ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Article in the pilot where Blaine blames the players yet again
Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Blaine says, and I quote, "it's the thing I've lamented in practice with the guys - haphazard decisions, passing, strength with the ball, some of that kind of stuff".

Of course there is ZERO mention of his terrible decision to take the air out of the ball and playing a zone with a ridiculously small lineup.

Then later on in the article he says: "it's just been a comedy of errors when something needs to happen". Not sure whether he's referring to our lack of playmaking ability or his own recruiting ability.

Blaming freshman players for making freshman mistakes and ignoring your own terrible coaching decisions and the fact that its your poor recruiting that has forced is to rely on freshman.....Blaine Taylor at his finest ladies and gentleman!!

You'd think maybe he'd be interested in sheltering these kids from some of the blame by saying they are freshman and are trying to get better, but nope, there he is throwing them under the bus on the front page of the sports section.

This joker can't hit the bricks fast enough. I found that entire article utterly reprehensible. Throwing a young team under the bus when your coaching has been just as responsible for our record (and that point is not arguable) as their shaky play is just flat out disgusting.

A coach is supposed to have his players back, especially when they are young and learning. Instead, we get this. So go ahead Taylor apologists, explain these actions and how this is a good thing for the program?
01-02-2013 06:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pandorazboxx Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ODU
RE: Article in the pilot where Blaine blames the players yet again
I think it is just his coaching style. He almost always tries to throw someone under the bus to get them to perform better. Sometimes it works. who knows? I don't agree with this "tough-love" style of coaching though.
01-02-2013 07:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Flagship Offline
All American

(01-02-2013 06:17 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  Of course there is ZERO mention of his terrible decision to take the air out of the ball and playing a zone with a ridiculously small lineup.
Taylor didn't write the article. But go ahead and blame him anyway.
01-02-2013 08:42 AM
Heisman

(01-02-2013 08:42 AM)The Flagship Wrote:  
(01-02-2013 06:17 AM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  Of course there is ZERO mention of his terrible decision to take the air out of the ball and playing a zone with a ridiculously small lineup.
Taylor didn't write the article. But go ahead and blame him anyway.

I highly doubt that article gets written without his approval or quotes that he provides. Do you disagree with that?
01-02-2013 08:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

While I agree that I wish Blaine would, at times, take some responsibility for the team's failures, I really don't see any reason to be upset about the first quote you posted. If that really upsets you, my high school coach would have made you weep like a schoolgirl.

I actually think that the quote is a really good assessment of some of the issues we've been having. We haven't made a ton of good decisions with the basketball, our passing has been poor (we rarely get passes to our shooter's hip; they are always catching passes away from their bodies), and we've been really weak with the ball in the post and in the backcourt.
01-02-2013 09:31 AM
Heisman

It's not that he's wrong because anyone who's actually watched this team knows that is not the case.

It's that yet again, after he's done after many post game shows as well, he's throwing freshman under the bus. They can handle it I'm sure, it's not that......it's just the very uncouth way he is going about pinning these losses on the spotty play of freshman that leaves a lot of REAL, standup, take charge sort of coaching to be desired!
01-02-2013 09:39 AM
Advertisement

ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

Razor,

I have no issues with these comments. Bad play is bad play, freshmen or not. We can bust on Blaine for his recent poor recruiting, etc., but if these quotes bother you, methinks you are too sensitive.

BTW: Have you ever consider using ditto marks? It would save both you and your readers some time. You want Blaine gone. We get it. poor recruiting, can't shoot, boring style, etc. There's nothing new here.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 10:06 AM by ODUBB35.)
01-02-2013 10:05 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(01-02-2013 10:05 AM)ODUBB35 Wrote:  Razor,

I have no issues with these comments. Bad play is bad play, freshmen or not. We can bust on Blaine for his recent poor recruiting, etc., but if these quotes bother you, methinks you are too sensitive.

BTW: Have you ever consider using ditto marks? It would save both you and your readers some time. You want Blaine gone. We get it. poor recruiting, can't shoot, boring style, etc. There's nothing new here.

Ditto
01-02-2013 03:07 PM
SportsDoc757 Offline
Bench Warmer

Not sure I care about these quotes, but Razor is getting at a larger point: not once has BT taken blame. In any interview, article, coaches show, post-game etc BT has not once taken the blame or self-reflected. It's been worrisome to me for a couple years now.
01-02-2013 05:18 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

His post game interviews after losses are all identical.

1. Makes excuses like the other teams made a bunch of ridiculous shots, which we make those as well.

2. Gives us some sort of saying or Blaine-ism like sometimes you're the dog and sometime you're the tree or VCU didn't know whether to crap or go blind, which he said after last season's home loss on air.

3. Blames the players like Ross for having 5 turnovers in the last game, ya it was his fault we lost and not the 4 corners take the air out of the ball offense against a zone defense strategy.
01-02-2013 05:24 PM
Heisman

(01-02-2013 05:18 PM)SportsDoc757 Wrote:  Not sure I care about these quotes, but Razor is getting at a larger point: not once has BT taken blame. In any interview, article, coaches show, post-game etc BT has not once taken the blame or self-reflected. It's been worrisome to me for a couple years now.

BINGO. It's not this particular article. It's the entire season that he refuses to take an inch of responsibility for that I find reprehensible. It's just another crumb on the crap cake that is his ENTIRE coaching performance this season.
01-02-2013 05:54 PM
Advertisement

Obiwan Offline
1st String

(01-02-2013 05:18 PM)SportsDoc757 Wrote:  Not sure I care about these quotes, but Razor is getting at a larger point: not once has BT taken blame. In any interview, article, coaches show, post-game etc BT has not once taken the blame or self-reflected. It's been worrisome to me for a couple years now.

Wouldn't that be throwing the kids under the bus as well? " this team sucks because I recruited a bunch of nobodies that nobody else wanted including our archival VCU"
01-02-2013 10:18 PM
bigblueodu Offline
1st String

Compare BT to BW......
How many times does Wilder state.... "We got out played, out hustled, and frankly I got outcoached... and all of that is my responsibility!"

now I know not a lot because we win mostly, but I have to admit that BT sounds more like the JMU FB coach.
01-02-2013 10:48 PM
The Doctor Is In Offline
Special Teams

I stayed after the game tonight to listen to the post game interview. A quote from Blaine: "I fully supported moving to CUSA...100%...however it could not have occurred at a worse time for the ODU men's basketball team". Not sure what the last part of the quote meant. Any ideas, Monarch nation?
01-02-2013 10:54 PM
Monarch Maniac 10 Offline
1st String

I disagree with him. New conference, new coach. It's inevitable. You cannot lose to both W&M and JMU while starting the season 2-12 and expect to keep your job. Even the most accomplished coach would be on the hot seat.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 10:58 PM by Monarch Maniac 10.)
01-02-2013 10:58 PM
monarchman Offline
1st String

(01-02-2013 10:54 PM)The Doctor Is In Wrote:  I stayed after the game tonight to listen to the post game interview. A quote from Blaine: "I fully supported moving to CUSA...100%...however it could not have occurred at a worse time for the ODU men's basketball team". Not sure what the last part of the quote meant. Any ideas, Monarch nation?

That does not sound like 100% support to me, and comes across more like another excuse for the teams current (and possibly future) situation.

He needs to be gone by the end of the season. Blaine Taylor should not be coaching ODU in CUSA.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 11:08 PM by monarchman.)
01-02-2013 11:07 PM
Advertisement

Monarchs Offline
2nd String

(01-02-2013 10:58 PM)Monarch Maniac 10 Wrote:  I disagree with him. New conference, new coach. It's inevitable. You cannot lose to both W&M and JMU while starting the season 2-12 and expect to keep your job. Even the most accomplished coach would be on the hot seat.

Good point. I don't care where you're coaching, a 2-12 season is hardly acceptable on ANY level. He's gotta go.
01-03-2013 11:35 AM
ODU Hugh Offline
1st String

Blaine whining about the schedule is what really gets me. We've had VCU and Murray State, big deal. It's not like we have a top 50 SOS or something. We've had plenty of cupcakes.
01-03-2013 06:49 PM
ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

The 2010-11 team would likely have been undefeated with this schedule.
01-03-2013 09:36 PM
Heisman

I think Blaine is trying to trick the uninformed, casual fan into thinking we've played a much tougher schedule.
Those of us who actually pay attention and actually know what rpi stands for realize this is the easiest ooc schedule that we've played in at least half a decade and we even went 1-2 at our own sham tournament.

That's the only reason I can think of to act like we've played an acc schedule or something.
01-03-2013 09:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.