Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thoughts on Miami and South Beach
Bookmark and Share
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
Thoughts on Miami and South Beach
I will go first, because I started the thread.

Not sure the proper spelling, but Guedo is the word that my kids kept using to describe South Beach. We had blast at the game and playing in the water, other than no thanks.
Expensive, most people rude or not talkative, and drivers are nuts, I mean nuts. Oh, and the jaywalkers jump out right in front of you.

Side note while playing on the beach a boat load of refugees landed, most wearing FSU shirts and hats, all yelling Obama!

Take Chicago any day over all that. Leaving the stadium some FSU fans shouted have a nice long drive home. Classic.

By the way, south beach had $90 cocktails on New Years, shame on you.
01-02-2013 05:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DogTracks Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Thoughts on Miami and South Beach
I can only speak to Ft Lauderdale, and had only a very brief trip, so my impressions aren't the deepest. But I kinda dig that town. Liked the riverwalk area, Las Olas Blvd is a solid boutique/restaurant district. I can see what they're trying to do redevelopment-wise in the area they put NYE on in. By and large people did not suck.

I will say- as a Chicago area native- whether it's Ft Lauderdale or other places I've been- there's a different feel to places that people aren't really from and places like Chicago.
01-02-2013 05:56 PM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I Root For: NIU Huskies
For of us still here...our last night. We are enjoying ourselves quite a bit despite the loss. My only complaint is that there is basically nothing around our hotel besides the beach(which is nice). We are taking a cab south. There is a great little brewery too.
01-02-2013 05:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kwevans07 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Florida State
(01-02-2013 05:42 PM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  I will go first, because I started the thread.

Not sure the proper spelling, but Guedo is the word that my kids kept using to describe South Beach. We had blast at the game and playing in the water, other than no thanks.
Expensive, most people rude or not talkative, and drivers are nuts, I mean nuts. Oh, and the jaywalkers jump out right in front of you.

Side note while playing on the beach a boat load of refugees landed, most wearing FSU shirts and hats, all yelling Obama!

Take Chicago any day over all that. Leaving the stadium some FSU fans shouted have a nice long drive home. Classic.

Miami in no way reflects the culture of the rest of Florida. It is a cesspool and is comprised of rude yankees.
01-02-2013 06:00 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-02-2013 06:00 PM)kwevans07 Wrote:  
(01-02-2013 05:42 PM)MileHighHuskie Wrote:  I will go first, because I started the thread.

Miami in no way reflects the culture of the rest of Florida. It is a cesspool and is comprised of rude yankees.

we won the battle of the northern aggression, get over it.
01-02-2013 06:13 PM
yesman815 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
Id take California over Florida anyday.....

It may be nice to people from Illinois and Dekalb but I like the Cali vibe over florida
01-02-2013 06:38 PM
Advertisement

MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-02-2013 06:38 PM)yesman815 Wrote:  Id take California over Florida anyday.....

It may be nice to people from Illinois and Dekalb but I like the Cali vibe over florida

Don't get me wrong, born and raised in Southern Cal, love Florida, just South Beach was a lot different than I though it would be. Had 8 people with me I brought down, tired of handing out absurd $ for cocktails and food. I prefer Jacksonville, good people.
01-02-2013 06:42 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
Enjoyed my time, but definitely not my favorite place in the world.
Was about two seconds away from punching out one of the valet guys at the Marriot. Called my girlfriend a very derogatory name. Good thing my friend was there to stop me or I probably would have been spending NYE and the game in jail. **** that guy. And the manager at the Marriot was basically just as retarded.

Toilet paper is a hot commodity in Miami apparently.

I did enjoy Monday at South Beach. Basically was just laughing at all the gayness, and douches I saw. Two guys on a segway in really short shorts was quite humorous. Disclaimer - I don't have a problem with gay people, but I have never experienced it on such a high level. Ha

Don't think I'll ever go to Miami again, unless I'm going on a cruise or there for a sporting event.
01-02-2013 07:09 PM
MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-02-2013 07:09 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  Enjoyed my time, but definitely not my favorite place in the world.
Was about two seconds away from punching out one of the valet guys at the Marriot. Called my girlfriend a very derogatory name. Good thing my friend was there to stop me or I probably would have been spending NYE and the game in jail. **** that guy. And the manager at the Marriot was basically just as retarded.

Toilet paper is a hot commodity in Miami apparently.

I did enjoy Monday at South Beach. Basically was just laughing at all the gayness, and douches I saw. Two guys on a segway in really short shorts was quite humorous. Disclaimer - I don't have a problem with gay people, but I have never experienced it on such a high level. Ha

Don't think I'll ever go to Miami again, unless I'm going on a cruise or there for a sporting event.

Biscayne Marriott in Miami, we had problems there as well.
01-02-2013 07:12 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
(01-02-2013 06:38 PM)yesman815 Wrote:  Id take California over Florida anyday.....

You need to see the rest of Florida. Especially my little neck of the woods.
01-02-2013 08:56 PM
PiKappNoleATL Offline
2nd String

(01-02-2013 08:56 PM)sarasotahuskie Wrote:  

I agree...I grew up in SWFL (Fort Myers) and it is a completely different world on that side. Much better than the Atlantic side and I don't get the draw to that side of the coast.

Destin is just as great also up in the panhandle.

Miami is the armpit of Florida. South Beach is great but overpriced, it is for "ballers" and not my type of crowd.

Key West and the other islands along the way is great.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 09:01 PM by PiKappNoleATL.)
01-02-2013 09:00 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I had fun the last time I was in Ft. Myers, which was a long time ago.

$17 a drink (which I saw at a bar on Miami beach) is more than I'll ever pay, and there's probably less liquor in them than you'd get some other places.
01-02-2013 09:08 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
Carlyle on Ocean Ave had two drinks for $25, but at least they were gigantic drinks (3 drinks per cup probably)... and very strong. I packed it in pretty early on NYE after chowing down on some delicious meats at Fogo de Chao, but my buddy said he found a great dive bar on Washington st in SOBE with reasonably priced beers.

I don't have all bad things to say about Miami. Furthest down in FL i've been since moving here, and the water is absolutely gorgeous. Beats the hell out of Jacksonville, that's for sure. But that's not very hard to do
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 09:19 PM by HuskieRak.)
01-02-2013 09:18 PM
Who You Crappin'? Offline
1st String

I was in Clearwater Beach/Tampa for business and I loved it there. Lots of good food, laid back. Very nice.
01-02-2013 10:19 PM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

(01-02-2013 09:00 PM)PiKappNoleATL Wrote:  

I agree...I grew up in SWFL (Fort Myers) and it is a completely different world on that side. Much better than the Atlantic side and I don't get the draw to that side of the coast.

Miami is the armpit of Florida. South Beach is great but overpriced, it is for "ballers" and not my type of crowd.

Miami is the colon of Florida. All the S**t passes through here.
01-02-2013 11:40 PM
PiKappNoleATL Offline
2nd String

(01-02-2013 11:40 PM)MiamiHuskie Wrote:  

Hahahaha...yes that is true. I like areas of Miami for sure. Just that I am a west coast guy. They are very opposite in nature and culture.
01-02-2013 11:44 PM
Advertisement

MileHighHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:

I can see that, nothing like all the tourists thinking they are better than us in our our country. I did meet some very nice locals at the marina behind our hotel, ended up on their boat and they were telling us why they hang on their 45 foot boat, they hate South Beach.
01-02-2013 11:45 PM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

(01-02-2013 11:44 PM)PiKappNoleATL Wrote:  

Hahahaha...yes that is true. I like areas of Miami for sure. Just that I am a west coast guy. They are very opposite in nature and culture.

West coast is nice, good people. Miami has some OK areas but the hot spots like SB are crime infested, overpriced, and overrated.

Gables, some Coconut Grove areas are OK to hang around.
01-02-2013 11:55 PM
niuguy Offline
The first in, last out!

I Root For: NIU Huskies
We had some friggin awesome Cuban food tonight. Also had great mojito and high end rum. :)
01-03-2013 12:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
There used to be an I95/I75 syndrome. I95 runs up the East Coast And all the NY, NJ etc ended up on the East coast of FL. I75 (&I65) came from the Midwest and ended up on the West coast of FL. Much better over here. And, Sarasota is basically Chicago south.
01-03-2013 12:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.