferences – the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC – will split approximately 71.5 percent of the annual revenue, after expenses and other payouts. Although it's difficult to estimate because of the escalating contract, on average that figure could approach $250 million a year. The "Group of Five" conferences – Big East, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt – will split 27 percent, which could approach $95 million annually.

Notre Dame will receive slightly less than 1 percent of the annual revenue (about $3.5 million). The remaining FBS independents will split 0.5 percent.

In addition to the annual revenue split, conferences will receive $6 million per team participating in the semifinals, and $4 million per team participating in the so-called "host" bowls, the person said. "

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca...s/1762709/

The biggest issue that remains unclear to me is whether the Orange, Rose and Sugar will make payments to their contract conferences in years when they are semifinals.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 11:36 AM by orangefan.)
01-04-2013 11:30 AM
sufan Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-04-2013 11:30 AM)orangefan Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 11:09 AM)sufan Wrote:  Thanks. It would be nice to see this explicitly confirmed but what you say makes total sense and certainly is my hope.

Very complicated!

"The average numbers are not firm because the revenue escalates over the life of the contract. In 2014, the first year of the new system, the total revenue would be less than $400 million; in 2025, the last year, the revenue would be well over $600 million.

The five so-called "power" conferences – the ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC – will split approximately 71.5 percent of the annual revenue, after expenses and other payouts. Although it's difficult to estimate because of the escalating contract, on average that figure could approach $250 million a year. The "Group of Five" conferences – Big East, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt – will split 27 percent, which could approach $95 million annually.

Notre Dame will receive slightly less than 1 percent of the annual revenue (about $3.5 million). The remaining FBS independents will split 0.5 percent.

In addition to the annual revenue split, conferences will receive $6 million per team participating in the semifinals, and $4 million per team participating in the so-called "host" bowls, the person said. "
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca...s/1762709/

The biggest issue that remains unclear to me is whether the Orange, Rose and Sugar will make payments to their contract conferences in years when they are semifinals.

Thanks.

Additionally from the article:

"There's no additional payout for advancing to the championship game."
"Teams are not going to be hugely financially rewarded for playing in the playoff (as opposed to participation in "host" bowls)," the person said."

See Neil's reply above to your question (below) which was my question as well:

[/quote]
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 12:21 PM by sufan.)
01-04-2013 12:19 PM
Advertisement

omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-04-2013 10:58 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

The ACC effectively sold some of our OB rights to the SEC/B1G to get their votes for the equal distribution of other championship/playoff game revenue. The Pac and the Big XII were then appeased when the OB agreed to not take the SEC/B1G champion becuase that shifts value from the OB (ACC, SEC, and B1G) to the access bowls (benefitting the Big XII and the Pac-12). There is no secret payout. When there's THAT much money on the line, things always make sense.

Are you referring to the $51 million for each of the 5 power conferences? If so, then I don't believe the bolded statement is true. As per the article I linked below, that was determined by cumulative points total of the BCS era by teams of the conference as they would look in 2014.

The ACC's total slightly exceeded the Pac-12's total so there would be no need for the exchange you are talking about of favors. Plus, the Pac-12 and the Big 12 were upset by the OB deal since they saw it as the BiG/SEC separating themselves from the them in terms of playoff $$$. They tried to get another contract bowl between them, but couldn't manage it.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...ources-say

Cheers,
Neil
01-04-2013 12:22 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(01-04-2013 12:19 PM)sufan Wrote:  The biggest issue that remains unclear to me is whether the Orange, Rose and Sugar will make payments to their contract conferences in years when they are semifinals.

EXACTLY. I've seen it both ways - from reputable sources! Until this is clarified, we can't be sure if the ACC got a fair deal or not, honestly.

If the ACC does in fact get the full $55 million during the 4 years when the Orange bowl hosts a semi-final, plus still gets the access bowl money (whatever that works out to be, but certainly no more than $10 million or so), then compared to other conferences who'll get $40 million every year it works about about the same:

IF ALL of the contract bowls pay to their contract conference in semi-final years:
(8 X $27.5) + (4 X $55) = $220 + $220 = $440M worst-case for ACC
(2 X $41.25) + (6 X $27.5) + (4 X $55) = $82.5 + $165 + $220 = $467.5M best-case ACC
(12 X $40) = $480M for Big XII, Pac-12

HOWEVER, if none of the contract bowls pay to their conferences in semi-final years:
(8 X $27.5) = $220M worst-case for ACC
(2 X $41.25) + (6 X $27.5) = $82.5 + $165 = $247.5M best-case ACC
(8 X $40) = $320M for Big XII, Pac-12

This latter assumption is what makes some folks freak out - the possibility of a $100M difference! I thought the 2nd assumption was correct until Jack Swarbrick's comments... now I'm leaning toward the first assumption (i.e. a difference of only $12.5 to $40M, spread out over 12 years).

BOTTOM LINE: WE FANS JUST DON'T HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION TO KNOW FOR SURE.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 12:39 PM by Hokie Mark.)
01-04-2013 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

(01-04-2013 12:22 PM)omniorange Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 10:58 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Are you referring to the $51 million for each of the 5 power conferences? If so, then I don't believe the bolded statement is true. As per the article I linked below, that was determined by cumulative points total of the BCS era by teams of the conference as they would look in 2014.

The ACC's total slightly exceeded the Pac-12's total so there would be no need for the exchange you are talking about of favors. Plus, the Pac-12 and the Big 12 were upset by the OB deal since they saw it as the BiG/SEC separating themselves from the them in terms of playoff $$$. They tried to get another contract bowl between them, but couldn't manage it.

Cheers,
Neil

1. Only because the ACC had an inherent systemic advantage of being able to run the tables twice because half the ACC didn't play in the ACC in the last BCS era. If this thing resets every year, then, unless the ACC has better luck/makes changes, the ACC is a sinking ship. Anyway, that's why the Pac/Big 12 didn't get as much of a payout as the SEC/B1G. [out of the 14 ACC teams SU, Pitt, UL, Miami, VT, and BC were in the BIG EAST in 1998, and SU, Pitt, and UL were in the BIG EAST in '05]

2. yes, the Pac-12 and the Big 12 were upset. That's why the SEC/B1G champ can't play in the OB. As explained earlier, it shifts money back to the Pac/Big 12 because the extra value appears in the OB, so it is divided equally amongst the conferences, and not just amongst the ACC/B1G/SEC.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 12:46 PM by nzmorange.)
01-04-2013 12:42 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(01-04-2013 12:42 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 12:22 PM)omniorange Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 10:58 AM)nzmorange Wrote:  The ACC effectively sold some of our OB rights to the SEC/B1G to get their votes for the equal distribution of other championship/playoff game revenue. The Pac and the Big XII were then appeased when the OB agreed to not take the SEC/B1G champion becuase that shifts value from the OB (ACC, SEC, and B1G) to the access bowls (benefitting the Big XII and the Pac-12). There is no secret payout. When there's THAT much money on the line, things always make sense.

Cheers,
Neil

1. Only because the ACC had an inherent systemic advantage of being able to run the tables twice because half the ACC didn't play in the ACC in the last BCS era. If this thing resets every year, then, unless the ACC has better luck/makes changes, the ACC is a sinking ship. Anyway, that's why the Pac/Big 12 didn't get as much of a payout as the SEC/B1G. [out of the 14 ACC teams SU, Pitt, UL, Miami, VT, and BC were in the BIG EAST in 1998, and SU, Pitt, and UL were in the BIG EAST in '05]

2. yes, the Pac-12 and the Big 12 were upset. That's why the SEC/B1G champ can't play in the OB. As explained earlier, it shifts money back to the Pac/Big 12 because the extra value appears in the OB, so it is divided equally amongst the conferences, and not just amongst the ACC/B1G/SEC.

Point #1 is understood, but it doesn't change the fact that this was the agreed upon process.

I have no idea what you are attempting to say with Point #2 as it relates to the original point by you that I was responding to. Yes, that increased the value of the NC/Access Bowls. How does that lead to the ACC and OB "selling to the BiG/SEC" to get equal distribution of the NC/Access Bowl payouts?

As I see it, the equal distribution of a set amount of the media rights for the NC and Access Bowl games was going to happen regardless of what the OB deal was going to be.

I'm open to be convinced otherwise, but I haven't seen you connect the dots in writing yet.

Cheers,
Neil
01-04-2013 01:23 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.