Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Possibly a better path to take.
Bookmark and Share
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
Go indy in FB, and beg to join the Catholic7 in BB.

Football

A) No matter how mediocre the FB team, they ALL get brought up in expansion talks. Navy, Army, BYU, ND. They all get asked.

B) Schedule as many SEC and BigXII teams as you can and just win what you can. If you can get those games on the schedule, the TV money takes care of itself. The TV exposure takes care of itself. I would much rather play on ESPN and NBC 8 times a year because of our competition being televised by THEIR TV deals than play on CBSSports 4 or 5 times per year.

C) Eventually, we will be good enough or we won't. But we wouldn't have to suffer a bunch of fools talking us down about our conference affiliation and how we don't play anybody. Independents always seem to get mentioned in conf. expansion as a logical addition because they don't have any entanglements to get out of.

Basketball

Obvious.
01-01-2013 11:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame
RE: Possibly a better path to take.
Might as well drop the football program. Going independent would destroy it. Only Notre Dame, BYU, Army and Navy can get away with it because of their national followings. Memphis as an independent with no conference support, money or bowl tie-ins would fall completely into the abyss within five years.
01-01-2013 11:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
geosnooker2000 Offline

(01-01-2013 11:21 PM)JMSTiger Wrote:  Might as well drop the football program. Going independent would destroy it. Only Notre Dame, BYU, Army and Navy can get away with it because of their national followings. Memphis as an independent with no conference support, money or bowl tie-ins would fall completely into the abyss within five years.

Unless we were playing a Big6 schedule. Did you even read my reasoning? Or just go with your standard response to any mention of going indy?
01-01-2013 11:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
geosnooker2000 Offline

Answered a different way, how much money was C-USA good for last year in TV money, our split of the Bowl revenue, and NCAA tourny credits?
01-01-2013 11:25 PM
BinghamptonNed Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-01-2013 11:25 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Answered a different way, how much money was C-USA good for last year in TV money, our split of the Bowl revenue, and NCAA tourny credits?

there is a zero chance we go indy.

if we went indy, we would have no tv contract And no bowls, when recruits figured this out we would have far less talent than now..
01-01-2013 11:40 PM
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline

(01-01-2013 11:40 PM)BinghamptonNed Wrote:  
(01-01-2013 11:25 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Answered a different way, how much money was C-USA good for last year in TV money, our split of the Bowl revenue, and NCAA tourny credits?

if we went indy, we would have no tv contract And no bowls, when recruits figured this out we would have far less talent than now..

You know as well as I, you win 7 or 8 games, ESPECIALLY the games I'm talking about, you get in a bowl somewhere.

And you are talking about losing less than 2 mil per year benefit by leaving C-USA. Not to mention the fact that we would regain some of that loss on the BB affiliation if we could get into the Catholic7. Hell, the student fees are over $7.5 million. The C-USA/newBigEast money is/will be a drop in the bucket. Which schedule would you rather sell? Which one would bring more people to the Liberty Bowl on a Saturday? Which one would yield more games on NATIONAL TV?

BigEast:

stAte (H)
Ole Miss (A) ESPN
East Carolina (H)
MTSU (A)
Duke (H) ESPN
UConn (A)
Cinncy (H)
SMU (A)
Houston (H)
UCF (A)
South Florida (H)
Temple (A)

Or, Independent:

stAte (H)
Ole Miss (A) ESPN
Duke (H) ESPN
Texas (A) LongHorn Network (GET PAID)
Miss St. (H) ESPN
Tenn (A) ESPN
Auburn (A) ESPN
TCU (H) ESPN or FOX
Kansas (H) ESPN of FOX
Arkansas (A) ESPN
Southern Miss (H)
Cinncy (A) ???
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 12:26 AM by geosnooker2000.)
01-02-2013 12:25 AM
lenetzach Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Tigers
(01-02-2013 12:25 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

You know as well as I, you win 7 or 8 games, ESPECIALLY the games I'm talking about, you get in a bowl somewhere.

And you are talking about losing less than 2 mil per year benefit by leaving C-USA. Not to mention the fact that we would regain some of that loss on the BB affiliation if we could get into the Catholic7. Hell, the student fees are over $7.5 million. The C-USA/newBigEast money is/will be a drop in the bucket. Which schedule would you rather sell? Which one would bring more people to the Liberty Bowl on a Saturday? Which one would yield more games on NATIONAL TV?

BigEast:

stAte (H)
Ole Miss (A) ESPN
East Carolina (H)
MTSU (A)
Duke (H) ESPN
UConn (A)
Cinncy (H)
SMU (A)
Houston (H)
UCF (A)
South Florida (H)
Temple (A)

Or, Independent:

stAte (H)
Ole Miss (A) ESPN
Duke (H) ESPN
Texas (A) LongHorn Network (GET PAID)
Miss St. (H) ESPN
Tenn (A) ESPN
Auburn (A) ESPN
TCU (H) ESPN or FOX
Kansas (H) ESPN of FOX
Arkansas (A) ESPN
Southern Miss (H)
Cinncy (A) ???

A team like Texas will pay at least $1M for a FBS buy game.

BYU has independent bowl tie ins and we can certainly get one with the Liberty Bowl.

Even if we can't do quite that schedule we can still make about as much money off football alone as we have been making for all sports in CUSA.

I'm not arguing that it is the best option yet, but it is better than the worst option, it's better than staying with CUSA or worse, and it might be better than some new conference options.

It would take some marbles to be willing to do it, but is more realistic than some of my friends believe.
01-02-2013 12:35 AM
azredbirds Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
This was my thought when the C7 split....If nothing else, schedule a few regional rivals for some "winnable" games, and then schedule 4 or 5 games where we'll obstensibly get our brains beat in for money. Balance the budget that way and have a much more marketable basketball product. Eventually, maybe the football team improves, we start playing those "buy" games tough and then make our football product more marketable to a power conference.
01-02-2013 12:41 AM
72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Re: Possibly a better path to take.
Most teams dont have many open dates available to schedule nonconference games once conference play has started. You could schedule some of those games early, but you'd have to backfill later in the year with 1AA teams, Idaho, NMSU...

Idaho and NMSU would want return games as well. The whole independent route has scheduling problems written all over it.
01-02-2013 06:57 AM
Advertisement

TIGERBUDDY Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
You do realize that once you start those winning those supposedly buy games then those teams will no longer schedule you to play. Then what do you do? Contracts can be broken as we found out when we started winning against some ot the SEC teams. You mention that if we win then conferences will start contacting us to join. I don't think the major conferences would do that. Just look at the BYU, AFA,Navy, etc. They were only contacted by the conference that we are already in. The Big East. We would not be better off as an independent.
01-02-2013 08:23 AM
TIGERBUDDY Offline
All American

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
You do realize that once you start winning those supposedly buy games then those teams will no longer schedule you to play. Then what do you do? Contracts can be broken as we found out when we started winning against some ot the SEC teams. You mention that if we win, then conferences will start contacting us to join. I don't think the major conferences would do that. Just look at the BYU, AFA,Navy, etc. They were only contacted by the conference that we are already in, the Big East. We would not be better off as an independent.
01-02-2013 08:24 AM
TigerLogic Offline
@MarionTiger

I Root For: The Gringo
Many of us remember the no-affiliation days, and they sucked.

While I get what you are getting at, I think the assumption that we can get games we want is unrealistic. If going Indy was remotely feasible, there would be lots of indy teams since conference membership is such a hassle lately.

What kind of oly sports is the C7 going to have?
01-02-2013 08:37 AM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
We would likely make less money indy, in the long run, than we would in what's left of the nBE. Not sure why the C7 w/ G'town and Marquette is any better than UC, UConn and Temple, unless they all go, too.
01-02-2013 09:49 AM
Advertisement

RamblinRed Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
C7 isn't going to be interested in any school that plays FB. They have already shown that. They want a basketball only league and they are not going to look at any school that plays FBS football. That's why they decided to finally break from the current BE.

RamblinRed
01-02-2013 09:54 AM
RamblinRed Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
C7 isn't going to be interested in any school that plays FB. They have already shown that. They want a basketball only league and they are not going to look at any school that plays FBS football. That's why they decided to finally break from the current BE.

RamblinRed
01-02-2013 09:54 AM
madtiger Offline
Hoops Hater, Shill, and Pro Boot Licker

We aren't going Indy.

If folks can't understand that, then I don't know what to tell you.
01-02-2013 11:07 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
(01-02-2013 11:07 AM)madtiger Wrote:  We aren't going Indy.

If folks can't understand that, then I don't know what to tell you.

This ^^^^^^^^
01-02-2013 11:23 AM
Advertisement

Briskbas Offline
Heisman

1. Go Independent

3. Profit!
01-02-2013 11:27 AM
geosnooker2000 Offline

I agree. Going independent is not going to happen.

In other news,

Congress will not balance the budget.
Fat people will continue to dine at McDonald's.
Kroger will dis-continue your favorite flavor of bread or coffee.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 07:05 PM by geosnooker2000.)
01-02-2013 07:04 PM
CKMcDan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(01-02-2013 12:25 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  
(01-01-2013 11:25 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

Ask Louisiana Tech how that worked out for them.
01-02-2013 07:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.