Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rod Carey
Bookmark and Share
RedShark27 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
Rod Carey
Over matched and embarrassed. Why they didn't interim him is terrible.
01-02-2013 02:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUSox10 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
RE: Rod Carey
Not fair to judge a HC on his first game being a HC, in a BCS game.....
01-02-2013 02:07 AM
NIU17 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Didn't like the Lynch runs up the middle when it wasn't working, but they have done that in other games too. His fake punt and onside kick worked to perfection. Difference in game was interception, fumble, Bass penalty, dropped passes, bad passes, and FSU was better. Their fullback wasn't that fast, but our angles made him look like Deion Sanders. We had our chances but didn't take advantage of them. Don't think coaching was the difference.
01-02-2013 02:13 AM
NIUHuskie Offline
1st String

(01-02-2013 02:13 AM)NIU17 Wrote:  Didn't like the Lynch runs up the middle when it wasn't working, but they have done that in other games too. His fake punt and onside kick worked to perfection. Difference in game was interception, fumble, Bass penalty, dropped passes, bad passes, and FSU was better. Their fullback wasn't that fast, but our angles made him look like Deion Sanders. We had our chances but didn't take advantage of them. Don't think coaching was the difference.

+1

And some bad calls didn't help either.
01-02-2013 02:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Huskiefan38 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies!!!
Re: Rod Carey
Coach Carey made the offensive play calls all year fyi
01-02-2013 05:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PiKappNoleATL Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Florida State
This was his first game as a head coach anywhere in college football. His inexperienced only showed in 2 areas -
  • Unable to adapt the game plan. Called too many QB keepers and just stuck with the same offense far too long in the game
  • Post game press conference. Had some good opportunities to discuss NIU's future but only seemed to pout and then lie for Jordan. Carey obviously needs some press training.

Time will only tell if he has what takes but the hire might have been too quick considering that Gus Malzahn took the Arkansas State job. I think with the attention of a BCS game, NIU could have chosen a more experienced coach for sure.
01-02-2013 07:43 AM
Advertisement

RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
I actually thought he did an excellent job coaching in this game. The team was well prepared and executed for the most part as best as they could. I look forward to having him around for a while.
01-02-2013 08:55 AM
NIU010 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: HUSKIES!
Under the circumstances, I think he did a fine job as well. While he called plays all year, calling a game on the field is completely different from up in the box, and whoever may have been his eyes up there just didn't have the same feel for things as he had this season. Also, while those qb traps were for the most part a fool's call, it looked like they were tweaking the double and kickout schemes without (obviously) much success...I had to leave the comforts of wi-fi to begin our trek home and didn't get to re-watch more than I wanted, but it does seem like DD's departure affected our in-game scheming. Regardless, it was an awesome display by the FSU front 7 yet we still had chances.

Both he and Lynch could have handled the media much better, but I'll take all the warts and growing pains after the ride they took us on. Ok, almost my shift to drive... Safe travels, folks.
01-02-2013 09:54 AM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

Carey had his team in the game through three quarters against a bigger faster opponent. Lynch had a bad night, if he had hit an open Montel Moore on a couple of occasions Q4 might have been close as well. That said, I am happy that I will have the opportunity to watch Lynch play next season.
01-02-2013 10:01 AM
NiuCoils Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES

Donators
(01-02-2013 02:16 AM)NIUHuskie Wrote:  
(01-02-2013 02:13 AM)NIU17 Wrote:  Didn't like the Lynch runs up the middle when it wasn't working, but they have done that in other games too. His fake punt and onside kick worked to perfection. Difference in game was interception, fumble, Bass penalty, dropped passes, bad passes, and FSU was better. Their fullback wasn't that fast, but our angles made him look like Deion Sanders. We had our chances but didn't take advantage of them. Don't think coaching was the difference.

+1

+2 Loved the trick plays. I still support the coach.
01-02-2013 10:05 AM
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I knew someone was going to try to throw him under the bus if we didn't win by at least 72 points.

I think he did well. Maybe a few too many QB draws and not enough use of Daniels, but the bottom line is we got out muscled. Calling for the onside kick was a gutsy move, but he knew they had to do something.

I'll wait til the end of next season before I start calling for heads.
01-02-2013 10:06 AM
Advertisement

yesman815 Offline
All American

You guys keep saying Lynch had a bad night! True he did but it was because we played a good defense #2 in the nation BCS defense, this wasnt the MAC!

Also I agree with what someone said about this BCS game gave us exposure and we could of waited interviewed and hired an experienced coach over Carey

Time will tell if he was the right for but in all honesty we should have interviewed others
01-02-2013 10:25 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-02-2013 02:16 AM)NIUHuskie Wrote:  

+1

+2
01-02-2013 10:27 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-02-2013 07:43 AM)PiKappNoleATL Wrote:  This was his first game as a head coach anywhere in college football. His inexperienced only showed in 2 areas -
  • Unable to adapt the game plan. Called too many QB keepers and just stuck with the same offense far too long in the game
  • Post game press conference. Had some good opportunities to discuss NIU's future but only seemed to pout and then lie for Jordan. Carey obviously needs some press training.

Time will only tell if he has what takes but the hire might have been too quick considering that Gus Malzahn took the Arkansas State job. I think with the attention of a BCS game, NIU could have chosen a more experienced coach for sure.

+1
01-02-2013 10:28 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Wish DD could have stayed 4 more weeks. Not that I blame him for leaving.
01-02-2013 10:29 AM
NIU75 Offline
All American

(01-02-2013 02:03 AM)RedShark27 Wrote:  Over matched and embarrassed. Why they didn't interim him is terrible.
Many of us were saying the same thing about DD and JL after the Iowa game. We will be just fine or better next year.
01-02-2013 10:31 AM
Advertisement

Huskiefan38 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies!!!
I did notice we didn't adjust as well this game as previous games this season, but its hard to prove that is the fault of coaching...
01-02-2013 10:33 AM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
We have another great coach. He did a great job in getting us ready to play. Huskie FB future is bright.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
01-02-2013 10:36 AM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
DD would have calmed Jordan Lynch and got allot more out of the team.
Still Carey cannot be faulted for his first performance on the most visible stage in NIU FB history.
01-02-2013 10:38 AM
niucyberdawg Offline
1st String

sometimes posts after the battlefield is cleared need less emotional analysis.

ripping on Carey is absolutely ridiculous.

I would suspect many in the coaching profession are giving him alot of KUDOS for preparing and keeping his team in the game late into the third quarter.

Imagine an understudy in some small playhouse in Chgoland suddenly landing the lead role on Broadway.
01-02-2013 12:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.