Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Memphis and Cincy should attempt to buy their way into the Big XII
Bookmark and Share
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
Memphis and Cincy should attempt to buy their way into the Big XII
I think someone else suggested this the other day, but I can't remember which thread.

If the MWC can lure Boise with incentives then why can't Memphis and Cincy make concessions to the Big XII?

The Big XII is bound to expand at some point. Memphis and Cincy help provide for a geographical bridge between the Big XII schools and lonesome West Virginia.

Pull out all of the stops.

Try to get better sponsorship for the Liberty Bowl and offer a sweet tie in to the Big XII. After the Sugar, Cotton, Holiday and Alamo Bowls, the Liberty Bowl would make a great place for the Big XII to send their 5th place team.

After years of speculation, rumor, innuendo and even some news stories about FedEx/Fred Smith/Alan Graf doing something "big" to get Memphis into an AQ status then this might be its last chance.

Finally, agree to receive only a partial share from the conference for however long it takes. Even a partial share from the Big XII for ten years will likely be much better than a full share from the Big East.

Continued facilites improvement and football success will also help.

I think it's merely a matter of who and when in regards to Big XII expansion. The good news is that our biggest competition who we had no chance to beat (Louisville) is not a factor now.
01-02-2013 04:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: Memphis and Cincy should attempt to buy their way into the Big XII
in Bowen we trust
01-02-2013 04:45 PM
DDrum1961 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
(01-02-2013 04:43 PM)3601 Wrote:  I think someone else suggested this the other day, but I can't remember which thread.

If the MWC can lure Boise with incentives then why can't Memphis and Cincy make concessions to the Big XII?

The Big XII is bound to expand at some point. Memphis and Cincy help provide for a geographical bridge between the Big XII schools and lonesome West Virginia.

Try to get better sponsorship for the Liberty Bowl and offer a sweet tie in to the Big XII. After the Sugar, Cotton, Holiday and Alamo Bowls, the Liberty Bowl would make a great place for the Big XII to send their 5th place team.

After years of speculation, rumor, innuendo and even some news stories about FedEx/Fred Smith/Alan Graf doing something "big" to get Memphis into an AQ status then this might be its last chance.

Finally, agree to receive only a partial share from the conference for however long it takes. Even a partial share from the Big XII for ten years will likely be much better than a full share from the Big East.

I think it's merely a matter of who and when in regards to Big XII expansion. The good news is that our biggest competition who we had no chance to beat (Louisville) is not a factor now.

:iagree:

I've always thought it made more sense than the BE .... Gives the Big 12 access to SEC and Big 10 Media Markets ...
01-02-2013 04:58 PM
Joe1 Offline
Larry's Friend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
do you guys think we are trying to get in? or is this a pipe dream? im all for it, just curious as to what our new athletic dir. is doing?
01-02-2013 05:08 PM
SNF6 Offline
Go To Hell Ole Miss

I Root For: Vol Free USA
(01-02-2013 04:45 PM)fsquid Wrote:  in Bowen we trust

Yep!
01-02-2013 05:18 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(01-02-2013 05:08 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  do you guys think we are trying to get in? or is this a pipe dream? im all for it, just curious as to what our new athletic dir. is doing?

I've got to believe that everybody who isn't currently in the Pac 12, Big XII, Big 10, SEC or ACC are trying to get into one of those conferences.

Heck, I'm not even certiain that the ACC or Big XII are immune.

Bowen plays things very close to the vest and probalby will never talk publicly about what he's doing to better Memphis for a better conference. However, if he's not doing something then he isn't doing his job.
01-02-2013 05:23 PM
Advertisement

TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
Some of you act like the only ones who think of these things are posters on this message board. We are being quite proactive vs. the RC era, but you can't get in somewhere, regardless of concessions, unless you are invited. Our big problem is we're still seen as a laggard in football.
01-02-2013 05:26 PM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
You'd think they'd want to get into an SEC TV market. Outside of Atlanta, Memphis would have to be on the list. However their picks of TCU and WVU made no sense. It's like when Mizzou and A&M left they went to the AP poll and selected the highest teams they could find with no regard to anything else.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 05:27 PM by Brother Bluto.)
01-02-2013 05:27 PM
tigertom Offline
"Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum"

Donators
It ALWAYS made more $en$e ! Who's running the railroad or airline as the case may be???

GO FOR IT. WHO EVER GAVE A RATS REAR ABOUT ANYTHING E A S T ! ! ! 03-banghead
01-02-2013 05:34 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(01-02-2013 05:26 PM)TripleA Wrote:  Some of you act like the only ones who think of these things are posters on this message board. We are being quite proactive vs. the RC era, but you can't get in somewhere, regardless of concessions, unless you are invited. Our big problem is we're still seen as a laggard in football.

I certainly don't think this is a novel idea or new concept. It's just one to throw out there now as a topic of discussion because it seems like the Big XII is ripe for expansion now that the SEC, Pac 12, Big 10 and ACC have done their things.

As a Tigers fan I hope the Big XII keeps its powder dry for a few years so that we have the time to improve in football and prove that we aren't perpetual laggards.

We have part of the football facilities in place. Hopefully, we have the right FB coach in place. Now we need to buld the FB IPF, win some football games, and continue to improve other facilites. It's a constant battle.

I think everyone understands that the way to get invited to one of these conferences is to make yourself attractive one way or the other.
01-02-2013 05:35 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(01-02-2013 05:26 PM)TripleA Wrote:  We are being quite proactive vs. the RC era,

What kind of things are we doing to be more proactive?
01-02-2013 05:37 PM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(01-02-2013 05:37 PM)3601 Wrote:  
(01-02-2013 05:26 PM)TripleA Wrote:  We are being quite proactive vs. the RC era,

Better yet, who is gonna be the scapegoat if all this doesn't work?
01-02-2013 05:40 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame

Calling conferences and individual schools to make sales pitches. Contacting current nBE mates to consider group options. Getting big boosters directly involved. Recruiting people in high places to use their connections on our behalf. Etc.
01-02-2013 05:41 PM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(01-02-2013 04:43 PM)3601 Wrote:  I think someone else suggested this the other day, but I can't remember which thread.

You can't buy Texas.

BTW, I'm not saying I disagree with you about the premise... But your thread title doesn't connect with this post.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 05:46 PM by Latilleon.)
01-02-2013 05:41 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(01-02-2013 05:41 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  

You can't buy Texas.

we could offer to take the Mexicans off their hands.
01-02-2013 05:43 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

Memphis Hall of Fame
(01-02-2013 05:40 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

Yeah, that's what this place is best at.
Advertisement

3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(01-02-2013 05:41 PM)TripleA Wrote:  

Calling conferences and individual schools to make sales pitches. Contacting current nBE mates to consider group options. Getting big boosters directly involved. Recruiting people in high places to use their connections on our behalf. Etc.

We weren't doing most of those thigns before? If so, RC is worse than I thought he was.
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(01-02-2013 05:27 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  You'd think they'd want to get into an SEC TV market. Outside of Atlanta, Memphis would have to be on the list. However their picks of TCU and WVU made no sense. It's like when Mizzou and A&M left they went to the AP poll and selected the highest teams they could find with no regard to anything else.

They made plenty of sense...

Great football programs.

When Nebraska and TAMU left, it severely hurt the quality of football.

UT, OU, sometimes TTU, KSU, & OSU... The Big XII needed better football.
01-02-2013 05:44 PM
Latilleon Offline
Git Buck.

(01-02-2013 05:43 PM)fsquid Wrote:  
(01-02-2013 05:41 PM)Latilleon Wrote:  

You can't buy Texas.

we could offer to take the Mexicans off their hands.

I'm guessing that honestly, behind closed doors they want to keep their Mexicans.
01-02-2013 05:45 PM
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

(01-02-2013 05:40 PM)Brother Bluto Wrote:  

We already have our scapegoat.

[Image: zzzBigEastZ_t607.jpg]
01-02-2013 05:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.